DownToEarth

Planning to move back to Iraq, need help.

Hello! My family is planning to move back to Iraq after 20 years in Sweden and I have accepted that. My only problem is that I don't know how the education system for Iraq's high school work and how many subjects they have and what kind of subjects. Also, is the education good there?

Every answer is much appreciated. :) 

Well, it may not be a bad idea to stay in sweden until you finish your education if there is enough money to be able to do that. To be honest, though, would you really want to leave Sweden for Iraq? I mean, you don't necessarily have to go with your family, do you? You can go on vacation, and stay in Sweden to finish your studies and then get a job to live by yourself.

12 hours ago, Ali-F said:

Salaam

I think it's better to ask a relative from your family.

However, I think we can agree that the education in Sweden (high school) is way better than Iraq. No doubt about that at all. 

And we can all also agree on that morally Sweden is a catastrophe. No doubt about that at all. 

I think your family is making the best choice they can possibly make with regards to your deen and spirituality and possibility of being good muslims, for you, for them and for your future children. 

And btw, Swedish schools are not as good as you think and the students are even one of the worst performers in mathematics in Europe and still declining in ranking and they are lazy and spoiled as well.

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

And we can all also agree on that morally Sweden is a catastrophe. No doubt about that at all. 

I think your family is making the best choice they can possibly make with regards to your deen and spirituality and possibility of being good muslims, for you, for them and for your future children. 

And btw, Swedish schools are not as good as you think and the students are even one of the worst performers in mathematics in Europe and still declining in ranking and they are lazy and spoiled as well.

So you are saying that just because you live in Sweden (or a Western country) that makes you less spiritual? 

I however, agree that Sweden does indeed have different cultural norms which are against the Islamic belief e.g. handshaking etc. but there are different methods to prevent this as a Muslim, I am sure we agree here.

All countries have their pros and cons, but when you come to evaluate living there, things change. That means evaluating your profession in that country, your job conditions, the legal and executive structure of the country, and, among others: peace.

Yes, you can do ziyaraat, and be in touch with a more religious environment, but Iraq is full of everything else that is usually labeled as morally corrupt as well (especially Baghdad). In the end, it depends on each individual and his will to improve himself.

But finally, who cares about whats better or not strictly speaking? OP probably has his own criteria, and know what fits him better. I just felt that he wasn't 100% comfortable or willing to go to live in Iraq, and I think his opinion and feelings count a lot on such a decision.

3 hours ago, Ali-F said:

So you are saying that just because you live in Sweden (or a Western country) that makes you less spiritual? 

I however, agree that Sweden does indeed have different cultural norms which are against the Islamic belief e.g. handshaking etc. but there are different methods to prevent this as a Muslim, I am sure we agree here.

Yes, believe it or not living among people that openly and without any shame at all sin all around you will affect you negatively in terms of spirituality.

If hope you do not think handshaking is the worst "cultural difference" in Sweden that goes against Islamic belief. And you are right there are different methods to prevent this as a Muslim, the best one is not to live there.

At the end of the day it is easier to be a good Muslim in a islamic country than it is to be one in a non islamic country.

And I would never, never, never suggest OP to separate from her family and stay alone in Sweden to study or to do what ever, we are most vulnerable when we are alone, especially for a young muslim woman living in an extremely morally corrupt country that has already claimed many close to me, family members included. Think a little before you advise someone something like this and that you might put ideas in their heads that are not thoroughly thought thru.

@DownToEarth

Listen, if your goal is to acquire the wealth of this world, by all means stay alone in a country that hates you, get your education and get you 8 to 5 job, buy stuff at IKEA, get a huge loan for your apartment and then live your standard Svensson life until you get old and cant work anymore.

But if your goal is to become the best possible Muslim that you can be and if you goal is the eternal paradise, then go to a place where you think you would acquire this easier, in the most effective way possible. And as a bonus you will iA be able to contribute to the reconstruction of Iraq, your home country, in whatever way you can.

Education is important and when you get to Iraq, think about what professions a developing country coming out of chaos, reconstructing itself might be in big need of and make a smart choice. You are already at advantage because you speak arabis and english with out problems and you are "internationally experienced". You knowledge of the english language could be of great use.

Anyways, I have traveled and lived in many corners of earth and all I can say is that every place is different and if you have the luxury to chose, then chose a place that will make it easy for you to practice your religion and that is at least not as openly morally corrupted as other places, prioritize you religion and soul before all ells and inshaAllah you will be successful And remember, men do not give anything nor do they take anything, jobs and education included. Allah(SWT) gives and Allah(SWT) takes.

Fi amanillah.

11 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Yes, believe it or not living among people that openly and without any shame at all sin all around you will affect you negatively in terms of spirituality.

I live in Denmark. A country close to Sweden, and what you're saying is partially true: living amongst mufsadeen (sinners) can affect you, indeed, but this doesn't mean that living in a Muslim country makes you a better person. In fact a Muslim living in a Muslim country can be a less believer than a Muslim in the West.

I know a person (when I was in Iraq) who said to me that he decides to pray qadah of fajr even though he can pray it at time (I tried to wake up).

There are many believers in the West. 

Just now, Ali-F said:

I live in Denmark. A country close to Sweden, and what you're saying is partially true: living amongst mufsadeen (sinners) can affect you, indeed, but this doesn't mean that living in a Muslim country makes you a better person. In fact a Muslim living in a Muslim country can be a less believer than a Muslim in the West.

I know a person (when I was in Iraq) who said to me that he decides to pray qadah of fajr even though he can pray it at time (I tried to wake up).

There are many believers in the West. 

Yes I know you live in Denmark, I remember it.

I know there are bad muslims in muslim countries as well, but I am not talking about them. I am talking about you and me on a individual level and what possibilities we have. For example, some very simple things: you can hear the adhan, its harder not to pray on time when you hear the adhan outside your window and your not really doing anything.

For example, if you want halal food, you dont have to worry about that.

For example, if you want good company, you will find it much easier, good friends, you will find it much easier.

For example, think about all those times in your school when you ended up in questionable situation that was hard to deal with as a muslim, would those situations happen if you lived in a muslim country? (sitting next to you beer drinking class mates on a school trip, mixed gender dancing at school, etc)

The possibility of you being a better muslim is better in a muslim country than it is in a non muslim country and the rest is up to you.

48 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Yes I know you live in Denmark, I remember it.

I know there are bad muslims in muslim countries as well, but I am not talking about them. I am talking about you and me on a individual level and what possibilities we have. For example, some very simple things: you can hear the adhan, its harder not to pray on time when you hear the adhan outside your window and your not really doing anything.

For example, if you want halal food, you dont have to worry about that.

For example, if you want good company, you will find it much easier, good friends, you will find it much easier.

For example, think about all those times in your school when you ended up in questionable situation that was hard to deal with as a muslim, would those situations happen if you lived in a muslim country? (sitting next to you beer drinking class mates on a school trip, mixed gender dancing at school, etc)

The possibility of you being a better muslim is better in a muslim country than it is in a non muslim country and the rest is up to you.

I agree with you. The different situations in school (and I still have 1 year left, so I still have some questionable situations lol.

However, the reason is that I'm in a non-Muslim school, but I could (if I lived in a city near) study in a Muslim school, where these things wouldn't happen.

:salam: 

Hello everyone! 

Sorry for not replying back to the comments! 

We did travel back to Iraq in August, though we moved back to Sweden in October, things were not going our way! My mother was worried of the thought of me and my siblings walking our way to school. We planned that our father would drive us there everyday but that did not work. Nevertheless, the schools in Iraq start very late after summer vacation, sometime in September. That's also a reason why we moved back.

However, the intention to even consider moving back to Iraq was because of my oldest brother deviating away.....deviating away from light to darkness... I didn't realize it until he told me it, I got shocked. My mother got to know about it too, we had debates after debates with him, but to no avail. He gains his knowledge about Islam from websites that's against Islam, I told him he must know both sides, from sources that is for, but all of that in vain too. He said you don't have to.

Well right now, my parents only wait for my graduation from high school, then off we go, back to Iraq. I don't wan't to take the risk of losing my younger siblings too.  

On 2017-04-16 at 1:22 AM, DownToEarth said:

:salam: 

Hello everyone! 

Sorry for not replying back to the comments! 

We did travel back to Iraq in August, though we moved back to Sweden in October, things were not going our way! My mother was worried of the thought of me and my siblings walking our way to school. We planned that our father would drive us there everyday but that did not work. Nevertheless, the schools in Iraq start very late after summer vacation, sometime in September. That's also a reason why we moved back.

However, the intention to even consider moving back to Iraq was because of my oldest brother deviating away.....deviating away from light to darkness... I didn't realize it until he told me it, I got shocked. My mother got to know about it too, we had debates after debates with him, but to no avail. He gains his knowledge about Islam from websites that's against Islam, I told him he must know both sides, from sources that is for, but all of that in vain too. He said you don't have to.

Well right now, my parents only wait for my graduation from high school, then off we go, back to Iraq. I don't wan't to take the risk of losing my younger siblings too.  

Ws,

I am sorry to hear about you brother. InshaAllah things will get better, I will make duas for you and your family iA.

I think its the right option, to move back considering what your saying and concerns for the younger generation. To only way you can live in a country like Sweden with children is if you have the time to watch them 100% that means having full overview of what they are putting into their minds, such as TV, popular culture, friends they are with, things they teach at school, things they eat, etc, etc. It is like raising a kid but 10 times harder since society is against you.

Will your brother stay in Sweden when you guys return? If you want to and if he wants to, I could speak to him over phone or meet him, if he wants to put his ideas and arguments to the test.

If I were him, and I was considering denying the existence of God, then I would for sure want to debate it and be convinced of it, thru superior arguments and reflection, before I made up my mind. It is not a small decision to take.

Also, if you do end up returning to Iraq, think about what I said before, there are a lot of business opportunities in Iraq right now, a lot of services that are lacking that can be filled easily, just see what popular services are here in Europe and then copy the concept and apply it.

For example, in Sweden we have this service where you order your groceries online and they come to your house with it. One of my mothers friends has a daughter who applied this concept in New Zeeland, there was no such things there, now they are millionaires and her mother does not work anymore.

Maybe you can find a business gap in Iraq and fill it, while employing widows of war or divorces in need as your employees? Baby care service maybe? Elderly care? Mobile wifi sharing cars?

As a country develops so does the needs of the people, or at least what the people considers to be their needs.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:36 AM, IbnSina said:

Ws,

I am sorry to hear about you brother. InshaAllah things will get better, I will make duas for you and your family iA.

I think its the right option, to move back considering what your saying and concerns for the younger generation. To only way you can live in a country like Sweden with children is if you have the time to watch them 100% that means having full overview of what they are putting into their minds, such as TV, popular culture, friends they are with, things they teach at school, things they eat, etc, etc. It is like raising a kid but 10 times harder since society is against you.

Will your brother stay in Sweden when you guys return? If you want to and if he wants to, I could speak to him over phone or meet him, if he wants to put his ideas and arguments to the test.

If I were him, and I was considering denying the existence of God, then I would for sure want to debate it and be convinced of it, thru superior arguments and reflection, before I made up my mind. It is not a small decision to take.

Also, if you do end up returning to Iraq, think about what I said before, there are a lot of business opportunities in Iraq right now, a lot of services that are lacking that can be filled easily, just see what popular services are here in Europe and then copy the concept and apply it.

For example, in Sweden we have this service where you order your groceries online and they come to your house with it. One of my mothers friends has a daughter who applied this concept in New Zeeland, there was no such things there, now they are millionaires and her mother does not work anymore.

Maybe you can find a business gap in Iraq and fill it, while employing widows of war or divorces in need as your employees? Baby care service maybe? Elderly care? Mobile wifi sharing cars?

As a country develops so does the needs of the people, or at least what the people considers to be their needs.

JazakAllah khayr

Yes he will stay in Sweden, though my mother is worried whether or not she could cope with being parted from him, however it may go, she still has hope that he's going to come back to his family sooner or later, when we return back to Iraq.  

I definitely want someone to talk to him, so yes I want to, though I don't know If he wants to. He's not an outgoing person that likes to talk with people, I mean the last time he stepped out from the house was about two months ago.  Though I think he sure likes to have a debate, but maybe through social media instead. I'll have to think about it more.

Thank you for the tip, I thought about that too, filling business gap, helping poor people and so on. However, I've always thought of conveying the message of Islam through making an animated movie or series, or maybe only through art with pictures.

Nevertheless, Thank you for taking your time to reply back.