CLynn

Quotes [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

There may already be a thread with this title, but I can't find it since the search feature does not work properly. :(

So I started a new one.

“Be humbled, walk softly, down with your topsail, it is a low entry to go in at heavens gate.”

from a sermon I was listening to on the radio this morning all about arrogance.

I Googled it.  Here is the full original quote:

“Be humbled; walk softly. Down, down, for God’s sake, my dear and worthy brother, with your topsail. Stoop, stoop! it is a low entry to go in at heaven’s gate.” Samuel Rutherford

(bismillah)

(salam)

Genesis 3:19 - By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food till you return unto the ground; for out of it were you taken: for dust you are, and unto dust shall you return."

SubhanAllah. Sometimes when I read the Bible, I can see that the same God that wrote the Quran wrote it. You can just feel  in your heart that the books of God were written by the same author.

This is the symbolism of us praying on dust (Earth tablets) as you can see here:

ayatullah-prayering-near-grave1.jpg

The tablet that is in front of him is what we prostrate on. It is made of compacted Earth. When we rise from prostration the first time, it symbolises our creation and emergence from the Earth (just as the Bible stated above), then, the short few seconds that we are in a sitting position between the two prostrations that are present in a prayer, we say "Astaghfirullah ha rabbi wa a'tuubu ilayh" meaning "I seek forgiveness from my lord and I am repentant towards him". This symbolises our lives, the sole purpose of which is to repent unto God and ask for his forgiveness. It also shows how short life is.

Our Prophet (pbuh) was asked once, "what is life?" and he replied "the distance between two prostrations".

Then, we go down into the second prostration after the repentance which symbolised our lives. This portion represents our death and how we will return to this Earth and become dust once again, just as we were given rise through it.

Then, rising from this prostration symbolises our final rise on the Day of Judgement, when we will be brought back to life to be judged once again, but we don't go back into prostration after this. We stand up instead. This shows how the afterlife is eternal  and how we never die when we are present in it, while this life only lasts the few seconds between the two prostrations.

I thought it was interesting to see the parallel. Thanks for sharing your quote about arrogance as well. It is a good reminder.

Some more quotes about arrogance:

"Do not walk proudly on the land, as your feet cannot tear apart the earth nor are you as tall as the mountains." Quran 17:37.

"Oh man, you come from a drop of semen and you leave as a piece of dust. You don't know when you came and you don't know when you're leaving. Yet you go around thinking you know everything." Imam Ali (as) .

(wasalam)

Edited by BuggyLemon

“Oh My Lord! grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

خداوندا به من آرامشی عطا کن که بپذیرم آنچه نمی‌توانم تغییر دهم و جراتی که تغییر دهم آنچه را که می‌توانم و علمی که تفاوت این دو را دریابم”
Ali Shariati

The Serenity Prayer  :)

is the common name for an originally untitled prayer by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr(1892–1971). It has been adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous and other twelve-step programs.

The best-known form is:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer#Precursors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Shariati

Edited by CLynn

"You can't kill intellectual power." 

- Lieutenant General Frank Kearney* talking about the American government's threats to bomb Iran, explaining that it would only delay the Iranian nation's technological progress, not stop it. 

*former deputy director at the National Counter terrorism Center and former deputy commander of U.S. Special Operations Command.

He said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet.

And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive

And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.

And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive."

- Jesus Christ (A.S)

He said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet.

And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive

And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.

And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive."

- Jesus Christ (A.S)

Greetings Sayed...,

Is this written in the qur'an?

Salaam.

Never mind.  I just looked it up. :)

Edited by CLynn

"By selecting only isolated bits of information, you can generally prove whatever you want; you can even turn the Bible against God." (Marshal Zhukov)

Edited by baradar_jackson

"Pirates are evil!!? The Marines are righteous!!? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history...!!! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values!!! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground!!! Justice will prevail, you say!? But of course it will!!! Whoever wins this war...becomes justice!!!"

--Donquixote Doflamingo

Edited by magma

"Pirates are evil!!? The Marines are righteous!!? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history...!!! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values!!! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground!!! Justice will prevail, you say!? But of course it will!!! Whoever wins this war...becomes justice!!!"

--Donquixote Doflamingo

Beautiful.

(salam)

"We're all afraid, for our confidence, for our future, for the World. That's the nature of the Human Imagination.

Yet, every man, every civilization has gone forward because of its engagement with what it has set itself to do.

The personal commitment of a Man to his skill, the intellectual commitment and the emotional commitment -working together as one-  has made the Ascent of Man."

Jacob Bronowski (1974)

"I do not deny the importance of religious, national and other affiliations. I do not question the often decisive influence of our vertical (ancestral) heritage. But it is necessary at this point in time to draw attention to the gulf that exists between what we are and what we think we are"

__Amin Maalouf

Edited by Marbles

"Don't talk like you're one of them! You're not... even if you'd like to be. To them you're just a freak, like me. They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, their morals, their "code"... it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these uh, these "civilized people," they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve. " - Heath Ledger (as the Joker)

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they rarely use.” 

- Søren Kierkegaard

“The earthly minded person thinks and imagines that when he prays, the important thing, the thing he must concentrate upon, is that God should hear what he is praying for. And yet in the true, eternal sense it is just the reverse: the true relation in prayer is not when God hears what is prayed for, but when the person praying continues to pray until he is the one who hears, who hears what God is asking for.”
- Søren Kierkegaard

“Prayer does not change God, it changes the one who offers it.”

- Søren Kierkegaard

I really like his qoutes, I hope if I ever graduate from nonsense uni I'll have time to look into his works. 

Edited by Pinata

(bismillah)

(salam)

ألا وإنّ الدعي ابن الدعي قد تركني بين السلة والذلة و هيهات منا الذلة

(wasalam)

Greetings Jebreil,

I don't understand that one.

and I don't mean because of the language... I mean because of the translation.

What does it say to you?

A'salaam.

They've sounded out the last 'all clear'
and told us
those who made it here,
that very soon we'll hold once more those things that we held dear,
yet nothing's clear to me.
I gaze from darkness to a summer haze,
and though they part,
the clouds of war lead only to uncertain days. -Julian Ovenden- Foyle's War