Jump to content
Chaotic Muslem

ShiaChatter's Arabic Common Mistakes

Recommended Posts

Salam

So so many of you want to learn arabic and many of you already know some, even if that some is the religious phrases and rituals we as muslims must abide by.

Anyway, there are some common mistakes said and written by many of you, and what's the better way to learn than learning from one's mistakes?

 

Let's start with this so common that it irritate me : Jazakallah!

Jaza (n) : reward

Jaza (v) : Past tense of (He Rewarded) even if He is not mentioned, the structure of the verse has a presumed He inbuilt in the simple past tense

Jaza(k): The oaf is a pronoun, conjugated pronoun. And it serve as (you)

He reward You

Now, here the He is mentioned after the verb ( which is the default in Arabic, the subject comes after the verb) and after the object (You) : Allah

Reward You Alah.. or May Allah reward you .. Though the verb is in past tens and and there is no "may" in the sentence , but it is how it is. 

Now what irritate me is this: What Allah will reward me?

The phrase can be used in negative sense as well because it is incomplete . By default it is Jazaka Allahu Kahiran i.e. May Allah reward you with goodness. This goodness can be good job, good wife, good children, good psych, good religion etc

Jazaka AllahU Khairal-Jazaa

May Allah reward you "the best= khair" of goodness

Jazaka Alllahu Khairan fid-Dunyia wal Aakhirah

May Allah reward you with goodness in the lower (life /earth) and the last (life/earth)

You should mention what do you wish for Allah to reward the person to make your prayer for them complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL sister, just as i was reading this, my uncle outside before driving off told my dad 'JazakAllah'. Literally just as i read it sister.

Eitherway, this was a wonderful thread, i loved reading it, and i loved the way you broke down the arabic. It would be great to have more threads where you gave tips and pointers about arabic.

JazakAllahu Khaairan Fid Dunyia wa Aaakhirah, wa khairan abna akum, wa awladukum, wa nisaukum, wa anfusahum, wa anti-ahlelbayt

 

Edited by Tawheed313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, in Lisan Al-Arab it is mentioned that Jazak is only used to imply that Allah will reward you with goodness. Jaazaak (جازاك) [with a m-ad مد] can be used for good and bad.

جاء في "لسان العرب":
(وسُئِلَ أبو العبَّاس عن جَزَيْته وجازَيْته، فقالَ: قالَ الفرَّاءُ: لا يكون جَزَيْتُه إلاَّ في الخير، وجازَيْته يكونُ في الخَيْرِ والشَّرِّ، قالَ: وغيرُه يُجِيزُ جَزَيْتُه في الخير والشرِّ، وجازَيْتُه في الشَّرِّ)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Actually, in Lisan Al-Arab it is mentioned that Jazak is only used to imply that Allah will reward you with goodness. Jaazaak (جازاك) [with a m-ad مد] can be used for good and bad.

جاء في "لسان العرب":
(وسُئِلَ أبو العبَّاس عن جَزَيْته وجازَيْته، فقالَ: قالَ الفرَّاءُ: لا يكون جَزَيْتُه إلاَّ في الخير، وجازَيْته يكونُ في الخَيْرِ والشَّرِّ، قالَ: وغيرُه يُجِيزُ جَزَيْتُه في الخير والشرِّ، وجازَيْتُه في الشَّرِّ)

thank you for the information. But it does not change the fact that jazakallah is incomplete sentence. Also, check al 7atee'ah poem

الحطيئة

جزاك الله شرّاً من عجوزٍ  ولقّاك العقوق من البنينا 
أغربالا إذا استودعت سرا  وكانونا على المتحدثينا 
فَقَدْ سُوِّسْتِ أمْرَ بَنِيكِ حتّى  تركتهمُ أدقُّ من الطحينا 
لسانك مبردٌ لم يبقِ شيئاً  و دَرُّكِ دَرُّ جاذِبَة ٍ دَهِينِا 
وإنْ تخلي وأمرك لا تصوني  بِمُشْتَدٍّ قُوَاهُ ولا مَتِينِا 
تنحي واجلسي مني بعيدا  أراح الله منك العالمينا 
حياتك ، ماعلمت ، حياة سوء  و موتك قد يسر الصالحينا
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assalam

Allah will reward you only khair, so no need to use an another word after JazakAllah.

Also in every language some Sentence are comon, so the shortcut is enough.

When we say jazakallah, everyone knows the "khair"word is the hidden word at the end.

In poetry this is a technical option.

This is call. الفصاحه

since العدل al-a'adl is so important in shia religion (just like tawheed) this topic is one of the important subject in al-a'adl

Also Shaheed Mutahhari r.a mentioned that in the book: العدل الهی، 

Wassalamo alaykom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Haimi said:

Assalam

Allah will reward you only khair, so no need to use an another word after JazakAllah.

Also in every language some Sentence are comon, so the shortcut is enough.

When we say jazakallah, everyone knows the "khair"word is the hidden word at the end.

In poetry this is a technical option.

This is call. الفصاحه

since العدل al-a'adl is so important in shia religion (just like tawheed) this topic is one of the important subject in al-a'adl

Also Shaheed Mutahhari r.a mentioned that in the book: العدل الهی، 

Wassalamo alaykom.

الفصاحة لا تعني كلمات مقطعة

fasaha means to write full sentences and that sentence isn't complete

I'm getting a heart attack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

الفصاحة لا تعني كلمات مقطعة

fasaha means to write full sentences and that sentence isn't complete

I'm getting a heart attack!

All i know about Fesaha is: less words, more meaning, Easy to understand for the target.

Full sentences required when the target isn't able to understand you. 

Enshallah you're fine without any heart attack.

The book جواهر البلاغه can prove that.

Wassalam.

 

Edited by Haimi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Haimi said:

All i know about Fesaha is: less words, more meaning, Easy to understand for the target.

Full sentences required when the target isn't able to understand you. 

Enshallah you're fine without any heart attack.

The book جواهر البلاغه can prove that.

Wassalam.

 

No that's balagha

Fasaha is to be clear! 

اللسان الفصيح

Is opposite to اعجمي

So to be Faseeh, you need to talk like proper Arab without the ajam influence. For example, Iraqis and those in Gulf turn k to cha like ajam of persia... now that's against fasaha

Also, ommitting some parts of sentences is against fasaha

To be faseeh is to be clear! JazakAllah is like : May Allah.. May Allah what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother look at this

والفصاحة : في اصطلاح أهل المعاني ، عبارة عن الألفاظ البينة الظاهرة ، المتبادرة إلى الفهم ، والمأنوسة الاستعمال بين الكتاب والشّعراء لمكان حسنها.

We're shia, we know that Allah swt want any khair for people. That's why our scholar says that our beliefs do affects in our fesaha & belaqa.

Ofc the word al-khar isnt الظاهر، but من حیث المعنا it is المبادرة، means it's common for poeple especially Kalami va ahl al-ma'ani poeple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

واعلم : أنَّ الفرق بين الفصاحة والبلاغة : أن الفصاحةَ مقصورةٌ على وصف الألفاظ ، والبلاغةَ لا تكون إلا وصفاً للألفاظ مع المعاني ؛ وأن الفصاحةَ تكون وصفاً للكلمة والكلام ، والبلاغةَ لا تكون وصفاً للكلمة ، بل تكون وصفاً للكلام ، وأن فصاحة الكلام شرط في بلاغته ؛
فكل كلام بليغ : فصيحٌ ، وليس كل فصيح بليغاً ، كالذي يقع فيه الإسهاب حين يجب الإيجاز
 

That's why المنطقیون call fesaha and belaqa, العموم والخصوص المطلق

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is also kind of الایجاز bcz:

هو وضع المعاني الكثيرة في ألفاظ أقل

We have less word: Jazak+Allah,

While these includes a lot of meaning at the same time while its comon.

Edited by Haimi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×