Reza

Work is Depressing

Found this post online. Any comments from you all? Agree, disagree? Share the same feelings or not?

-------

I don't understand how everyone who works isn't depressed. The idea of working seems really depressing to me and there doesn't seem to be any other choice than to not work and become homeless (which is also depressing). 

I'm not sure if I'm depressed or not. If I just stay at home and do things to escape reality (such as watching TV, listening to music, or playing video games) I feel content with life. I am even fortunate enough to get joy from doing simple things in life (such as going biking on a warm day or sitting in the sun). However, whenever I start looking through job descriptions (and see how unqualified I seem to be for every position) and see how successful other people I used to know really well are now, I feel completely useless.

The problem is not that I feel useless, however. The problem is I'm okay with being useless. I don't really have a problem with just sitting around and doing nothing. Nothing really seems to motivate me that much. I don't want to spend my time working because the idea of work doesn't interest me. People may call me lazy or a leech but I don't really care. The truth is I'd rather not spend my time working.

Now let's say that I was highly motivated to work. The system seems to be completely broke. With how expensive house pricing is one needs to make nearly double minimum wage just to have a place to live and food to eat. Most of these jobs that pay enough to live receive hundreds of applications. Of the hundreds of applications maybe 10 get an interview and of the 10 usually only 1 person gets the job. That means that getting a job is almost like winning a small lottery. Except for this lottery your reward is to give your employee 1/3 of your life just to be able to have a place to live and food to eat. Not only that but working is usually very stressful and you have less time to actually do things you enjoy in life.

Another thing is that it seems that when people have these stressful jobs there is at least pleasant things in their life that balance it out. Most people have a significant other or at the very least a social life. Not me. I've been basically completely socially isolated and never get an opportunity to do the things that "normal" people in their 20s do. This isolation doesn't really seem to bother me that much, until the idea of work is thrown into it. Without a social life, it is impossible to network with people, get references, and when you are isolated for too long you can lack the social skills to be successful at an interview.

I've actually attempted to work before because society won't allow me to live like this for ever. Just receiving a phone call from an employee mentioning that they selected me for an interview gives me anxiety. A few days before an interview I can feel my heart racing quickly and anxiety basically every moment. It is hard for me to even attend an interview, let alone answer every question just the way they want. The amount of anxiety I receive from just attending an interview makes me really question how I would even hold down a job. I know that most people are nervous before attending an interview but I doubt they are anywhere near as nervous as me.

TLDR: The idea of working seems really depressing to me and I don't want to do it even though the only other alternative is homelessness (which I also don't want). Even if I was highly motivated to work I seem to be incapable of getting a job and have my doubts that I would be able to hold a job down. I don't see any meaning in my life other than just sitting around and escaping from reality (TV, video games, internet). If I don't want to work and I don't want to be homeless what should I do? I can't keep living this way forever.

If the author is a guy he needs to know what he likes doing and have a job to just pay the bills,and maybe eventually switch to what he likes and enjoys doing full time. He has to take responsibility either way.

If the author is a female, Probably if she were married to a well off abiding muslim man, she wouldn't have any responsibility of having any job. 

She is probably the less ambitious and more homely and relaxed type, and being in the work force causes her stress, as it doesn't seem to fit her nature, but seems to be caught up in social norms and paying bills.

Edited by certainclarity

19 minutes ago, magma said:

I've actually attempted to work before because society won't allow me to live like this for ever. Just receiving a phone call from an employee mentioning that they selected me for an interview gives me anxiety. A few days before an interview I can feel my heart racing quickly and anxiety basically every moment. It is hard for me to even attend an interview, let alone answer every question just the way they want.

Salam,

This is a normal process in life in my opinion, I have been there... I would sweat and have panic attacks and be really anxious for an interview. The only way to fix this is simply to do it. Brave up and do it. You will fail or maybe not.  But one thing is for sure, the next interview you will have will be less scary. And again and again. Until honestly you just don't care if you get the job or not. You should care, but not in the sense of fear. You become numb to rejection, and this builds confidence. You go in with the mentality whatever happens, happens. I get the job fine, I don't fine. There will be another. At the end of the day Allah, has a plan for you. Maybe that job wasnt for you, actually not maybe for sure it wasn't. Nothing is chance in this world. 

If the Job you have is boring, make enough money to quit. Try a side hobby that makes you happy. Take the risk to open your own small business. You need to create the opportunity to get what you want. Put a niyyeh and throw yourself out there.

Hope this helps

People (often kids in their teenage or twenties) see things in black and white which is why they struggle to deal with many challenges of life. The alternative to 'not working' is not just homelessness. If you don't like working for others, or if you can't secure a decent job, then work (or plan ahead to work) for yourself (self-employment, business, investments etc.).

Post isnt aimed at Magma, my advice is for all.

Overall my advice is to find an easy job or one that you can be passionate about. They can sell things from home as a merchant or craft things and sell them using Etsy,eBay, or whatever, it's the 21st century. Business is a great idea especially if it is creative.As Abbas. mentions planning ahead is a great help, if you are still at College/University or even school you can always build up for the day you are left out to survive in the world. Overall though you can only really help people who want to work but would rather do something that doesn't cripple them with anxiety. There are a lot of jobs that don't pay more than £20,000 a year but they have short hours and flexibility and benefits like teaching English as a foreign language, the key is to look outside the box.

Don't let your anxiety stop you from living. In the long run, it will eventually crush a person if they didn't live due to perceived fears. I had a dream once I was running away from a tiger, in the end, I stopped running and finally summoned the courage to look behind to face it, it shrunk and jumped into the palm of my hand.

I heard from a Sheikh (i need to find the source from him) that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said that if you fear to do something, you should go ahead and do it. This applies mainly to people who have anxieties about day to day things.

“Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems”
Epictetus

“The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests. ”
Epictetus

Edited by ShiaBwoy

Pick a job that helps society so you are being paid (and spending 1/3 of your life) making a difference in the world. For example, a doctor. That job has tremendous rewards aside from the salary.

Considering you mentioned you're unqualified, I'm sure you aren't going to become a doctor, but you can volunteer in certain places to develop new skills. I just finished university which took 3 years, and it doesn't equal 6 months of job experience in a company. But it does help with knowledge. They go hand in hand. Try Udemy for new courses to broaden your knowledge. God loves it when we learn new things.

2 hours ago, Abbas. said:

People (often kids in their teenage or twenties) see things in black and white which is why they struggle to deal with many challenges of life. The alternative to 'not working' is not just homelessness. If you don't like working for others, or if you can't secure a decent job, then work (or plan ahead to work) for yourself (self-employment, business, investments etc.).

There are many times when I contemplated the idea of starting a business but it is a real challenge to establish a niche, add to that the pain of monopoly because governments just don't want to get involved in regulating the big fat sharks that have taken over every market. 

On a side note, I think its completely depressing how many graduates come out of Uni wanting work only to be rejected by 90% of companies just on the basis of them being a graduate. I was told throughout my school and college days 'have a part time job too so you have work experience' and I did. While studying my A Levels I had 2 jobs and yet when I left Uni this wasn't satisfactory enough. 

I thank Allah (swt) that He has given me a good job now because honestly I was worried for a while.

Slighty off topic but needed a rant. :) Anyway...

I can relate to the part about job descriptions, some of them are plain ridiculous. They want a young, enthusiastic and motivated person with at least 50 years experience or something stupid like that. Reading things like that makes me want to break my computer.

It sounds as if this person hasn't found their passion in life really and that they lack direction. When someone points out to you that you're really good at something, it can help you out so much. From my own perspective I wasn't sure what job I was going to do after Uni. A few weeks before I left, I had to give a presentation and the first thing my tutor said to me was 'Amy you should be a teacher.' And I brushed it off and said 'Nahh I can't do that.' But subhanallah that's exactly the position I find myself in now.

May Allah (swt) help and guide all the youth struggling in employment or unemployment.