Jump to content
Tango

Sunni School Jummah Prayer

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Ok so, in our school, you are able to go and read jummah prayers in the main hall at lunch time. 

I am a Shia but the majority of the people in our school are sunnis. 

They don't take kindly to Shias here. They're not haters or anything like that but they're gonna pop up with all sorts of questions that I can't be bothered to answer if they know I am shia.

Does anyone know how the sunni Jummah prayers usually go and is it permissible for me to pray like a sunni would (hands above navel etc.)

Please just answer the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[1] Basically, there will be 2 khutbas, praising the caliphs in the 2nd.

[2] They will fold their hands and do sujood on a rug. It is not haram or makrooh for sunnis to leave their hands aside, all the schools permit it and Malik considers it wajib in fard prayers.

[3] At the end of al-Fatiha, some may call Ameen out loud.

[4] As for sujood, they will do so on a rug, you can either put down a piece of paper or keep a small piece in your hand to use for sujood, or simply find a spot where there is ground.

[6] Sunnis do not raise their hands in between sujood (avoid for taqiyya)

[7] Also, you will notice they all raise their finger in tashahhud.

[8] Finally they will do salam to the right then left.

You may just intend nafl prayers and simply offer zuhr later.

Edited by Ozzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some offer 2, Hanafis offer 4.

Likewise, after Jumuah salah, some offer 2, hanafis offer 4 + 2.

Also, do not shout out Salawat during khutba!

After Salah, the Imam may do some prayers for the congregation, so avoid standing up immediately after prayer or you'll be stuck with sitting in front of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's right, the tasbeehat of dhikr during Ruku, Sujood and Tashahhud are silent.

But it's ok to recite softly, just that they do not recite salawat in ruku or sujood.

* Turn your head after the Imam says the 2nd salam.

Edited by Ozzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

[8] Finally they will do salam to the right then left.

 مسألة 6 : يستحب للمنفرد والإمام الايماء بالتسليم الاخير إلى يمينه بمؤخر عينه أو بأنفه أو غيرهما على وجه لا ينافي الاستقبال ، وأما المأموم فإن لم يكن على يساره أحد فكذلك ، وإن كان على يساره بعض المأمومين فيأتي بتسليمة اخرى مومئا إلى يساره ، ويحتمل استحباب تسليم آخر للمأموم بقصد الإمام فيكون ثلاث مرات.

http://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23/1896/

Edited by E.L King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

[1] Basically, there will be 2 khutbas, praising the caliphs in the 2nd.

[2] They will fold their hands and do sujood on a rug. It is not haram or makrooh for sunnis to leave their hands aside, all the schools permit it and Malik considers it wajib in fard prayers.

[3] At the end of al-Fatiha, some may call Ameen out loud.

[4] As for sujood, they will do so on a rug, you can either put down a piece of paper or keep a small piece in your hand to use for sujood, or simply find a spot where there is ground.

[6] Sunnis do not raise their hands in between sujood (avoid for taqiyya)

[7] Also, you will notice they all raise their finger in tashahhud.

[8] Finally they will do salam to the right then left.

You may just intend nafl prayers and simply offer zuhr later.

IS taqiyya only for preventing death/life situations?  Why would Taqiyya be important here?

If you fear for your life, then invoke taqiyya, but I don't think your life is in danger here and I'm 100% certain you can only invoke it when you fear for your life.   I'd pray as normal and use it as an opportunity to see how they're behavior changes towards you now they know you're a Shia'.  If they come and try to ask you questions or question your faith, just politely tell them you came to pray and be a muslim.  If your presence is unwelcome then you can leave -- connect to their guilt and make them avoid trying to scare ya off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, wmehar2 said:

IS taqiyya only for preventing death/life situations?  Why would Taqiyya be important here?

If you fear for your life, then invoke taqiyya, but I don't think your life is in danger here and I'm 100% certain you can only invoke it when you fear for your life.   I'd pray as normal and use it as an opportunity to see how they're behavior changes towards you now they know you're a Shia'.  If they come and try to ask you questions or question your faith, just politely tell them you came to pray and be a muslim.  If your presence is unwelcome then you can leave -- connect to their guilt and make them avoid trying to scare ya off.

I totally agree with you however ...

Unfortunately the world isn't as sensible as it seems, mustahab acts are seen political in the eyes of some people, where I know of brothers who were persecuted simply for leaving their hands aside (something acceptable in Sunnism), ultimately leading to much greater problems in the community, and not just a case of 'leaving' them, they can be harassing and affect you psychologically once everyone starts gossiping about you.

The brother is free to raise his hands in between sujood, however it takes a few crazy people to spot that and it could get very retarded.

It is not a life or death situation, but it is not worth creating a life or death situation over mustahab acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ali al-Abdullah said:

We do this too.

تهذيب الأحكام: (305) 113 ـ محمد بن يعقوب عن علي بن ابراهيم عن أبيه عن النوفلي عن السكوني عن جعفر بن محمد أن عليا 7 قال: تلبية الاخرس وتشهده وقراءته القرآن في الصلاة تحريك لسانه واشارته باصبعه

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

تهذيب الأحكام: (305) 113 ـ محمد بن يعقوب عن علي بن ابراهيم عن أبيه عن النوفلي عن السكوني عن جعفر بن محمد أن عليا 7 قال: تلبية الاخرس وتشهده وقراءته القرآن في الصلاة تحريك لسانه واشارته باصبعه

I  don't understand Arabic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no narration from the Imams عليهم السلام that instructs to raise the finger during Tashahhud in general.

The narration is from Tahdhib al-Ahkaam where Imam Sadiq عليه السلام explains that raising the finger during talbiya, tashahhud, and Qur'an is for the mute.

Edited by Ozzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abu Hanifa was also against raising finger during tashahhud.

Sunni are not informed about their own customs and practices. The egalization of prayer in sunnism is actually a Saudi attempt to take over sunnism while salafis disguised as sunnis.

Edited by Faruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 4:38 PM, wmehar2 said:

IS taqiyya only for preventing death/life situations?  Why would Taqiyya be important here?

If you fear for your life, then invoke taqiyya, but I don't think your life is in danger here and I'm 100% certain you can only invoke it when you fear for your life.   I'd pray as normal and use it as an opportunity to see how they're behavior changes towards you now they know you're a Shia'.  If they come and try to ask you questions or question your faith, just politely tell them you came to pray and be a muslim.  If your presence is unwelcome then you can leave -- connect to their guilt and make them avoid trying to scare ya off.

Salam,

You're a great guy!

This is some of the characteristics that I do appreciate as a S-E Asian from our Caucasian brothers.

Your down-to-earthness in cases like this. Not affected by social pressure in any way.

 

Edited by Faruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 6:36 PM, Ozzy said:

 

I totally agree with you however ...

Unfortunately the world isn't as sensible as it seems, mustahab acts are seen political in the eyes of some people, where I know of brothers who were persecuted simply for leaving their hands aside (something acceptable in Sunnism), ultimately leading to much greater problems in the community, and not just a case of 'leaving' them, they can be harassing and affect you psychologically once everyone starts gossiping about you.

The brother is free to raise his hands in between sujood, however it takes a few crazy people to spot that and it could get very retarded.

It is not a life or death situation, but it is not worth creating a life or death situation over mustahab acts.

In Europe 2016 AD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually tried some periods of time to attend sunni mosques regularly but 'till a certain point I became irritated about the ignorance and know-it-better mentality that fills the air. Let alone, neglecting crucial facts of their own history.

They think Ahl as-Sunnah is between nawasib and ghuluw and then mention khawarij and rafidi while they do not even realize that the supporters of the Umayyads were they themselves.

But as a unity-muslim I have to find a way to deal with this.

And even though they claim to love Imam Ali a.s. again it's like the US claiming they're done away with slavery and colonialism and still waging wars overseas in the name of democracy.

Still accepting Muawiyyah and successors. Even Marwan was a caliph to them while he killed one of their ten promised Paradise.

Playing stupid is maybe the best way.

Edited by Faruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

You're a great guy!

This is some of the characteristics that I do appreciate as a S-E Asian from our Caucasian brothers.

Your down-to-earthness in cases like this. Not affected by social pressure in any way.

 

Walaikum as salaam,

Thanks, I think lol.

I'm not entirely Caucasian, I'm half Pakistani too you know xD.

But for others social pressure can be a hard obstacle to overcome. Many people don't even realize they're pressuring others.

Being confident in yourself/being secure in faith is crucial.  

I've seen what some social pressures can do to people; as such  some are justified in hiding beliefs.  But to each other,  in the west we shouldnt be afraid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

    • The Saudis have no shame in declaring that they are pro-Israel and anti-Shia: https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5047348,00.html   https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5047289,00.html
    • Brother, all Muslim women who don't observe Hijab know that it's Wajib. They all know that it's in Quran. Your approach should be changed. When I said be nice to her, I mean be super nice. For example, see what she likes to drink in the morning. Wake up early, GI to kitchen, make a perfect coffee or whatever and go to her room and give it to her. You should try hard. It's a Jihad. You can also peel fruit and give it to her during the day. She should feel that her brother is supportive and trustful first. I know you are good to her now, but for a big change like Hijab observation, you should try harder. When I was back in Iran, I used to do similar things for my mother, and it affects on the person. I made breakfast and gave it to my mum on her bed when she woke up. I didn't do that to ask my mum to do sth, I did that because I love my mum. I realized that women like it. After several months of supporting and being nice, you can gradually start talking about Hijab. That time you can be HOPEFUL to see some small changes in her dress style (maybe wearing long shorts or leggings instead of short ones). Regardless of whatever result you'll get, you did your effort and Jihad. If it's a small change, you should be proud of yourself. 
    • 1. The narrations from Ahl albaayt AS indicate the permission of wearing black clothes in  month of Muharram  for the  mourning for Imam Hussein over the calamities  faced by him 2.  The views of ulema indicate that the black clothes are not permissible while praying. The simple question arises here does it mean that the praying during the month of Muharram with black clothes is Makrooh . haram? Similarly, if the Kaaba is clothed black in all does it mean that all the persons praying there have makrooh  prayers because of black Kaaba? would you please like to clarify? wasalam
    • See this http://holywatcher.narod.ru/iblis.pdf Very dangerous path.  They keep saying that Iblis did not prostrate because he did not want to worship other than Allah. However the Quran, and Iblis' response in the Quran is not so! Iblis says in the Quran that he did not prostrate because Adam a.s. was made of 'mud' ... in essence saying he is higher... or in other terminology known as 'Racism' and Arrogance.  So why and where on earth are these people forcing the image that Iblis acted out of love for God?? Completely absurd.  @Haydar Husayn
    • Hi if search youtube will see that they use this day to insult to other sects but  other shia groups diesnt have any activity for this day they want to insult umar in order start a war between shia& sunni muslim in favor of wahabists
×