Rate this topic

We all were created with potential. That potential reached and unleashed is Mohammad.

All but Ahlulbayt neglected that potential to some extent.

We neglected it by a lot. We are here to redeem ourselves and prove ourselves worthy.

In short: "The purpose of life is to prove I love you".

Devil's advocate: Evolution and natural selection do not (have to) give intelligent beings a reason and purpose to live. They are ancestral processes which explain how you are here. But to learn why you are here is a philosophical discussion, an ideological one, or purely that of faith (often blind). 

2 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Why?

I used to get depressed over this question as well, but after all these years of experiancing life at its depth, I now realise why. Its because :

- Allah wants to taste the sweetness of pure faith and love from his true believers, after putting them through struggles and hardship. 

- Allah wanted the light of the 14 masoomeens to exist on this earth. So He created everything else in order to give us a chance to follow them in this life,  and enjoy their company in the hereafter. 

(If you are still not satisfied with these answers, then just think of it this way...you are already living so you might as well just enjoy your time on this earth because life is temporary. )

9 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Devil's advocate: Evolution and natural selection do not (have to) give intelligent beings a reason and purpose to live. They are ancestral processes which explain how you are here. But to learn why you are here is a philosophical discussion, an ideological one, or purely that of faith (often blind). 

That is one of the reasons why I could never become an atheist. It doesnt explain WHY we are living.

Only Islam has a logical answer to this WHY. 

4 minutes ago, E.L King said:

The Holy Qur'an answers:

This answer never used to satisfy me, because it sounds too shallow. It always made me think of Allah as selfish and self-centred. Whenever i saw this quote I thought to myself " why is Allah making US suffer just so he can be worshipped" or " Allah is just USING his creatures in order to get what He wants" (may Allah forgive me for saying all that) . But allhamdulillah, now that I have found a satisfactory answer, I no longer have these thoughts) 

Allah did not create the creation, the Prophets, the angels, the successors of the prophets asws for any purpose other than to worship him. All this we see around is has been created purely for the purpose of worshipping Allah azwj. 

file.jpg

There is ofcourse, a more thorough and more complex answer but i am pressed for time 

1 hour ago, armeen said:

That is one of the reasons why I could never become an atheist. It doesnt explain WHY we are living.

Only Islam has a logical answer to this WHY. 

Unfortunately, non-Muslims will not view your earlier response as a logical answer from Islam.

For example, you said:

- Allah wants to taste the sweetness of pure faith and love from his true believers, after putting them through struggles and hardship. 

This can be viewed as wishful thinking and a lazy attitude towards life and its complexities.

- Allah wanted the light of the 14 masoomeens to exist on this earth. So He created everything else in order to give us a chance to follow them in this life,  and enjoy their company in the hereafter. 

This is pure faith with no regards to logic and reasoning, at least from the perspective of a non-Muslim.

1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Why?

"Surah Al-Mulk, Verse 2:

الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْمَوْتَ وَالْحَيَاةَ لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ أَيُّكُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلًا وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْغَفُورُ

Who created death and life that He may try you-- which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Forgiving,"

To thank Ahsun ul Khaleqeen, we have to perform Ahsun ul Aamaal.

33 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Unfortunately, non-Muslims will not view your earlier response as a logical answer from Islam.

For example, you said:

This can be viewed as wishful thinking and a lazy attitude towards life and its complexities.

This is pure faith with no regards to logic and reasoning, at least from the perspective of a non-Muslim.

So what answer could possibly seem reasonable to a non-muslim? 

2 hours ago, E.L King said:

And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.

Surat Al-Dhariyat. 56

Worship Him, but not with any sort of Jabr. Worship Him, with our free will. Submit ourselves to Him, The Most High, The Most Merciful Lord.

17 minutes ago, Pangea said:

For One without Need or want of anything, why does He want to be worshipped?

It is the ultimate result when recognizes the reality. He created us with the ability to sense & percieve His existence. 

Worship means reverence, it is admiration, thanks giving, shukr e mun'em

Edited by Engineer73

54 minutes ago, armeen said:

So what answer could possibly seem reasonable to a non-muslim? 

Perhaps an answer that does not begin with a supposition that God of Islam is the ultimate truth.

I have a feeling that the OP had a philosophical approach in mind. But that too is highly debated.

21 minutes ago, Engineer73 said:

It is the ultimate result when recognizes the reality. He created us with the ability to sense & percieve His existence. 

Worship means reverence, it is admiration, thanks giving, shukr e mun'em

The question is a good one, God is Omniscient and cannot learn anything new, He is Immutable and cannot change his mind, so what is the point of creation?

If there existed an Omnipotent God who wished everyone to know Him, it would be the case that everyone knows God exists. It is not the case that everyone knows God exists.

37 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

I have a feeling that the OP had a philosophical approach in mind. But that too is highly debated.

Indeed I do. Philosophy is someone's opinion but can be extremely eye opening.

------------------

People here are throwing around verses from the Qur'an without even knowing all the 7 meanings.

Why does Allah (s.w.t) want us to worship Him?

"admiration, thanks giving" Okay, but why?

--------------

@Jebreil your thoughts?

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

1 minute ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Indeed I do. Philosophy is someone's opinion but can be extremely eye opening.

------------------

People here are throwing around verses from the Qur'an without even knowing all the 7 meanings.

For the same reason he exists, to have value.

I think it's simple that our potential is our purpose, God doesn't create something with potential except to reach it.

Why Allah [swt] gave us that potential, is because of who he is.

The greatest potential is instance of worshiping God. But at the end, he creates us with potential so we reach it.

24 minutes ago, Quisant said:

so what is the point of creation?

We cannot answer this question as we're not the creator. Creator Himself said this:

Surah Al-Mulk, Verse 2:

الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْمَوْتَ وَالْحَيَاةَ لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ أَيُّكُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلًا وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْغَفُورُ

Who created death and life that He may try you-- which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Forgiving,

(English - Shakir)

Do you require more explanation of this verse?

24 minutes ago, Quisant said:

If there existed an Omnipotent God  who wished everyone to know Him, it would be the case that everyone knows God exists. It is not the case that everyone knows God exists.

I prefer to present before you, the answer given by God, He knows you very well and knows what is in your heart :), here is the answer:

Surah Al-Maeda, Verse 48:

وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ فَاحْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللَّهُ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَهُمْ عَمَّا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنكُمْ شِرْعَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَجَعَلَكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَلَٰكِن لِّيَبْلُوَكُمْ فِي مَا آتَاكُمْ فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَاتِ إِلَى اللَّهِ مَرْجِعُكُمْ جَمِيعًا فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ

And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it, therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth that has come to you; for every one of you did We appoint a law and a way, and if Allah had pleased He would have made you (all) a single people(one nation following one religion), but that He might try you in what He gave you, therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let you know that in which you differed;

(English - Shakir)

8 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Look brother, there can be two ways to answer your question.

1. Either i try logical approach to prove the existence first & then we move ahead to next level why worship.

2. I present before you the message of Creator, who else can describe best other then Him, that why are we here? Assuming you believe in God, I preseted the message, although i was aware that you already know them.

17 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

admiration, thanks giving" Okay, but why?

It is in our nature. :)

Why we respect our parents? Why we thanks them? They gave us birth, fulfilled our needs, provided us the means, guided us/ taught us the good & bad things. What is our natural response to their favors? We love them & we respect them... this is natural response.

Now just make the picture big, think about everything & the one who has created everything. 

Hopefully you agree our existence is a good thing.  (If it wasnt, then you would prefer not to exist, which I dont believe is the case)

So if our existence is a good thing, then that's a reason for God to create us, as God is ultimate goodness.

Our existence becomes even more valuable if we become virtuous and become close to the source of all goodness, which is Allah swt.  So that is a reason for us to devote ourselves to God.

1 hour ago, Abbas. said:

Perhaps an answer that does not begin with a supposition that God of Islam is the ultimate truth.

There are many people who would prefer not to exist. what can you say to them?

1 hour ago, .InshAllah. said:

Hopefully you agree our existence is a good thing.

Our existence is nothing, if we compare it to the existence of Ever-Living God. 

2 hours ago, .InshAllah. said:

(If it wasnt, then you would prefer not to exist, which I dont believe is the case)

Our existence does not require our choice or will.