Ali

#9 Imam Jawad (as) [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Name - Muhammad

Title - At-Taqi and Al-Jawad

Kunyat - Abu Ja'far

Born - Friday 10th of Rajab 195 A.H. , at Medina

Father's Name - Ali ibn Musa

Mother's Name - Khaizuran (Sabikah)

Died - At the age of 25 years, at Kadhimain , on Wednesday, 29th Dil Qi'da 220 AH. Poisoned by Mu'tasim, the Abbaside Caliph

Buried - in Kadhimain, Baghdad.

By: Hyder Reza Zabet

1 - As a man asked Imam Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad (A.S.) for an advice, Imam (A.S.) said: Put your head on steadfastness, embrace poverty, reject the lusts, oppose your passions, and know that you cannot be out of Allah's sight. Consider how you should behave, then.

2 - Allah revealed to one of His prophets: Your asceticism will give you comfort. Your devotion to Me will endear you to Me. But, did you antagonize My enemies and cherish My disciples?

3 - It was related that highway robbers stole the large anounts of cloth that belonged to Imam al-Jawad (A.S.). The head of the caravan sent the Imam a message in which he informed him of that news. The Holy Imam (A.S.) answered him: Our souls and riches are within the pleasant gifts and the deposited loans of Allah Who makes us enjoy some of them pleasantly and delightedly and seizes whatever He wills with rewards and merits. He whosever intolerance overcomes his steadfastness will waste his rewards. Allah protect us against so.

4 - He who detested a matter that he witnessed is as same as those who were absent from it, and he who was absent from a matter that he loved is as same as those who witnessed it.

5 - He whoever listens to a caller is serving him. If the caller was Allah's representative, he is then serving Allah. If the caller was the Satan’s representative, he is then serving the Satan.

6- Dawud-bin-al-Qasim related: I asked Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) about the meaning of 'Samad'. He said: Everything that lacks navel is 'Samad'. I said that people claim that 'Samad' is everything that lacks interior. Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) commented: Everything that lacks interior lacks navel.

7 - Abu-Hashim al-Ja'fari related: On the wedding day of Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) and Ummul-Fadhl, daughter of Al-Ma'mun, I said: O master, the blessing of this day is clearly great for us. The Holy Imam (A.S.) replied: O Abu-Hashim, Allah's blessings in this day have been great for us. "Yes, master," I said, "What should I say about the day?" Imam al-Jawad(A.S.) answered: Say only good things about the day so that you will be given from these good things. "Master," I said, "I will follow this instruction completely." Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) said: You will be guided to the right and you will see only the good if you adhere to this instruction.

8 - Delay of repentance is deception, excessive procrastination is perplexity, arrogance against Allah is perdition, and insistence on sins is security against Allah's unexpected retribution.

9 - A cameleer who took Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) from Medina to Al-Kufa asked for more money after the Imam had given him four hundred dinars. The Holy Imam (A.S.) said: How strange this is! Do you not know that Allah's increasing gifts will be stopped when the servants stop showing Him gratitude?

10 - To show a matter before preparing for it properly is spoiling it.

11 - A believer is in need of successfulness from Allah, a self-preaching, and accession to the advisers.

By: Hyder Reza Zabet

The Ninth Infallible Imam and the Greatest Miracle of his age Imam Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad (A.S.) who enriched and expanded the Islamic thought and Shari'a was born in the holy city of Madina-the city of his grandfather, the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.), on 10th Rajab 195 A.H. He was the son of Imam Ali Reza (A.S.) and Hazrat Sabika also known as Khaizarun (S.A.).

Imam Reza (A.S.) was forced to leave Madinah and move towards the city of 'Merv' (in Khurasan - Iran) to accept Ma'mun's invitation after many refusals and abstentions. Before moving to Merv, he took with him his son Imam Muhammad al-Jawad (a.s.), then, he (a.s.) started out from Madina towards Mecca in order to pay a visit to the Sacred House (Ka'ba) and also to say farewell to it. Imam al-Reza (A.S.) performed hajj (pilgrimage) with his son al-Jawad who was only four years at that time.

Indeed, the young Imam expressed his adherence and love for his father by his insistence to stay under the care of the holy embrace. It was difficult for him to return home (Madinah), alone, and depart from his father, who wrote, in his farewell letter to the Sacred House, that he would not return.

The moments of farewell ended and the hour of departure approached; the young Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) returned home (to Madinah), bearing the yearnings of love, the adherence of a son for his father; his father moved towards the city of Merv while his heart departed to Madinah, following the procession of the beloved al-Jawad.

Imam al-Reza (A.S.)'s Letters to his Son, al-Jawad (A.S.)

Arriving at the city of Merv, the then capital of the Abbasid caliphate, Imam al-Reza (A.S.) rested there while his heart still inclined towards his son. From there, he (A.S.) began to correspond, address, advise, guide and take care of him. Historians state the fact that Imam al-Reza (A.S.) used to address his son al-Jawad (A.S.), with honour and glory in his correspondences and call him by his surname 'Abu Ja'far'.

The Divine Leadership of Imam al-Jawad (A.S.)

The period of transferring the leadership to Imam Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad (A.S.) faced a dangerous problem, which caused debates and arguments concerning the personality of Imam Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad (A.S.) because of his youth. He (A.S.) was young, at the age of seven, when his father passed away. Books of history and biographies record some of these discussions about the personality of the young Imam (A.S.) and his capability for the leadership at that age.

When Imam Muhammad al-Jawad (a.s.) was born, the same questions were sent to Imam al-Reza (A.S.) in order for them to know who would be the Imam after al-Reza (A.S.). Was not Muhammad al-Jawad (A.S.) a child? And how could he bear the responsibility of the leadership and its affairs if he was at this age? Indeed, Imam al-Reza (A.S.) always confirmed that the Imam after him would be his son, Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad (a.s.).

Ibn Qulawaih, on the authority of Kulaini, on the authority of Hussein bin Muhammad, on the authority of Khariani, on the authority of his father, said: "I (i.e. Khayrani's father) was standing in front of Abul-Hasan al-Reza (A.S.), in Khurasan. Someone asked him: 'My master, if something happens, to whom will authority belong?"

"To Abu Ja'far (al-Jawad), my son," he replied. The speaker indicated that the age of Abu Ja'far was too young. So, Abul-Hasan al-Reza (A.S.), replied: "Allah, may He be praised, sent Jesus, son of Mary, to be an apostle, a prophet, the bringer of a revealed law (Shari'a), to begin (his mission) when his age was younger than that of Abu Ja'far (al-Jawad), peace be upon him."

Narrated Mu'ammar bin Khallad that he heard Imam al-Reza (A.S.), saying: "When he mentioned something and, then, said: 'What need have you for that? Here is Abu Ja'far, whom I have brought into my meetings and whom I have made to be my successor.' Then, he added: 'We are the family of the House (Ahlul-Bayt). Our young inherit from our old, like one feather (on a wing) followed by the next.'"

Holy Imam (A.S.)'s Martyrdom

When Ma'mun died, Mu'tasim ascended the throne. He (Mu'tasim), like his Abbasid ancestors, was worried about the leadership of Ahlul-Bayt (A.S.) and their political and scholarly status. Therefore, he exiled Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) from Madinah to Baghdad in the year 219 A.H., for fear of his popularity and extending his effect.

Indeed, Imam al-Jawad (A.S.) was exiled to Baghdad from Madina and stayed in Baghdad until in the year 220 A.H. when he was martyred by poisoning by his wife Ummul Fadl, daughter of Ma’mun, at the instigation of the ruling Abbasid caliph Mu'tasim.

His short life lasted twenty-five years and some months, and was full of historical, ideological and scholarly struggle and achievements. The Holy Imam (A.S.) was martyred in Baghdad in the year 220 A.H., on the 29th of Zee al-Qa'adah and was buried in the graveyard of Quraish behind his grandfather, Imam Musa bin Ja'far (A.S.) the seventh holy Imam which was since then became famous as Kazmain.

IMAM MOHAMMAD AT-TAQI (AS)

Birth

Above Forty years of the life of Imam Ali Reza (AS) had passed and still he did not have a son. The Shiahs were showing restlessness and anxiety and praying to God to grant the Imam (AS) that son who was being awaited, since they had heard from their previous Imams that the Ninth Imam is the son of eighth Imam. Even sometimes they visited Imam Ali Reza (AS) and questioned him about his successor. He would reply, "God will give me a son who will be my heir and the Imam to follow me."

At last, the waiting of Shiahs ended and Imam was born from his mother named "Khayzran". She was from the family of Maria Qibtiah the wife of the Prophet (PBUH) who was famous and renowned among the Arabs for her purity, modesty, and superb human virtues.

Imam (AS) has many titles out of those Taqi and Taqi are the most famous.

Hakimah, the sister of Imam Reza (AS), says on the night of his (Imam's (AS)) birth my brother advised me to be present beside his wife. The son of Imam (AS) came to the world very conveniently and looked at the sky and declared and confirmed the oneness of God and the Prophethood of the Prophet of Islam (PBUH). I, upon observing this matter trembled and went to my brother, and told him about it. My brother said, "Oh sister don't be disturbed you will see the surprises even after this one."

This birth was a very auspicious, blessed and comforting because it took the Shiahs out of the wandering state, doubt, irresolution and indecision.

Naufali narrates, "When Imam Reza (AS) was traveling to Khorasan I said, "Don't you have any order for me." He said, "You follow my son after me and question him about your difficulties."

Imam (AS) persistently and continuously told his friends, "It is not necessary that you write to me and ask me question, instead you make queries and ask questions from this young child who is the Imam next to me." When some of his friends reflected their amazement and surprise that how this child would be stationed as the Imam of the Ummah? He would say, "God appointed Jesus Christ (AS) as the Prophet when he was even younger than Abu Jafar. Age and years do not have any interference in the Prophet-hood and Imamate.

The Ninth Imam Hazrat Taqi (AS) undertook the responsibility of Imamate at the age of nine years. One of the friends of Imam (AS) says, "Ali ibn Jafar the uncle of Imam commanded a great respect among the people and whenever he went to the mosque, people would surround him and ask questions about their problems." One day, Imam Taqi (AS) arrived the mosque. Ali ibn Jafar who was an aged and elderly person got up from his place and kissed the hand of the Imam (AS), and stood beside him. Imam (AS) said, "Uncle sit down." He said, "How can I sit while you are standing."

When he returned among his friends they reprimanded him saying, "You are an old man and the uncle of this child. Why do you respect him that way?" He replied, "keep quiet, Imamate is an office and a station from God. God did not deem this old man fit and capable for the leadership of the Ummah, but considered this child capable for it. You must all obey his commands."

The Moral Features of Imam (AS)

Imam (AS) was a child when his father passed away but he never happened to commit the child like acts and even one day one of his friends purchased the game items in the age (period) of his father and took it to his house. Imam (AS) was extremely annoyed with him and said, "What do I have to do with these? We are a family of Knowledge and Virtue."

One year after the martyrdom of Imam Reza (AS) Mamoun was proceeding for hunting along with a group of men. Some children were playing in the street. A child was standing on one side of the street and watching them play. All of the children ran away as they saw Mamoun and his army men. But the eleven-year-old child who was watching kept on standing and did not move from his place. Mamoun came near him and asked, "Oh son why did you not run away as the others did?"

He replied, "The way was not narrow so that I could be hurdle for your crossing it. I have not committed any thing wrong so that I might be afraid. I do not think you annoy anyone without reason. Therefore, my running away would be reasonless". Mamoun was surprised and amazed at the boldness, dauntlessness and training of that child and asked, "What is your name?"

He replied "Mohammad."

He asked whose son are you?

He said, "Son of Ali."

Mamoun said, "Are you not the son of Reza (AS)?"

He replied, "Yes."

Mamoun praised and applauded him and move on along with his companions.

The Letter of Imam Reza (AS) for His Son

Baranti says, "One day Imam Reza (AS) wrote a letter on this way, to his son in Madinah."

"Oh son! I have heard that the servants do not allow the people to come and simply contact you and put their difficulties before you. Be aware they (servants) do not want your benefit and prosperity now I order you that the door of your house be open to all the people and all of them be free to come and go so that whosoever may wish he could ask you question about his difficulty may have the energy (freedom) to do it.

Whenever you go somewhere carry money along with you so that if somebody is in need you may help him. Keep your problem stricken, and entangled relatives in view and attend and help them well. Always do not forget generosity and attending the afflicted ones.

Imam's (AS) Contact with the World of Unseen

Following the martyrdom of Imam Reza (AS) eighty men of wisdom traveled to perform Hajj. On the way (to Mecca) they arrived Madinah and went to Imam's (AS) house to pay him a visit. Imam (AS) who was a young age (child) move into the aggregation and all of them stood up to honor and respect him.

Then they asked questions about their problems and heard then response of the Imam (AS) and were very glad. One of them named "Ishaq" says, I had written down a number of problems to ask from the Imam (AS) and request him to pray for me so that God gives we a son. Since the assembly was quite overcrowded I got up to go and come back the next day. Imam (AS) saw me and said, Oh Ishaq, God granted my demand (prayer) and will give you a son. Name him "Ahmad."

Thereafter, Imam (AS) answered my problems. I heard the answers to my questions without even putting them to Imam (AS).

I was much surprised and said, I thank God for the benediction and boon that he has given us. He is the same proof of God (Imam) as I returned to my city not very long had passed that God gave me a son just as Imam (AS) had said. I named him "Ahmad."

Ashari Qomi says, "I had the honor to visit Imam (AS). I humbly said, "One of the ladies, who is one of your friends, has recommended to me that I bring along with me one of your dresses for her so that she may use it as her coffin."

Imam said, "She does not need it any longer."

I did not exactly understand what it meant. I did not utter a word and said goodbye to Imam (AS) and came back. Afterwards, I came to know that a few days before my reaching the Imam (AS), that woman had died. Imam (AS) was informed about her death. He wanted to make me know it by a signal.

Ummiyah says, "During the period when Imam Reza (AS) was in Khorasan I used to visit the ninth Imam's house." One day he told his relatives "Get ready for mourning tomorrow." I said "for whom"? He said, "the mourning of the best of all the human beings, my father Hazrat Reza (AS)."

Aba Salat who was one of the friends of Imam (AS) says, "After the martyrdom of Imam Reza (AS) I was imprisoned by the order of Mamoun. I remained a prisoner for one year and got very much sad and gloomy. One night. I kept waking and busy praying and was calling my Imam (AS) for help. My prayers had not yet finished that I saw Imam Taqi (AS) son of Imam Reza (AS) near myself. He addressing me said, "Oh Aba Salat it seems you have become very sad and gloomy?" I said, "Yes." Imam (AS) came near me and struck his hand upon the chains and all at once those fell to the ground. Then he said, "Get up." He took me by the hand and guided me out of the prison and said "Go, so that now you will not see Mamoun after this and no harm will reach you from him." The way Imam (AS) said it happened.

Imam's (AS) Marriage

After Mamoun had poisoned Imam Reza (AS) he struggled and endeavored hard to show that the death of Imam Reza (AS) was a natural one. But slowly and gradually his craftiness and trickery became evident and Alvis and Shiahs knew that Mamoun himself had committed this crime. Therefore, a hue and cry, Criticism, disturbance, and revolt started against him from various nooks and corners. To control and put a restraint upon that hue and cry he brought the son of Imam Reza (AS) Imam Mohammad Taqi (AS) from Madinah to Khorasan so as to marry his daughter Umm al-Fazl to him. The Abbasids tried hard to stop it but Mamoun did not accept and said to them, you do not recognize him. How do you ask me not to select the best of the Lord's creations and the wisest of all the people for my son-in-law? You can test him. If he answers your questions and defeats you, do not utter a word after that, and take back your demand. If he could not answer your question, I will accede to your request and not give my daughter's hand in marriage to him.

The Abbasids approached Yahya ibn Aqsam and requested him to prepare a number of problems and put to Imam Taqi (AS) questions in the assembly of Mamoun (about those). Yahya acceded to their request. They came to Mamoun and announced the readiness of Yahya ibn Aqsam to him. He fixed a date for that. The Abbasids came along with Yahya to that aggregation. The assembly was a real grand one. All the chieftains and dignitaries were present. At this stage the Imam (AS) arrived there and all of them rose to their feet. He went ahead and took seat near Mamoun, who was not uninclined that Imam (AS) may be questioned and probably he might not be able to answer them. He said to Imam (AS), "Yahya ibn Aqsam wants to ask you some questions." He replied, "he may ask whatever he wishes to."

Yahya said, "what do you say about a person who puts on the dress of Ehram and goes to the house of God for pilgrimage, hunts and kills an animal over there?"

Imam said. "Oh Yahya this problem has many different dimensions. Which of them do you want to ask about? Was the person out of the Haram (area) or inside it? Was he informed and knew about the prohibition of this work or he was uninformed (ignorant of it)? Did he kill the animal purposely or forgetfully? Was he a slave or a free person? The doer of it repented upon it or he has the intention to carry on with it? Was it night or daytime? Was it his first time or second or third? Was the (hunted) animal a bird or otherwise? Was it small or big one?"

Yahya was perplexed and bewildered when the Imam (AS) explained and illustrated the problem very well. His face indicated the signs of defeat and failure and his tongue stammered. All those present appreciated and admired the Imam (AS). Then Imam (AS) facing Yahya said, "I have also a question to ask you?" He said, "Please ask it. If I know I will answer it, if not, then I will benefit from you."

Then Imam (AS) questioned him about a problem all those present were calm, quiet and all ears to her the answer of Aqsam. The Abbasids and Mamouns partisans and adherers were trembling with uneasiness and were saying to themselves. If Aqsam could not give a reply all of us will become marked with ignobility and disgrace. Imam's (AS) honor and worth will ascend to a more than ever level.

At the same time the court scholar bent his head with shame and said, "I do not know the answer to this problem. You describe it so that I benefit from you." Then Imam (AS) gave the answer with beautiful description and pleased all the friends and unpleased all the enemies.

At that time, Mamoun addressed the Abbasids and said, "Do you find anyone among yourselves who could respond and give answer to such problems?"

They replied "By God, no."

Then, Mamoun got his daughter Umm al-Fazl married to Imam (AS) in the same seating of the assembly.

What did Mamoun aim at, by this Marriage?

1. Mamoun had a political motive and aim by this marriage because he, by sending his daughter to the house of Imam (AS) wanted to keep vigilance and watch over Imam (AS) and remain minutely aware about his activities. As is evident from the history his daughter performed her duty of a reporter very well.

2. He wanted that by this marriage he may get Imam (AS) acquainted with the congregations and get together full of drinking and luxurious rejoicing and merry making, and get him busy in pleasure full activities. Resulting which he, on the night of the marriage of Imam (AS), sent beautiful maid servants for singing songs, along with musicians to the Imam (AS). He shouted upon them, and sends them away.

One of the friends of Imam (AS) says, I was present near Imam (AS) in Baghdad and was thinking in my mind as to how lmam (AS) would abandon and leave the charming and beautiful life of the Mamoun's governmental structure and machine, and go to Madinah.

Imam (AS) said to me, "Oh my faithful friend, know it, that eating bread and salt (simple food) and wearing rough dress and living in Madinah near the tomb of the Prophet (PBUH) is better for me than this life."

For the same reason, for all the insisting of Mamoun that Imam (AS) must stay back, He did not stay in Baghdad and arrived Madinah along with his wife Umm al-Fazl and remained there till 220 Hijrah.

3. Mamoun desired that a son may be born from his daughter and be appointed as Imam and thus he may be able to get a document of honor and pride for himself.

Particularly and specially when he had heard from the previous leaders that the twelfth Imam who would be founder of a global government is from the race of this very Imam.

But the daughter of Mamoun did not bear a child to Imam. Hadi, Musa, Mabbarak and the other sons and daughters of Imam (AS) were born from another wife; a kind, modest sublime maid. Mamoun died with this desire in his heart.

Imam's (AS) Station and Status of Knowledge

Before this we learnt how Imam (AS) defeated and made the renowned court scholar unable to reply in the assembly of Mamoun, and got sights of all the scholars focused at himself. In this chapter it is necessary to describe the affair, which took place in the court aggregation of "Mustasim" the Abbasid caliph and brother of Mamoun.

An incident which flared up the anger of the court scholars in such a way that they provoked and instigated "Mutasim" to assassinate Imam (AS). The event goes so that a thief was brought to the court of "Mutasim" so that he may be punished by his order. To begin with, he asked the opinion of the scholars present in his assembly. In this connection the chief and head of them who was a famous and well-known scholar said something, which Mutasim did not accept.

He sent a word, to Imam Taqi (AS) for the solution of that problem. Imam (AS) arrived and all the scholars present in the court stood up from their specified places to pay him respect.

Imam (AS) took his seat among them and fixed the punishment for the thief referring to Quran and Hadith. "Mutasim" accepted the answer of Imam (AS) and ordered it to be implemented.

The scholars who were greatly pinched and angry upon their defeat came to "Mutasim" after Imam (AS) had left and said, "You have defeated and beaten us up by this act of yours and made the Shiahs worthy and valued." Evidently, it will become clear to the people that you and all of us have gone astray, Imam (AS) and his followers are on the right track.

"Mutasim" effected and influenced by these words, took the decision to make amends for what had happened and martyr the Imam (AS) and he did it.

The end of Mamoun's Affair

"Mamoun Abdus" revolted against Mamoun in Egypt. Mamoun moved to crush him. After he had defeated him, he arrived Rome and conquered it, and took many prisoners. On the way back he happened to cross through the land of "Raqqah" which had a very nice, pleasant, and desirable spring known as "Qushaera". Since, that was a place having much pleasant climate he camped over there to stay for a lengthy period of time.

Mamoun got ill over there and when he came to know the meanings of the words "Raqqah" and "Qushayrah" he took it for a bad omen and was greatly disturbed and upset, as he had heard that he will die at a land named "Raqqah". He trembled and shivered for a while and knew that he would die.

At last, Mamoun passed away after an ailment of a few days. He was buried there. After his death "Mutasim" his brother who was a wicked and dirty-charactered person succeeded him. He summoned Imam Taqi (AS) from Madinah to Baghdad so that he could keep him under his eyes and strict vigilance from close quarters.

The Friends of Imam (AS)

Since, in the period of Imam Taqi (AS) the pressure and control of the enemies was much greater (than other times) lesser number of students could be trained. A segment of the prominent students of Imam (AS) are:

(i) "Ali ibn Mahazyar" who was one of the special friends of Imam (AS). He was counted to be among the pious and chaste persons living in Ahwaz.

He has left over behind him nearly thirty books as the monuments of the Ahl al-Bayt (AS) and his memorial. He reached to such status that Imam (AS) wrote about him, "In the name of God, Oh Ali, God may bless you with beneficent reward and place you in his paradise and bless you with the benevolences and boons of two worlds. I have not found a person like you (busy) in (our) well-being and service."

(ii) "Abu Nasar Bazanti" was one of the residents of Kufah and one of the special friends of Imam (AS). All the Shiah scholars accept and recognize his status in jurisprudence, and knowledge. He is the same person who visited Imam Reza (AS) and he gave him a special respect.

(iii) "Zakariya ibn Adam" He was one of the residents of Qom and out of the most worthy friends of Imam (AS) and is buried in Qom. He is one of those for whom Imam (AS) prayed and introduced him as his faithful friend. When one of his friends asked, "I am living at a far away and distant place and cannot contact you and ask you questions about the commandments of religion." Hazrat Imam (AS) replied, "Ask Zakariya ibn Adam who is the trustworthy in affairs of world and religion (resurrection day)."

The Martyrdom

The circumstances of the martyrdom of Imam (AS) have been narrated differently. lbn Sheher Ashoub, a great historian writes so: Because of the extreme anger and grudge that Mutasim nursed in his heart against Imam (AS), he provoked and encouraged Umm al-Fazl the wife of Imam (AS) to murder him. The womanly passions made her accept the killing and martyring Imam (AS) so she poisoned and martyred him. The martyrdom of Imam (AS) took place on Tuesday the 6th of Zil Haj, 220 Hijrah, at the age of 25 years. His pure and sacred body was buried in the graveyard of Quraish beside the grave of his grandfather Imam Musa Kazim (AS) in Baghdad (Kazemayn). The tomb of these two Imams (AS) is known as Kazemayn and is the visiting site of the Shiahs.

Brief Sayings of Imam (AS)

1. A man came to Imam (AS) and said, "Admonish me." He replied, "Oppose (disobey) the wishes of your heart because you are continuously under the observation of God."

2. The sinner who does not stop committing sin and repent is proud. The one who shows greatness to God is perished.

3. The best faithful is the one whose morality is best of all.

4. Man's perfection is in intelligence (wistfulness).

5. Whosoever depends on God, God saves him from every evil.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Martyrdom Anniversary of Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (as)

Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (as) the ninth infallible Imam of the Shiah's and the Greatest Miracle of his age who enriched and expanded the Islamic thought and shari'ah during the period of his Imamat which lasted for seventeen years.

Imam at-Taqi (as) was exiled to Baghdad from Madinah by the ruling Abbasid khalif and stayed in Baghdad until in the year 220 AH when he was martyred in Baghdad by poisoning on 29th Dhul-Qaadah 220 AH by the ruling Abbasid khalif Mu'tasim.

On this sad and grievous occasion I extend my heartfelt condolences to all the lovers of the Holy Ahl al-Bayt (as) in the world.

Ma Salamah,

Ali al-Mahdi

Imam at-Taqi (AS) was born on 10th day of the month of Rajab, in the year 195 A.H. in Madinah - the city of his grandfather, the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.), under the care of his father, Imam Ali ibn Musa ar-Reza (AS) who was qualified with the leadership (Imamate) and its qualifications, a lofty status, the position of leadership in the ummah and in the sciences of Islamic Shari'ah and its laws.

The Imam (AS) was born in a period full of events and political situations, conflicts, and the tension of events of the Abbasid Khalifate between Amin and Ma'moon, the two sons of Harun Rashid.

Those political events and the situations of the conflict which was going on between the two brothers, the Abbasid Khalifs, never ended without reflecting their effects on the life of Imam ar-Reza (AS) attracted the attention of the Muslims -in the city of his grandfather, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) - including religious scholars, jurisprudents, governors, and common people. Thus, the political view of the Khalif, Ma'mun, was directed towards him and, therefore, summoned him to the capital of his rulership (Marv) in the year 200 A.H. and appointed him as heir so that the Khalifate would be transferred to him after Ma'mun's death.

The Imam Reza (AS) was forced to leave Madinah and move towards the city of 'Marv' (in Khorasan - Iran) to accept Ma'mun's invitation after many refusals and abstentions. Before moving to Marv, he took with him, his son, Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS), then, he (AS) started out from Madinah towards Makkah in order to pay a visit to the Sacred House (Kaabah) and, also, to say farewell to it.

Imam ar-Reza (AS) performed the hajj (pilgrimage) with his son, at-Taqi, who was only four years at that time.

Indeed, the young Imam expressed his adherence and love for his father by his insistence to stay under the care of the holy embrace. It was difficult for him to return home (Madinah), alone, and depart from his father, who wrote, in his farewell letter to the Sacred House, that he would not return.

The moments of farewell ended and the hour of departure approached; the young Imam at-Taqi (AS) returned home (to Madinah), bearing the yearnings of love, the adherence of a son for his father; his father moved towards the city of Marv while his heart departed to Madinah, following the procession of the beloved at-Taqi.

The Divine Leadership of Imam at-Taqi (AS)

The period of transferring the leadership to Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS) faced a dangerous problem which caused debates and arguments concerning the personality of Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS) because of his youth. He (AS) was young, at the age of seven, when his father passed away. Books of history and biographies record some of these discussions about the personality of the young Imam (AS) and his capability for the leadership at that age.

When Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS) was born, the same questions were sent to Imam al-Rida in order for them to know who would be the Imam after ar-Reza (AS). Was not Mohammad at-Taqi (AS) a child? And how could he bear the responsibility of the leadership and its affairs if he was at this age? Indeed, Imam ar-Reza (AS) always confirmed that the Imam after him would be his son, Mohammad at-Taqi (AS), and the one who was most qualified.

ibn Qulawaih, on the authority of Kulaini, on the authority of Hussein ibn Mohammad, on the authority of Khariani, on the authority of his father, said:

"I (i.e. Khayrani's father) was standing in front of Abul-Hassan ar-Reza (AS), in Khorasan. Someone asked him: 'My master, if something happens, to whom will authority belong?"

"To Abu Jafar (at-Taqi), my son," he replied. The speaker indicated that the age of Abu Jafar was too young. So, Abul-Hassan ar-Reza (AS), replied: "Allah, may He be praised, sent Jesus, son of Mary, to be an apostle, a prophet, the bringer of a revealed law (Shari'ah), to begin (his mission) when his age was younger than that of Abu Jafar(at-Taqi), peace be upon him."

Narrated Mu'ammar ibn Khalad that he heared Imam ar-Reza (AS), saying: "When he mentioned something and, then, said: 'What need have you for that? Here is Abu Jafar, whom I have brought into my meetings and whom I have made to be my successor.' Then, he added: 'We are the family of the House (Ahl al-Bayt). Our young inherit from our old, like one feather (on a wing) followed by the next.'"

Allamah Majlisi narrated, in his book 'Uyoon Mu'jizat', a description of certain events of that critical period from the age of leadership, and which included the following text:

"... it was pilgrimage season. Some jurisprudents (Fuqaha') of Baghdad and other nations and their religious scholars, numbering 80, went to Madinah to perform Hajj ceremonies and, then, they intended to see Abu Jafar Imam Taqi (AS). When they reached the house of Jafar al-Sadiq (AS), because of its emptiness, entered it and sat on a big carpet.

"Then, Abdullah ibn Musa (Imam ar-Reza's brother) came and sat at the head of the meeting. A caller stood and said: "This is the son of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.), therefore, whoever has any question, he may ask him." He (Abdullah ibn Musa i.e. Imam at-Taqi's nephew) was questioned about things, to which he inappropriately answered. His answers caused the Shi'a to be bewildered and grieved, therefore, the jurisprudents were confused among themselves and started leaving the pleace and telling each other that if Abu Jafar (the Imam) was present, he would have been able to answer all the questions addressed to Abdullah ibn Musa.

"Then, a door was opened at the front of the meeting and Muwafaq, the Imam's servant, entered and said: "This is Abu Jafar Imam Taqi (AS)." All those who were present stood up, welcomed and greeted him, then the Imam (AS) entered.

He (AS) sat while all people kept silent. Then, the questioner stood up and asked the Imam (AS) different questions, to which he (AS) answered perfectly and correctly. His answers caused those present to be happy, give thanks and praise the Imam.

They told him: "Indeed, your uncle, Abdullah, gave verdicts so and so." He (AS) said: "There is no god but Allah, Oh my uncle, Abdullah, gave verdicts so and so." He (AS) said: "There is no god but Allah, Oh my uncle! It is great to stand tomorrow (on the resurrection day) before His hands and He will say to you: 'Why did you give verdicts (issue religious decrees) to My servants about things you did not know, while there was someone among people who had more knowledge than you.'"

Even religious scholars and jurisprudents confirmed their declaration for the Imam Taqi's being qualified with the position of leadership. The vivid declaration of Imam ar-Reza (AS), for his leadership, and the acknowledgement of the famous traditionist, Ali ibn Jafar, are, also, proofs for the Imam's qualification for the position of leadership.

He became an Imam at the age of nine. Mamun thought that as all the rulers before him had oppressed the Holy Imams and their schemes had backfired that he would try to bribe the Holy Imams. He tried to make the 8th Imam his heir apparent and give him power and wealth but that also backfired.

He now tried to use power and wealth with the 9th Imam again but from a much younger age thinking that he would be able to influence him.

His main purpose was also to make sure that the 12th Imam (whom he knew would bring justice to the world) would be from his progeny and therefore intended to give his daughter Ummul Fadl to the Imam for a wife. Mamun still continued oppressing the family and followers of the Ahl al-Bayt (AS).

Mamun called the young Imam (AS) to Baghdad from Madinah and offered his daughter. This infuriated his family (Banu Abbas). To prove to them the excellence of Imam even at a young age he arranged a meeting between Imam and the most learned of men at that time - Yahya ibn Athkam, the Chief Judje of his period .

Imam (AS) read his own Nikah (the khutbah of which is used today) with the Mehr of 500 dirhams. Imam wrote a letter to Mamun that he would also give Umm al-Fadhl Mehr from the wealth of Akhirah. This was in the form of 10 duas which were for fulfilling any hajaat (desires) [Chain of narrators upto Prophet - Jibrail - Allah]* . Thus his title at-Taqi (the generous one).

* These duas are found in Mafatih al-Jinaan (pg 447 - In margin)

The Political course in the Holy Imam's Life

The Holy Imams of Ahl al-Bayt (AS), their followers, and those who supported them during the history of Islam, represented political oppositions against the Umayyad and Abbasid rulers, who usurped the Khalifate and imposed their tyrannical rule on the Muslims and who stayed away from the political course, decreed by the Holy Messenger of Allah (PBUH) for his Ummah.

All the political slogans and plans, declared by Ma'mun, aimed to draw the attention of public opinon and those who were loyal to Holy Prophet's Household [Ahl al-Bayt (AS)] towards him, and calm down the Shi'ah uprisings. But, inspite of that, the Khalif Ma'mun, faced different Shi'ah revolutions because of anti-Islamic deeds.

So, this policy did not last for a long time and, soon, the Abbasid rulers turned to hurting and harming the Holy Imams of Ahl al-Bayt (AS) and hampering them.

The Imam Taqi's Political Role

Studying the historical documents stated by Imam at-Taqi (AS), on one hand, and the attitudes held by the Abbasid authorities towards the Holy Imam, on the other, one can understand that Imam at-Taqi (AS) was at the top of secret political and ideological essence and who practised his activities in secret and had a leading status with a deep impact on awakening the feelings of the people.

Books of traditions, history and narrations recorded for us some of these letters dispatched by Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS), to his companions, followers and representatives and which portray vividly the secret political activity of the Holy Imam (AS) and his companions and cause us to be acquainted with the ideological and political situation of that age.

These letters reveal not only the existence of the deep relationship between the Holy Imam (AS) and his companions and how the financial assistance was presented to him, from different parts of the Muslim lands to cover his needs in performing his activities, but, also, the existence of the Holy Imam's followers, and his sectert cultural and political activity at that time.

Indeed, the Abbasid authorities were watching the Holy Imam's activities and used different ways to hinder it and forbid it against spreading and affecting others. Hence, these letters reveal to us the continuation of this activity and the call in support of the holy family of the Prophet (AS), the deepness of their effect, the influence of their ideological and political tendencies, in the life of people, inspite of the terror and dangers which surrounded them.

The Attitude of Abbasid Khalifs towards Imam at-Taqi (AS)

Certaily, to study and analyze the attitude of the two Abbasid Khalifs, Ma'mun and Mu'tasim, who succeeded the Khalifate after him, toward Imam Mohammad at-Taqi (AS) indicates, clearly, the importance of the leading personality of the Holy Imam (AS) and his esteemed status in the hearts of the people and the inclinations of the Ummah towards him. They considered him (the Holy Imam) as a true representative of Ahl al-Bayt, in that period, and as a successor of his guiding grandfathers (peace be upon them all).

Therefore, we find that Ma'mun summoned the Holy Imam (AS) from Madinah in the year 211 A.H., and then married him, to his daughter, Ummul Fadl. Because of this marriage, Ma'mun involved himself in a conflict with his cousins, the Abbasid family. Ma'mun wanted to assimilate the situation of Imam at-Taqi (AS) towards his collaterals and to contain his public movements in both the ideological and political fields.

But, as we have seen, the Holy Imam (AS) was opposite of this. He (AS) practised his activity accurately and skillfully. The Holy Imam (AS) moved in every field in which the opportunity was supplied to him. He (AS) refused to stay in Baghdad in order to be far from the siege of the authorities and their control and, then, returned to Madinah, his birth place and the residence of his fathers, a centre of knowledge, and faith and a shelter of hearts in order to achieve the related aims as being an Imam (leader) of the Ummah and a pioneer of the Shari'ah.

Holy Imam's Martyrdom

When Ma'mun died, Mu'tasim ascended the throne. He (Mu'tasim), like his Abbasid ancestors, was worried about the leadership of Ahl al-Bayt (AS) and their political and scholarly status. Therefore, he exiled Imam at-Taqi (AS) from Madinah to Baghdad in the year 219 A.H., for fear of his popularity and extending his effect. He did this, in order to draw the Holy Imam near the centre of power and scrutiny and isolate him from practising his popular, political and scholarly role.

Indeed, Imam at-Taqi (AS) was exiled to Baghdad from Madinah and stayed in Baghdad until in the year 220 A.H. when he was martyred by poisoning by his wife Ummul Fadl at the instigation of the ruling Abbasid Khalif Mu'tasim.

His short life lasted twenty five years and some months, and was full of historical, ideological and scholarly struggle and achievements.The Holy Imam (AS) was martyred in Baghdad in the year 220 A.H., on the 29th of Zul-Qa'adah and was burried in the graveyard of Quraysh behind his grandfather, Imam Musa ibn Jafar (AS) the seventh holy Imam.

Imam Mohammad Taqi al-Jawad (as) was entrusted with the responsibilities of Imamate in an apparently tender age of 8 years. He is the Imam with the smallest age i.e. only 25 years before he was martyred at the hands of Motasim Abbasi in the year 220 A.H. Imam Jawad (as) showed immense knowledge and maturity during his short Imamat time of 17 years so much so that at some sessions he answered more than 30 thousand questions within 3 days time.

Once the most learned scholar of the court of Mamoun named Yahya ibne Aksam was prepared for a debate with Imam Jawad(AS) to show that he is still in his infancy and does not have divine knowledge. Imam(AS) went to the court to take up the debate.

Yahya took up one of the most difficult matters in Islamic Shariah and asked Imam(AS) "What will be the Kafarah for a person who hunts while in the state of Ahram?". Imam(AS) before replying said "Your question is incomplete. First you should complete your question. There could be 22 different situations:

(1) Hunting was done within or outside the limits of Haram?

(2) The hunter was aware of this shariah issue or not?

(3) Hunting was done intentionally or occurred un-intentionally?

(4) Hunter was a free person or a slave?

(5) He was a mature (baligh) or immature (nabaligh) person?

(6) He hunted for the first time or had been doing earlier as well?

(7) The hunt was a bird or other animal?

(8) The hunt was a small or a big animal?

(9) Hunter was ashamed of his act or insisted on its correctness?

(10) Hunting was done in the night or day time?

(11) Ahram was for Hajj or Umrah?

"Which of these situations are in question? Since the teaching of shariat depends on them."

Hearing this, Yahya ibne Aksam was speechless and accepted his ignorance and requested the Imam (as) to answer in the light of each situation. Imam (as) replied as follows:

(1) If the animal was hunted while wearing Ahram outside the limits of Haram and the animal was a bird and of big size then the Kafarah is a goat.

(2) If the same has been hunted inside the limits of Haram then the Kafarah is 2 goats.

(3) If the animal was small and hunted outside the Haram then the Kafarah is one lamb that has completed its feeding from its mother.

(4) If this was done inside the haram then the Kafarah is the cost of the bird and one lamb.

(5) If the hunted was a four-legged animal then if it was a wild donkey then the Kafarah is a Cow and if was is an Ostrich then the Kafarah is one Camel and if it was a Deer then one goat.

(6) If the same is done inside the haram then the Kafarah is double.

(7) If the Ahram is for Umrah then the Kafarat have to be brought to the Kaabah and the sacrifice will be done in Makkah. However if the Ahram if of Hajj then the sacrifice will be done in Mina.

(8) It does not matter is the hunter is aware of the shariat issue or not – the Kafarah will be the same in both cases.

(9) If the hunting is done intentionally then there is additional sin committed, but if it was done un-intentionally then there is no sin.

(10) If the hunter is a free person then the Kafarah will be the liability of that person and if the hunter is a slave then the Kafarah is the liability of his owner.

(11) Kafarah will be mandatory on a baligh (mature) person and is not mandatory on a non-baligh (immature) person.

(12) If the hunter repents his act then there is no punishment on the day of judgment but if the hunter insists on it being correct then will have to face punishment on the day of judgment as well.

The Greatness of Imam Mohammad at-Taqi al-Jawad (AS)

After the death of Imam Ali ibn Mousa al-Reza (AS) , Ma’moun, the Abbasid caliph was under constant criticism by his subjects who blamed him for Imam (AS) 's death. In order to keep the situation calm and regain the confidence of his people, Ma’moun invited Imam Mohammad ibn Ali al-Taqi (AS) to Baghdad. He also sent some people to escort the Imam (AS) to show the people that he accorded high respect to the Ahl al-Bait (AS) . At that time, the age of the Imam (AS) was barely 7 to 9 years.

When the Imam (AS) arrived in Baghdad and prior to his meeting with Ma’moun, he was once among the children of his age playing on the road when suddenly they all saw Ma’moun approaching. They quickly dispersed from the place and hid themselves except for Imam al-Taqi (AS) . Ma’moun asked him, "Why haven't you run away like everybody else?" Imam (AS) replied, "The path is not narrow that it would become wider by me moving away from it, nor have I committed any crime that I should run away from you. And I don't think that you are the sort who would punish an innocent person!"

Seeing the handsome and illuminated face of the young boy and listening to his bold reply, Ma’moun was wonderstruck. Therefore, he asked, "What is your name?" The young boy replied, "Mohammad" "Whose son are you?" asked Ma’moun. "I am the son of Ali ibn Mousa al-Reza (AS) " replied the young boy. When Ma’moun heard this, he praised the eighth Imam (AS) and went away.

After this brief encounter, Ma’moun proceeded to the forest. There, he released his eagle which flew and came back with a live fish in its beak. Ma’moun was surprised by this. As he was returning to his palace, Ma’moun passed by the same spot where he had met Imam al-Taqi (AS) earlier on. He noticed that the boy was still there. Addressing him, Ma’moun asked, "O Mohammad! Tell me what do I have in my hand?"

The Imam (AS) replied, "Allah (SWT) has created many vast oceans from which clouds are formed. When clouds are forming, they absorb small live fishes which are sought by the eagles of the kings who then use them to test the Imams of their time.” Hearing this, Ma’moun admitted, "There is no doubt that you are the son of Ali ibn Mousa (AS) , for such miracles are only possible by his son.” (Ahsan al-Maqaal)

The Imams from the progeny of the Holy Prophet (S) did not possess apparent kingdoms and never ruled or behaved like other kings but they were always in enviable position because of their God given status. Even the kings and the rulers were jealous of them.

"Or do they envy the people for what Allah has given them of His grace? But indeed We gave Ebrahim's children the book and the wisdom and We gave them a great kingdom.” (4:54)

It was the house of Prophet Ebrahim (AS) which was promised leadership in religion and greatness as a nation. "The children of Ebrahim" in this verse refers to the offspring of his son Esma’il (AS) who are the Holy Prophet (S) and his holy progeny who were given the book, the wisdom and a great kingdom.

Imam Ja’far as-Sadeq (AS) was asked about the above verse as to who this people are on whom others are jealous and he (AS) replied, "We are those upon whom our enemies are jealous of.” (Tafsir al-Namounah)

JEALOUSY:

Hasad which means "jealousy" is a very dangerous spiritual disease. A Jealous is he who will always wish and also work with evil schemes to eliminate the bounties from others regardless of whether he for himself, gets those bounties or not. In the words of Amir al-Momenin (AS) , "A jealous is he who considers the disappearance of bounties from those he is jealous about, as a bounty for himself.” (Ghorar al-Hekam)

Such a person invites several problems for himself. Some of them are:-

He is never happy in this life. He is always burning within himself and he is continuously in grief.

Imam Ali (AS) has said, "I have never seen an oppressor who resembles an oppressed other than one who is jealous.” (Tohaf al-'Oqoul)

In another tradition, the Imam (AS) has said, "It is sufficient for you to know that one who is jealous about you is grieving during your happiness.” (Behar)

Jealousy has an adverse effect on one's physical health.

It has been proved today certain psychological elements have negative implications upon a person's physical health too. For instance, a person who is under dire stress may become prone to diseases such as diabetes or even heart problems.

Imam Ali (AS) says, "The health of the body is from less of jealousy (in man).” (Tafsir al-Namounah)

In another tradition, he (AS) says, "I am surprised about the negligence of jealous people regarding the well being of their bodies.” (Tafsir al-Namounah)

Jealousy can become the cause of destruction in the hereafter.

Jealousy is so dangerous that if it is not controlled, it can lead one to disbelief in Allah (SWT) and self-destruction in the hereafter.

Abu Lailah was a chief justice in the court of Mo’tasem, the Abbasid caliph. One day, he came to his friend Zarqah in state of extreme anger and when asked the purpose of anger, Abu Lailah said, O Zarqah! Today I was put to a very big test in which I failed. A thief, whose crime was established, was presented before Mo’tasem. Therefore, Mo’tasem asked, 'Qoran says that I should cut the hands of this thief. You tell me from which part shall his hand be cut-off'. I said, ' Qoran states that chop-off the hand of a thief and in the verse of wodhu, it is mentioned that wash your hands till your elbow. So from elbow downwards is considered as hand therefore cut his hand from his elbow'.

Mo’tasem then asked other learned people in his court for their opinion. Someone said, 'In the verse of Tayammom, hand has been mentioned till the wrist so cut the thief's hand from his wrist'. After a lot of discussion and debate, Mo’tasem then put the same question to the Imam of the Shi’ah, Mohammad ibn Ali, who happened to be present at the time. At first, he refused to comment but when Mo’tasem insisted, he said, "You will only cut-off the fingers of the thief because Qoran says: The places of prostration are for Allah meaning parts of the body placed on the ground during Sajdah. Since the thief is also a Muslim who offers prayers, he will need his palms during Sajdah. So you have to leave that and cut only his fingers.”

O Zarqah! Mo’tasem was so pleased with the answer that he praised the Imam of the Shi’ah and we felt discredited. O Zarqah! I am aware that whoever harms this young man will burn in the hell-fire but I will not rest till I have taken my revenge against him} Having said this, Zarqah returned to Mo’tasem to provoke him against the Imam (AS) . He said to him, "What have you done? People as it is believe in him as the true Imam and do not believe in you. Why did you give preference over us? Now you have confirmed to the people through your action that indeed he is on truth and you are on falsehood.” Mo’tasem was so effected by this, that shortly after this incident, he poisoned the Imam (AS) .

Imam Mohammad al-Taqi (AS) passed away in Dhol-Qa’dah 220 AH.

Imam Muhammad at-Taqi (as) has said:

“al-Qaem must be awaited during his occultation and must be obeyed during his appearance; He is the 3rd in my progeny; Even if one day were to remain in the Earth, God would stretch that day until al-Qaem would appear; He would fill the Earth with justice and fairness as it has been filled with injustice and oppression; The best deed of our Shi’ah is the act of awaiting for the deliverance..”

In His Name, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

as-Salaamun ‘Alaykum,

Birth Anniversary of 9th Imam Muhammad at-Taqi (as) - 10 Rajab/July 3, 2009

Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Ali – also known by the titles of al-Jawad and at-Taqi, is the ninth Divinely appointed successor to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his family). In the same vein as most of the members of the Ahlul-Bayt, he too was born in the city of the Prophet – Madinat al-Munawwarah. Although there is a difference in the books of history with Shaykh Mufid relating that he was born in the month of Ramadhan, other reports indicate that he opened his eyes to this world on the 10th of Rajab, in the year 195 AH.

His mother was named Sabikah and was of Nubian (African) origin, while his father, our eighth Imam, ‘‘Ali ibn Mousa ar-Ridha (peace be upon him), as we know was of the city of Madinah in the Hejaz (present day Saudi Arabia).

Imam at-Taqi was only able to benefit from his father’s company for four years since after this, the books narrate that the eighth Imam was forced to migrate to Tous (present day Mashhad). However in doing so, he ended up leaving his young son, the 9th Imam, behind in the city of Madinah.

Very little has been written about Muhammad ibn ‘Ali (as) also known as al-Jawad (The Generous), due to his martyrdom at the young age of 25. This Imam, just as his predecessors, also sought to guide his followers in regards to al-Mahdi. This is a personality who the Prophet himself called his followers towards and who every Imam guided towards.

In one hadith – a discussion between the well-known ‘Abdul-‘Adhim al-Hasani (buried outside of Tehran in the city of Ray), the 9th Imam shared the following knowledge about al-Qaem: al-Qaem must be awaited during his occultation and must be obeyed during his appearance; He is the 3rd in my progeny; Even if one day were to remain in the Earth, God would stretch that day until al-Qaem would appear; He would fill the Earth with justice and fairness as it has been filled with injustice and oppression; The best deed of our Shi’ah is the act of awaiting for the deliverance.”

On this auspicious and divine occasion we extend our Heartiest and Happy Greetings.

Source: World Federation

Salaam wa alaykum :)

These are a few wise sayings of our Imam (as) that came to mind:

Imam Taqi Al-Jawad (as):

"Do not be the friend of Allah in public but an enemy of Allah in private."

"As for the one who acts without knowledge, he would do more harm than good."

"The one who sees something wrong as fine is a partner in that wrong."

"If only the ignorant one remained silent, then there would be no disaccord among the people."

"Sincerity is the best worship."

(bismillah)

(salam)

Congratulations to the Imam (as) of the age and the believers world wide on the occasion of the birth of our 9th Imam - Imam Muhammad ibn Ali -Al Taqi al Jawad

Ziyarat Of Imam Jawad (as)

http://www.ziaraat.com/kazjaw03.php

Recitation of The ZIyarat by Mohsin Farhanmand:

Book on the life of Imam Jawad (as) (in english):

http://www.maaref-fo...jawad/index.htm

Photo Gallery of Assorted pictures of the Jawwadain/Kadhimayn (as) shrine:

http://www.aljawadai...eries/index.php

Live video feed from the holy Shrine:

http://www.zainab.tv/page.php?page=12#ImamKazim

(bismillah)

(salam)

Congratulations! For those who are worried that Rajab 10 is some kind of evil day when Sufiyani comes, don't be scared, because Rajab 10 is the birth anniversary of Imam Jawad AS. May Allah SWT bless you and keep you safe. InshaAllah

Dear Reader..Salam Alaikom..this article may contain some mistakes. Plz let me know about them to change them before it being published..many thanks

Glimpses from the life of Imam Al-Jawad

121971.jpg

The birthday of Imam Al-Jawad (as)

His AS blessed birthday was in Almadina, 195H, which the year the Abbasid AlMamon was given the promise of pledges.

The day he was born is hard to specify it, some said it was the Friday night, 19th Ramadan, some said He AS was born in the mid of Ramadan. Some said he AS was born in Rajab, on Friday, which was stated in Mesbah Almuthajed: Ibn Aiash said, narrated by Alshieikh Alkabeir Abu Alqasim (ra): (O Allah I am asking for the sake of whom were born in Rajab; Mohamed bin Ali the second, and his son Ali bin Mohamed Almontajab)-the supplication- He said: ibn Aiash mentioned it was the 10th of Rajab, the birthday of Abu Ja'far the second (1).

He lived with his father Imam Al-Retha AS for 7 years, 4 months, and two days. He lived after his father for 18 years to 20 days. The period of his imamate was during the last days of Almamon's government, then Almo'tasim government for 8 years, then Alwathiq government for 5 years and 8 months.

He AS was martyred during the government of Alwathiq, 220H. he was 25 years, 3 months, and 22 days.

How was his birthday AS?

Hakima, the daughter of Imam Musa Alkathem AS said: When I went to Alkhaizoran (Imam's mother) on the time she was giving birth, Abu Alhasan took me and her to a house and closed the doors, and the nanny was with us. When it became dark at night the light turned off, and we were gloomed for this. Suddenly, Abu Jafar (Al-Jawad) came out and lit the house. I told his mother: By Allah there is no need for the lamp. Then he sit in the basin, and something soft like the light captured him and his body. In the morning Imam Al-Retha AS came and putted him in the cradle and said to me: stay next to his cradle. She said: on the third day he raised his eyes to the sky and looked right and left, then he said: "I pear witnesses that there is no god but Allah, Alone without any partner. And I pear witnesses that Mohamed is His slave and messenger." Then I woke up scared and shivering, and I went to Al-Retha ( AS), and I told him: I have seen marvelous!. He AS said: What have you seen? I said: This boy did that and that. She said: then Al-Retha AS smiled and said: You will you see of his miracles are more.(2)

His pure mother

She was a bondmaid called Raihana, nicknamed with (Um Al-Hasan). Some said her name was : Sakina, and nicknamed with Khaizoran.

His nicknames and epithets

His surname was: Abu Ja'far which his public name, but his special one, used by his family and servents was (Abu Ali). His epithets are: Al-Zakiy (the pure), Al-Murtadha (being satisfied with), Al-Taqiy (the pious), Al-Qani’ (the satisfied), Al-Mukhtar (the elected), Al-Mutawakkil (the reliant on Allah), and Al-Jawad (the generous) which is the famous one.

His offspring AS

Some said that Imam Mohamed bin Ali Al-Jawad AS had two sons; Imam Ali bin Mohamed Al-Askari AS, and Musa. His daughters are; Khadija, hakima, and Um-Kulthom.

The deviation of some of the followers from the imamate of Al-Jawad AS

Alshreif Almurtatha (Rh) said: Sheikh Almufeid said: … then Imamies (Shiite) continued to follow the path of the imamate during the time of Abu Alhasan Al-Retha AS. When he AS died, and his son Abu Ja'far AS became his successor, who was seven years old only. For this reason (Shiite) were differed among themselves. They were divided to 3 groups: a group continued to follow the imamate and believed in the imamate of Abu Ja'far AS, narrated the text on him, and they are outnumbered the other groups.

The second group renegade towards the faith of (the Waqifah), and they regretted the imamate of Al-Retha AS.

The third group believed in the imamate of Ahmed bin Musa AS (the son of Imam Alkathem) and they assumed that Al-Retha AS recommended him, and appointed his leadership.

The two deviated groups, used the young age of the Abu Ja'far AS as a reason and they said: it is not allowed to the Imam of the time to be a young, and not adult yet.

Is the imamate of Al-Jawad AS acceptable, despite his young age?

This question was so common during the era of Imam Al-Retha, and Imam Al-Jawad AS, and they were answering and demonstrating it (the Imamate of Al-Jawad) with clear evidences, which confounded every obstinate, and foiled their argument.

Safwan bin Yahia said: “Once, I said to Al-Retha: we often asked you, before Allah granted Abu Ja’far to you, about the imam after you and you would say ‘Allah will give me a boy.’ Now, Allah has given you a boy and has delighted our eyes. If something happens (to you), to whom shall we refer? He pointed to Abu Ja’far (Al-Jawad) who was before him and who was at that time three years old. I said, ‘He is a three-year-old child!’ He said, ‘It does not matter. Jesus Christ (as) was entrusted with prophethood while he was less than three years. (3)

Some said to Al-Jawad AS: they are talking about your young age. He AS said: Allah the Almighty inspired David to recommend Solomon who was a young boy, and a shepherd. (4)

al-Khayrani, on the authority of his father, who said:

I (al-Khayrani's father) was standing in front of Abu al-Hasan Al-Retha AS, in Khurasan. Someone asked him: "My Lord, if something happens to you, to whom (will the authority belong)?"

"To Abu Ja'far al-Jawad, my son: he AS replied.

The speaker indicated that the age of Abu Ja'far was too young. So, Abu al-Hasan (al-Rethaa) AS, replied: "God, may He be praised, sent Jesus, son of Mary, to be an apostle, a prophet, the bringer of a revealed law (sharaia), to begin (his mission) when his age was younger than that of Abu Ja'far (al-Jawad) AS." (5)

Ali ibn Asbaat has narrated that:

[Once Abu Ja’ffar (reference to Imam al-Jawad) came to me, so I stared at him so as to be able to describe him to my people back at home when he AS said, “O ‘Ali ibn Asbaat! Know for certain that just as Allah (SWT) has kept proofs and evidences for Prophethood, the same is also true for the Imamate; and He (SWT) has said: ‘And We gave him judgment while still a child’. (19:12) And He (SWT) has also said: ‘When he came of age, We gave him judgment and (sacred) knowledge’. (12:22) Therefore, it is very much possible that some receive judgment in childhood and some after attaining forty years of age”. ](6)

Bringing Imam Al-Jawad AS to Baghdad

- Sayed Mohasen Al-Amein said:

Al-Jawad AS did not come with his father to Khurasan when Almamon summoned him, Al-Retha AS died in while his son Al-Jawad in ALmadina.

- ALmaso'odi said in Ethbat Alwaseia:

When Al-Retha died, Almamon ordered Al- Jawad and brought him to Baghdad, resided him next to his house, and decided to get him married to his daughter Um-Alfathel… (7)

- Some said: he AS stayed there for a year and a half then he was allowed to get back to the Enlightened Madina . After the death of Almamon ( May Allah curse him) and Almo'tasim became khalifa, who was too fearing the imamate of AhlulBayt AS and their scientific, political, and social positions among the nation.

Imam Al-Jawad AS was summoned from Almadina to Baghdad in 219H, due to the fear of becoming famous, and have more authorities, also to be closer to the sight of the government and monitoring, and to limit his freedom.

Indeed, imam Al-Jawad AS was brought to from Almadina to Baghdad. He did not live in Baghdad for long until he was martyred in the 5th of Thi-Alhuhuja, 220H. he was buried in Maqaber Quraish (Cemeteries of Quraish) next to his grandfather Imam Musa bin Ja'far AS.

this short life which lasted for 25 years, but it was great with its ideological and historical impacts, and full of exploits and Jihad.

Some maxims of Imam Al-Jawad AS

- Imam Al-Jawad AS: The one who trusts upon Allah , He shows him pleasure and felicity (makes him happy). The one who depends upon Allah , He suffices the matter of his life. The trust upon Allah is a fort where in nobody except a trustworthy faithful gets accommodated and placed. Trust in Allah is the salvation from all evils and safety from all the enemies .

Religion is the source of honor , knowledge is treasure . Silence is a light . The apex and climax of abstinence is avoiding sin , temperance and fear of God.

There is no destruction for religion such as innovation (heresy) . And there is nothing most spoiling and decaying for man than greed . And the people (matters) are corrected and set right by the ruler. And the supplication moves away (deviates) the calamities and disasters. (8)

- He AS also said:- Our wealth and soul are of God's pleasant gifts (to us) and deposited trusts, they cause happiness and pleasure as long as we enjoy them, and reward is for whatever is taken (from us), so whose grief overcome his patience his reward is lost, and we seek refuge to God from that. (9)

- He AS said:-He whoever listens to a caller is serving him. If the caller was God’s representative, he is then serving God. If the caller was the Shaitan’s (Satan) representative, he is then serving the Shaitan. (10)

- He AS said:- Don’t hostile someone until you know what between him and Allah the Almighty. If he was a good one then He SWT won't let you get him, and if he was a bad one then your knowledge about his enough, so don’t be his enemy. (11)

- He AS said:- Don't be God's friend in appearance and his enemy in secret. (12)

References:

(1)Mesbah Almuthajed, by Sheikh Altusi: Page 805

(2) Althaqib fi Almanaqeb, by Ibn Hamza Altusi: Page 504

(3&4) Alkafi, by Sheikh Alkulaini: V1, Page: 383

(5&6) Alkafi, by Sheikh Alkulaini: V1, Page: 384

(7) Ethbat Alwaseiah, by Almas'odi

(8) A'ian Alshi'a, by Sayed Mohsen Alamen: V2, Page 35

(9)Mostadrak safenat Albihar, By sheikh Ali Alnamazi Alshahrdoi: V10, Page 401

(10)Alkafi, by Sheikh Alkulaini: V6, Page 434, bab Ghena, No. 24

(11) Mawso'at Al Imam Aljawad, by Sayed Alhusaini Alqezweni: V2, Page: 335

(12) The same reference Page: 356

(13) Bihar AlAnwar, By Almah Almajlesi: V75, Page: 365

(bismillah)

The following is the a TV series of 30 episodes, about the life of Imam-Al-Jawad (a.s).

Trailer #1:

Trailer #2:

TV Series Intro:

Official Website:

All 30 Episodes can be watch here on their official youtube, Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BabAlmorad/ 

(wasalam)

Main lesson from Imam Jawad's life (as); if by the time you're 25 and the establishment doesn't hate you for your struggle for justice, and throughout your jihad tries everything in its power to silence you, then you have are not religious, let alone a Muslim... 

That's my own interpretation and not a summary of Imam Khamenai's speech. 

Imam Taqi (as): Answering Fiqh questions is not easy
dot.gif

Mamun al-Rashid son of Harun al-Rashid called the young 9th Imam, Imam Taqi (as) to Baghdad from Medina and offered his daughter. This infuriated his family (Abbasid). To prove to them the excellence of Imam Taqi (as) even at a young age of Twelve year, he arranged a meeting between Imam Taqi (as) and the most learned of men at that time - Yahya ibn Aaktham, the Chief Justice of the Abbasid Empire.

It was a grand occasion with some 900 other scholars present. The court was full of people from near and far everyone wanted to see what the outcome would be.

Yahya asked the first question which was: What would be the kaffara of a person in Ihram who hunted and killed his prey?

Imam Taqi (as) answered that he would have to be given a lot more detail before he could even begin to answer the question.

For example:

Imam Taqi (as): Answering Fiqh questions is not easyWas the person in Ihram Baligh or not?
Was the person a free man or a slave?
Did he know the laws of Sharia on hunting or not?
Was his Ihram for Hajj or Umra?
Did he hunt intentionally or not?
Was this the first time or one of many?
Did the person in Ihram hunt inside the Haram of the Holy Kaaba or outside.
Did he hunt in the day or at night?
Was the prey big or small?
Was the prey a bird or an animal?
Was the person repentant or not?

Yahya was shocked and did not know what to say.

Mamun al-Rashid asked Imam Taqi (as) to answer, Yahya's question for all of the above conditions, which Imam Taqi (as) did.

It was then Imam Taqi (as) to ask Yahya a question, which he did and Yahya could not answer; so Imam Taqi (as) again gave the answer.

Mamun al-Rashid's joy knew no bounds. What he had asserted came true. Addressing the audience he said, "Did I not tell you that the people of the Ahlul Bayt of the Prophet have been gifted by Allah (SWT) with limitless knowledge? None can cope with even the children of this elevated House."

Mamun al-Rashid took the opportunity to offer his daughter Ummul Fazl to Imam Taqi (as). Imam Taqi (as) read his own Nikah (the khutba of which is used today) with the Mehr of 500 dirhams. Imam Taqi (as) wrote a letter to Mamun al-Rashid that he would also give Ummul Fazl Mehr from the wealth of The World to Come (Aakhira). This was in the form of 10 duas which were for fulfilling any hajaat (desires). Thus his title is Al-Jawad (the generous one).

Moral: To answer a fiqh question is not as easy as you may think; this is why Ulema spend years of their lives learning and researching. And why we have to do Taqlid of a Marja (Just like we take the advice of a doctor, when we are ill, we should take the advice of a Marja in religious affairs).