sakura1994

[LAWS]is drawing & making statue haram ?

Rate this topic

when I was child I used to draw people and make stature of them body & face , but one sheikh told me that drawing & making statures of people is haram cuz Allah in day of judgment will tell me to make them alive and if I couldn't I will go to hell ! 

since that day I stopped doing it , and now I suddenly remembered that incident and wanted to ask if it was true , that making statue of people as art is haram ! 

Edited by sakura1994

Salam, 

I think there's nothing wrong with drawing (clearly) or sculpting. So long it is not meant to be worshipped. I'm on the fence with sculpting. No one worships THE statue. People worship through statues. That's as far as my understanding goes. So anything can be chosen, there's not one statue. You might create something without intending for someone to worship anything through it, but it might still happen. Not so much in the west though... I guess it depends? Check with your marji3 :)

1 hour ago, yusur317 said:

Salam, 

I think there's nothing wrong with drawing (clearly) or sculpting. So long it is not meant to be worshipped. I'm on the fence with sculpting. No one worships THE statue. People worship through statues. That's as far as my understanding goes. So anything can be chosen, there's not one statue. You might create something without intending for someone to worship anything through it, but it might still happen. Not so much in the west though... I guess it depends? Check with your marji3 :)

I don't have marji3 !

Edited by sakura1994

1 hour ago, sakura1994 said:

when I was child I used to draw people and make stature of them body & face , but one sheikh told me that drawing & making statures of people is haram cuz Allah in day of judgment will tell me to make them alive and if I couldn't I will go to hell ! 

since that day I stopped doing it , and now I suddenly remembered that incident and wanted to ask if it was true , that making statue of people as art is haram ! 

i have heard what the sheikh has said but in sunni sources, for shias i dont know about statues tho

The rulings on sculpture need to be considered with respect to time and place.  Perhaps the reason for its prohibition is because during the early days of Islam, people made statues for idol worship.  I don't see why sculpting would be haraam on its own if it's not intended for idoltary.

For me, unless it is a for-a-textbook-drawing or an instructional figurine (like a heart or lung) it is haram.

There is a hadith which says that Rasulallah-saws wore a robe with a picture of a saddle on the back. A saddle is something manmade for use.

Edited by hasanhh
hadith

14 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

How ? where do I find one ? I live in non shia country and their no shia masjids near me !

Np dear! just describe your situation! we've nice brothers and sisters who can help you.

Edited by Haimi