YAli

Jews pray 3 times a day

Rate this topic

I came across something interesting today. I heard a long time ago that Christians pray 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and evening (although the this seems to have been mostly lost amongst the vast majority of Christians). I did some research and my mind was blown to learn that Jews also pray 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and evening. Please see link below. 

http://www.aish.com/jl/jewish-law/daily-living/13-Daily-Prayer-General.html?mobile=yes

Then my mind was blown further to see that an original form of prayer involved bowing and prostrating (sajda)! 

http://www.rebjeff.com/blog/we-bow-we-prostrate-we-give-thanks

Amazing stuff... I also recall that it says somewhere in the bible (maybe Old Testament) that Jesus pbuh prostrated to his Lord. 

Edited by YAli

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

There is a lot more in common between Muslims and Jews than praying 3 times a day, keep reading ...

I know all of the other commonalities in terms of oneness and uniqueness of God, and the past prophets, and shariah/divine law. Infact I even recall reading a long time ago that the name of prophet Muhammed pbuh is mentioned in of of their texts, whether it's the Torah or some other book I can't recall. 

But this was new to me. 

Edited by YAli

17 minutes ago, YAli said:

Amazing stuff... I also recall that it says somewhere in the bible (maybe Old Testament) that Jesus pbuh prostrated to his Lord. 

It's probably  Moses or Musa (as) that you are thinking of. Isa  (as) isn't in the Old Testament but he did prostrate to his Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane. (Matthew 26:36-46)

The Qara'im pray every morning- when the first light appears in the eastern sky- and every evening- when the light is marked with a line between light and dark [about midways in the sky] until fully dark. The afternoon pray is called Zohar- from the same Semitic root as Zuhr; this is the middle prayer and is not mandatory, but optional and highly recommended- as it is most likely overlooked because of business or other distractions.

Qara'im, unlike Rabbinic Jews, have the following posters in prayer: Standing, Bowing, Prostration, Sitting; our prayers are based upon the recitation of the Hebrew Text alone- mainly the Torah and Tehillim (Psalms). In our Beit Kenesseth, there are no seats or pews- this is a masjid only.

9 minutes ago, andres said:

So the question is:

is Islam influenced by Judaism, or is Judaism influenced by Islam.?

When two religions have similarities it does not necessarily mean that one took after the other but it could mean that they come from the same source - Allah.

The concepts of right and wrong are developed by societies- whether it is considered divine or not makes no difference. Although the definition can be a bit different between societies, the basics are always the same: murder is not right [the definition may vary], adultery is not right, theft is not right, etc. That all the societies- which remain a functional society- share the same basic principles does not mean- necessarily- that they influenced one another, but even if they did, this would only lead to a more developed society from the shared experiences.

The same can be said of "religions." Most religions- not all- have a concept of a supreme deity, justice, kindness, prayers, etc. Not all of them were mutually influenced- but spiritual concepts all share the same basic origin, ie. man's need for spirituality. 

In my opinion, especially among the Abrahamic (AS) tradition, there is only one "religious" practice- Islam. This is simply because all these traditions share a common ancestral source- Abraham (AS). The common theme among the Abrahamic traditions are:

Tawhid

Adl

al-Wa'd wal-Wa'id

al-manzilah bayn al-manzilatayn

amr bil ma'ruf wa nahy 'anil-munkar

al-ba'th ba'ad al-mawt

yawm al-Din

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا ۚ إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ

49:13

59 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

When two religions have similarities it does not necessarily mean that one took after the other but it could mean that they come from the same source - Allah.

Could be. Then God gave different messages to Jews and Muslims. 

If however one took after the other, we know that Arabs still were polytheists, so it must have been Judaism that inpired Muhammed. The Quran also refers to persons and stories from the Jewish Bible, Muhammed initially prayed in direction Jerusalem, and he flew to Jerusalem to meet with Jewish prophets. There is a long story about Joseph in Egypt. Is there anything at all in the Quran from arab tradition or history? Except for Jinns?

The attack of Abraha is referenced in Surat Fil- 105; Thamud and Ad can be found in Surah 7:73-74; the bursting of the Marib Dam in Saba' is referenced in Surah 34:15-16.

Most of the shias also pray 3 times a day (five prayers in total). Although its allowed to combine prayers but making it a habit and doing this everyday is not as per teachings of Quran, Prophet and Ahlebayt.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235006009-why-shia-perform-5-prayers-in-three-time/

Edited by Ya Allah Madad

2 hours ago, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

The attack of Abraha is referenced in Surat Fil- 105; Thamud and Ad can be found in Surah 7:73-74; the bursting of the Marib Dam in Saba' is referenced in Surah 34:15-16.

What and who were these? Thamud, Ad, the Marib Dam and the Elephants. Prophets?

1 hour ago, andres said:

What and who were these? Thamud, Ad, the Marib Dam and the Elephants. Prophets?

I would offer the same advice and response you offered me- in other threads, "Please do some studies yourself. Google is easy." I, however, am not such to be so- I enjoy the intelligent exchange of information. Thamud and Ad were South Arabian peoples to whom prophets were sent; the Marib Dam was built [circa 8th century BCE] in Saba and burst [several times between 449 ACE and 575 ACE]-. The elephants were used by Abraha, the Habashi Christian viceroy from Yemen, who attacked Makka and was defeated- around 570 ACE,  the year Muhammad (SAAWAWS) was born.

Edited by Yaaqov Ben Yisrael
spelling error and clarification

4 hours ago, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

I would offer the same advice and response you offered me- in other threads, "Please do some studies yourself. Google is easy." I, however, am not such to be so- I enjoy the intelligent exchange of information. Thamud and Ad were South Arabian peoples to whom prophets were sent; the Marib Dam was built [circa 8th century BCE] in Saba and burst [several times between 449 ACE and 575 ACE]-. The elephants were used by Abraha, the Habashi Christian viceroy from Yemen, who attacked Makka and was defeated- around 570 ACE,  the year Muhammad (SAAWAWS) was born.

I looked up the places you refered to in the Quran, but there was not much info about these persons. 

So Abra was an Arab prophet. So was Hud. Who were the prophets sent to Thamud and Ad, and were they successful in their mission? 

17 hours ago, andres said:

I looked up the places you refered to in the Quran, but there was not much info about these persons. 

So Abra was an Arab prophet. So was Hud. Who were the prophets sent to Thamud and Ad, and were they successful in their mission? 

Abraha was not a prophet; he tried to destroy the Ka'aba. According to the Qur'an, a miracle occurred in which Abraha's army was pelted by stones which were carried by birds. Hud (AS) was sent to 'Ad and Salih (AS) was sent to Thamud. Like many prophets before them, their missions resulted in some believing and some rejecting their message.

it'd be impossible for an unlettered person to imitate or be inspired by the Jews since even they were doing some sort of shirk and the Prophet (s.a.w.) could not read and write.  The Arabs of Mecca were pagans and worshipped many gods. whether the Prophet (s.a.w.) did worship other gods or not, this is something that is not mentioned, however from authentic reports, we know that he used to go to cave hira and meditate for hours. Christians today claim the Prophet was taught by a Christian monk, but he died after the first Surah was revealed and therefore the problem arises for them, who taught him the other 113 chapters of the Qur’an, especially the most important verses in Quran? Surah al ikhlaas? which go against their theology? Not only that, but even the Quran mentions some mistakes of the Prophet, so the Prophet wrote in the Quran about his own mistakes? Makes sense.. lol.  or that he was rebuking himself in front of people about doubts (10:94). 

Verse 6:35
-------------
Were these really the words of a false Prophet who attempted to rebuke himself in front of an existing hostile and critical audience by calling himself 'jahil', or were these the words of a higher authority admonishing him?

006:035
"And if their aversion is grievous to you, then, if you can, seek a way down into the earth or a ladder to the sky so that you may bring to them a sign (to convince them all)! If God willed, He could have brought them all together to the guidance. THEREFORE BE NOT OF THE IGNORANT / FOOLISH (JAHIL)."

Jahil - ignorant / foolish / silly

Verse 93:7
-------------
An admission of being astray / in error or a case of merely being 'lost' as softened by translations?

093:007
"And He found you erring / in error / astray (Arabic: dall), so He guided"

Please note how the same Arabic word (dall) is used in Surah Fateha verse 7 as read by potentially billions of Muslims every day. They know very well its meaning in that verse yet oft fail to apply its meaning to verse 93:7. If faithful followers have attempted to 'lighten' the implication of the word, why would a false messenger make use of such strong language against himself in the tacit hope to appeal to an audience that was once critical of him? Or was this once again, a manifestation of truth by a higher authority?

Verse 42:52
--------------
An admission – Whilst many later historians recount events which surround the prophet in hagiography before and during his ministry, the Quran seems to present quite a different narrative. Given the disparity of the sources with the Quran and what appears to be the inclination of the human mind to show themselves in the most positive light, would a false prophet willingly incline to admit that he never had real faith?

042:052 (part)
"And thus did We reveal to you an inspired book by Our command. You did not know what the Book was, NOR THE FAITH (Arabic: la imaanu)..."

Was this a dangerous attempt by a false Prophet at reverse psychology or a manifestation of truth by the presence of a higher authority?

Verse 12:3
-------------
Would a false prophet intent on writing a false scripture expose their futility of yore in such a manner so publicly so as to have it preserved in posterity?

We narrate to you (Muhammad) the best of narratives in that We have inspired in you this Qur'an, although aforetime you were SURELY AMONG THE HEEDLESS (Ghafil)”

Verse 66:1
-------------
Would a false Prophet expose their vulnerability in such a manner of public rebuke? Or is this once again, a manifestation of truth by the presence of a higher authority?

“O Prophet! Why do you prohibit / make unlawful / ban that which God has made lawful for you, seeking to please your wives? And God is Forgiving, Merciful.”

Verse 5:17
--------------

Some of those that remain committed in their pursuits to map and study the heavens know instinctively that a potential Creator of such an immense Universe must exhibit unfathomable prowess, total authority and need not be dependant on a human form or of human needs. If He indeed has spoken, His words must carry sentiments that are NOT 'earth-centric.'

One may not be able to express all that God can be, but one can certainly express what God cannot be. A scripture which humanises God to make him dependant cannot be authentic.

“Certainly they disbelieved who said “Indeed, God, He is the Messiah, son of Mary. Say “Then who has power against God in anything if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to God belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allah is over all things competent."

After all, would a false Prophet writing a false scripture really be so inclined to pass on to posterity his doubts (7:2; 32:23, 10:94-95; 16:43; 21:7) to which God responds with consolatory verses and words of solace? I would often find myself asking, what kind of ancient document / scripture is this and what is in the mind of this man?

As noted by a Western Islamic scholar:

"There are several passages in which the Prophet receives words of solace. These include 52.29; 68.2-7 and 48-50; 70.5-7; 79.42-46; 88:21-26; 93.3-8; 94.1-6; and 108.1 and 3.

They comprise reassurances that hurtful statement made by opponents are untrue (52.29; 68:2 and 4; 93.3, 108.3), promises (68.3; 93.4-5; 94.5-6), reminders of God's favours (93.6-8; 94.1-4; 108.1), assurances that his sole responsibility is to deliver the message (79.42-46; 88.21-26), and exhortations to be patient (68.48-50; 70.5-7) and watch how God deals with unbelievers (68.5-7; 96.'8')." 

The following verse still to this day, many moons later brings shivers to my spine and resonates deeply. I could finally relate.

010.094 (part) and 95 
“... So do not be among the DOUBTERS and do not be of those who reject the signs / verses of God, THEN YOU WILL BE AMONG THE LOSERS"

This was said to Prophet Muhammad.