ChattingwithShias

Mullah Majlisi Passage Against Sufism

Exert from Chapter 13 of Ain al-Hayat :

Shi’a scholars have always condemned the Sufi cult. Some have even written treatises on the condemnation of these sects. For example, ‘Ali bin Babawiyah, whose letters on the matters of Shariah used to reach Saheb al Asr (a.j.) and he used to receive prompt replies too. Also his son, Muhammad bin ‘Ali bin Babawiyah, who is the doyen of Shi’a traditionists, has received the commendation of Saheb-ul-Asr (a.j.). He has written a voluminous book reproving the Sufi cult.

Sheik Toosi, Mulla Hilli and Sheik Shaheed too have written tomes in condemnation of the cult. Sheik ‘Ali has written a book, Mataan Mujramiah, condemning the Sufi cult. His son Hasan too wrote his book, Umdat al Miqaal, on the same subject. Jaffar bin Muhammad Dooresti in his book, Aeteqaad, has convincingly dealt with the Sufi cult. Bin Hamza and Sayed Murtada Raazi too have written extensively on the subject. Maulana Ahmed Ardbeel has condemned the sect very convincingly in his writings.

Friends! Why do you rate this sect well despite the Prophet (S) and the Ahl-ul-Bayt having condemned them in very clear terms? Will you claim that you are a follower of Hasan Basri? He was a person who has been the butt of many an authentic tradition! Or you will term yourself the follower of Sufian Suri who was a mortal enemy of Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (as)? Or will you toe the line of Ghazali who was an outright Naasibi? He writes in his book that the way in which ‘Ali Murtada (as) is an Imam, he too is one in his own right! He writes that whoever curses Yazid is a sinner. He has written several books against the Shi’as in the genre of ‘Al Mutaqaddameen az Zalaal. Or will you project his brother, Ahmed Ghazali, as proof that he believes the accursed Satan is amongst the chiefs of the pious (the aulia)! Or will you adopt Maulana Rumi as your intercessor that he says Amir’ul-Mu’mineen (as) will intercede on behalf of the accursed Ibn al-Muljim and guide him into the Heaven? He says that Bin Muljim has not committed any sin and that what he had done was the destiny!

There is no page of the Mathnavi of Maulana Rumi on which he has not written about the futility of prayer and the depraved beliefs. His followers believe that hearing tambourine, harmonica and fiddle is a type of prayer.

Will you make Mohiuddin Arabi your symbol who has given pride of place to meaningless beliefs in his book? He says that the saints (Aulia) are a group of people to whom the Rafizis look like pigs. He also says that when he went for the Meraj he found that the status of ‘Ali (as) on the Firmament was lesser than that of Othman, Omer and Abu Bakr! He says that when he came back, he told to ‘Ali (as) that he claimed in the world that he was better than the other three then how is it that his status in the Firmament was lesser than the three of them!

There are several other such canards, writing about them will unnecessarily lengthen the narrative. Therefore, one should not be misled by their talk. What all they have done is to get worldly benefits. These people claimed that they visit the Firmament ten times in a night but are incapable of throwing light on simple questions of fiqh!

It is narrated from Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (as) that the sign of an imposter is that he will give you news about the firmament, the east and the west lucidly. But when asked about the legitimate (Halal) and taboo (Haram) he will draw a blank! He claims that he has understood the intricacies of Wahdat al Wajood (the Unity of God) that other erudite scholars have not been able to! But he has not understood a simple fact that has been explained to him umpteen times. These people say that kashf (manifestation) and kufr (infidelity) are not antithetical and can be always clubbed together! They believe that there have been practitioners of Kashf amongst the non-believers in India. Suppose their kashf is a reality and not a hypocrisy, then what superiority they have achieved by adopting it! They have remained infidels and shall be infidels till the Day of Reckoning!

It is written in the Ehtejaaj of Tabrisi that once Amir’ul-Mu’mineen (as) passed through the place of Hasan Basri. The person was performing the ablution. Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (as) said, “O Hasan! Do the ablution properly!” He said, “Ya Ameer al Mimineen! Yesterday you have killed the persons who used to do the ablution thoroughly! Today you are asking me to do the ablution properly!” The Imam asked him, “Why didn’t you turn up to help them?” He replied, “By Allah! In the morning I took bath. Rubbed camphor on my body and took my arms that I hadn’t the slightest doubt about opposition to Ayesha is infidelity.

On the way I heard a sound saying,’ Where are you going! Return back! Those who kill and get killed will all go to the Hell!’ I was scared of that herald and returned home. The next day again I got ready to go to the help of Ayesha. I again heard the same voice and returned home!” The Imam (as) said, “You are telling the truth! Do you know who the person was who called you?” Hasan said, “No! I don’t know!” The Imam (as) said, “He was your brother, the Satan! He has told you the truth that those who kill and also those who get killed from the troops of Ayesha will go to the Hell!”

In another tradition it is narrated from Amir’ul-Mu’mineen Amir’ul-Mu’mineen that he said to Hasan Basri, “Every time there is a Samiri (magician) and you are the Samiri of your time!”

Imam Muhammad Al-Baqir (as) has said: O Hasan Basri! Whether you go the East or to the West, you will not acquire any knowledge! The only source of knowledge are we the Ahl-ul-Bayt! “Remember, this Hasan Basri is the same person who is the chief of the Sufis. The Sufis associate themselves with him very ardently. They mostly quote from him. They narrate that one big sheik was Ibad Basri. He used to ridicule Imam Zain-ul-’Abidin (as) and used to criticize him in the matter of Jehad.

https://www.al-islam.org/ain-al-hayat-essence-life-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi

17 minutes ago, ChattingwithShias said:

I am neither supporting nor negating this, just posting as historical information

As those quotes show, the Prophet SA and Imams AS warned us against evil people who can start a movement or infiltrate an organization. Not everyone who calls himself a Sufi is a Sufi, not everyone who calls himself a Muslim is a Muslim, not everyone who calls himself a Shia is a Shia. It is by their actions that they will be known. May Allah SWT bless us to stay on the right path of Ahlul Bayt AS.  

Before anyone can say anything about Sunni, Sufi, Shia', they all must first be defined.   I can't really respond or contribute to this topic unless I know what definition this fits under.  Otherwise this conversation will go nowhere.  Everyone should be given a chance to clear preconceived notions/misconceptions.

I learned myself I can't really believe what anyone says about someone else until I've met/studied them.   To most dismissive Sunni's, they have a completely backwards idea of what Shii' are and what they believe in.  Unfortunately, I can say the same of both Sunni's, Shia's, and even Sufi's of what they think their definition of Sufism is. 

Most especially since Sufism in of itself is not academically defined as a sect of Islam in its intended definition.

Everybody seems to need some kind of label to dissociate and separate themselves from another for whatever purposes they justify/invoke.  @ChattingwithShias

I don't know what you know about Sufism, but it's literal definition is the internalization of inner dimensions/mysical columns of Islam.  If you're referring to specific Sufi orders, then you'd be better to perhaps name them which you think are a cult.   Many of Sufi adherents and followers were converts from the remaining descendants of the 'Ali Ibn Talib AS bloodline.  All but one of the orders trace the lineage of knowledge to him.   They call themselves under one umbrella term, "Sufis", but each have a drastically different interpretation of the knowledge that's been given to them, most of which has combined Sunni and Shia' elements.

No, not all of them rely on Islamic authority through dreams and such.

Some of which have, what both Shia' and Sunni's would consider shirk like rituals/behaviors, but there are good many that do not. and instead follow Jafariah or one of the four Sunni schools of thought.

Edited by wmehar2

Lol I didn't write this, this is written by Allamah Majlisi who is considered one of the great scholars of 12er history. See my second post where I stated this isn't my opinion (I don't really have one about Sufism yet, if anything I have a positive view of them) I am just sharing as historical info. Some people like Majlisi but they also like some modern ulema who were into Ibn Arabi and Rumi and the like.

Edited by ChattingwithShias

It has been reported that our pure Infallibles (peace be upon them) condemned the one who adopts the philosophers and Sufi’s path. When Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) was asked about Sufis, he answered: “they are our enemies, whoever is inclined towards them then he's one of them and will be resurrected with them. There will be people who claim they love us but they are inclined towards them and they try to be like them, call themselves with their name, and say what they say, whoever is inclined towards them he's not from us and we are innocent from him and whoever rejects them and refutes them he's like someone who performed Jihad against the disbelievers with the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his pure family)” (Safinatul Bihar, by al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 57).

It has also been reported that Al-Hussain bin Abul Khattab said: “One day, I was with Abul Hassan al-Hadi (peace be upon him) in the mosque of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his pure family) when some of his companions, among whom was Abu Hashim al-Ja’fari, came to him. Abu Hashim was an eloquent man and had a high position near Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him).

“While we were standing, a group of Sufis came into the mosque. They sat in a corner of the mosque and began saying ‘La Ilaha Illallah’ (i.e. there is no God but Allah). Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) turned towards his companions and said to them: ‘Do not pay attention to these deceivers for they are allies of the Devils and destroyers of the bases of religion. ‘They become ascetic to relieve their bodies and watch to hunt cattle…they do not practice rites except to deceive people, and do not decrease food except to…cheat the fool…their worships are but dancing and clapping, and their praises are but singing. No one follows them except the stupid, and no one believes in them except the fool. Whoever went to visit any of them alive or dead as if he went to visit Satan and idolaters, and whoever supported any of them, as if he supported, Mu’awiya, Yazid, and Abu Sufyan…’

Then one of the companions said, ‘Even if he acknowledges your rights?’ Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) scolded him and shouted: ‘Do not say that! He, who acknowledges our rights, does not disobey us. Do you not know that they are the worst group of Sufis?! Though all Sufis are dissentient to us and their way is contrary to ours. They are but Christians and magi of this nation. They do their best to put out the light of Allah with their mouths, and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the unbelievers are averse…’” (Hadiqatul Shi’ah, by al-Ardabili, p. 602, taken from al-Mufid may Allah the Most Exalted be pleased with him).

Our master Imam al-Askari (peace be upon him) has also been reported to have said to Abu Hashim al-Ja’fari: “O Abu Hashim! There will come a time where people’s faces are laughing and joyous [while] their hearts are dark and indeterminate. The Sunnah amongst them is innovation and the innovation is Sunnah. The believer amongst them is demeaned and the evil one venerated. Their rulers are oppressive and their scholars through the doors of darkness proceed. Their wealthy pillage the provision of their poor. Their young precede their old, and every ignorant to them is an authority, and every assignee to them is poor. They do not differentiate between the sincere and the doubtful, nor do they know the sheep from wolves. Their scholars are the most evil of God’s creation on the face of earth, because they incline towards Philosophy and Sufism. By Allah! They are of the enemies and people of distortion. They exaggerate in their love for our opponents and they misguide our Shi’a and Followers.” (Safinatul Bihar, By al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 58).

Irfan and Sufism are verily two sides of the same coin. One of the main distinctive factors found in both Irfan and Sufism is their exaltation of the symbols of Sufism such as al-Hallaj, Ibn Arabi and Jalal al-Din Rumi; in addition to their living in their hospices and taste.

As predicted by our pure Imams (peace be upon them), the Irfan known today is verily a satanic approach which claims the possibility of reaching the very kernel and reality of the existence of God through unlawful methods such as the so-called Kashf (mystical experience, miracle), Shuhud (witnessing or direct experiential knowledge) and Qat’ al-Asfar al-Arba'a (the four spiritual voyages) which are: 1. Min al-Khalq Ila al-Haq (from men towards God), 2. Min al-Haqi Ila al-Haq (journeying along with the Lord within Him), 3. Min al-Haqi Ila al-Khalq (from God to man with God), 4. Min al-Khalq Ila al-Khalq (journeying with God among men)! As you may realise they have no connection whatsoever with Shari’a.

Most dangerously, this satanic approach leads its follower to believe in the concept of ‘Wahdat al Wujood Wal Mawjood” and therefore to Shirk. The following Hadith of our master Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) is one of the useful ways to refute this concept: “God is absolutely independent of all His creatures and all His creatures have absolutely nothing in common with Him. And to whatsoever the expression ‘thing’ is applicable is a creature except God and God is the Creator of everything, blessed is He, naught is as His likeness and He is the All-Hearing and All-Seeing”. (al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 82).

Edited by celestial