Jump to content
Al Hadi

Info on some of khamanei's(ha) fatwas

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

But he said even without lust you still can't look at her. I don't get any lustful feelings when I see a girl with make up on, I have to look at them because I work with some of them at my job. Just to clarify, the person responding to your questions isn't the actual marja Sayed Ali Khamenei, it's the shiekhs that represent him that do it. The shiekhs translate the fatwa from farsi to english, so I think they mistranslated it on accident and it changed the english version of the fatwa a little bit.

Ya your right the offices of these marjas that answer istiftat in English are not the actual marjas. I think only a few marjas actually answer the istiftat questions themselves and even those very few  don't do it in English at least to my knowledge I would be surprised if there were any that did.

And ya also I don't even think those are translated fatwas some of these are shaykhs who put ruling in English and the marja doesn't look at the book even he signs off on it though cause the person may have trust from him or other high ranking people at his office who also hold the authority to sign off on this stuff and it definitely can have things that don't accurately portray the fatwas and I have seen examples of this myself like when looking at Sayed sistanis English book and comparing a fatwa there to his Arabic I saw a pretty big difference between the fatwas almost to the point where I thought the English version made my actions batil. So these things do have issues. unfortunately there is not much attention paid to the English resources as there should be.

Email Shaykh Hamza if you can or call iec Houston I might do the same actually, or email sheikh Shomali I heard he is also a muqallid of Khamenei.

 

Edited by Al Hadi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

Ya your right the offices of these marjas that answer istiftat in English are not the actual marjas. I think only a few marjas actually answer the istiftat questions themselves and even those very few  don't do it in English at least to my knowledge I would be surprised if there were any that did.

And ya also I don't even think those are translated fatwas some of these are shaykhs who put ruling in English and the marja doesn't look at the book even he signs off on it though cause the person may have trust from him or other high ranking people at his office who also hold the authority to sign off on this stuff and it definitely can have things that don't accurately portray the ftwas and I have seenexamples of this myself like when looking at Sayed sistanis English book and comparing a fatwa there to his Arabic I saw a pretty big difference between the fatwas almost to the point where I thought the English version made my actions batil. So these things do have issues. unfortunately there is not much attention paid to the English resources as there should be.

Email Shaykh Hamza if you can or call iec Houston I might do the same actually, or email sheikh Shomali I heard he is also a muqallid of Khamenei.

I will look into it bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

I will look into it bro

I emailed shaykh Shomali on the make up thing if you find other sources like shaykh Hamza put it here it would be good for people to get clarification on these fatwas by putting them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, Al Hadi said:

1.Is it true wearing a tie is haram according to sayed al qaid al khamanei(God bless him) if so how do his followers in western countries get jobs and stuff I'm wondering cause a lot of them to my knowledge require ties?

It says on his website

http://leader.ir/en/book/38

under social and cultural issues

To Wear a Tie
In general, it is not permissible to wear a tie or the clothes which are considered as the clothing of non-Muslims so that wearing them amounts to promoting the low western culture.
 

 

Curious why this is limited to ties when the suit and tie started together in the west:

"In the early 19th century, British dandy Beau Brummell redefined and adapted this style, then popularised it, leading European men to wearing well-cut, tailored clothes, adorned with carefully knotted neckties. The simplicity of the new clothes and their sombre colours contrasted strongly with the extravagant, foppish styles just before. Brummell's influence introduced the modern era of men's clothing which now includes the modern suit and necktie. Moreover, he introduced a whole new era of grooming and style, including regular (daily) bathing as part of a man's toilette."

Jeans, Polo (collared) shirts, t-shirts, etc are all western wear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2017 at 7:13 AM, Ali_Hussain said:

I can't see how someone like sayed Sistani could defend being against neck ties do to them being an imitation of the kufar, when he supports imitation of the kufar when it comes to Muharram.

Do I open this can of worms or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Curious why this is limited to ties when the suit and tie started together in the west:

"In the early 19th century, British dandy Beau Brummell redefined and adapted this style, then popularised it, leading European men to wearing well-cut, tailored clothes, adorned with carefully knotted neckties. The simplicity of the new clothes and their sombre colours contrasted strongly with the extravagant, foppish styles just before. Brummell's influence introduced the modern era of men's clothing which now includes the modern suit and necktie. Moreover, he introduced a whole new era of grooming and style, including regular (daily) bathing as part of a man's toilette."

Jeans, Polo (collared) shirts, t-shirts, etc are all western wear.

 

It's not limited to ties, it's anything that promotes the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Curious why this is limited to ties when the suit and tie started together in the west:

I have heard that ties represented the christian cross.Not sure how accurate is this though, could just another wahabbi cooked theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, starlight said:

There is nothing from our marjas that forbids wearing suits, trousers and dress shirts.

Sayed Khamenei says anything that promotes the west is haram, and if a suit does that than it's not permissible to wear one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hassan Y said:

Sayed Khamenei says anything that promotes the west is haram, and if a suit does that than it's not permissible to wear one.

That's my confusion. A tie is as western as a suit.

5 minutes ago, starlight said:

I have heard that ties represented the christian cross.

At least that would make some sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

Sayed Khamenei says anything that promotes the west is haram, and if a suit does that than it's not permissible to wear one.

That's rather confusing you know because some of the prominent shia scholars, like Dr. Sekaleshfar here, have been seen wearing western clothes, so are the committing haram? 

Image result for ayatollah sekaleshfar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has nothing to do with "Western" style as a whole. That's a misnomer.

It has to do with certain articles of clothing with specific symbolisms in specific contexts. Just like when early Muslims were encouraged to dye their beards black to distinguish themselves from others, as Muslims needed to have a separate identity. For the tie, it's a potent symbol of the political and business class, and a part of that identity of those in global power which is hostile to Muslims. Therefore, it's an attempt to make Muslims feel different, in a similar tradition to the past, and stopping us from completely emulating others 100% (so there's some differentiation). 

Such a proposition is much more sound, modest, practical and culturally acceptable than telling everyone to wear a thwab to work. 

Edited by magma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, starlight said:

That's rather confusing you know because some of the prominent shia scholars, like Dr. Sekaleshfar here, have been seen wearing western clothes, so are the committing haram? 

Image result for ayatollah sekaleshfar

I already explained this to Al hadi on the second page about this, here ill copy paste it.

Not all clothes in the west promote its culture. If I wear jeans and go to the middle east for example, would the people there even notice my jeans or think I'm promoting the western culture? They won't because they all wear the same thing or something similar. Clothes that stand out are the ones that should be avoided such as a tie or this or this or that . These are just examples that if someone sees another wearing these, they can easily realize these are of western culture. Where as if you just wear normal clothes like the rest of the world does, than it is not a problem.

Edited by Hassan Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, magma said:

It has nothing to do with "Western" style as a whole. That's a misnomer.

It has to do with certain articles of clothing with specific symbolisms in specific contexts. Just like when early Muslims were encouraged to dye their beards black to distinguish themselves from others, as Muslims needed to have a separate identity. For the tie, it's a potent symbol of the political and business class, and a part of that identity of those in global power which is hostile to Muslims. Therefore, it's an attempt to make Muslims feel different, in a similar tradition to the past, and stopping us from completely emulating others 100% (so there's some differentiation). 

Such a proposition is much more sound, modest, practical and culturally acceptable than telling everyone to wear a thwab to work. 

So what you are saying is that I can wear an Armani Suit and it would be okay but wearing a $150 suit from SuitMart with a tie would not be okay. Correct?

10 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

I already explained this to Al hadi on the second page about this, here ill copy paste it.

Not all clothes in the west promote its culture. If I wear jeans and go to the middle east for example, would the people there even notice my jeans or think I'm promoting the western culture? They won't because they all wear the same thing or something similar. Clothes that stand out are the ones that should be avoided such as a tie or this or this or that . These are just examples that if someone sees another wearing these, they can easily realize these are of western culture. Where as if you just wear normal clothes like the rest of the world does, than it is not a problem.

Ever been to the Middle East brother? I was born there. Suits and ties are common business attire there and across the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

So what you are saying is that I can wear an Armani Suit and it would be okay but wearing a $150 suit from SuitMart with a tie would not be okay. Correct?

Ever been to the Middle East brother? I was born there. Suits and ties are common business attire there and across the world.

The Middle East is composed of mainly Sunnis and that ruling doesn't apply to them. I've never seen a Shi'i in Lebanon wearing a suit and tie. If anyone wears them though than they are sinning, simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

So what you are saying is that I can wear an Armani Suit and it would be okay but wearing a $150 suit from SuitMart with a tie would not be okay. Correct?

I think both would be problematic in their own way. But to each their own. It's a judgment call. People decide how they want to represent themselves and the image they want to project. Allahu alam. 

22 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Ever been to the Middle East brother? I was born there. Suits and ties are common business attire there and across the world.

That's a byproduct of strong post-colonial and hegemonic influence. If people in the Middle East or China think dressing up like James Bond gives them any dignity or the keys to prosperity, so be it. 

How about we wear a suit and tie to hajj? 

Edited by magma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Subject: Miscellaneous Issues
Istifta’ no.: Le1iKxf34g8
Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
As per the given situation, if wearing tie does not amount to promoting the low and rancorous western culture, it is no problem for you.
With prayers for your success
If a person goes to work in western countries and the job makes it obligatory to wear a tie along with work clothes is wearing a tie here permissible or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine one could wear a tie but would have to hide it somehow then when he finally gets to his cubicle he is safe and can take off his jacket covering his tie while making sure no one sees.

That is kind of hard though. Maybe you can tell your boss at work about it.

 

Edited by Al Hadi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, starlight said:

That's rather confusing you know because some of the prominent shia scholars, like Dr. Sekaleshfar here, have been seen wearing western clothes, so are the committing haram? 

Image result for ayatollah sekaleshfar

It depends on urf. If I wear priest clothes that would be haram for example, because that would be imitating Christians. In a similar way, wearing Western clothes - which if you wear it will be considered Western clothing, that would be haram. However clothing which is popular among Westerners and Muslims, that is halal to wear as there is no exclusivity in this regard, and the social customs of people will not refer to it as Western or Eastern or Muslim.

Yes, one can make a case that when suits were first introduced to the Muslims, at that time, they may have been haram, because they would be seen as exclusive Western dressing (imitating kafir cultures).

Edited by E.L King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam,

 

I usually wear a tie where it is expected. One of the options Ayatullah Khamenei (HA) has provided is that,  if you come across a fiqh issue that is new to you, (eg wearing a tie) you are allowed to follow the ruling of another grand marja in that matter. Inshallah, some of the people on this forum can elaborate on this.

 

Salman

Edited by salman1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam

Western culture is not necessarily evil. In the word of one Shaykh interviewed in Qom by SkyNews:

"The west has made some undeniable achievements in science and culture. Iran is not against that. The problem is, we do not believe that is what the west is exporting."

This should apply for all of us. Let's now say if you drive a Ford this counts as exporting western filth. What's wrong with a car? Does it corrupt society? No, it does not, so it falls into the category of "Western achievements in science and culture." (Nowadays though thanks to western sponsorship of terror I wouldn't buy one)

Allahu Alim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

    • 110 Sunni religious scholars mentioned Ghadir event in their book. I really don't understand why Sunni Muslims pretend to be blind on these facts.
    • Lol where are you coming up with these ideas? I had one but I’m not allowed to make a poll up.
    • Living in less gravity or more radiation would necessitate adaptation. Either we would need to use technology to adapt, or we would need to evolve. 
    • One of the most important thing to consider would be that our Holy Prophet pbuh who did even not curse his worst enemies came out in a state when he was sick to chase everyone except a few out of Medina & cursed those who disobeyed him & did not leave Medina at once. "Make haste in joining Usamah's legion. May Allah curse whoever fags behind Usamah's army."   We all know that Abu Bakr and Umar were both supposed to be in that army under an eighteen year old which means they disobeyed the direct orders of the Prophet pbuh and were part of those who were cursed by the Prophet. Just imagine what is going to happen to those who are cursed by the Holy Prophet pbuh.  Now the point to consider is why would our Prophet pbuh take so much pain to make sure everyone he wanted was out of Medina in his final days? Could it be that he envisaged something like Saqifa happening that he wanted to make it a clear ground for Imam Ali's elevation?
×