ChattingwithShias

Question for Iranians (Anonymous Poll)

Rate this topic

What ethnicity or region of Iran is your family ORIGINALLY from? (patrilineal)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What ethnicity/region of Iran is your family ORIGINALLY from? (father's side)

• Persian - Fars Province
    • Persian - Khorasan Provinces
    • Persian - Esfahan Province
    • Persian - Kerman Province
    • Persian - Yazd Province
    • Persian - Tehran, Markazi or Qom Provinces
    • Persian - Bushehr or Hormuzgan Provinces
    • Persian - Semnan Province
    • Persian - Hamadan Province
    • Azeri Tork
    • Qashqai Tork
    • Turkmen
    • Tork (other)
    • Balochi
    • Kord
    • Gilani / Mazandarani
    • Bakhtiari or Lor
    • Arab
    • Talysh
    • Armenian or Assyrian

(Anonymous Poll) What type of Iranian are you?

*NOTE: Do not put Tehran if your grandparents or great grandparents are from somewhere else and just moved there. Few people are originally Tehrani.

** If your parents are from different parts, go by your father, unless you hate him then just go by your mother

3 hours ago, ChattingwithShias said:

I know you're out there Iranians...

Fars is where my Dad's from and yet I am also part Azeri from my Mum who was born in Tehran.

Why do you want to know this information and what is it for? Why specifically the Paternal side?

In Iranian culture and most Asiatic cultures your tribe/identity/citizenship is based on the father. There aren't enough options to include all the different mixes of regions that can occur.

Just trying to check out the demographics of Iranian Shiachatters per region. I voted too.

56 minutes ago, magma said:

What's it to ya? Does it matter? Explain!

I've been making a bunch of POLL threads, they've gotten traction but this one has the least amount of participation :-(

I guess a point of this one is to see if stereotypes about Iranian religiosity per region hold up on shiachat

On 8/3/2016 at 0:31 PM, ChattingwithShias said:

I've been making a bunch of POLL threads, they've gotten traction but this one has the least amount of participation :-(

I guess a point of this one is to see if stereotypes about Iranian religiosity per region hold up on shiachat

Perhaps there is a stereotype about Iranian religiosity, but there are Iranians who are ethnically Arab, Armenian and Assyrian and they don't come to ShiaChat every day. Most of the Iranians who come to ShiaChat come here because they are Shia.

2 hours ago, hameedeh said:

Perhaps there is a stereotype about Iranian religiosity, but there are Iranians who are ethnically Arab, Armenian and Assyrian and they don't come to ShiaChat every day. Most of the Iranians who come to ShiaChat come here because they are Shia.

Yeah I know but among the Iranian Shia who visit this site I wanted to see the breakdown. I included Assyrians and Armenians just to include all the different ethnic groups, you never know maybe someone converted to Islam

PS Can you move this to the General Discussion so it gets more votes?

I voted: Esfahan

My father lived his whole life in south Tehran but his family is originally from Esfahan. Not sure how far back you have to go to be honest.

My mummy dearest, her family is from the Yazd. But she ain't lived there. Her parents (me maternal grandparents) is from there.

Between the two, I am partial to Yazd. But I chose Esfahan because, rules.

On 8/23/2016 at 0:06 AM, 6Roman6Catholic6 said:

I'm Polish, Irish, Danish, Hungarian, and Jewish.

I never understood how anyone can be part Jewish. Makes utterly no sense. It's not an ethnicity/nationality, no matter how much they try to make it one. Anyone calling themselves half Jewish, or an "atheist Jew" is just kidding themselves.

My father always told me I was part Jewish. I don't consider myself a Jew and no Orthodox Jew would see me as a Jew. Indeed Palestinians are more Jewish than all modern day Jews. The Yemeni Jews are mostly converts from the 4th-5th centuries. European Jews are descended 7th-10th century converts. All it takes to be a Jew is denying Jesus as the Messiah, circumcision, and a menorah.

Edited by 6Roman6Catholic6

On 8/23/2016 at 8:01 AM, baradar_jackson said:

I voted: Esfahan

My father lived his whole life in south Tehran but his family is originally from Esfahan. Not sure how far back you have to go to be honest.

My mummy dearest, her family is from the Yazd. But she ain't lived there. Her parents (me maternal grandparents) is from there.

Between the two, I am partial to Yazd. But I chose Esfahan because, rules.

I came to find out recently that there is a huge Iranian community in Oman - all of them are from Esfahan apparently.