Al Hadi

Info on some of khamanei's(ha) fatwas

Rate this topic

1.Is it true wearing a tie is haram according to sayed al qaid al khamanei(God bless him) if so how do his followers in western countries get jobs and stuff I'm wondering cause a lot of them to my knowledge require ties?

It says on his website

http://leader.ir/en/book/38

under social and cultural issues

To Wear a Tie
In general, it is not permissible to wear a tie or the clothes which are considered as the clothing of non-Muslims so that wearing them amounts to promoting the low western culture.

2.Also I read he doesn't allow someone to look at a women's face who wears make up how does one deal with this too as many muslim women themselves across the world unfortunately wear make up what does someone do when a girl asks them questions and they have make up on must they look away while responding? Also the hands that are beautified which could mean like nail polish/nail paint or jewelry does a person look away from their hands as well? 

it says on his website

To Look at a Non-maḥram Woman
It is impermissible to look at a non-maḥram woman except for her face and hands up to wrists provided that they are unadorned and looking is without lustful and ill intentions.

http://leader.ir/en/book/38

It is under rules of nonmahram

He also says one cant wear clothes that promote western culture don't all clothes in the west do this? What does one dress if they follow khamanei in the west? Unless I am completely Misinterpreting the fatwas if I am please let me know.

I want to know why though it says this on his website and how his muqallids in the west act on these fatwas.

Edited by Al Hadi

Thats interesting..... I've heard of not being allowed to wear "silk" ties, but no tie completely? Also, it seems like almost 99% of females wear make-up here (in the U.S)..... It would be pretty difficult to avoid this.

1. Wearing a tie is only done in the west and rarely done anywhere else in the world. If you wear a tie you are promoting western culture, which he forbids. It makes sense to not promote western culture because the west are the enemies of Islam.

2. Read what he says carefully. He says you can't look at there face only if your looking at them in a lustful and ill intention. It's not haram to look at a women with make up on unless you violate what he said.

3. Most clothes don't promote western culture. The clothes that are forbidden are the ones that make you stand out in front of people where it easily shows you are promoting the western culture (a tie for example). Wearing clothes that are western brand doesn't necessarily make you stand out because most people in the world wear the same thing or something very similar.

Edited by Hassan Y

9 hours ago, Al Hadi said:

In general, it is not permissible to wear a tie or the clothes which are considered as the clothing of non-Muslims so that wearing them amounts to promoting the low western culture.

Iranians don't wear jeans?

9 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Iranians don't have traditional clothing, apart from clerics, all Iranian men dress like westerners, so it is a strange ruling.

I really think ulema from sayed sistani to sayed khamanei ought to publish their explanations to these rulings, or elaborate further on these rulings.

Like for example their music fatwah's are incredibly vague.

Just now, uponthesunnah said:

I really think ulema from sayed sistani to sayed khamanei ought to publish their explanations to these rulings, or elaborate further on these rulings.

Like for example their music fatwah's are incredibly vague.

At least sayed Khamene'i is fairly consistent in his opposition to foreign influences into Islam. I can't see how someone like sayed Sistani could defend being against neck ties do to them being an imitation of the kufar, when he supports imitation of the kufar when it comes to Muharram.

8 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Thats interesting..... I've heard of not being allowed to wear "silk" ties, but no tie completely? Also, it seems like almost 99% of females wear make-up here (in the U.S)..... It would be pretty difficult to avoid this.

This started with Khomeini. Lookup some old gov't photos.

11 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

I wouldn't say 99% 

but definitely ALOT unfortunately even In Muslim communities it's really sad.

11 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

1. Wearing a tie is only done in the west and rarely done anywhere else in the world. If you wear a tie you are promoting western culture, which he forbids. It makes sense to not promote western culture because the west are the enemies of Islam.

2. Read what he says carefully. He says you can't look at there face only if your looking at them in a lustful and ill intention. It's not haram to look at a women with make up on unless you violate what he said.

3. Most clothes don't promote western culture. The clothes that are forbidden are the ones that make you stand out in front of people where it easily shows you are promoting the western culture (a tie for example). Wearing clothes that are western brand doesn't necessarily make you stand out because most people in the world wear the same thing or something very similar.

1.I guess that makes sense but what about if your living in America need a job finally found one but they require you to wear a tie? It's already hard enough to find a job as a Muslim if what your saying about his fatwa here is true than that would make it even harder. It might be the case that this fatwa only applies to those in Iran as this is the case with makarim shirazi as I have found out.

2. He says specifically 

It is impermissible to look at a non-maḥram woman except for her face and hands up to wrists provided that they are unadorned and looking is without lustful and ill intentions.

he says I can look at their face and hands if they are not adorned as in beautified (which is honestly impossible for some women these days.) beautified as in they put on make up nice jewelry etc... it sounds pretty clear unless they made a mistake. If I'm misreading it please explain by bolding or underlining that may help. Also I can't look at her face and hands if they are unadorned with lustful intentions when they are adorned as in with nice "maybe it's maybaline" or lipstick or nice foundation(all which are very nice for a husband but shouldn't be worn in front of nonmahram) those kind of faces can't be looked at with lustful intentions let alone  nonlustful intentions. (It makes a bit of sense I guess I personally find women who wear make up start to get my lust going so I look away anyways regardless of the fatwa except when they ask me something then I make some eye contact and answer) but I'm wondering is looking allowed in a necessary case like that according to khamanei. If that is what the fatwa actually says unless someone has access to an arabic or Persian source that clarifies this?

3. Clothes in west are western clothes and I can imagine they promote western culture. I would need an example to think otherwise or a good explanation.

Edited by Al Hadi

3 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

They have practically given up their traditional dresses for the "low Western ones," but there seems to be something about ties that Iranians don't like. Perhaps their resemblance with the cross? But that reason is not given and I doubt if the story of its origin in the cross is true. And when every woman wears some sort of makeup, where do you suppose to look at? 

Surreal questions and equally surreal answers.

4 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

When it is customarily not considered a Muslim or a non-Muslim type of clothing, then it is permissible to wear. It all depends on urf, that's how I understood it.

1 hour ago, Al Hadi said:

1.I guess that makes sense but what about if your living in America need a job finally found one but they require you to wear a tie? It's already hard enough to find a job as a Muslim if what your saying about his fatwa here is true than that would make it even harder. It might be the case that this fatwa only applies to those in Iran as this is the case with makarim shirazi as I have found out.

2. He says specifically 

he says I can look at their face and hands if they are not adorned as in beautified (which is honestly impossible for some women these days.) beautified as in they put on make up nice jewelry etc... it sounds pretty clear unless they made a mistake. If I'm misreading it please explain by bolding or underlining that may help. Also I can't look at her face and hands if they are unadorned with lustful intentions when they are adorned as in with nice "maybe it's maybaline" or lipstick or nice foundation(all which are very nice for a husband but shouldn't be worn in front of nonmahram) those kind of faces can't be looked at with lustful intentions let alone  nonlustful intentions. (It makes a bit of sense I guess I personally find women who wear make up start to get my lust going so I look away anyways regardless of the fatwa except when they ask me something then I make some eye contact and answer) but I'm wondering is looking allowed in a necessary case like that according to khamanei. If that is what the fatwa actually says unless someone has access to an arabic or Persian source that clarifies this?

3. Clothes in west are western clothes and I can imagine they promote western culture. I would need an example to think otherwise or a good explanation.

1. In that case, you have to ask the marja yourself here http://leader.ir/en/istifta

2. I don't think the marja explained that sentence properly which can bring a lot of confusion. There must be an explanation for him saying "unadorned" so in that case you should again ask him.

3. Not all clothes in the west promote its culture. If I wear jeans and go to the middle east for example, would the people there even notice my jeans or think I'm promoting the western culture? They won't because they all wear the same thing or something similar. Clothes that stand out are the ones that should be avoided such as a tie or this or this or that . These are just examples that if someone sees another wearing these, they can easily realize these are of western culture. Where as if you just wear normal clothes like the rest of the world does, than it is not a problem.

5 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

1. In that case, you have to ask the marja yourself here http://leader.ir/en/istifta

2. I don't think the marja explained that sentence properly which can bring a lot of confusion. There must be an explanation for him saying "unadorned" so in that case you should again ask him.

3. Not all clothes in the west promote its culture. If I wear jeans and go to the middle east for example, would the people there even notice my jeans or think I'm promoting the western culture? They won't because they all wear the same thing or something similar. Clothes that stand out are the ones that should be avoided such as a tie or this or this or that . These are just examples that if someone sees another wearing these, they can easily realize these are of western culture. Where as if you just wear normal clothes like the rest of the world does, than it is not a problem.

Don't you follow him? I thought someone like you or Kaymar would understand the fatwas better then me reading them. 

Edited by Al Hadi

14 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

Don't you follow him? I thought someone like you or Kaymar would understand the fatwas better then me reading them. 

I explained #3 to you. For #1, that is a personal question where asking him directly will get you the best answer, but if you want my personal opinion, even if finding a job would be harder it would still be haram to wear it unless you are very very desperate finding a job and wearing a tie is the only way to finding one. For #2, it is not haram to look at women with make up on unless it's in a lustful way. I think he must have made an English mistake on his ruling when he said  "provided that they are unadorned ". If this wasn't a mistake, than I will be highly surprised. The best thing to do is to ask him directly.

7 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

I explained #3 to you. For #1, that is a personal question where asking him directly will get you the best answer, but if you want my personal opinion, even if finding a job would be harder it would still be haram to wear it unless you are very very desperate finding a job and wearing a tie is the only way to finding one. For #2, it is not haram to look at women with make up on unless it's in a lustful way. I think he must have made an English mistake on his ruling when he said  "provided that they are unadorned ". If this wasn't a mistake, than I will be highly surprised. The best thing to do is to ask him directly.

Would you like to see the answers I receive when I get them?

I might post them in here though.

Edited by Al Hadi

15 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

Sure why not.

Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
As per the given situation, looking at her is impermissible.
With prayers for your success
A Shia girl wears make up and decides to ask me a Man a question must I look away from her face while I am answering her or may I look at it without lust?
From Leader.ir
I guess it makes some sense cause its kind of hard not to feel lust when you see a women's face that has been beautified and that's me speaking from personal experience. But it still is kind of hard to practice I might send it there way a few more times with more details
Edited by Al Hadi

9 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
As per the given situation, looking at her is impermissible.
With prayers for your success
A Shia girl wears make up and decides to ask me a Man a question must I look away from her face while I am answering her or may I look at it without lust?
From Leader.ir
I guess it makes some sense cause its kind of hard not to feel lust when you see a women's face that has been beautified and that's me speaking from personal experience. But it still is kind of hard to practice I might send it there way a few more times with more details

What!! If he said "its impermissible  to look at them in a lustful way" I'd understand but to not look at women even without lust is kind of absurd to me... I will need to research about this more I'll let you know what I find out.

9 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

What!! If he said "its impermissible  to look at them in a lustful way" I'd understand but to not look at women even without lust is kind of absurd to me... I will need to research about this more I'll let you know what I find out.

I heard some people on this website have the email of shaykh Hamza Sodagar I think he would be a great person to ask I asked for it on this forum

Unfortunately no one has replied maybe ask repenter or someone else who may have it. If you do get it I would appreciate it if you pm'd me with it as well.

Also The tie thing might be good to research too.

In the end for people like you the answer is absurd but for me It kind of makes some sense I start to get bad feelings when I see a girl who has make up on her face that has good looks. When that happens I look away anyways even before I saw this fatwa and keep in mind I didn't really intend lust it kind of just comes on its own because of the beautified face almost like when smelling good food it automatically makes you hungry especially when you haven't really eaten. Similarly here seeing a beautified face I think automatically creates lust but maybe I have a problem or It might be my souls recognition of what's harmful to it. Who knows we will have to double check to find out

20 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

I heard some people on this website have the email of shaykh Hamza Sodagar I think he would be a great person to ask I asked for it on this forum

Unfortunately no one has replied maybe ask repenter or someone else who may have it. If you do get it I would appreciate it if you pm'd me with it as well.

Also The tie thing might be good to research too.

In the end for people like you the answer is absurd but for me It kind of makes some sense I start to get bad feelings when I see a girl who has make up on her face that has good looks. When that happens I look away anyways even before I saw this fatwa and keep in mind I didn't really intend lust it kind of just comes on its own because of the beautified face almost like when smelling good food it automatically makes you hungry especially when you haven't really eaten. Similarly here seeing a beautified face I think automatically creates lust but maybe I have a problem or It might be my souls recognition of what's harmful to it. Who knows we will have to double check to find out

But he said even without lust you still can't look at her. I don't get any lustful feelings when I see a girl with make up on, I have to look at them because I work with some of them at my job. Just to clarify, the person responding to your questions isn't the actual marja Sayed Ali Khamenei, it's the shiekhs that represent him that do it. The shiekhs translate the fatwa from farsi to english, so I think they mistranslated it on accident and it changed the english version of the fatwa a little bit.