Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

British curry houses

Long article about the culinary impact of curry on the UK:

Across the country, in any town big enough, you could guarantee that there would be at least one Kismet or equivalent, set up by enterprising Bangladeshi or Pakistani families.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/12/who-killed-the-british-curry-house

A Brit visited India and eager to try the famous Indian cuisine went to a restaurant and ordered his favourite "Indian" dish, Chicken Tikka Masala, with great excitement, only to be told that there is no such thing in India.

Few know that things like Chicken Tikka Masala, Balti Chicken and what passes for Chicken Karahi in Britain are all British desi inventions.

By the way, the ball was set rolling in the last two years of Labour government when radical changes in immigration laws put barriers for expert chefs from the subcontinent getting visas. The situation has only worsened since then. I have friends who complain of the declining quality of desi food in restaurants and takeaways. People who are preparing curries are as good as me when I have to make chicken korma which only I can eat and none else.

Edited by Marbles