Rate this topic

Wasail al Shia Volume 4 Page 382

Imam Jafar Sadigh  (alaihe salam) said "Black is makrooh on all items except for turban, cloak." (There is one more which I forget)

In all depictions the Imams and Prophets are depicted in turbans. 

Wasail al Shia Volume 3 Page 297

At Ghadir Khums the Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaihe wasallam) tied a green imamah onto the head of Imam Ali (alaihe salam) which was green in colour with one end in front and one end behind.

All our scholars wear turbans, but none recommend it for us, some even discourage. In Qom, graduates only wear turbans. Why is that?

I actually like wearing a turban. But sadly i dont feel comfortable wearing this in our centres due to being the ONLY one.

When i did, people asked why i wore it as i wasnt an arab.

So i didnt feel comfortable, but like to wear it in salah.

Sunnis wear it all the time, and feel personally more comfortable wearing it there. However than feel the odd one again when praying Salah with hands on the side (shia alert), so its a no win situation.

Things need to change!

One of main events in the conduct of Imam Reza (A.S.) was his heading toward Eid prayer place whereby his holiness proved the importance of prayer and its effect in the society and showed to the Muslims and statesmen the blessing outcomes of congregation prayers and its changeable power. One Eid, Ma’mun requested Imam Reza (A.S.) to perform the Eid prayer along with people so that people might have more confidence in the caliphate of his holiness. Imam Reza (A.S.) gave the message: “we agreed that I shall not interfere with any official task; so, let me off from performing the prayer”. But Ma’mun insisted: “It seems advisable that you perform this significant prayer so that both your position as caliph is established and your grandeur is evident to all”. Each time Imam Reza (A.S.) refused, Ma’mun insisted more. Finally Imam Reza (A.S.) said to him: “Ok, I will perform the prayer but according to the custom of the prophet (S.A.W.) and Imam Ali (A.S.)”. Ma’mun said: “as you wish”.

Then he ordered all the commanders and people to gather before the house of Imam Reza (A.S.) in the morning of the Eid day. With this news spread, people of Marv made ready to take part in the ceremony to make use of presence of Imam Reza (A.S.). After the sun rose, his holiness performed ablution (Ghusl) and wore a white cotton-made turban throwing one end over his chest and the other end between his two shoulders; he used also a little perfume, put his skirt around his twist and ordered all the companions to do so. Then he took an arrow-bearing stick and left the house. His holiness moved toward the prayer place along with his companions and servants while he was barefoot sticking his shirts to the twist and the companions had done the same. At the time of leaving the house, Imam Reza (A.S.) raised his head toward the sky and recited four Takbirs with such a dignity and spirituality that the walls and the sky seemed to be reciting with him.

The way the scholars wear it is the style of the Hawza, it wouldn't make much sense for us to wear it like that as that isn't how the Prophet wore it.

Man la Yahdhuruhul Faqih

وسمعت مشائخنا رضي الله عنهم يقولون : لا تجوز الصلاة في الطابقية ( 6 ) ولا يجوزللمعتم أن يصلي إلا وهو متحنك

( 6 ) الطابقية : العمامة التي لا حنك لها

And I (Shaikh Sadooq) heard from our blessed mashaikh (senior teachers) saying: "Not valid is the prayer in tabqiyah* and not valid is it for the amama wearer to pray unless he does tahannuk(drop an end of the turban between the shoulders).

*Tabqiyah: Amama without hanak (end of the turban dropping down between shoulders).

http://realtashayyu.blogspot.be/2011/02/amama-of-scholars.html

Edited by Ali_Hussain

On 11/16/2016 at 11:19 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

I too love wearing a turban. But people here frown upon it because "it's only for scholars", which is hogwash. It's for all of us.

Wear your turban Emarati style. No one seems to care if you do 

I love the Iraqi style of wearing it :grin: