Haji 2003

Can an American please explain this?

Comment on Quora I didn't get:

Why am I not surprised that the Potato Parcel business came out of the University of North Texas? Oh Denton, you’re the gift that keeps on giving.

I swear, Denton’s motto should be “Denton - Where people who find Portland too normal go to retire”

I can guess the implication about UNT, but don't get the sarcasm about Denton/Portland.

nvm about my post from earlier.  Seems to be comparing two texas cities and because im not from texas i wouldnt know about those areas.

Sounds like theyre implying that denton is more contemporary or interesting than portland texas

Edited by iCambrian

2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

I can guess the implication about UNT, but don't get the sarcasm about Denton/Portland.

I take it they are making fun of Denton, I can only guess.... Denton is a ghetto city. There is nothing out there in the city of Denton except for the university or at least 9 years ago where I lived in Dallas Tx.  I have no clue as to where Portland Texas is or how it is compared to Denton...

10 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Portland,Oregon is  known as one of the best entrepreneurial cities in the world. The poster meant to say that Portland is boring as compared to Denton when is comes to creativity and entrepreneurship. 

For the record, I am not an American. 

Edited by starlight
Added state after Portland

They are probably talking about Portland Oregon, which has a strong progressive liberal hipster culture. A big part of the culture in Texas is more conservative and would find people in Portland weird, it sounds like Denton is the exception hence the comparison to Portland.