Rate this topic

I will add a bit more (just to pass the time before I finish for the day)

Knowledge (be it true or false) is all that is known.

The unknown is everything else.

The sets are mutual exclusive.

Interestingly, while knowledge can be false, the unknown can never be false.

For something to be false it must be known.

If something is known by a single person, it is knowledge.

If it is not known by anybody, it is not knowledge.

There are no other criteria or qualifications.

Anything that is not conceived of by a sentient mind is unknown. It may very well exist, but until it is conceived it remains unknown.

Really I am just waiting to see which other point you were going to make, but now my internet time is over.

wslm.

20 hours ago, Quisant said:

But let's carry on... or at this pace we will be here for a very long time :)

Thank you, I don't think I disagree with your definitions. 

Moving on: 

Divine knowledge attaches to the source of an event from its particular cause and effect. In other words, Divine knowledge does not detach from the cause to link directly to the occurrence or non-occurrence of an event. 1 For example, the alarm has the effect of waking you up. But we won’t say that God knew that you will wake up. We will instead say that God knew that the alarm has, or will have, the effect of waking you up.

Let’s make it slightly complicated. Suppose that you would have gone to the washroom after waking up. Here we have two ways of looking at the system of cause and effect.  In a broader scheme, it can be said that the alarm was one of the agents that played its role in taking you to the washroom. But specifically, it was your voluntary act of getting up (instead of snoozing the alarm and continuing to sleep) that took you to the washroom.  Unlike the alarm, your decision to get up is a free agent because it had the capacity to choose.  Since it has already been explained that Divine knowledge links to the source of an event from its particular cause and effect, the reasonable argument is that God knew that, after waking up from the alarm, you will freely choose to go to the washroom [Even though you had the option to stay in bed].

Therefore, returning to Omar Khayyam blaming Divine knowledge for his wine drinking problem, I say that he is mistaken. Because it was not forced drinking or plain drinking that God knew. Instead, it was a voluntary act of drinking that God knew. The causes and agents vary in nature. Some of them are natural, others are conscious. Similarly, some are free agents, having the capacity to choose, while others are not.  2

This is how I understand it and look forward to reading your thoughts. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------

1- Man and His Destiny - Ayatullah Murtadha Mutaharri. 

2 - Ibid.

1 hour ago, Abbas. said:

This is how I understand it and look forward to reading your thoughts.

Apologists often engage in sophistry, in order to avoid the reductio of their arguments exposing the flaws in them, and I sorry to say that I feel you're doing it now, by playing with with semantics/words. 

Whilst I am sure that you genuinely believe what you say, you are presenting me with an apparently feasible word salad which conveniently limits God to knowing some things and not being aware of other things. 

Is the dictionary definition of "omniscient" not accurate? 

According to the dictionary Omniscience means:
Having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/omniscient

I would suggest that the definition stands, but if you disagree, then let me know your definition, because I believe the dictionary definition is the general accepted consensus.

If everything that exists has a ‘reason’ for its existence and the source of that reason is ‘random chance’ then you do have some free will.
But if the source of that ‘reason’ is God then you have no free will.

My sincerest thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to have an exchange of views with me, it is greatly appreciated. :)

All the best.

1 hour ago, Quisant said:

If everything that exists has a ‘reason’ for its existence and the source of that reason is ‘random chance’ then you do have some free will.
But if the source of that ‘reason’ is God then you have no free will.

If everything that exists has a 'reason', there has to be a conscious source that emanates the reason. 

Anyway, I see that our discussion bears no further fruit.