Asalaam 'alaikum.

My name is Nūh and I'm a revert living in Richmond, Virginia. I was wondering if there were any other brothers living here. If so, inn sha Allah we could meet up. I don't know any other Muslims in my area, so it's good to keep links and ties with one another just in case we need each other.

35 minutes ago, Nūh said:

Asalaam 'alaikum.

My name is Nūh and I'm a revert living in Richmond, Virginia. I was wondering if there were any other brothers living here. If so, inn sha Allah we could meet up. I don't know any other Muslims in my area, so it's good to keep links and ties with one another just in case we need each other.

Welcome to ShiaChat, brother Nuh, nice to see you on here! :grin:

A few years ago there was this same question. There is a center, but when I lived in Richmond I never went, so I can't say anything about it.

Jerusalem Market and Deli on Hull St Rd has all halal products, and is a good clean store with reasonable prices and lots of selection, or at least it was good a few years ago when I lived there.

I'll see if I can find the previous discussion.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

• What kind of Internet restrictions exist in Iran? Do they have a "great firewall" like China?
    • By the way, do you have any good experience (I don't mean you took a certain module or class in medical school on behavioral health but then became a professional in an unrelated field like cardiology or something like that) or are involved in the behavioral health field? If so then I don't need to lecture you on the fact  that cases like abuse or forcing a certain lifestyle on someone (ironically sometimes there is consent from the other party on the new lifestyle being pushed on them) are not things that spontaneously occur and often times have complex psychological variables behind them.   Your anecdotes may suggest otherwise, but I know of anecdotes where on the surface it appeared that the man was "forcing" his wife to become a housewife and abandon her career. Since from the perspective of some but not all feminist Muslim women they cannot believe that a woman is willing to give up on a career and become a housewife, so they resort to calling the hubby oppressive and insist he is forcing something on his wife. But in the cases I know of if you look more closely without any bias it was evident that there was a decent amount of willing consent on the wife's part and the "force" element was not really there and at most the hubby acted "suggestive" but the whole decision to abandon her career was largely the wife's decision regardless.    And heck even sometimes just as how a husband might backbite his wife to his community and friends to gain their sympathies due to him being sick of his wife, sometimes the same thing can occur in reverse if the wife feels she will gain some genuine sympathy.   Even if a person is your best friend and you visit her house every weekend there are things that you don't know and may not ever know about her marital relationship and that knowing these things may change the picture completely. So I would advise to not rush to hasty conclusions. That is not to say that there are not genuine cases of abuse and force in marital relationships, but that there is no greater epidemic of it due to complexities in relationships. Again, if you are involved or have good experience in the field of behavioral health then I don't think I need to tell you this. 
    • That's exactly the point, I explicitly typed above the concept of a miracle: An extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency. Yes, they have been documented by historical excavations, well, some. Are you referring here to the primitive senses? Most of the records of the ancient world, used to think that earth was a flat piece of land/disk. Today this contradicts many laws (e.g Gravity). https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/earth_from_the_iss.jpg?itok=mDRiVgnr Even refraction of light wasn't known much, other than seeing it, it was not known as a physical concept when light refracts from a plane. Snell's law for example was not perceived by the senses, rather Mathematics through an equation which was: (index of refraction1)*(Sin[theta]1)= (index of refraction2)*(sin[theta]2). Was this through primitive senses? I don't think so. Even the rotation of the Sun, it clearly was never thought it moved, rather that Earth rotates (after the discovery) around Sun ONLY. Solar/Lunar Eclipse defined this. Even the fact that their planetary orbits are not perceived by the senses.  Senses are limited.
    • Yes good! When Dawkin will be sent to Hell, he will feel that someone is playing Hallucination on him. Very good. I want to see him passing these theories there. "Deaf, dumb, and blind,
      They will not return (to the path)." Quran (2:18)
    • Tafakkur is a deed. Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 190:
      إِنَّ فِي خَلْقِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ لَآيَاتٍ لِّأُولِي الْأَلْبَابِ Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day there are signs for men who understand.
      (English - Shakir) Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 191:
      الَّذِينَ يَذْكُرُونَ اللَّهَ قِيَامًا وَقُعُودًا وَعَلَىٰ جُنُوبِهِمْ وَيَتَفَكَّرُونَ فِي خَلْقِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ رَبَّنَا مَا خَلَقْتَ هَٰذَا بَاطِلًا سُبْحَانَكَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ Those who remember Allah standing and sitting and lying on their sides and reflect on the creation of the heavens and the earth: Our Lord! Thou hast not created this in vain! Glory be to Thee; save us then from the chastisement of the fire:
      (English - Shakir) You can see brother, dhikr & tafakkur are deeds. Salat (prayer) is also a form of dhikr, Quran is dhikr. Surah Taha, Verse 14:
      إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي Surely I am Allah, there is no god but I, therefore serve Me and keep up prayer for My remembrance:
      (English - Shakir)