Tango

Sunni School Jummah Prayer

20 posts in this topic

Ok so, in our school, you are able to go and read jummah prayers in the main hall at lunch time. 

I am a Shia but the majority of the people in our school are sunnis. 

They don't take kindly to Shias here. They're not haters or anything like that but they're gonna pop up with all sorts of questions that I can't be bothered to answer if they know I am shia.

Does anyone know how the sunni Jummah prayers usually go and is it permissible for me to pray like a sunni would (hands above navel etc.)

Please just answer the question

[1] Basically, there will be 2 khutbas, praising the caliphs in the 2nd.

[2] They will fold their hands and do sujood on a rug. It is not haram or makrooh for sunnis to leave their hands aside, all the schools permit it and Malik considers it wajib in fard prayers.

[3] At the end of al-Fatiha, some may call Ameen out loud.

[4] As for sujood, they will do so on a rug, you can either put down a piece of paper or keep a small piece in your hand to use for sujood, or simply find a spot where there is ground.

[6] Sunnis do not raise their hands in between sujood (avoid for taqiyya)

[7] Also, you will notice they all raise their finger in tashahhud.

[8] Finally they will do salam to the right then left.

You may just intend nafl prayers and simply offer zuhr later.

Edited by Ozzy

Thank you for the info!

Do you know if they perform any sunnah prayers before or after the obligatory prayer?

I know that some sunnis consider sunnat prayers wajib.

Some offer 2, Hanafis offer 4.

Likewise, after Jumuah salah, some offer 2, hanafis offer 4 + 2.

Also, do not shout out Salawat during khutba!

After Salah, the Imam may do some prayers for the congregation, so avoid standing up immediately after prayer or you'll be stuck with sitting in front of you.

Sincerely, thanks for your help Ozzy.

The sunnis have a different tashahud but it shoudn't matter because you're not expected to read aloud right?

That's right, the tasbeehat of dhikr during Ruku, Sujood and Tashahhud are silent.

But it's ok to recite softly, just that they do not recite salawat in ruku or sujood.

* Turn your head after the Imam says the 2nd salam.

Edited by Ozzy

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

مسألة 6 : يستحب للمنفرد والإمام الايماء بالتسليم الاخير إلى يمينه بمؤخر عينه أو بأنفه أو غيرهما على وجه لا ينافي الاستقبال ، وأما المأموم فإن لم يكن على يساره أحد فكذلك ، وإن كان على يساره بعض المأمومين فيأتي بتسليمة اخرى مومئا إلى يساره ، ويحتمل استحباب تسليم آخر للمأموم بقصد الإمام فيكون ثلاث مرات.

http://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23/1896/

Edited by E.L King
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

[1] Basically, there will be 2 khutbas, praising the caliphs in the 2nd.

[2] They will fold their hands and do sujood on a rug. It is not haram or makrooh for sunnis to leave their hands aside, all the schools permit it and Malik considers it wajib in fard prayers.

[3] At the end of al-Fatiha, some may call Ameen out loud.

[4] As for sujood, they will do so on a rug, you can either put down a piece of paper or keep a small piece in your hand to use for sujood, or simply find a spot where there is ground.

[6] Sunnis do not raise their hands in between sujood (avoid for taqiyya)

[7] Also, you will notice they all raise their finger in tashahhud.

You may just intend nafl prayers and simply offer zuhr later.

IS taqiyya only for preventing death/life situations?  Why would Taqiyya be important here?

If you fear for your life, then invoke taqiyya, but I don't think your life is in danger here and I'm 100% certain you can only invoke it when you fear for your life.   I'd pray as normal and use it as an opportunity to see how they're behavior changes towards you now they know you're a Shia'.  If they come and try to ask you questions or question your faith, just politely tell them you came to pray and be a muslim.  If your presence is unwelcome then you can leave -- connect to their guilt and make them avoid trying to scare ya off.

1 hour ago, wmehar2 said:

IS taqiyya only for preventing death/life situations?  Why would Taqiyya be important here?

If you fear for your life, then invoke taqiyya, but I don't think your life is in danger here and I'm 100% certain you can only invoke it when you fear for your life.   I'd pray as normal and use it as an opportunity to see how they're behavior changes towards you now they know you're a Shia'.  If they come and try to ask you questions or question your faith, just politely tell them you came to pray and be a muslim.  If your presence is unwelcome then you can leave -- connect to their guilt and make them avoid trying to scare ya off.

I totally agree with you however ...

Unfortunately the world isn't as sensible as it seems, mustahab acts are seen political in the eyes of some people, where I know of brothers who were persecuted simply for leaving their hands aside (something acceptable in Sunnism), ultimately leading to much greater problems in the community, and not just a case of 'leaving' them, they can be harassing and affect you psychologically once everyone starts gossiping about you.

The brother is free to raise his hands in between sujood, however it takes a few crazy people to spot that and it could get very retarded.

It is not a life or death situation, but it is not worth creating a life or death situation over mustahab acts.

On 5.11.2016 at 3:03 PM, Ozzy said:

[7] Also, you will notice they all raise their finger in tashahhud

We do this too.

11 hours ago, Ali al-Abdullah said:

We do this too.

تهذيب الأحكام: (305) 113 ـ محمد بن يعقوب عن علي بن ابراهيم عن أبيه عن النوفلي عن السكوني عن جعفر بن محمد أن عليا 7 قال: تلبية الاخرس وتشهده وقراءته القرآن في الصلاة تحريك لسانه واشارته باصبعه

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

تهذيب الأحكام: (305) 113 ـ محمد بن يعقوب عن علي بن ابراهيم عن أبيه عن النوفلي عن السكوني عن جعفر بن محمد أن عليا 7 قال: تلبية الاخرس وتشهده وقراءته القرآن في الصلاة تحريك لسانه واشارته باصبعه

I  don't understand Arabic.

There is no narration from the Imams عليهم السلام that instructs to raise the finger during Tashahhud in general.

The narration is from Tahdhib al-Ahkaam where Imam Sadiq عليه السلام explains that raising the finger during talbiya, tashahhud, and Qur'an is for the mute.

Edited by Ozzy

Abu Hanifa was also against raising finger during tashahhud.

Sunni are not informed about their own customs and practices. The egalization of prayer in sunnism is actually a Saudi attempt to take over sunnism while salafis disguised as sunnis.

Edited by Faruk

On ‎5‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 4:38 PM, wmehar2 said:

Salam,

You're a great guy!

This is some of the characteristics that I do appreciate as a S-E Asian from our Caucasian brothers.

Your down-to-earthness in cases like this. Not affected by social pressure in any way.

Edited by Faruk

On ‎5‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 6:36 PM, Ozzy said:

I totally agree with you however ...

Unfortunately the world isn't as sensible as it seems, mustahab acts are seen political in the eyes of some people, where I know of brothers who were persecuted simply for leaving their hands aside (something acceptable in Sunnism), ultimately leading to much greater problems in the community, and not just a case of 'leaving' them, they can be harassing and affect you psychologically once everyone starts gossiping about you.

The brother is free to raise his hands in between sujood, however it takes a few crazy people to spot that and it could get very retarded.

It is not a life or death situation, but it is not worth creating a life or death situation over mustahab acts.

In Europe 2016 AD?

I actually tried some periods of time to attend sunni mosques regularly but 'till a certain point I became irritated about the ignorance and know-it-better mentality that fills the air. Let alone, neglecting crucial facts of their own history.

They think Ahl as-Sunnah is between nawasib and ghuluw and then mention khawarij and rafidi while they do not even realize that the supporters of the Umayyads were they themselves.

But as a unity-muslim I have to find a way to deal with this.

And even though they claim to love Imam Ali a.s. again it's like the US claiming they're done away with slavery and colonialism and still waging wars overseas in the name of democracy.

Still accepting Muawiyyah and successors. Even Marwan was a caliph to them while he killed one of their ten promised Paradise.

Playing stupid is maybe the best way.

Edited by Faruk

2 hours ago, Faruk said:

In Europe 2016 AD?

Yes. If a sunni can kill a sunni over a christmas card in Scotland 2016, a shia can be killed for being a shia ...

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

You're a great guy!

This is some of the characteristics that I do appreciate as a S-E Asian from our Caucasian brothers.

Your down-to-earthness in cases like this. Not affected by social pressure in any way.

Walaikum as salaam,

Thanks, I think lol.

I'm not entirely Caucasian, I'm half Pakistani too you know xD.

But for others social pressure can be a hard obstacle to overcome. Many people don't even realize they're pressuring others.

Being confident in yourself/being secure in faith is crucial.  

I've seen what some social pressures can do to people; as such  some are justified in hiding beliefs.  But to each other,  in the west we shouldnt be afraid. 

1 person likes this