j.angel

Why are Shias so hated?

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

I knew there was SOME dislike towards Shias from extremists such as Wahabis, but after loging onto Instagram and seeing a post from a Shia about loving AhlulBayt he received hundreds of comments such as: 

"Ew, you're Shia?"

Many people had no idea what they were talking about, saying we take Imam Ali and Imam Hussein as prophets. Other than some confusion, why are we so hated?! What do we do wrong other than love Ahlulbayt? 

Because this world is meant for hypocrites and next world is for the pious ones. So, those who are pious in this world will always face troubles and afflictions. 

SNaqvi83 likes this

1 hour ago, j.angel said:

What do we do wrong other than love Ahlulbayt? 

That pretty much sums it all up right there. Its our deep love and reverence for the rightful station of the family of the Prophet (PBUH) and the rightful heir Imam Ali (AS) which sets us apart from the rest of Islam and earns the hatred of those that have already been deceived into being led onto the wrong path. Its our love and honor for the Ahle Bayt (AS) which constantly exposes the evils of the usurpers.

If loving the Ahle Bayt (AS) means I'll earn a lifetime of hatred and taunts from the ignorant masses then I'll consider every insult hurled my way as a badge of honor and only strengthen my resolve that I am fortunate enough to walk on the path which reveres and loves the Ahle Bayt (AS).

The path of the virtuous is always paved with hardships.

j,angel it's simple - they are taught to hate. 

Imagine your parents, guardians or islamic teachers took your hand and whispered all sorts of lies (usually misconceptions) against another group of people. Then imagine being told 'don't talk to them, they are taught to lie - everything they say is lies'. They beat themselves in shame, permit prostitution, their food is not halaal, etc etc. They take Ali as God, refuted Hassan and rejected Hussain. Then imagine growing up in a world which forces the idea of Shia and Sunni in constant WAR. A very effective instrument to keep the sentiments alive by falsely accrediting the chaos in our Muslim world to sectarian strife. Then prescribing to Wahabi preaching, media campaigns and the often extreme sunni channels which make the Shia the villains, the killers, the occupiers, the terrorists bent on robbing sunni freedoms. If that's not bad enough to enforce hatred, imagine being taught the first 3 Khalifas are like 'fatherly' figures, the best of all Mankind after the Prophet. 'Oh the shias hate them too, they curse and swear at them - bloody deviants'. (and that's just some of the Chinese whispers)

Now the question is, wouldn't you hate them too? 

ZhugeLiang and j.angel like this

I should state the obvious - not all Sunnis prescribe to those ideas. The construct for hatred is more associated in the Sunni branch of Wahabism/Salafists but Sunnis in general hold certain Sahabas in too much high regard and any opposing elements are usually seen as 'deviance'. Yet the Quran offers a whole Surah on Munafiqun with warnings to Prophet Muhammad (saw) of the few that surround him. 

ZhugeLiang likes this

2 hours ago, j.angel said:

Other than some confusion.

Its not just some confusion. Its about 1400 years of disinformation, fabricated hadiths, generation upon generation raised to hate us

Overall though, its because our Aqeeda, simply put, has some very critical viewpoints that are highly controversial depending on who you are and what you have been raised to believe.

Being Shia was always controversial, you reject some of the things that Sunnis are raised to believe and love with their heart and soul.

Edited by ShiaBwoy
Brevity
kirtc, Brained and SNaqvi83 like this

As wrong as this may sound, but here goes:

I always think to myself that were I not born into a Shia family (alhamdulilah), I would have had huge problems with the Shia madhhab as a Muslim non-Shia. This is because, like most people, I would not have bothered to research in depth on Shiism and would have only grasped information about it from the media and laymen's. Concepts such as intercession, crying over personalities who died centuries ago, beating ourselves and so and so forth. These things don't really make sense unless you are either born into them or have the sense to look into them and understand the wisdom in them.  

Edited by Pearl178
kirtc likes this

Hating is also a defense mechanism to preserve the ego, and the paper towers of belief that have been assembled within. If hostility is not shown, if fingers aren't thrust into the ears (Quran reference), then a person may one day feel the object of hate has legitimacy, thet may in turn present questions that challenge long ossified dogmas. This would be death of the ego. So a violent, hateful reaction is necessary to keep "normalization" at bay. With other haters, community and media support, a strong positive feedback loop of hate and ignorance can continue unabated among poor masses, often for generations. 

Brained, Pearl178 and ZhugeLiang like this

I am a Sunni from a Sunni country (Egypt). The word Shia here has indeed a negative connotation, but it has nothing to do with religion. People here identify Shia with Iran, Iraqi regime, Syrian regime and Hezbollah. All entities that are hated with passion here and coincidently are all Shia or aligned to Shia.

The whole Ahlelbayt and Caliphate thing is a non-factor. Most people here don't even know what Shia muslims believe. They think it's something purely political.

I can imagine the same goes for other Sunni countries with no Shia.

kirtc, starlight and Pearl178 like this

4 minutes ago, MuhammedAli said:

The whole Ahlelbayt and Caliphate thing is a non-factor. Most people here don't even know what Shia muslims believe. They think it's something purely political

That's possible. Fair point. 

Gaius I. Caesar likes this

I think we should more concentrate on science education and extensively work on the "humanity". Science comes from the Alulbayat, nowdays, not a single Muslim regardless of sects haven't contributed to the field of science, chemistry, physics, math, where is it noble prize winner????. WORK ON GETTING THAT GENIUS BACK HOW WAS IT BEFORE. Then you will see , will have allot of respect....this the way of Alulbayat. Focus focus on scientific education.. do something for humanity..

[Actions of a minority which taint us all - this is only a small minority]

1. Hitting themselves, cutting themselves, dressing up as lions, putting collars on themselves and calling themselves the 'dogs' of 'ruqayya' and crawling to shrines.

2. Abusing their most revered symbols, like Umul Mumineen Aisha, calling her an adulteress, promiscuous, and other offensive insults.

3. Having absolutely no interest in hifz-al-Quran, and instead, spending time merely singing Latmiyah.

4. Having absolutely little understanding of the seerah of the Prophet [saw] or his lessons based on his life, except for when you want to refute a sunni on it.

5. Innovations like 'salam and ya ali madad'

6. While tawassul is accepted, there are people who absolutely abuse it.

7. Ghuluw- tendencies. 

Most people who hate shia's do not loathe them because of their love for the Ahlulbayt [asws]. If you abuse their 'mother', cut yourselves and make a laughing stock out of the whole of islam, give barely any care for the prophet [saw] and innovate left right and centre, what do you expect?

Thankfully, the majority of us are not like the above, but sadly, we are as strong as our weakest point, and our Achilles heel is the ghuluw-type tendencies among us.

Edited by uponthesunnah

Bad press. there is a giant media campaign against shia, it has always been the case

Edited by kirtc

Let me add, i don't want to be viewed as throwing the blame on us, because even if we followed the madhab of the ahlulbayt properly, there would still be hate. But it is only made ten-fold worse by absolute ignorance on part of a minority of us, and the silence of the majority of us.

When a salafi says 'ew you are a shia, you guys do shirk!',

Just say, where is Allah?

He will say 'he is in the direction up, literally, above his throne in a manner which befits him'

You then say ' do you affirm that Allah existed before place, position and direction, and therefore was not relative to anything'

He will say 'yes'

You then say 'if you describe Allah above or below anything, does that not give him a place, a direction, whereas he is the one who created place and direction, and can not be described by means of direction?'

He will say 'don't use your mind, just believe'

You then say 'okay, let us look at it another way, do you affirm Allah is eternally in one state, and there is no change in him or his qualities?'

He will say 'yes'

You then say 'If Allah became 'above' something, and this is a new quality he has, does that not mean he has changed, and his essence has changed as he is now relative to something, whereas before, he was not?'

He will say 'don't use your mind, just accept the words of Allah'

Don't ever allow others who hold the most shaky beliefs in Tawheed to begin to label you , call you a polytheist, and abuse you. Raise high the true flag of tawheed, preserved by Muhammmed wa ale Muhammed asws, and use the fundamental pillar of this religion as your weapon. Don't even go to ghadeer or rijal with the salafi's IF they are rude and IF they decide to call you a polytheist and label you. Allah has made their deviance so clear, so much so we can tell apart the truth in Tawheed, put aside imamah.

Believe me, with a few exceptions, the majority of salafi's [who are abusive towards shias and regard them the worst of creation] will absolutely not want to get into any discussion on Tawheed and the attributes of Allah [azwj]. They know this is their Achilles heel. Even on their websites in responding to shias, they never even address our arguments, only they try to quote mine here and there and prove certain hadith narrators had deviant aqeedah. Or they take our narrations which are weak, or take established ones and cherry pick [rather than looking at all of them collectively to give the true meaning].

Edited by uponthesunnah
Ahmad7541 likes this

Shias have been hated ever since they stole the leadership right of Ali (as). We the followers of ahlulbayt will always be hated and oppressed until Imam Mahdi (af) returns and restores order.

alHussein and kirtc like this

5 hours ago, j.angel said:

I knew there was SOME dislike towards Shias from extremists such as Wahabis, but after loging onto Instagram and seeing a post from a Shia about loving AhlulBayt he received hundreds of comments such as: 

"Ew, you're Shia?"

Many people had no idea what they were talking about, saying we take Imam Ali and Imam Hussein as prophets. Other than some confusion, why are we so hated?! What do we do wrong other than love Ahlulbayt? 

No. I go to a Sunni school, and as far as I am aware, no one hates us because 'we like Ahlulbayt' - heck, half of the kids at my school didn't know anything about Shiasm, just that we are different and curse the Four Rightly Gudied Caliphs.

Now, Sunnis aren't in the wrong for their ignorance, after all, their only source is a Sunni one, so Sunni propaganda is going to be evident. Furthermore, Sunnis make up 85% of Muslims, so when there is a percentage of idiots among their people, it'd be a lot louder than our idiots.

The notion of 'They hate us because we like Ahlulbayt' or 'Because we said Ali should be first' is Shia propaganda. Sunnis dislike us because they associate us with those who cursed the first three caliphs - the very thing we hated the Ummaids for when they done it to our leaders.

If anyone is wrongly hated, cursed and wished death upon - its probably the Jews.

Edited by Fish

Other than some confusion, why are we so hated?! What do we do wrong other than love Ahlulbayt? 

@j.angel Good question!  @everybody Good answers! 

1 hour ago, uponthesunnah said:

He will say 'he is in the direction up, literally, above his throne in a manner which befits him'

Once again, Shia Propaganda. Sure, Salafis have some mishaps, but there are many Salafia which actually study and do a similar Ijtihad as our Marj3s. You really need to relax with the conservativeness, how about listening to Salafis which are agreed to represent the Sunnis and not ones who are unheard of?

"Ew, you're Shia?"

okay one post from one instagram not all shia instagrams, there ae shia instagrams with shia followers who dont insult. try finding them . 

2 hours ago, kirtc said:

Bad press. there is a giant media campaign against shia, it has always been the case

Unless you mean Iran, then the spotlight is on Muslims - refugees more specificly - and not Shias because they are Shia. 

I'd love a link to this 'giant media campaign' because it seems like an interesting read.

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Once again, Shia Propaganda. Sure, Salafis have some mishaps, but there are many Salafia which actually study and do a similar Ijtihad as our Marj3s. You really need to relax with the conservativeness, how about listening to Salafis which are agreed to represent the Sunnis and not ones who are unheard of?

It is NOT Shia propaganda!Salafis do believe Allah has a body and sits on a throne;youtube if full of videos where they openly declare this idiocy! But the real reasons why Sunnis hate Shias are two:

1)They consider Shias mushriks because of the Ya Ali tawassul (which albeit is considered admissible by most Shias is not considered admissible by some of them such as Fadlallah and is NOT a Shia aticle of faith!)

2)Because they have Always been considered traitors and back-stabbers who standwith the kufar against sunnis like now in the Syrian crisis for instance.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Boy said:

It is NOT Shia propaganda!Salafis do believe Allah has a body and sits on a throne;youtube if full of videos where they openly declare this idiocy! But the real reasons why Sunnis hate Shias are two:

1)They consider Shias mushriks because of the Ya Ali tawassul (which albeit is considered admissible by most Shias is not considered admissible by some of them such as Fadlallah and is NOT a Shia aticle of faith!)

2)Because they have Always been considered traitors and back-stabbers who standwith the kufar against sunnis like now in the Syrian crisis for instance.

Eh, yeah nah. See this is why I said look for a Salafi that represents the Sunni people, don't go youtube me any Shiekh who's unheard of, it really doesn't work that way.

Maybe some Salafis stand by the argument that Allah has a body and sits on a throne, though I can assure you from first-hand resource (i.e straight from a Salafis mouth) that not all believe in this garabge.

As for your first point, yes I have heard Salafis claim Shias believe Ali is God, or that Shias pray to graves or the such. You have to remember though, not all of them subscribe to these fallacies, and most who do are unapproved of.

Yes. The Bashar Assad example is a prime one, so is our siding with Iran. You need to realise that there is no black or white in either of these situations though. Its shades of gray, and personally, I don't agree with the politics of either country. Shias have reasons to back both of these reigems while Sunnis have reasons to attack both of these regiems; both cherry-pick and appeal to emotions, and this works.

You still have barely scratched the surface though, there are many reasons Sunnis attack us on, some are cardinal and some are insignificant, but to retialiate we mustn't do it against those whose words don't matter, we should do it on the great Ulama of the Sunnis.

Edited by Fish

5 hours ago, Fish said:

Let's look at some highly respected salafi shyukh.

Dr Zakir Naik - Allah is above his throne

And a few other respected salafi shuyukh

Islamqa, supervised by salafi ulema and a world-famous salafi q and a website: https://islamqa.info/en/11035

Allah is Above His Throne

6 minutes ago, Fish said:

Jesus, I didn't know they genuinely upheld this notion. I concede, no propaganda here. 

Are you aware this is not even the worst of it ?

The salafi-aqeedah states:

1. Allah has a foot, fingers, a shin and hands, but they are not like ours.

2. He ascends and descends

3. His 'foot' is between the waters, and the kursyi [foot-stool]

With Imam Ali a.s, no serious shia believes he is God. But the above beliefs are wajib part of the salafi aqeedah. Forget sahaba, and who was better, and if a sahaba deviated or not, surely making a mockery of Allah [azwj] is a more serious issue, is it not? Can a salafi call me a mushrik and ridicule me and say all those hateful things and expect me not to point at the elephant in the room manifested by the above beliefs?

ZhugeLiang likes this

6 hours ago, sidnaq said:

okay one post from one instagram not all shia instagrams, there ae shia instagrams with shia followers who dont insult. try finding them . 

I follow these accounts which post quotes from Imam Ali etc. but this was on a Sunni account (the majority of which have 50k+ followers so they post many nice photos, but sometimes the comments get out of hand). I try to stay away from these accounts but I was scrolling through the comments in one photo and was shocked.

3 hours ago, uponthesunnah said:

Let's look at some highly respected salafi shyukh. 

Dr Zakir Naik - Allah is above his throne

And a few other respected salafi shuyukh

Islamqa, supervised by salafi ulema and a world-famous salafi q and a website: https://islamqa.info/en/11035

Allah is Above His Throne

Im sorry whatvis your point here.r u trying to disprove them?