LeftCoastMom

Water is Life: Standing Rock

Please pray for the protesters on Standing Rock..protesting the Dakota Access pipeline that could threaten their drinking water and sacred sites.

I have friends and possibly  relatives there today. The tribal chair and at least one tribal council member has been arrested.

@LeftCoastMom

Prayers for the safety and self restraint of protesters and police. I hope nobody gets hurt, and those arrested are treated with justice and humanity.

I don't know the specific issue, just want everyone to be safe and not oppressed.

2 hours ago, notme said:

@LeftCoastMom

Prayers for the safety and self restraint of protesters and police. I hope nobody gets hurt, and those arrested are treated with justice and humanity.

I don't know the specific issue, just want everyone to be safe and not oppressed.

Thanks. The issue is that the Bakken crude oil pipeline skirts the northern boundary of the reservation near Cannonball. ( It was rerouted from where it originally was supposed to go upstream of Bismarck. )It has been controversial for a while ,even with non-native landowners for various reasons... one of which is  pollution of available water sources. Standing Rock has filed an injunction to be heard in a couple of weeks . They are trying to stop any work because the pipe is to go under the Missouri River, threatening the water supply for the reservation, until they can get into court. Although the pipeline is just outside reservation boundaries, it still crosses treaty land, so the Lakota feel justified in taking on the Corps of Engineers.

The tribal chair and council person have been released on bail, far as I know. Not yet sure of the status of other arrestees. 

Edited by LeftCoastMom

@Gaius I. Caesar @hameedeh @notme

@Bakir

Well, I'm pretty tired trying to keep up with my loved ones out at Cannon Ball . Here is just a short run-down on the situation. Thanks for the prayers.

The Dakota Access pipeline , which will cross the Missouri River twice and is scheduled to be run just north of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation  boundary in North Dakota, is being protested by at least four tribal governments and various other groups , native and non-native, for reasons ranging from eminent domain concerns to environmental threats. 

In the case of the Reservation, the Missouri is their main source of drinking water as well as the fact that the pipe is going to be run through a village site and burial area that was active until the 1920's. As well, although the pipeline is just outside reservation boundaries, it is still on treaty land according to the Fort Laramie Treaty.  ( Tribes are still winning legal cases on treaty rights, which have the force of federal law. Treaties, like any other law, do not cease to exist because they are broken ).

The private Texas oil company , Energy Transfer Partners  , and the Army Corps of Engineers is building the project. It is somehow being treated like a public utility and therefore has escaped the more strenuous environmental impact scrutiny usually reserved for these types of processes. 

As well, the native community has not been properly consulted regarding the pipeline which might have such a devastating effect on their future. The native community has been fighting the proposed route ( changed from the original...which was supposed to be run near Bismarck) through meetings with government officials, court process, a run to DC by the youth, and other actions. At present, several blockades and protest sites have been set up in key places to impede the building of the pipeline.. Tribal people from surrounding reservations as well as allies from off the reservation of all ethnicities have been coming in to assist. There are reports of allies coming on the roads being stopped and questioned by police and that some  people have chosen to go overland on horse to avoid the  roads.

The idea is to keep work slowed or halted on the pipeline until the Tribe's court date on the 24th in federal court in Washington DC.  The leaders of the protest have insisted on peaceful means and have told both police and workers that they don't bear them any ill will, but that they must be allowed to protest and the work must stop. There have been almost 30 arrests so far, including the Tribal Chair and a Tribal Councilperson. The pipeline company has fought back with lawsuits against the tribe.

At first there was a media blackout of the proceedings at Cannon Ball, but social media and several celebrities have made headway in getting this into the public view. Until recently, many actions by tribal people were ignored by the main media entities, which added to the myth that native peoples no longer exist or are defeated and passive. With the advent of social media, those myths are being exploded.

After several days of protest, neither police nor workers showed up at the site today ( Tuesday), giving the blockaders a day of rest and prayer.

I don't know what will happen next, but I hope all are safe.

Here are a few explanatory videos. The one from "Redacted Tonight" is about the youth run from the reservation to Washington DC, but it unfortunately contains some foul language, although it is pretty funny and points to the level of government hypocrisy that often exists. ( For instance, the  man behind Obama in the headdress is the tribal chair arrested a few days ago).

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fajplusenglish%2Fvideos%2F780139732127536%2F&show_text=0&width=560

Edited by LeftCoastMom

This is one I included just for interest factor. Not every day you get to see an old school ceremonial horse charge to open the road for the protestors.( IMHO, the local police would rather be doing other things than guarding a pipeline that probably threatens their water supply off-reservation as well. )

10 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Well, I'm pretty tired trying to keep up with my loved ones out at Cannon Ball . Here is just a short run-down on the situation. Thanks for the prayers.

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks for explaining what's going on. If there's anything people in Florida can do, please let me know. As it is, I'm going to share the Youtube links you shared on my Facebook page right now.

Y'all are in my husband's and my prayers.

Peace and God bless you, and God bless and protect the Native peoples, and your wonderful family!!!

Edited by Christianlady

12 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

In the case of the Reservation, the Missouri is their main source of drinking water as well as the fact that the pipe is going to be run through a village site and burial area that was active until the 1920's. As well, although the pipeline is just outside reservation boundaries, it is still on treaty land according to the Fort Laramie Treaty.  ( Tribes are still winning legal cases on treaty rights, which have the force of federal law. Treaties, like any other law, do not cease to exist because they are broken ).

AllahuAkbar! this sounds like the plot of a baddie in a movie! 

I will remember these people in my Prayers, May Allah grant them victory over their oppressors! 

@hameedeh @DigitalUmmah @Bakir@Christianlady @Gaius I. Caesar @notme Etc.The work was stopped for two days on the Pipeline. The oil company filed for and got a restraining order against the tribe and tribal officials. ( As one of my friends said...what are they going to do? Sue us AND the horses we rode in on...literally!) lol!
The tribespeople responded by setting up yet another camp to accommodate the incoming reinforcements. Lol. 
Here are the arriving Oglala Lakota:

There are defenders directing traffic to keep the road clear for people to drive. Even some of the private security guarding the equipment was offered water. The Elders and organizers are still insisting on peaceful protests and blockades. But arrests have been made even so:

It's been interesting to see the corporate media propaganda machine spinning up...trying to paint the protestors as violent and one sheriff official reported to the media unsubstantiated reports of someone reporting " shots fired" ( no weapons are allowed in the camps) and " pipe bombs" ( do they think the Chanupas, the ceremonial pipes, are pipe bombs?! )
Give me a break.

Why be violent? there is a court date coming up!

Here is Dallas Goldtooth explaining the situation in the capital of ND.

#nodapl press conference at the ND state capital building. we are peaceful protectors of water!

Posted by No Dakota Access in Treaty Territory - Camp of the Sacred Stones on Thursday, August 18, 2016

And after that there was a round dance allowed in the street 

We've been given the road so a round dance is starting. Thank you so much, Bismarck! This support is so beautiful to witness.

Posted by No Dakota Access in Treaty Territory - Camp of the Sacred Stones on Thursday, August 18, 2016

Here are some other interesting videos if you're interested ( one about the Youth Run just completed )

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.

share the videos you want to to focus more attention on this struggle.

image.jpeg

Edited by LeftCoastMom

6 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

@hameedeh @DigitalUmmah @Bakir@Christianlady @Gaius I. Caesar @notme Etc.The work was stopped for two days on the Pipeline. The oil company filed for and got a restraining order against the tribe and tribal officials. ( As one of my friends said...what are they going to do? Sue us AND the horses we rode in on...literally!) lol!
The tribespeople responded by setting up yet another camp to accommodate the incoming reinforcements. Lol. 
Here are the arriving Oglala Lakota:

There are defenders directing traffic to keep the road clear for people to drive. Even some of the private security guarding the equipment was offered water. The Elders and organizers are still insisting on peaceful protests and blockades. But arrests have been made even so:

It's been interesting to see the corporate media propaganda machine spinning up...trying to paint the protestors as violent and one sheriff official reported to the media unsubstantiated reports of someone reporting " shots fired" ( no weapons are allowed in the camps) and " pipe bombs" ( do they think the Chanupas, the ceremonial pipes, are pipe bombs?! )
Give me a break.

Why be violent? there is a court date coming up!

Here is Dallas Goldtooth explaining the situation in the capital of ND.

#nodapl press conference at the ND state capital building. we are peaceful protectors of water!

And after that there was a round dance allowed in the street 

We've been given the road so a round dance is starting. Thank you so much, Bismarck! This support is so beautiful to witness.

Here are some other interesting videos if you're interested ( one about the Youth Run just completed )

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.

share the videos you want to to focus more attention on this struggle.

image.jpeg

Is there anything we can do, sister?

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks so much for the news and videos!!! 

I'm glad that actress Shailene Woodley is helping, and i hope more and more people with platforms will help!!!

I wish I knew people with powerful connections but I don't. Oil companies are one of the most powerful entities in the USA; they have tremendous influence with the government. It's like a spiritual David and Goliath fight when one takes on an oil company and wins. 

I pray that God grants the protestors success. It seems like the oil company is hoping the protestors get physically violent. It's awesome that the protestors are not playing into their hands, since violence against them would help the oil company get the protestors off their back.

Would it help if people around the USA wrote letters to someone? Sign a petition? Thanks for educating us!!!

Peace and God bless you

47 minutes ago, Christianlady said:

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks so much for the news and videos!!! 

I'm glad that actress Shailene Woodley is helping, and i hope more and more people with platforms will help!!!

I wish I knew people with powerful connections but I don't. Oil companies are one of the most powerful entities in the USA; they have tremendous influence with the government. It's like a spiritual David and Goliath fight when one takes on an oil company and wins. 

I pray that God grants the protestors success. It seems like the oil company is hoping the protestors get physically violent. It's awesome that the protestors are not playing into their hands, since violence against them would help the oil company get the protestors off their back.

Would it help if people around the USA wrote letters to someone? Sign a petition? Thanks for educating us!!!

Peace and God bless you

She was legendary in the Bernie Sanders Campaign.

6 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Is there anything we can do, sister?

Thanks!

You can go to the website of Sacred Stone Camp, Rezpect Our Water , or No Dakota Access Pipeline ( might be more now, but those are the ones I know.) They have places to donate or send supplies to the blockaders. There are also online petitions to sign and other ways to help. For international folks, sharing videos and keeping your press on it is helpful. ( I know some religious or political leader in Iran...forgot who...already has chewed out the US regarding the treatment of native peoples.) It's also important to know that non-natives along the Pipeline route are also fighting. Iowa farmers have filed suit and one poor Iowa veteran who hung his flag upside down as protest over the pipeline crossing his property and possibly messing with his well was arrested,too. The "Cowboy and Indian Alliance"  helped halt the KXL a while back. Other projects have already been derailed or changed due to citizen response.

These  underhanded tactics of the pipeline company are like cockroaches...they don't like daylight. The allies need to keep the real narrative going in response to the false one. This is pretty classic and there might be attempts to goad the defenders into escalation, but as you can see from the arrest video, the Elders/ Spiritual Leaders  are right there and are on it.  Thanks again!

@Christianlady

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Thanks!

You can go to the website of Sacred Stone Camp, Rezpect Our Water , or No Dakota Access Pipeline ( might be more now, but those are the ones I know.) They have places to donate or send supplies to the blockaders. There are also online petitions to sign and other ways to help. For international folks, sharing videos and keeping your press on it is helpful. ( I know some religious or political leader in Iran...forgot who...already has chewed out the US regarding the treatment of native peoples.) It's also important to know that non-natives along the Pipeline route are also fighting. Iowa farmers have filed suit and one poor Iowa veteran who hung his flag upside down as protest over the pipeline crossing his property and possibly messing with his well was arrested,too. The "Cowboy and Indian Alliance"  helped halt the KXL a while back. Other projects have already been derailed or changed due to citizen response.

These  underhanded tactics of the pipeline company are like cockroaches...they don't like daylight. The allies need to keep the real narrative going in response to the false one. This is pretty classic and there might be attempts to goad the defenders into escalation, but as you can see from the arrest video, the Elders/ Spiritual Leaders  are right there and are on it.  Thanks again!

@Christianlady

image.jpeg

Have they done much fracking around there? That is potential ticking time bomb in terms of water pollution.

7 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ Yes and it is a mess...especially in western North Dakota. There is concern with messing up the Oglala aquifer, etc. This has to stop.

image.jpeg

They have recently allowed in in the Uk as well, I really feel that some people are trying to destroy the world.