Jump to content
6Roman6Catholic6

Who are the Sabians?

Recommended Posts

Who are the Sabians? I've read that Muslims don't even know who they are.  I've read that their are Hadiths that say that they are simply new converts to Islam. Other sources say that the Sabians were star worshippers. I've also read that they might be the ancient people of Yemen. They are mentioned 3 times in the Quran. Why did God mention this group called the "Sabians"? What is so special about them? and why is their so little knowledge of who they were? It's seems strange to me, seeing as how the Quran is supposed to be the eternal word of God. Why would God mention a group of people that centuries later would have little to no relevance? I've encountered similar ambiguous references to essentially unimportant tribes and nations in the bible that have no relevance in today's world. What is the significance of the Sabians?

(Here are some Quranic verses mentioning the Sabians.)

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans – whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right – surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.[Quran 2:62]

Lo! those who believe, and those who are Jews, and Sabaeans, and Christians – Whosoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right – there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.[Quran 5:69]

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians, Christians, Magians, and Polytheists,- Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment: for Allah is witness of all things.[Quran 22:17]

Edited by 6Roman6Catholic6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I recall, they are

  1. Called "Mandaeans" in English
  2. Mandaeism is their religion
  3. Ginza is their holy book
  4. Greatest messenger is Yahya (John the Baptist)

God willing, I'll conduct a thorough research on them soon.

Edited by Ali666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 6Roman6Catholic6 said:

@Ali666 The Mandaeans number under 100,000 adherents today. They reject Jesus as a prophet. I've read that some Muslims see them as the Sabians of the Quran. But, their is little evidence for this to be the case.

Yes, I am well-aware. If you disagree that they are the Sabians of the Qur'an, please share with me who else it may referring to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ali666I don't know who the Sabians are that God is referring to in the Quran. It seems like a mystery to me. In the bible there is a lot of mystery behind certain tribes and nations that no longer exist today. But, I think in the next life I will learn of their importance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Sabians, who were pagans in the Middle East, were identified with two groups, the Mandaeans and the Harranians. The Mandaeans lived in Iraq during the 2nd century A.D. As they continue to do today, they worshipped multiple gods, or "light personalities."

Their gods were classified under four categories: "first life", "second life", "third life", and "fourth life". Old gods belong to the "first life" category. They summoned deities who, in turn, created "second life" deities, and so forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sabians belong to a centuries-old sect that follows the teachings of John the Baptist but is neither Muslim nor Christian. Flowing water plays a symbolic role in their faith, and several people were baptized at the recent ceremony, including three couples who were getting married. The Sabians belong to a centuries-old sect that follows the teachings of John the Baptist but is neither Muslim nor Christian.

2024854.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2016 at 5:59 AM, ElAhmed said:

"The Sabians, who were pagans in the Middle East, were identified with two groups, the Mandaeans and the Harranians. The Mandaeans lived in Iraq during the 2nd century A.D. As they continue to do today, they worshipped multiple gods, or "light personalities."

Their gods were classified under four categories: "first life", "second life", "third life", and "fourth life". Old gods belong to the "first life" category. They summoned deities who, in turn, created "second life" deities, and so forth.

My friend, where did you get this info?

In your recommended article, the head priest and spiritual leader of the Sabaeans in Iraq says, "We are similar with Islam in describing the God as one and indivisible". This confirms my long-held belief that Mandaeans are monotheists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 5:32 AM, 6Roman6Catholic6 said:

@Ali666 The Mandaeans number under 100,000 adherents today. They reject Jesus as a prophet. I've read that some Muslims see them as the Sabians of the Quran. But, their is little evidence for this to be the case.

If you read the Gospels carefully you'll notice that some disciples of John refused to join Jesus.

That's how the movement started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Faruk said:

If you read the Gospels carefully you'll notice that some disciples of John refused to join Jesus.

That's how the movement started.

I disagree with your last statement. In my opinion, Mandaeism began with the declaration of Yahya (John the Baptist) as a messenger of God and should have ended with the declaration of Jesus as the next messenger of God. Unfortunately and as you correctly pointed out, some of Yahya's followers rejected Jesus and remained Mandaeans until this day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ali6 said:

I disagree with your last statement. In my opinion, Mandaeism began with the declaration of Yahya (John the Baptist) as a messenger of God and should have ended with the declaration of Jesus as the next messenger of God. Unfortunately and as you correctly pointed out, some of Yahya's followers rejected Jesus and remained Mandaeans until this day. 

Depends on how you look at it.

According to Islamic belief they were muslims untill they started to make distinctions between Yahya and Isa a.s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ali6 said:

My friend, where did you get this info?

In your recommended article, the head priest and spiritual leader of the Sabaeans in Iraq says, "We are similar with Islam in describing the God as one and indivisible". This confirms my long-held belief that Mandaeans are monotheists. 

Internet my friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This school has a few follower in the past and present and there is a dispute about its origin. Some reports say that they were before Jews and Christians. Also these reports believes that they were the follower of the religion of Ibrahim or used of Ibrahim's religion to complete their religion. This group has different branches too.

Some of them have a close relationship to the religion of Ibrahim, so they are known as 'Hunafa' and another group of them called "حرانیون" which lived in the region of Haran in the northwest of Mosul.

They had the same destiny that Jews and Christians had, because they were deviated from right path and real monotheism and lent to stars as the recourse.

But some people believe that they followed the religion of Noah.

It is said that their geographical place is in the Khuzestan Province.

They believe that sacred book revealed at first on the Adam, then Noah and eventually yahya bin zakariya.

Today about 5 thousands of the followers of this school live in Khuzestan Province.

 

 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mirkhalil said:

This school has a few follower in the past and present and there is a dispute about its origin. Some reports say that they were before Jews and Christians. Also these reports believes that they were the follower of the religion of Ibrahim or used of Ibrahim's religion to complete their religion. This group has different branches too.

Some of them have a close relationship to the religion of Ibrahim, so they are known as 'Hunafa' and another group of them called "حرانیون" which lived in the region of Haran in the northwest of Mosul.

They had the same destiny that Jews and Christians had, because they were deviated from right path and real monotheism and lent to stars as the recourse.

But some people believe that they followed the religion of Noah.

It is said that their geographical place is in the Khuzestan Province.

They believe that sacred book revealed at first on the Adam, then Noah and eventually yahya bin zakariya.

Today about 5 thousands of the followers of this school live in Khuzestan Province.

All religions claim precedence and therefore, claims to precede such and such religion or follow the religion of Abraham, Noah, or even Adam should be taken with a grain of salt. Just look at who they regard as the greatest messenger and that's the person who started the whole thing. 

In regards to them worshipping stars, this is a misunderstanding of some Muslims similar to how they misunderstood Zoroastrians (Majoosi) of worshipping fire when in reality, fire is their qiblih.

Edited by Ali6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ali6 said:

All religions claim precedence and therefore, claims to precede such and such religion or follow the religion of Abraham, Noah, or even Adam should be taken with a grain of salt. Just look at who they regard as the greatest messenger and that's the person who started the whole thing. 

In regards to them worshipping stars, this is a misunderstanding of some Muslims similar to how they misunderstood Zoroastrians (Majoosi) of worshipping fire when in reality, fire is their qiblih.

I mentioned that they consider stars as the recourse, not as ideal. So they recourse to the stars and they don't worship stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2016 at 0:59 PM, ElAhmed said:

"The Sabians, who were pagans in the Middle East, were identified with two groups, the Mandaeans and the Harranians. The Mandaeans lived in Iraq during the 2nd century A.D. As they continue to do today, they worshipped multiple gods, or "light personalities."

Their gods were classified under four categories: "first life", "second life", "third life", and "fourth life". Old gods belong to the "first life" category. They summoned deities who, in turn, created "second life" deities, and so forth.

For the most part, modern scholars have concluded that the Sabians described by Muslim scholars of the ‘Abbāsid period are not the Sabians mentioned in the Qur’ān. [9]

[9] The city of Ḥarrān, close to the Euphrates river on the border between Syria and Asia Minor, was home to a syncretistic sect that combined worship of the stars and constellations with Hellenistic philosophy. During the medieval period, members of the sect succeeded in convincing Muslims that they were the Sabians referred to in the Qur’ān. As a result, they were permitted to practice their religion. See EI, s.v. Ṣābī (F.C. De Blois)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×