Mohamed1993

Obama's speech

8 posts in this topic

Obama just gave his final speech and my social media is filled with liberals going crazy about how he will be missed and how he has so much class and integrity. With over 26000 bombs dropped this year alone, 38 billion dollars to israel, weapons sales to Saudi to bomb yemeni children, mass deportations, surveillance etc, I don't know what keeps these people in the dark. Yeah Donald Trump is worse, but to be honest, I think America has seen a lot of his policies already, and yes, Donald Trump says scary stuff, but really is a fancy shmnacy rhetoric all people need now to keep them in their protective little bubble? Can you not judge the actual policy than the rhetoric? This kind of thinking is why I think America has maintained its democratic charade for so long, this ability to control people through politician rhetoric is all it takes and people will continue voting for these types of politicians. For the record, I do think Obama has done some good domestically and with respect to climate change, but there's a lot that has stained his presidency. 

2 people like this

I think the administration did relatively well. I was worried we would have an Iraq 2.0 with events in syria. So, im content with troops not being dropped in during early stages of the uprising (still wondering how Russia is going to get out in one piece). Im also content with Kerrys recent response to Israeli settlements. Israel has been supported extensively for years now.  Simply acknowledging issues with settlement construction during peace talks I think was pretty bold and it was nice to see that put on the table. I do think the block on state bans of same sex marriage was positive as well (though of course people on this website likely wouldnt agree).

Not a fan of obama care, though i suppose i cant complain about health care, as it has saved my life.

Economy has been recovering, low unemployment, more hiring and economic growth. Cant complain.

Edited by iCambrian

@iCambrian

Tbf, Obama did his Iraq in Libya, now that place is a terrorist haven, and there's serious threat of these groups moving into neighbouring African countries. With response to Israel, I would rather not have empty rhetoric and see some action, under Obama there was 1 UN resolution against Israel, under Reagen there were 21, Bush Senior, 15, Bush Junior, 9, Clinton, 3. To be honest, the democrats have actually been surprisingly more pro-Israel than the republicans and the policy seems to have shifted further to the right in Obama's two terms. And also, Obama had a chance in 2011 to let a resolution pass, he vetoed it, which to me suggests a great deal of cowardice on his part, may have been a political move, but if every president justifies it that way, I don't see how we can hope for peace. To wait till the very end to let a resolution pass wouldn't achieve much, because no action could follow. 

I don't have as much to say on his domestic policies, though people were not happy with him bailing out the banks and authorizing monsanto, as well as his policies on surveillance, Guantanamo and also, as much slack as people are giving Trump for his anti-mexican stance, Obama deported a lot of illegals too.

I can see why people liked Obama, I don't believe many people really care about foreign policy or know much about it at all, so I can see how they like Obama, but it bothers me to see civilians suffer anywhere in this world, we're all human beings, it counts just as much when people suffer elsewhere as when they do here, we all deserve to live in peace and harmony. 

Though i wouldnt consider Lybia an Iraq 2.0, I do tend to agree that really any US involvement with regards to supporting or taking down some of these governments, really seems to be a mistake.  

I think it would be best if these countries internally developed their own identity, as opposed to foreign nations weighting in and determining their identity for them (I think this includes Russian involvement as well).

Thats about all I've got.

And yea, there are definitely moral discussions to be had. Some view world politics like a game of chess.  Seems insensitive.

In regards to the US Israel relations, I wouldnt know which direction things are moving, just satisfied with political figures openly recognizing what appear to be bad actions of Israel.

Edited by iCambrian

If you guys think as an american i think he did pretty good. Economy is much better shape, he passed healthcare, improved auto industry, end to iraq waq. I think he was good.  

7 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

If you guys think as an american i think he did pretty good. Economy is much better shape, he passed healthcare, improved auto industry, end to iraq waq. I think he was good.  

Hmm, I suppose I tend to analyse presidents based on a non-American/global perspective. But I think a lot of people that voted for Trump this time around, though many were racist, a lot were sold by his non-interventionist rhetoric (yes, it was simply rhetoric, I don't think he plans on acting on any of it) because many are seeing the blow back in terms of increased terrorism in the West as a result of Obama and Clinton's Middle East policies, in particular, the arming of opposition groups in Syria, who have been repeatedly found to have links to Al-Qaeda. Of course, some of this is just fox news fearmongering because of their republican loyalties, but some of it has some value.

5 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Hmm, I suppose I tend to analyse presidents based on a non-American/global perspective. But I think a lot of people that voted for Trump this time around, though many were racist, a lot were sold by his non-interventionist rhetoric (yes, it was simply rhetoric, I don't think he plans on acting on any of it) because many are seeing the blow back in terms of increased terrorism in the West as a result of Obama and Clinton's Middle East policies, in particular, the arming of opposition groups in Syria, who have been repeatedly found to have links to Al-Qaeda. Of course, some of this is just fox news fearmongering because of their republican loyalties, but some of it has some value.

Similar to what we see occurring in other countries like the UK (Brexit) and France, I don't think trumps election really ran on a "non interventionist" kind of tone.  Rather it was/is more of a "I dont like them, we are going to kick their butts" tone. Only with respect to Syria does it appear to potentially be non interventionist, simply because the script has flipped with respect to who exactly it is that is fighting for control in Syria, along with the pre existing presence of Russia, who Trump appears to be fond of.

What were you referring to when you spoke of his non interventionist rhetoric?

35 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

Similar to what we see occurring in other countries like the UK (Brexit) and France, I don't think trumps election really ran on a "non interventionist" kind of tone.  Rather it was/is more of a "I dont like them, we are going to kick their butts" tone. Only with respect to Syria does it appear to potentially be non interventionist, simply because the script has flipped with respect to who exactly it is that is fighting for control in Syria, along with the pre existing presence of Russia, who Trump appears to be fond of.

What were you referring to when you spoke of his non interventionist rhetoric?

He pretended to oppose Iraq and Libya, but I don't think he really had a clue but people bought into that without doing adequate research, and also, he was for letting Russia handle Syria, which is a policy I actually agree with, ideally it would be nice if everyone left Syria alone to decide their own fate but with the presence of terrorist groups backed by the Gulf states, which would undoubtedly lead to a worse outcome, I think Assad is a better alternative, even though he obviously has a blood on his hands too. Also, hillary Clinton opposed Russia and Putin so much, I think it scared people about the prospects of nuclear war, and given her hawkishness, I think that has some validity.