Which sect/branch of Islam does this describe??

Assalamu 'alaikum,

Okay so my teacher says that there is a branch in Islam that believes society should be Islamic and based on the Quran and the Sunnah, i.e. that the general ideas should be preserved but practised so that they are accustomed to today's society. The example he gave was with miswak, that in the time of the prophet (s.a.w) they used miswak, but today we have 'better' toothbrushes and can use those instead because we are still applying the general idea (which is having good hygiene), which as I understand it is an example of Qiya. I don't understand which branch of Islam he is talking about, I thought it could maybe be Ibadi but could someone with more knowledge help? It just seems very strange that he would take the example with miswak because it is not only used as a toothbrush but has it's own benefits and therefore it would be 'okay' to just swap it with a modern toothbrush. Does anyone know any sects or branches of Islam that fit into this description with the main idea being that society is based on Quran and Sunnah but accustomed to today's 'developed society'.