Salam Alaikum sisters! 

Many times during my period I experience so much pain that it's not even bearable. At first, when I experience the pain I start to feel sick and lightheaded and it feels like I'm going to faint any moment. I feel so cold all of a sudden but at the same time I'm starting to sweat a lot, even though I felt very cold. The cramps starts to get worse and trust me when I say that it really hurts like hell.

After about 10 minutes later the dizziness goes away, but the cramps get worser and worser. I noticed that the cramps only last for about half an hour (which by the way feels like a century) until the pain comes and go in waves. After almost 2 hours I feel perfectly fine, as if nothing even happened. I have cramps almost every time when I get my period but they are bearable. But this kind of period cramps comes once in a while and I really never want to experience it again. 

Do you experience the same pain? If yes I really feel for you sister, what do you do against the pain?

Edited by Snowflake

Salam, 

Sis, 

Normally, taking two tablets of Ibuprofen(advil) 400mg with water when your period starts takes care of the problem. Placing a heating pad or hot water bottle over your back or lower abdomen will also help.

If the above doesn't relieve your pain, I would suggest seeing a doctor to rule out fibroids, endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease. She might suggest oral contraceptive pills for a few months if Ibuprofen fails to relieve your pain and there is no other pathology. 

Good news, period pain (dysmenorrhea) decreases as you grow older !!! 

2 hours ago, sidnaq said:

Walaikumasalam sister im a sis too, have you consulted a doctor or physician or pharmacist? any remedies online? heh i hope others answer soon

No I haven't actually....I saw online that there are other people who experience the same pain so I'm not the only one. But I can't really find some useful answer as to how to lessen the pain

19 hours ago, starlight said:

Salam, 

Sis, 

Normally, taking two tablets of Ibuprofen(advil) 400mg with water when your period starts takes care of the problem. Placing a heating pad or hot water bottle over your back or lower abdomen will also help.

If the above doesn't relieve your pain, I would suggest seeing a doctor to rule out fibroids, endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease. She might suggest oral contraceptive pills for a few months if Ibuprofen fails to relieve your pain and there is no other pathology. 

Good news, period pain (dysmenorrhea) decreases as you grow older !!! 

Thanks for your advice sister, I'll keep this one in mind :)

One thing that can work against period pain and has worked for me successfully taking about a tablespoon full of cinnamon with hot black tea as soon as your period starts and once again as the cramps get worse. Cinnamon has a compound which helps to counter the effect of prostaglandins which constrict the blood vessels in the uterus which leads to the pain that we call cramps. In some cases, because of a lack of oxygen being delivered to the uterus, you can have a feeling of intense pain as well as the hot/cold sweats which are associated with, well, fatality.

http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/article/try-cinnamon-for-painful-periods/

I also tend to be careful of what I eat close to when my period is about to begin because if what I have eaten in the days leading up to my period are in any way going to interfere with the normal function of my period, chances are they are going to cause me cramps. So I try to stay away from certain foods that I know are going to be bad for me when I have my period. Vitamin C containing foods, especially orange juice, has an inhibitory effect for me but a lot depends on each woman's hormonal balance so what works for me might not work for you but identifying what does helps...

http://visihow.com/Use_Cinnamon_for_Menstrual_Cramps_and_Fertility#cinnamon_as_treatment_for_menstrual_cramps

Tips and Warnings

• If you want to use cinnamon to decrease your resistance to insulin, inform your doctor.

• Do not take cinnamon in very high doses because it can damage your digestive tract's mucosal lining.

• Do not take cinnamon if you are taking blood-thinning medications because cinnamon is a mild blood thinner.

• Do not use cinnamon if you have ulcers.

• Do not take cinnamon as a supplement if you are lactating or pregnant.

• Only use Ceylon cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon causes blood to coagulate if used for long periods. It can also cause kidney and liver damage. 

• Do not chew candies, gum, or mints with cinnamon because this causes inflammation and ulcers in the oral cavity down to the throat.

Warnings are always to be heeded... and all the above is not in any way medical advice! :) 

5 hours ago, QiiQii said:

One thing that can work against period pain and has worked for me successfully taking about a tablespoon full of cinnamon with hot black tea as soon as your period starts and once again as the cramps get worse. Cinnamon has a compound which helps to counter the effect of prostaglandins which constrict the blood vessels in the uterus which leads to the pain that we call cramps. In some cases, because of a lack of oxygen being delivered to the uterus, you can have a feeling of intense pain as well as the hot/cold sweats which are associated with, well, fatality.

http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/article/try-cinnamon-for-painful-periods/

I also tend to be careful of what I eat close to when my period is about to begin because if what I have eaten in the days leading up to my period are in any way going to interfere with the normal function of my period, chances are they are going to cause me cramps. So I try to stay away from certain foods that I know are going to be bad for me when I have my period. Vitamin C containing foods, especially orange juice, has an inhibitory effect for me but a lot depends on each woman's hormonal balance so what works for me might not work for you but identifying what does helps...

Never heard we should take cinnamon when we have period pains, surely I'm going to try this one out! I stay away from certain foods also like you said, for example orange juice. If I drank orange juice the day before I'm going to have my period I get some serious pains....Have you experienced the same period pains like I have? 

Thanks for the article :)

On 10/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, Snowflake said:

Salam Alaikum sisters! 

Many times during my period I experience so much pain that it's not even bearable. At first, when I experience the pain I start to feel sick and lightheaded and it feels like I'm going to faint any moment. I feel so cold all of a sudden but at the same time I'm starting to sweat a lot, even though I felt very cold. The cramps starts to get worse and trust me when I say that it really hurts like hell.

After about 10 minutes later the dizziness goes away, but the cramps get worser and worser. I noticed that the cramps only last for about half an hour (which by the way feels like a century) until the pain comes and go in waves. After almost 2 hours I feel perfectly fine, as if nothing even happened. I have cramps almost every time when I get my period but they are bearable. But this kind of period cramps comes once in a while and I really never want to experience it again. 

Do you experience the same pain? If yes I really feel for you sister, what do you do against the pain?

Salam,

damn gurl, it seems you have it really bad. I can't relate as much, but I also get really cold and a lot of back pain and muscle aches. I just take an advil. I know tea has been suggested already lol but I heard that camomile tea is really good if you get stomach aches and cramps: http://www.theteatalk.com/benefits-of-camomile-tea.html

Maybe visit your fam doctor as well.

As for getting cold, idunno what else to do except for wear fuzzy things or be in a fuzzy blanket, i know, it sucks. Goodluck!! 

11 hours ago, MaryamAfghan said:

Salam,

damn gurl, it seems you have it really bad. I can't relate as much, but I also get really cold and a lot of back pain and muscle aches. I just take an advil. I know tea has been suggested already lol but I heard that camomile tea is really good if you get stomach aches and cramps: http://www.theteatalk.com/benefits-of-camomile-tea.html

Maybe visit your fam doctor as well.

As for getting cold, idunno what else to do except for wear fuzzy things or be in a fuzzy blanket, i know, it sucks. Goodluck!! 

Salam fellow Afghan sister,

Chetori :)

I haven't taken caomile tea before, so it won't hurt to try it once. My mother usually makes tea for me mixed with honey, this helps sometimes so I think this will help ease the pain. 

Edited by Snowflake

On 10/13/2016 at 4:31 PM, Snowflake said:

Never heard we should take cinnamon when we have period pains, surely I'm going to try this one out! I stay away from certain foods also like you said, for example orange juice. If I drank orange juice the day before I'm going to have my period I get some serious pains....Have you experienced the same period pains like I have? 

Thanks for the article :)

Yes, I used to have aweful cramps in my teenages and I would not take any medications for them. People suggested all sorts of things at the time that would make you laugh if I told them to you. In any case, I had to find this out on my own and it has worked well for me eversince. Another thing that is good for your cramps is having bananas even though it doesn't work to reduce the pain, it helps with other symptoms such as bloating. If I have had a banana with my cinnamon tea when my period starts, I tend to avoid the cramps all-together given I didn't have any Vitamin C before my period began. I've actually begun losing my apetite during the first 2 days of my period and resort only to drinking hot beverages and having a little snack. Vitamin C does tend to make my period pain worse and sometimes it would stop my period from coming. Last month, I was drinking orange juice every single day and I had very little to no period at all after that. It was shocking because I had no idea, it could disrupt my period to that degree. So yea, I try to be cautious with taking Vitamin C, especially in the form of orange juice, around the time of my period.

4 hours ago, Snowflake said:

Salam fellow Afghan sister,

Chetori :)

I haven't taken caomile tea before, so it won't hurt to try it once. My mother usually makes tea for me mixed with honey, this helps sometimes so I think this will help ease the pain. 

khoob astom khahar (srry my farsi isnt the best, i think that's right lol), i havent tried it either but I just heard, I hope it works for you :~)