guest050817

Learn Arabic Easily - Get in here

Anyone recommend a good arabic english dictionary to go with this?

This is the best one for English speakers:

http://ejtaal.net/aa/#hw4=702,ll=2035,ls=5,la=2798,sg=687,ha=464,br=623,pr=102,aan=395,mgf=583,vi=254,kz=1566,mr=412,mn=893,uqw=1046,umr=695,ums=577,umj=515,ulq=1186,uqa=281,uqq=230,bdw=h580,amr=h416,asb=h632,auh=h1015,dhq=h358,mht=h579,msb=h155,tla=h70,amj=h507,ens=h166,mis=h1401

But it isn't the best for beginners because if they don't have a grasp of sarf, they won't be able to find the roots to search for.

If would be great if there could be a fully digitalised version of Lane's Lexicon or Hans Wehr that would find words of any form rather than roots.

Total beginners should just use google translate for individual words (not for sentences, for the most part, it isn't able to translate them)

Oh cool, I guess that works better.  But these are so long, how can we watch all this while living our hectic work and consumer lifestyles?

Essentially, play the video at 1.5x or twice the speed. You may think this might make it inaudible, but the teacher speaks extremely slowly, if you turn the speed to 1.5x or 2x, you can get a whole lesson of three lots of 45 minutes done in just over an hour.  One can dedicate perhaps four hours or five hours  week and can in seven months complete all three books, if they supplement it with other things - i.e watching cartoons in fusah and trying to immerse yourself in the language, making posters, practising.

What i wrote:

1. Go to video's, select book one, DVD 1, then A1. After this go to A2, and A3. Then the next lesson is B1/2/3. Then the next lesson is DVD 2, A1/2/3, and so on.

2. The teacher speaks *very* slowly, to save time and get things done in half the time, you can hear him clearly if you double the speed of the youtube video.

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB

Request html5 player.

Then on the video options in the bottom right set it to 1.5x or 2x the speed. This will make it so much easier to listen to him, concentrate, and save so much time.

Edited by Tawheed313

Oh cool, I guess that works better.  But these are so long, how can we watch all this while living our hectic work and consumer lifestyles?

Its my own style of learning . I don't know if it works with you. Learn two different language same time, this way you will learn both due to comparison.

Imam Ali (as) said : " Momins are always busy " .. that means they are always thinking about something, calculating, writing, reading etc .. So while moving to office from home you can make your brain busy in comparisons.

Its my own style of learning . I don't know if it works with you. Learn two different language same time, this way you will learn both due to comparison.

Imam Ali (as) said : " Momins are always busy " .. that means they are always thinking about something, calculating, writing, reading etc .. So while moving to office from home you can make your brain busy in comparisons.

Salamunalykum,

Could you elaborate on this please brother?

Salamunalykum,

Could you elaborate on this please brother?

If you want to learn a language , it is better to learn two different languages same time.

I got this idea from kids who are studying in schools and learning different things same time. I too learned Urdu/English/Hindi same time from school , that indicates our brain is designed to compare things more better then just concentrating on one thing.

Lets take an example : While reciting salaat if we just concentrate on words then there is chance we will loose concentration after sometime. But when we are reciting and concentrating on words as well as meaning our both Brain .. The present and the sub conscious one both become busy on one direction. That is why all the Scholars are recommending this trick to perform salaat. Recite as well as concentrate on meaning, so both brain will become busy.

Same way if we learn two different languages we will learn easily.

^ wow I hadn't thought of that, but it's so true!

I found it hard to persist in learning Italian when it was the only language I was learning for a few months, but paradoxically when I'm learning multiple languages now (including Arabic) it seems to be going much faster! 

^ wow I hadn't thought of that, but it's so true!

I found it hard to persist in learning Italian when it was the only language I was learning for a few months, but paradoxically when I'm learning multiple languages now (including Arabic) it seems to be going much faster! 

His theory isn't necessarily correct for the reasons he's claiming, once you 'learn' how to learn a language, you are able to apply that to another language, that could also be a reason.

Although we all find inspiration in different ways, but I know that before I started learning Arabic, my Spanish was much better than it is now, now when I try to speak I use a lot of Arabic words, thinking they are Spanish.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

1 hour ago, Yasmin P said:

Has anyone come across Yusuf Mullah's Shariah Programme Arabic course?  If you have I wondered if you could comment on how it compares to the one above if you're familiar with both?

Many thanks.

Yes, I have taken that course (I've yet to finish the first year though...) but even just doing the first 6 months enables you to access books, you just need to do a little vocab building on the side.

Forget about learning Arabic from an Arab, they try to teach it like a European language, you can't understand Arabic without understanding the grammar, something that Pakistanis and Indian are very strong in. This course is very heavy on grammar, it's quite fun.

Although I should add that I spoke to a brother a while ago, he had done both and he said that the Madinah books were just as good, I haven't studied them, but they are also highly recommended, which ever course of the two you choose, as long as you are dedicated and put in a little bit of work each day, insha'Allah you'll get there. Taking a few classes at the start is always a good way to get the ball rolling.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Thank you so much.  I'm doing the Shariah Course right now.  I've only started the reading text.  I'm on week 4.  It really is seamless how they get you into understanding the grammar pretty much straightaway, that you're able to understand about half of what you're reading which I think is a remarkable feat, to take someone from scratch to understanding 50% even if it is a children's book. 

I was just curious to know if the other one was better but you've just clarified that, so thank you.  I will have a look at the other one once I've finished this one.  I might also ask Zaytuna College what texts they use to teach Arabic as I don't fancy paying $9000 for a short arabic summer course.

Edited by Yasmin P
typo

On 7/2/2015 at 11:46 AM, Ali_Hussain said:

There is actually a hadith from Imam al-Baqir ('a) I think, possibly narrated by al-Saduq in al-Khisal advising us to learn Arabic because it is the language of the Qur'an. But I can't manage to find it.

The hadith is along the lines of "Learn the language of the last religion." Something like that.

10 hours ago, Yasmin P said:

Thank you so much.  I'm doing the Shariah Course right now.  I've only started the reading text.  I'm on week 4.  It really is seamless how they get you into understanding the grammar pretty much straightaway, that you're able to understand about half of what you're reading which I think is a remarkable feat, to take someone from scratch to understanding 50% even if it is a children's book. 

I was just curious to know if the other one was better but you've just clarified that, so thank you.  I will have a look at the other one once I've finished this one.  I might also ask Zaytuna College what texts they use to teach Arabic as I don't fancy paying $9000 for a short arabic summer course.

If you have a bit of spare cash, you can do skype lessons with teachers in Arabic countries, Egypt has a few schools, the lessons are around $10/h, the first one is often free so you can get an idea of how it fits for you, but that could be a option. I haven't taken any myself, but I'm thinking about it.

If you want to discuss any points, make a thread, I want to get back into studying so it would be good for me as well, I've kind of been working my way through Hidayat al-Nahw recently, but as I don't have that much spare time, it is going a little slow, I'm nearly a 1/3 of the way thorough.

There are also some other decent resources on youtube,on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnQuranicArabic?gl=BE

You should also try some listening exercises here and there, to get accustomed to it, although it might be a little tough for you right now.

The key is not to loose momentum.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

I think I know what you mean, if you stop for a week or two and lose momentum, you have to put in a lot more work to pick up where you had left off than you would if you had just carried on.  That's been my problem and that's why I'm still at week 4. I am determined though to catch up.  I plan to go through the first 16 weeks in 16 days and then go back over it to get a better understanding. 

I shall let you know if I start a thread unless you start one first.

@uponthesunnah

Salam--

Thanks for this invaluable resource. Would you happen to know how each lecture is it divided up? As in, how do we know which lecture pertains to which part of the book in the Madinah series books?

This is Mushaf Arabi, correct?

Also,to echo the question above, do you recommend any dictionaries that can allow you to look up root words from the Quran?

10 hours ago, Sumayyeh said:

@uponthesunnah

Salam--

Thanks for this invaluable resource. Would you happen to know how each lecture is it divided up? As in, how do we know which lecture pertains to which part of the book in the Madinah series books?

Also,to echo the question above, do you recommend any dictionaries that can allow you to look up root words from the Quran?

:ws:

Lecture's generally follow the pattern of the books. If you download the book's online, then what you ought to do is follow the arabic section, but read the English Key beforehand on the free books i've linked in the OP [on their website, free PDFS]. There are also 'handouts' for each book, which delve into grammar so learn side by side.

In the lecture's, he takes time to explain things, and sometimes he goes on to discuss the handout, or part of the lecture is re-capping before moving on.  Each lecture pretty much covers one or two of the lessons in each book, and so it is somewhat synchronised. 

Please do let me know if you want to clarify anything more/ or further explain something.

Edited by uponthesunnah

10 hours ago, Sumayyeh said:

@uponthesunnah

Salam--

There are a number of dictionaries here, as well as books made purely compiling Quranic words etc:

Al-Mawrid Arabic English Dictionary - http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/alMawrid.pdf

Heins Weir Dictionary- http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Hans-Wehr.pdf

Vocabulary of the Holy Quran - http://www.kalamullah.com/vocabulary-of-quran.html

Although the above books may or may not have been copyrighted[unlike the material in the OP which was published for free], i think the fatwah by ay.sistani(h) says we can view something someone else has copied, if we did not copy ourselves. But best to double check.