HumanForLife

Are we biologically programmed to die ?

There doesn’t seem to be any reason why humans shouldn’t be able to stay biologically 25 indefinitely. But that doesn’t happen for us or most other organisms. That said, some organisms live far longer than others, so there’s clearly something biological going on.

When we figure out what allows some organisms to live hundreds (or even thousands) of years, and others to live only a very short time, do you think we’ll have a definitive answer.

16 minutes ago, HumanForLife said:

There doesn’t seem to be any reason why humans shouldn’t be able to stay biologically 25 indefinitely. But that doesn’t happen for us or most other organisms. That said, some organisms live far longer than others, so there’s clearly something biological going on.

When we figure out what allows some organisms to live hundreds (or even thousands) of years, and others to live only a very short time, do you think we’ll have a definitive answer.

One can say that on the basis of processes like apoptosis & aging. And being living systems you also have to keep law of entropy in mind too.

Edited by Spiritual

4 minutes ago, Shian e Ali said:

No, we aren't. Our bodies are designed to corrode & become useless like so many other things. Once they do, the souls leaves the bodies.

Brother, it is better to use age instead of corrode. Corrosion is a different thing.

When breathing, your mitochondria utilise Oxygen for energy, this in turn is turned into a free radical, the free radical is toxic towards the mitochondria and overtime slowly take a hit from utilising oxygen. This is one biological factor that can lead to death.

Another is the shortening of telomeres in DNA, basically the longer you live on, the more your cells replicate and the shorter your DNA gets, so the more likely your body is to make mistakes hence the more deformed cells you have and over the years will lead to organs loosing function.

Theres tons of more reasons as to why the body is programmed to die which I could explain more if interested but I guess in conclusion, yes we most certainly are.

2 hours ago, notme said:

Our bodies need oxygen to live, and oxygen kills us. No living being in this world is meant to last forever.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Not me.

There is a quote from Imam Ali 3la salam, he says every breath we take is closer to death. After reading what you said now I understand Amir al mo2mineen's quote.  Please explain how oxygen kills us.

Thank you.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

2 hours ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Not me.

There is a quote from Imam Ali 3la salam, he says every breath we take is closer to death.  After reading what you said now I understand Amir al mo2mineen's quote.  Please explain how oxygen kills us.

Thank you.

Evidence suggests that pumping in too much oxygen too quickly can strip the molecule of a single electron, creating a free radical. Free radicals, linked to rapid aging, are highly reactive with other molecules, including vital DNA and proteins, the destruction of which can damage or kill cells.

45 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Please explain how oxygen kills us.

I'm not a biologist or a chemist, so I can't explain the details, but essentially, we rust. Oxygen is highly reactive and causes our cells to break down over time. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Notme and Brother Spiritual,

Thank you for the explanation.  Sub7an'Allah it is always fascinating how our body works.  There are many things scientists have discovered but there is so much more we still don't know.