HumanForLife

If you lose your memories, are you still the same?

Rate this topic

I believe that what identifies a person is his mind. How he thinks, what he thinks, what he believes in, how he lives his life, it’s all in the brain.

All the above comes from experience whether it’s real life experience or something you read in a book or heard it from a friend or from any other source. Your identity is formed accordingly.

As Soren Kierkegaard said: Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

So basically you are your memories and if your memories are lost, then consequently, you’re no longer you.

2 hours ago, HumanForLife said:

I believe that what identifies a person is his mind. How he thinks, what he thinks, what he believes in, how he lives his life, it’s all in the brain.

All the above comes from experience whether it’s real life experience or something you read in a book or heard it from a friend or from any other source. Your identity is formed accordingly.

As Soren Kierkegaard said: Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

So basically you are your memories and if your memories are lost, then consequently, you’re no longer you.

The cure is remembering Allah SWT.

I'm gonna let you know when I'm losing it:p

But anyway the soul rank is higher than our minds in that matter. That's why when you lose a part of your body like arms, you don't feel your fingers anymore.

Try to read Shahid Mutahhari book named: جهان بینی و ایدئولوژی

Worldview and ideology.

Edited by Haimi

5 hours ago, HumanForLife said:

When you die, your brain dies, yet, your soul lives on. It will still have full memories of your past, with full capability to think. So, what defines the mind? certainly not the brain. 

3 hours ago, Shiawarrior313 said:

When you die, your brain dies, yet, your soul lives on. It will still have full memories of your past, with full capability to think. So, what defines the mind? certainly not the brain. 

assalam.

We've Two Aghl عقل hdk our religion, quran and hadith, the one thats in our head, the other one many called them Nafs نفس

but some believe that Aghl عقل is bigger and greater than our Nafs and Brain or mind. and they call it Soul, روح

the thing that even after living for 100 years you can recognize yourself and still you say: It's me. even when you've beard, white hair different weight height skin etc.

wassalam.

I think you still same person even if you lost your memorizes . . see this . 

somehow even if you lost all your memorizes their is still thing that inside your heart that doesn't disappear and it stay with you and that thing is the real you therefore you don't loss yourself and still be you .

10 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

somehow even if you lost all your memorizes their is still thing that inside your heart that doesn't disappear and it stay with you and that thing is the real you therefore you don't loss yourself and still be you .

that's not in our heart. it's in our soul our Rooh.

On 5/9/2016 at 4:56 PM, sakura1994 said:

I don't think its possible if you lose your memory.

If our past memory get wiped out, what left is our fitrah including in-born thought process and instinct.

So you are still you but without influence of your experience that are acquired.

But if your ability to use short-term memory is also damaged, then you can not even process thinking because you forget immediately what you were trying to think about.