magma

A Critique of Post-Modernism

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Defined Per Wikipedia:

Postmodernism describes both an era and a broad movement that developed in the mid to late 20th century across philosophythe artsarchitecture, and criticism which marked a departure from modernism.[1][2][3] While encompassing a broad range of ideas and projects, postmodernism is typically defined by an attitude of skepticism or distrust toward grand narrativesideologies, and various tenets of Enlightenment rationality, including the existence of objective reality and absolute truth, as well as notions of rationalityhuman nature, and progress.[4] Instead, it asserts that knowledge and truth are the product of unique systems of social, historical, or political discourse and interpretation, and are therefore contextual and constructed to varying degrees. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to epistemological and moral relativismpluralismself-referentiality, and irony.[4]

-----

My take:

From the get-go, the starting foundation of postmodernism is inherently flawed. Instead of acknowledging the existence of an absolute truth as a first principle, with the subsequent goal of discovering and defining it, postmodernism refuses to even play ball at all, rejecting the very notion of "playing the game". 

This philosophy exploits the obscurantism and ambiguity of a complex world to mask its inherent cowardice and nihilism. Lazily stating everything is relative and contextual is a nice diversion from having to decipher anything in the ultimate context of all -namely the truth beyond the sum total of human capacity. 

Thats exactly what this comes down to. Does truth create humans, or do humans create truth? This is the fundamental question. The claiming of the latter gives humans more control and appropriation of reality than they really have or deserve, but it fits nicely with the agenda of self-serving arrogance.

In its purest form, this philosophy exonerates anything by absolving it of accountability beyond its own inherent construction, reduces truth to a simple cause and effect, and demeans the very concept of truth seeking at its core, all for self-important ends. 

shirazi5 and hasanhh like this

You criticized Quranism in your previous post. Now you are crticizing "post modernism". What is your agenda? What can we expect next? A critique of Wahabism?

Edited by magma
Removed long quote

4 minutes ago, Yousuf said:

What can we expect next? A critique of Wahabism?

Not a bad idea!

What do you think of this topic?

Dhulfikar likes this

Just now, magma said:

Not a bad idea!

What do you think of this topic?

So are you are shia or a sunni?

1 minute ago, Yousuf said:

So are you are shia or a sunni?

Well, ShiaChat normally doesn't have Sunni moderators. 

This isn't much of a critique of the philosophy so much as it is simply restating the given definition of the philosophy and the possible implications of it being true in a negative manner. You don't really bring any argument against it except to say it must be wrong or saying "Oh, look, it must be untrue because there are so and so negative consequences if it were true" without even giving a reason as to why the existence of negative consequences makes it a false idea somehow. Drugs have negative consequences but they do exist, do they not?

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

11 minutes ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

This isn't much of a critique of the philosophy so much as it is simply restating the given definition of the philosophy and the possible implications of it being true in a negative manner.

I think the first paragraph is a critique. 

"From the get-go, the starting foundation of postmodernism is inherently flawed. Instead of acknowledging the existence of an absolute truth as a first principle, with the subsequent goal of discovering and defining it, postmodernism refuses to even play ball at all, rejecting the very notion of "playing the game"."

----

Here I'm not discussing a negative implication, I'm discussing a base assumption inherent to the philosophy. The fact that the existence of an absolute truth is seen as a non-starter is an inherent flaw, before any downstream examination has even taken place (and hence any assessment of implication). The critique being, that's quite the assumption to make!

Edited by magma

Yes, I understand what you said quite clearly but a postmodernist is not actually going to debate you on that. He'll probably be proud of it as you may have said it in a negative tone but that is exactly what he is arguing for. A critique must necessarily be more then the statement of a position and must somehow challenge the other person's adherence to that position. Otherwise, what's the point?

As for the gravity of such an assumption, sure, that could be a good criticism but in the modern academic discourse, challenging the bases of what are considered fundamental truths is not only not discouraged but at times even considered necessary. Sure, the same can lead to ridiculous propositions and a complete dissociation from reality but given that the nature of belief necessitates that individuals once considered things like the superiority of one race over another or the earth being flat as fundamental truths, to argue that one should not argue is not much of an argument at all.

My english literary course is on this subject!!!

However I don't pay much attention in class so I cannot develop my own opinions...

definitely in the future once I succumb to more information, peace

My understanding about post-Modernism is that it is one aspect of the late-20th Century fad of denying any zero-based belief system. (There is a text by a man named Bem that summarizes this well.)

A zero-base is the start point of what is valued. Then belief systems are based on this, built-up.

This can also be compared with the art scene: you really do not have to 'know' much to participate. While you can chatter-class for hours about paint strokes and implied meanings, with denial of zero-order belief systems claiming everything 'is relative' then you can chatter-class for hours dismissively commenting about nearly anything.

11 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

A critique must necessarily be more then the statement of a position and must somehow challenge the other person's adherence to that position. Otherwise, what's the point?

I think that's what I attempted to do. 

11 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

As for the gravity of such an assumption, sure, that could be a good criticism but in the modern academic discourse, challenging the bases of what are considered fundamental truths is not only not discouraged but at times even considered necessary. Sure, the same can lead to ridiculous propositions and a complete dissociation from reality but given that the nature of belief necessitates that individuals once considered things like the superiority of one race over another or the earth being flat as fundamental truths, to argue that one should not argue is not much of an argument at all.

That's what I did. I challenged the basis of their "fundamental truth", which is that truth is the conpartmentalized creation of human factors, without any absolute reality beyond the sum total parts of these isolated "truth islands". It's a negative statement, a dangerous first principle, and I even suggested the non-constructive and futile intentions behind it.