Reza

Can All Knowledge Be Shared?

Rate this topic

You would think so, but maybe not. Some knowledge can only be gained by direct experience, which cannot be shared from one person to the next. You have to do it and get it yourself.

Edited by magma

All knowledge can be shared in the literal sense, but how useful that knowledge is or how a person reacts to that specific knowledge is variable.

I remember listening in a lecture once, that Imam Ali (a.s) would sometimes punch his wrist in the ground, and when asked why by one of his close companions, he would say: I have so much knowledge to share, but my Ummah would never be able to handle the knowledge. And so I have no one to transmit it to except to the earth.  Also, there is so much hidden knowledge that even Shia's today would not be able to handle or accept. 

Knowledge from the professional sense can only be gained from experience IMHO. That's why I am not a fan of universities and degrees in general. I only got a university degree so I can land a comfortable job, but whatever I learnt from uni in terms of knowledge did not benefit me when I started working, and I only gained my professional knowledge from hands on experience. 

But bookish type of knowledge and general knowledge can be shared however one has to be careful from this type of knowledge and must master the skills of critical analysis of the knowledge he receives - this of course requires some experience and the ability of filtering . 

I once mentioned on another thread that I feel that youth who were brought up in the west tend to mature way quicker than they do here. And I suggested that this might be due to the open-minded secular culture of the West. But then a brother made me look at it from another view which made sense. He said that this has nothing to do with the open minded, think outside the box culture, but that it had more to do with the fact that people there, from a young age, live a very hard life and that the work culture is very demanding, this in return forces individuals to learn a lot from a young ago because of the tough experience that they endure, which is the opposite of the relaxed life here and this made sense to me. My younger sister is smart in the academic sense, she goes to school, gains knowledge and is able to score high grades. But try having an 'intellectual' conversation with her, she won't be able to. And I can see the difference between her and our cousin who is also 15 but is brought up in the West. 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:42 AM, magma said:

You would think so, but maybe not. Some knowledge can only be gained by direct experience, which cannot be shared from one person to the next. You have to do it and get it yourself.

What is our understanding of term "knowledge"? Sharing is a secondary thing.