Rate this topic

Someone I used to go to school with has become an atheist, and it broke my heart. It breaks my heart every time I hear something like this. 

Why does this happen? Why is it that people break under tests like this? Any explanations, if there is one?

It seems like more Shias around me are leaving their faith, and quite frankly I'm upset and scared for them. 

Breaks my heart too. Based on the Quran and history, most people will choose not to believe. They simply prefer this life, or they are lazy and don't want to practice. Or in some cases they perhaps they never understood Islam. I try to understand it myself. InshaAllah I hope the person you knew comes back to Islam!

36 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Someone I used to go to school with has become an atheist, and it broke my heart. It breaks my heart every time I hear something like this. 

Salam. It is heartbreaking. I was discussing this subject about an hour ago with a friend. I know it doesn't make sense for someone to leave Islam, but I tend to think that hardships in life can make some people temporarily insane. When they come back to their senses, inShaAllah they realize their mistake, repent, and embrace Islam again.  

It is simple logic. Whenever someone wants to leave islam, they want some justifications for their sinful way of living.

I feel sorry for people who choose to become athiests. Becoming athiest is scary because I find that the most insulting thing someone can do to Allah. 

Someone who disbeliefs after he was a muslim, is much worse than someone who has never embraced islam.

58 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

Salam. It is heartbreaking. I was discussing this subject about an hour ago with a friend. I know it doesn't make sense for someone to leave Islam, but I tend to think that hardships in life can make some people temporarily insane. When they come back to their senses, inShaAllah they realize their mistake, repent, and embrace Islam again.  

I guess there are more than a single or couple of factors involved. Even here in Pakistan I have noticed few guys Sunni though, going either agnostic or full blown up atheist. 

1. Personal Hardships either emotional or financial 

2. ISIS and ilk 

3. Western cultural Influence 

4. In Sunni cases, where their clerics tried hard to justify or make cases that otherwise can't be.   Or tried to convey more radical views about religion and they became fed up. 

5. They seek miracles in life, when life is actually but a mess. 

6. Western educational influence that's hellbent not to prove God than to prove God  

7. Incest or rape

8.  a blonde trashy girl friend that was the member of scientology church.  

Edited by ErikCartman

They think that if they leave Islam and become Atheist, God ceases to exist (naoozbillah). They think they are now free from responsibilities and have taken the first step to the stress-free life they crave. Little do they know, they will have a stress-filled afterlife because of their hasty decisions.

1. Haven't studied the religion properly.

2. They're living a sinful life.

3. They desire this world

know it feels like a slap to the face losing a brother or a sister. I have a friend who is in a confusing state (I think I'm not sure) sometimes it feels he's a good muslims sometimes it feels like he has left but I hope Allah will not let him go Insha'Allah. But please remember do not treat your friend different, consider him equal because he's still your brother/sister in humanity.

I have relative who is against a concept of "Just God". He says god could have made everything easy. Why there is a lot of suffering and evil in this world. He says Quran and all other religious books sounds like a fairy tales to him. He used to be a very good muslim kid but now he is agnostic. I think people should stop comparing religion with science. Science changes everyday. He says i could only believe on things i could see and since i can't see god i am not gonna believe. There any many things which we haven't seen but we know they exist. 

13 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Why there is a lot of suffering and evil in this world. He says Quran and all other religious books sounds like a fairy tales to him

This is utterly due to lack of understanding of this life., which is fake/unreal.. it's even more fake or unreal than a fairy tale itself, as well as the basic concept what religion is, God didn't create this unreal/virtual world for us to 'live' here.... people easily assume, as it's truly a 'life' and the one 'worth living' ... on the contrary., it's a fake world, fake life, merely created to put us to trial, and evaluate each of us of their 'right rank or place' in the eternal life .. or real life.....

This might sound bit philosophical, but if you look around and sit back, you would be shocked., you are actually living a delusion., and it feels so real, that we actually end up believing in it.

Edited by ErikCartman

Most atheists that I know became atheist because they were angry at God about the injustice in the world. 

I don't understand how a person can be angry at God while asserting that God doesn't exist, but that's what I've observed. They lack understanding and do not want the responsibility of free will. For many people it's just a phase and they eventually grow out of it. 

13 minutes ago, ErikCartman said:

This is utterly due to lack of understanding of this life., which is fake/unreal.. it's even more fake or unreal than a fairy tale itself, as well as the basic concept what religion is, God didn't create this unreal/virtual world for us to 'live' here.... people easily assume, as it's truly a 'life' and the one 'worth living' ... on the contrary., it's a fake world, fake life, merely created to put us to trial, and evaluate each of us of their 'right rank or place' in the eternal life .. or real life.....

This might sound bit philosophical, but if you look around and sit back, you would be shocked., you are actually living a delusion., and it feels so real, that we actually end up believing in it.

I understand and i told him look this is part of a life. God has made rules (Islamic rules) and if we all follow them i am sure nobody will die with hunger and there will be no poverty. Its us who don't follow the rules god told us. We made the borders not god. He has given us free will and we could do whatever we want. 

They're enemies now.

Perhaps the evil is increasing, remember that the prophecies say that Islam will end up with few people as believers, and a wind will take the souls of the few believers, and after that there will be no Islam on the earth, that's close to the final judgement.

Plus all the good people that will die; every century that comes will have less good people, and the next one less and so on. 

It is sad but at the same time scary.

What makes us sure we wont be the same tomorrow?

Many a times people who become agnostic or atheist from being a muslim were people who never thought in their wildest dream that they would change their minds, and infact *seemed* very devote muslims.

That is why Imam Ali said most who claim to be Shias are actually apostates!

This could happen to any of us down the road, that is why Allah says in the Quran atleast die a muslim, that means we may not be in the folds of belief but that of just being a muslim.

This should be a wake up call for us to try to understand Islam and not to be afraid to questions about things that don't make sense to us, in order to understand islam better.

It is a sad time, and not limited to Muslims. I have met people who were Christian until something happened.

There are some people who go through their entire life, going through the motions, never really giving of themselves enough to witness God in their lives.

There are some who believed God would never let "that" happen. If it happens then there is either no god, or a god that doesn't care.

Some are so involved with mental sins that they can't get close to God.

Some just don't want a God. 

It's confusing for us because we can't understand how they managed to be in the "presence" of God yet not realize. You'd like to smack them upside the head, but you are better off to pray for their blessing, and let God decide when to smack them. If it is God's will, it will happen.

19 hours ago, certainclarity said:

Fantastic line ! That will be one hell of a smack !

Better be watching out for myself ! lol

Yeah, I know. I would be grateful for the status of Paul. (Not the Islamic opinion of Paul), but considered the least in Heaven. He had to get knocked off a horse, I had to get deflected while riding a motorcycle. It stands to reason, if God had to go to that much trouble for me to see, I'm sure anyone who can see on their own gets a higher place. 

it is because the stupid west is causing a lot of them to be with non muslims ( now before someone attacks me , .no not all non muslims are a bad influence but because they dont have an islamic lifestyle they will engage in unlawful activites and tempt muslims to follow their way)who as teens may not exert a good influence on them and their thinking, lack of conservatism and lack of islamic culture weakens them or makes such people look at life a different way, sometimes destructive like for millenials today. they have a lesser concept of deen . in dubai i used to be around good muslim girls ,even the non muslims were nice because todays western culture didnt poison their minds. todays pop culture in the west influences teens mostly in the west and in wrong ways, their clothing styles encourage them to be more flashy and trendy than comfortable and conservative. Trust me when i look thru instagram, it used to be the girls from britain or america or canada that would try to pose like kylie jenner ,showing off tlike they had some sort of bad attitude and calling themselves swearwords like H*** and b***** .it was common to see muslims swearing in the west. im not saying all of you do it, but i have seen some. its common here for them but so shocking if youre from a totally different place.it was stupid.their influence by non muslims caused them to think differently about the world more from the non muslims lenses than muslim ones,  and then poof lack of knowledge of islam itself causes them to lose interest in the deen. thats why its sometimes not safe for some muslims to even stay in india.,though the indian muslims such as khoja i have seen have not Alhumdulillah changed their deen . others influenced by their hindu frnds change their perspective and their viewing of the deen because they see more of hindu religion, thats why people like salman khan are not afraid to celebrate durga puja, or certain muslims end up marrying hindus. 

46 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

then poof lack of knowledge of islam itself causes them to lose interest in the deen.

This is key. Lack of proper knowledge and UNDERSTANDING!

There are lots of influences, loose western ideals is one of them.

Even worse is close minded muslim attitude which makes many who have not truly understood islam rethink, if islam is a truly divine religion or demonic religion?

To be an atheist who does not propogate athiesm and leads a humanist life, is much better than a muslim wahabi, terrorist jihadist. Although they have beards, fast, pray, women in full hijab and niqab, wont drink or party, kill in the name of Allah, and ruin the name of Islam.

This is more prevalent in pakistan/ turkey/ tunsia/ morrocco/ saudi arabia Etc..

Hence we have to be very careful of our behavior, as every act of ours would be a representation of islam.

We also have lots of asian nationalist who are not westernized but are atheist.

There are plenty of atheist who love their middle eastern/ eastern culture and are hardcore nationalist and not westernized, who become or are atheist.

Infact, Lately alot of supposedly devotely muslims who would stick by the book are leaving islam, not because of the west, but because their prayers are having no affect in their lifes and resentment and anger is building up in them.

At the end of the day, iblees was not an atheist but a jinn that worshipped Allah for over 70,000 years and  achieved alot of high ranks, but will rot in hell for his arrogance, pride, thinking higher of himself than Adam, jealousy...and much more...

Edited by certainclarity

On 1/5/2017 at 2:59 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Why does this happen? Why is it that people break under tests like this? Any explanations, if there is one?

It seems like more Shias around me are leaving their faith, and quite frankly I'm upset and scared for them. 

Religious people can make one atheist.