Rate this topic

Sean Carroll is a Physicist not a Philosopher so he has no credentials in answering the question. In regards to why there is something rather than nothing then this is a Philosophical question not a scientific question. Science involves testing hypothesis and looking for patterns in nature, this question is out of scope for him. The universe is not necessary. There is nothing that makes up its nature that makes existence intrinsic to it. I'll let Ethereal answer the rest.

4 hours ago, Dhulfikar said:

Your viewpoint about this ethereal?

Any person who wants to speak about metaphysics needs to engage with and show familiarity with what metaphysicians, like Ibn Sina and Aquinas have said regarding these very topics.  If the Physicist doesn't agree with the metaphysicians then he needs to explain why not.  For example what does he have to say regarding the conceptual distinction that Ibn Sina has made between existence and essence? Phsycists are not stupid, they do read about philosophy (and they probably have their favorite philosophers in mind) bubfor some reason they are simply unaware of classical Metaphysics (perhaps out of intellectual arrogance).  The fact of the matter is that once Physicists make an effort to at least dabble into metaphysics they will quickly come to realize how very little their speciality has to do with answering the ultimate and eternal questions of life.  

14 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Any person who wants to speak about metaphysics needs to engage with and show familiarity with what metaphysicians, like Ibn Sina and Aquinas have said regarding these very topics.

Bismihi Ta'ala
Assalamu Alaykum

Seeing as his name was mentioned, this is a good paper a brother sent to me summarizing and commenting on Avicenna's take on the question "why is there something rather than absolutely nothing (read: no thing)?"

wa assalam

Edited by Ibn Al-Ja'abi

I could not stop laughing hahahahahaha.  God is great. He was always there when you were nothing. So even if there be nothing of creation. Creator is always there. Ignorance has no refuge hahahaha 

Just to revisit this topic and in particular the video interview, the physicist  admitted that the universe in its "quantum state" (the so called "brute fact" and the laws of physics) is not ontologically necessary and that there very well could have been nothing at all.  

Even if we entertain his idea that the universe has an infinite past and an infinite future, he still needs to explain why we should not ask "why the quantum state exists"?  He needs to explain why we should be satisfied with the universe (i.e. quantum state) as a brute fact which should not be questioned.  If you noticed he used a lot of "I think"s and he didn't seem at all certain about what he was saying.