Qasim_Husayn

Whats the point of religion ?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Qasim_Husayn said:

What can religious people do that atheists can't, like whats the point of it

Too much to say - I wouldn't know where to begin.

A short list:

• Religion works on System 1 in ways that promotion of morality devoid of religion cannot.
  • Religion provides important heuristic solutions.
  • Religion solves dilemmas found in Normative Ethics.
  • Rituals build character.
LinkZelda and shia farm girl like this

4 hours ago, Qasim_Husayn said:

Capture22323432444.JPG

The image that you posted is too small. Can you please explain it so that we understand what it is and its significance?

3 hours ago, Muhammed Ali said:

Too much to say - I wouldn't know where to begin.

A short list:

• Religion works on System 1 in ways that promotion of morality devoid of religion cannot.
  • Religion provides important heuristic solutions.
  • Religion solves dilemmas found in Normative Ethics.
  • Rituals build character.

Can you give me an example of all of these, most people would argue that religion fails economically/ethically. That ethics from the 7th century are quite barbaric, and so is the economcis 

Religion provides you with rules to follow in this life. We follow these rules because God being the most wise and knowledgeable commanded us to, and it is what's best for us. Atheists don't care about their spirituality or even acknowledge the existence of God so they live their life however they want thinking it's the only life. 

52 minutes ago, Qasim_Husayn said:

Can you give me an example of all of these, most people would argue that religion fails economically/ethically. That ethics from the 7th century are quite barbaric, and so is the economcis 

The question isn't about any particular interpretation of religion, it's about religion as a whole. So interpretation of 7th century religions do not negate the benefits of religion in fostering ethics. 

Btw look into the views of Rodney Shakespeare on some of the superiorities of Islamic economics over Western economics.

Examples of each of item in the list:

One more point: God provides objective solutions to difficult ethical problems. E.g. the trolley problem or the fat man problem.

Qasim_Husayn likes this

15 hours ago, Qasim_Husayn said:

The main point is to live a life in accordance with divine guidance. No one force us to do that, we chose to do so with our freewill. 

I think every difference orginates from this main point.

Firstly, atheists have a religion. It's just based on whatever their own ideals are. Religions are ways of life, and need not be theistic by strict definition. 

Muslims have various religions too, for some it's Islam and for others it's something a tad less God-centered. 

Edited by magma

Purpose of religion is to acknowledge God and follow his specific guidance. Athiests do not acknowledge God but themselves. They rather ignore a higher power to have authority over them so they try to fool themselves into such thoughts. Religion gives people a purpose to live while athiesm gives no significance to a person life.

They literally believe they were not created and just happen to spontaneously appear out of nowhere giving the sense that they have freewill without being judged after death. One can believe they want to improve things for coming generations, but why? Is not all for nothing? Should they die, today or whenever, why would they put all that effort, because even the coming generations shall likewise perish.

Psalm 53:1 - The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. 

Edited by The_Bible

I haven't watched it, and I absolutely refuse to watch it, but through intuition and analysis I can tell by the hatred on that mans face in the picture, that he has hatred in his heart, and that this video is intended to offend the believers of god. 

Judging a person by their looks does not define who they are...it defines who you are.

9 hours ago, Quisant said:

God Loves you.

If God doesn't exist then who created us and the universe?

UNI - A single or one

VERSE - Sentence

UNI-VERSE - A single spoken sentence

Hebrews 11:3 - Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Jeremiah 4:23 - I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light.

Genesis 1:3 - And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 

Edited by The_Bible

10 hours ago, Quisant said:

Judging a person by their looks does not define who they are...it defines who you are.

A mother threatens her kid with punishment, no one challange the love of mother.

A mother punish her child for his wrong doing, this also doesn't put the love of mother (for her child) into question.

I see a total failure of this guy (Carlin) to understand love. 

This usually happen when socially & morally deprived & abused persons start ridiculing things. 

On 11/12/2016 at 10:22 PM, .InshAllah. said:

Athiesm cannot give you an accurate world view because atheism is false!  

I'm sorry, I really can't take this seriously, especially with that exclamation mark

Religion is a very broad word. We first have to define which religion. Sun worshiping is also a religion, but thats not whats being referred to here. If we define religion, as the god given religion without deviation, then we only have Islam of ahlulbait. So then we move on to the question, what is the point of it? 

The devine religion gives us the proper view of creation and our place in it as described by our creator. 

- It defines truth vs falsehood, and god's promise that falsehood is eventually destroyed one way or another. Expanding this, we can for instance, understand that an economy system based on reba (war against god) will eventually be destroyed, regardless of how well it is designed. Hence, the global economic collapse to come.

- It defines noor (light) vs zulemot (darkness), so if a society moves towards darkness through disobeying Allah, then they move closer to calamities, chaos, spread of evil and eventually collapse and destruction. Hence, to create a lasting society, is to first implement the islamic principles in the society and from there everything else. 

- Defines human beings as spiritual beings with the goal of ascending towards their creator vs evolved, intelligent animals. The society that is designed through this has the purpose of ascending its members vs creating comfort and happiness. 

- Defines the path of salvation, both in this world and the next. Imam Hussain and Karbala is a good example of how they're both intertwined.