Reza

"You Didn't Respond to My Point"

Rate this topic

A fixture of all online discussions. How many times have you heard this? 

Two people arguing, quoting each other, addressing each other, with some points commented on and others ignored. What does this mean? That those particular points have been conceded? Or is the drive to have the last word so high that people only aim for the lowest hanging fruit, and only respond to the points that are easiest and most advantageous for the responder to address? Then the "inconvenient" points not responded to are forgotten and buried in obscurity? Or maybe they simply don't have the knowledge to counter them or the humility to accept them?

And of course when someone raises a point, then claims later the responder didn't address it properly, which the responder claims they did. Who has the final verdict?

Edited by magma

The reader has the final verdict. 

Sometimes points get missed. Sometimes people only feel strongly enough to respond about part of a post. Sometimes they just don't know. 

The person who made the point can always ask again. 

16 minutes ago, magma said:

And of course when someone raises a point, then claims later the responder didn't address it properly, which the responder claims they did. Who has the final verdict?

A lot of the time its because one poster is only reading his rivals post to find the points that he can respond to to win his point. so its X vs Y, instead of X and Y vs the point of the discussion. God knows I am guilty as hell of doing things like this when I get riled up

1 minute ago, magma said:

Maybe this is a lesson that we shouldn't make too many points at once, and have a minimalist approach, maybe one or two points max per post. That way things are less likely to be missed.

possibly. the nature of many topics is that they are connected to multiple other topics so as discussions progress, these all get dragged in. 

maybe colour code each point in the discussion? 

21 minutes ago, magma said:

Keep things short and sweet.

I doubt anyone wants to complicate debates consciously hahah. Of course, if we all had better understanding and knowledge, debates could be deeper, but I doubt they would be considerably less complicated (just more interesting to read or discuss). Debates aren't meant to be simple anyway, but to bring some benefit. I don't see complexity somethig wrong in nice useful debates.

The problem I tend to find in all debates I have in my life are mostly overly complicated debates with people who lack knowledge and are essentially stubborn and self-righteous, bringing nothing but a loss of time.

I find it easiest to take discussions one point at a time.  If someone states points A, B, C, D, and E, and you respond with points F. G. H. I and J, then usually in the mass of text points are disregarded or ignored.  Sometimes language is confused or people attack semantics.  It just becomes messy.  So if you take just one point at a time, you can build it like a ladder until the person backs down or loses the value in their argument.

The opponent has to be willing to engage though.  Sometimes they dont have the patience.