Hameedeh

The Revolution of Imam al-Husayn (a)

The Revolution of Imam al-Husayn (a)

Its Impact on the Consciousness of Muslim Society

AUTHOR(S): 

Shaykh Muhammad Mahdi Shams ad-Din Al-Amili

PUBLISHER(S): 
Muhammadi Trust of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

The impact of Karbala on the consciousness of Muslim society. Ziyara (pilgrimage), lamentation poetry, remembering Imam Husayn (a), and weeping.

TRANSLATOR(S): 
Dr. I. K. A. Howard

CATEGORY: 
Imam al-Husayn and Karbala

[MOD NOTE: Each link goes to a different section or get the PDF at the bottom of the post.]

THE REVOLUTION OF IMAM AL-HUSAYN (A)

Publisher’s Foreword

About The Book

The Author

Author’s Preface

Introduction

I. Explanation of The Use of Terminology

II. The Attitude Towards The Revolution

1. The Eve of the Revolution

2. The Aftermath of the Revolution

III. The Motives And Aims Which The Revolution Implanted In Popular Consciousness

The First Tendency

The Second Tendency

IV. The Ways the Revolution Flowed Into Popular Consciousness

The Doctrinal Factor

The Call of the Holy Family

The Nature of the Tragedy

The Psychological Situation of the Shi'ite Muslim

The Ziyara

I. The Legality Of The Ziyara

II. The History Of The Ziyara Before Al-Husayn

III. The Ziyara To Al-Husayn: Its Objectives And Aims

IV. The Ziyara In The Legal Texts

V. Two Examples Of The Ziyara To Al-Husayn

1. The First Example

2. The Second Example

Vl. The Ziyara in the Poetry of Lament for Al-Husayn

VII. Three Other Ziyaras Concerned With the Revolution of Al-Husayn

1. The ziyara to al-'Abbas ibn 'Ali ibn Abi Talib

2. The ziyara of 'Ali (al-Akbar) ibn al-Husayn ibn 'Ali ibn Abi Talib

3. The ziyara of the Martyrs of Karbala'

Lamentation Poetry

I. The Doctrinal Background To The Literature Of Lamentation For Al-Husayn As A Manifestation Of The Revolution Of Al-Husayn In Popular Consciousness

II. The Hostile Attitude of the Authorities

III. Poetic Content And Man S Psychological Disposition

The Umayyad Period

2. The Early 'Abbasid Period

3. The Later 'Abbasid Period

IV. The Themes Of The Poetry Of Lamentation For Al-Husayn

Human Grief

Nature's Grief

The Grief of the Angels and the Jinn

4. The Virtues of the Holy Family

Their Personal Virtues

Their Religious Virtues

Their Family Background as Direct Descendants of the Apostle of God

The Human Enemies of the Revolution

The Muslims

The Kufans and the Iraqis

The Umayyads

Other men and Women

The Women of the Holy Family

The Children and the Young Men of the Holy Family

The Story of the Battle

Water and Thirst

Karbala': The Bank of the Euphrates and the Graves

The Humiliation of Quraysh and the Humiliation of Islam and the Muslims

The Meeting with the Apostle of God and the Holy Family

The Martyrs.

The Hardship the Poets Faced because of their Allegiance

Support with the Tongue

V. The Value Of The Poetry About Al-Husayn

The first reason

The second reason

The third reason: The profusion of verses in lament for al-Husayn

Rites of Remembrance for al-Husayn

I. Funeral And Remembrance Rites For Al-Husayn Held By The Family And Spontaneously By The People

1. Introduction

2. The Funeral And Remembrance Rites Of The Family

a) At Karbala

b) In Damascus

c) In Medina

II. The Public Rites of Remembrance for Al-Husayn

III. The Stages of the Rites of Remembrance for Al-Husayn

The First Stage

The Second Stage

The Language of the Rites of Remembrance

Historical Accuracy

Poetry

The Virtues of the Holy Family

The Other Imams

Acts of Renunciation of the World

The Third Stage

IV. The Present and Thoughts on The Future

Weeping

The Phenomenon of Weeping

II. The Legal Texts

III. Analysis Of The Phenomenon Of Weeping

Get PDF

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
To add the Mod Note.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

• Is it true that isis soldiers even killed babies?
    • Remove "knowledge" & "power" from the scene.
    • If you mean about Moses speaking to God (which I probably think this was the story, though never knew the bush was not consumed), then it was a miracle. A miracle is : An extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency. That is what we call "Tawaqqu' al-mustaqbal" predicting the future, and it is haram/Forbidden to do, and the nice thing is they mostly don't work, unless it was a "wild" guess, as some call it. Though the Prophet (sawa) once predicted future events more than 1 time, and all of them came true, you interested? Again, if the "angels"(which I think you mean) were to appear they wouldn't appear from their own will, God wants them to appear. Again, God is: the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being. So God can basically break the laws, which he himself created, when he wants, as they don't apply to him.   Though angels in Islam aren't the winged angels, they are some sort of "Spirits" of  unknown nature. The word "Mala'ika" means the "heavenly" ones, or the ones who always obey. So again not the winges creatures like the Christian/Jewish thoughts. Though they could possibly lift themselves through the means/ways of aerodynamics. Only God knows.   This one happened, I think it was by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a), he basically puts the amputated part, on the other, and joins them together.  I have seen the name "Allah" once through a cloud, not sure if it is going to help though. Well, it is pretty hard to do so. 
    • What? That's crazy. People who think like that need self esteem, not employment. 
    • All the above activity,  but this( post below )  is not possible http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235006908-sunnis-and-shias-can-we-just-unite/?page=11&tab=comments#comment-3098307 Your answer was I responded to you, "Seal of the Prophets, Prophet Muhammad al Mustafa, (peace be upon him and his pure progeny) the best of the creation, the best example to follow for you, the one who has more right on you then you yourself. Is off limits to your conversations? its a deal breaker. So, who's Sunnah are you using/ discussing/ following as a role model in formulating your plans for the Caliphate?  It seems like its a political meeting, for political power struggle.  ***** Above should be clear enough. Lets talk about, this notion of Social Unity, Political Unity, which is foreign to Islam. As Islam is not a personal relationship with Ones version of god. Its a way of like, which incorporates, individual, social, economic political aspects. So we do not have a concept of Social Unity, ot political Unity and lets leave the religion alone for now. This is a secular concept.  Your stated goals for the Social & Political unity is the Common enemy. This is a foreign playbook, that we do not follow. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّسُولَ وَأُولِي الْأَمْرِ مِنْكُمْ ۖ فَإِنْ تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُدُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَالرَّسُولِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ خَيْرٌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلًا {59} [Pickthal 4:59] O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; and if ye have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if ye are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more seemly in the end. So, let come to the Messenger, and understand what is our true Religion. I mentioned it Page 4 of this Thread,we are at page 11. with a lot of distraction(s) in between. http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235006908-sunnis-and-shias-can-we-just-unite/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-3097753 Read the post above the one posted here, on page 4.  Read and understand this, and review the life to see what was the Common enemy at that time, it was not a foreign enemy. Follow the Sunnah of the Truthful.  Abu Sa'íd al-Khudari reports that one day we were sitting waiting for the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) to come out. He came to us while we saw that the strap of his shoe was broken; he gave it to 'Ali to repair. Then he said, "One of you will wage war for the interpretation (ta'wíl) of the Qur'an just as I waged war for its revelation (tanzíl)." Abu Bakr said, "Am I the one?" The Prophet said, "No." Then 'Umar said, "Am I the one?" The Prophet said, "No, but the one who is repairing the shoe."15 https://www.al-islam.org/shiism-imamate-and-wilayat-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/knowledge-ahlul-bayt#6-concept-al-quran-natiq ***** You can have your plan an work it, try working with GCC and OPEC, if you ever succeed here, go for a Islamic Union.( social, political, economic, go for common currency) as a start. Fix the problem within, before going after the External Common enemy. Another thing, we did not have any such deals here , that "Seal of the Prophets, Prophet Muhammad al Mustafa, (peace be upon him and his pure progeny) the best of the creation, the best example to follow for you, the one who has more right on you then you yourself. Is off limits to our conversations? So, you have said you peace and given your plan, let us have an academic discussion.