Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Faruk

Shia view of Sa'd Ibn abi Waqqas

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salam,

According to Sunni one of the Ten Promised Paradise. A governor under Muawiyya's rule. Father of Umar who led the army against Imam Hussain a.s.

What is the twelver Shia view of Sa'd Ibn Abi Waqqas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know Muawyiah killed Sa'd ibn Abi Waqas by poison, and his son was always blamed for serving the murderer of his father, anyway, what he did is not as important as what his son did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 9:12 PM, Panzerwaffe said:

Where was he a governer of under muawiyah? 

 

Salam,

I don't know where he appointed him but if you doubt THAT he was appointed by him as a governor than you'll find it in Sahih Muslim.

Amir b. Sa'd b. Abi Waqqas reported on the authority of his father that Muawiya b. Abi Sufyan appointed Sa'd as the Governor and said: ...

http://sunnah.com/muslim/44/50

Edited by Faruk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam Alaikum,

I'm not really sure; because I came across a hadith that mentioned how Sa'd Ibn Waqqas refused to curse Imam Ali(as) when Muawiyah(la) told him to.

But then again, he's the father of the murderer Umar Ibn Sa'd (la)

So maybe he defended Imam Ali(as) at one point but then still served under the government of Muawiyah(la)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 4:49 AM, 3wliya_maryam said:

Salam Alaikum,

I'm not really sure; because I came across a hadith that mentioned how Sa'd Ibn Waqqas refused to curse Imam Ali(as) when Muawiyah(la) told him to.

But then again, he's the father of the murderer Umar Ibn Sa'd (la)

So maybe he defended Imam Ali(as) at one point but then still served under the government of Muawiyah(la)

 

It was not his fault that he was father of that person.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas was one of the 10 people the Prophet (saw) identified being behind the conspiracy to murder him:

 

I asked the Messenger of Allah (S) whether these hypocrites were from the Muhajireen or Ansar. The Holy Prophet (S) mentioned each of them by name and also informed me of a group regarding whom I didn’t want it to be included, so I kept quiet. The Prophet said: O Huzaifa, perhaps you have doubts about some of them, just look up.

So I looked up and saw all of them standing on the cliff. Suddenly there was a flash of lightning, which illuminated our surroundings for such a long time that I thought that the Sun was up. In that light, I recognized each person of that group and found each of those whom the Prophet had named, who were fourteen in all, nine from Quraish and five from other people.

The reporter of this narration, Ansari said: O Huzaifa, may Allah have mercy on you, please mention their names to me. Huzaifa said: By Allah, they were: Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Talha, Abdur Rahman bin Auf, Saad bin Abi Waqqas, Abu Ubaidah bin Jarrah, Muawiyah bin Abi Sufyan and Amr bin Aas, from Quraish; and another five were: Abu Musa Ashari, Mughairah bin Shoba Aus bin Hadsan, Abu Huraira and Abu Talha Ansari.

https://www.al-islam.org/hayat-al-qulub-vol-2-allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi/farewell-hajj-–-description-hajj-and-umrah#prophet-identifies-hypocrites-huzaifa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2018 at 4:51 PM, shiaman14 said:

It looks like Sa'ad bin Abi Waqqas was one of the 10 people the Prophet (saw) identified being behind the conspiracy to murder him:

 

I asked the Messenger of Allah (S) whether these hypocrites were from the Muhajireen or Ansar. The Holy Prophet (S) mentioned each of them by name and also informed me of a group regarding whom I didn’t want it to be included, so I kept quiet. The Prophet said: O Huzaifa, perhaps you have doubts about some of them, just look up.

So I looked up and saw all of them standing on the cliff. Suddenly there was a flash of lightning, which illuminated our surroundings for such a long time that I thought that the Sun was up. In that light, I recognized each person of that group and found each of those whom the Prophet had named, who were fourteen in all, nine from Quraish and five from other people.

The reporter of this narration, Ansari said: O Huzaifa, may Allah have mercy on you, please mention their names to me. Huzaifa said: By Allah, they were: Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Talha, Abdur Rahman bin Auf, Saad bin Abi Waqqas, Abu Ubaidah bin Jarrah, Muawiyah bin Abi Sufyan and Amr bin Aas, from Quraish; and another five were: Abu Musa Ashari, Mughairah bin Shoba Aus bin Hadsan, Abu Huraira and Abu Talha Ansari.

https://www.al-islam.org/hayat-al-qulub-vol-2-allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi/farewell-hajj-–-description-hajj-and-umrah#prophet-identifies-hypocrites-huzaifa

How reliable is the source you have given? Could you kindly post the Arabic, as well as the Chain of narrators for this source, so it can be ascertained if this is reliable. It would help if yourself or anyone else could present any other sources which explicitly give names.

The most important thing for us to know if this can be reliably attributed to the Prophet (saw). I have this book, and many people who are knowledgable have told me that Majlisi included a lot of very weak narrations in it, and outside of Mirat al-Uqul, his gradings should not really be taken generally speaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

How reliable is the source you have given? Could you kindly post the Arabic, as well as the Chain of narrators for this source, so it can be ascertained if this is reliable. It would help if yourself or anyone else could present any other sources which explicitly give names.

The most important thing for us to know if this can be reliably attributed to the Prophet (saw). I have this book, and many people who are knowledgable have told me that Majlisi included a lot of very weak narrations in it, and outside of Mirat al-Uqul, his gradings should not really be taken generally speaking. 

I would but my words are twisted by salafis and posted elsewhere so I won't provide any references to my references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after Hasan's truce with muawiyah the same partisan politics does not apply even if Sa'd did serve as his governer 

several of Ali's supporters served under muawiyah without compromising their fellow Alid supporters or in anyway harming the interests of Imams 

remember muawiyah was the DEFACTO ruler after the armistice, being his offical is technically not being a loyalist of ummayyad esp since Imams are alive and living in retirement 

regarding his son, it should not be held against Sa'd 

 

the son of Miqdad ( the greatly revered companion for shias ) fought in Jamal with Aisha and against Ali 

and Nephew of Sa'd b abi waqqas (who in Qadissiya was a commander of Sa'd 's cavalry) was the companion Hashim b Utba, and he fought valiantly in siffin on the side of Imam Ali and fell on the 2nd or third day in battle 

 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 7:19 AM, 3wliya_maryam said:

Well it can still be his fault for raising such a bloodthirsty animal

Nuh AS also raise someone bad , it does not mean you will blame Nuh AS for that.  A person is responsible for his own deeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×