I've read that their is a Shia sect in Turkey called the Alevis' and that they account for 15-25% of the population of Turkey. I have read that they don't worship in a mosque. Although, they are considered twelver Shia, I've heard that they have unique practices. I am very curious why they don't pray in a mosque?

Alevism takes after Bekhtashism. Most Alevis pray and perform Ibadat in Tekkes and Cems. The prefer lodges over mosques. It is, as AleviTurkmanKhorasan said above, a Sufi approach rather than a conventional approach.

The reason why a lot of Alevis are secular in their political outlooks and why a lot of Alevi Tekkes have portraits of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk hanging in the same room as Veli Bekhtash and the Imams is because they had bad experiences of Ottoman rule. As a result, many of them revere Ataturk as a hero. Some of the Alevis I have spoken to really hate Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the Justice and Development Party despite some of them having Turkish nationalist tendencies. However, I have seen Alevis, while secular in the terms of Turkish politics, respect Imam Khomeini and say a few good things about the Islamic Revolution. Even with that said, Alevis are said to be critical (to the point of humor-mongering) of conventional and orthodox Islamic belief, whether Sunni or Shi'a.

In a lot of Muslim societies where the Shi'a are in the minority, it's not uncommon and it is understandable for most of them to be more secular or liberal oriented, especially when it means most forms of Sunni Islamic governance and conservatism entail further marginalization of the Shi'a in those societies.

Brother a few quotes by Haci Bektash Veli 

Some of the famous quotes of Haji Bektash Veli are:

• Seek and find.
  • To search / investigate is an open exam.
  • A path without knowledge will end in darkness.
  • Be in control of your hands (actions), tongue (speech), and loins (desires).
  • Whatever you do, do it for the Truth.
  • There exists in you a “there is” to replace every “there isn't.”
  • He who walks the Path never tires.
  • There is no rank or station higher than the Friend's heart.
  • The one who is wise but doesn't share his wisdom is ignorant.
  • To the ignorant, abandoning what is no longer needed is death; to the wise it is birth.
  • There is no repentance of repentance.
  • Let your heart, your hand, and your table be open to others.
  • Look for the key to all within your deepest being.
  • Whatever you seek, look within.
  • Do not forget your enemy is also a human being.
  • The beauty of human beings is the beauty of their words.
  • If the path appears dark, know that the veil is in your own eyes.
  • All blessings upon the one who overlooks another's shortcomings.
  • All blessings upon the one who makes a secret of secrets.
  • The Word (Quran) is Truth.
  • Do not hurt others, even if you are hurt.
  • Hand-in-hand, hand in Truth.
  • One hour of meditation is better than seventy years of piety.
  • The greatest book to read is the human being.
  • Be connected to your religion with your heart, not with your knees.
  • Educate your women, a nation that doesn't educate its women cannot progress.[33]
  • Prophets and saints are a gift from God to mankind.
  • Our path is based on the akhlaq of Muhammad and the adab of Ali.
  • The basis of Islam is akhlaq, the basis ofakhlaq is knowledge, the basis of knowledge is intellect.
  • Whatever the language, religion or color of one might be, a good human being is a good human being.
  • A man who wastes his time while his heart is full of love for God, is better than a man who reads the Qur'an day and night while his heart is filled with the desire of this world.
  • For those who have Awareness, a hint is quite enough. For the multitudes of heedless, mere knowledge is useless.
  • The Quran is a letter from the Loving One to the beloved.
  • dervish, know that the Quran is the Word of God, and a book that is revealed to the Prophet to appoint him as a messenger to mankind.[34]
  • A dervish should spend all his time with Allah, all his breath should be spent telling about Allah.
  • Doing good in return for evil is essence of being human.
  • Never desire fame, fame is disaster.
  • He who cannot clean himself cannot clean others.
  • First door of those with knowledge is decency.
  • Haqq (Allah) is more visible than the sun.[35]
  • Honesty is the door of a friend.
  • Being a teacher is to give, not to take.
  • The universe is for man, and man for the universe.
  • Science illuminates the paths of truth.
  • We travel in the way of science/knowledge, comprehension and human love.
  • Let’s be one, be big and energetic.
  • In the language of friendly conversation, you can’t discriminate between man and woman.
  • Everything God has created is in order.
  • There is no need to discriminate between religions. Religions cause disputes among people. In fact, all religions aim to provide peace and brotherhood on earth

Hi AleviTurkmenKhorasan,

Do you know any websites in English (or Spanish) where the history and fundamentals of Alevism are discussed? Also, how is the situation of Alevis in Turkey?

Brother, to be honest I could not find any websites in English,  however Alevis in Turkey are regarded as second class citizens

The government are distributing books in schools on how alevi is a nasty faith 

They employ based on faith, we have no rights nor is our place of worship is recognised.

The best information to get is from real alevi dedeleri, ignore the atheist German ones etc

Brother just ask me what you need to know, I can try to contact dedeler etc and translate it for you

Edited by AleviTurkmenKhorasan

Dear brother,

Thnaks for a lot of clarifications about Alevis, I see some presentations based on cemas on youtube and they are very beatiful. Also poetry of Bekhtashi Veli and Alevis poets is so beatiful, even behind the veil of translations. I would like to do you some questions:

1) could you indicate some reliable source about Alevi masters, including, ofc Bekhtash Veli?? (English, French or Spanish)

2) Which is the relation between Alevis and Bekhtasi Order, do alevis recognizes them as Alevis? The same about Qizilbash.

:salam:

On 23/02/2017 at 0:29 AM, hilal_Iskandar_gomes said:

Dear brother,

Thnaks for a lot of clarifications about Alevis, I see some presentations based on cemas on youtube and they are very beatiful. Also poetry of Bekhtashi Veli and Alevis poets is so beatiful, even behind the veil of translations. I would like to do you some questions:

1) could you indicate some reliable source about Alevi masters, including, ofc Bekhtash Veli?? (English, French or Spanish)

2) Which is the relation between Alevis and Bekhtasi Order, do alevis recognizes them as Alevis? The same about Qizilbash.

Dear brother, if I can suggest, many have asked this, and my personal conclusion is that the topic of relationship between Alevi/Qizilbash/Bektashi is a very unclear one and you will probably get different answers according to who is answering.

I consider Alevi as the European/Turkish term for Alaouite : a mix of shiite Islam and other syncretic beliefs which all adopted an esoteric, tariqa-like approach.

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM, hilal_Iskandar_gomes said:

Dear brother,

1/ Hallac-ı Mansur, Ebül Vefa, Ahmet Yesevî, Hüseyin Gazi, Seyyit Battal Gazi, Baba İlyas, Hacı Bektaş Velî, Ahi Evren, Mevlana Celaleddîn Rumî, Sarı Saltuk, Karaca Ahmet, Hıdır Abdal Sultan, Sarı İsmail, Abdal Musa, Şeyh Edebalî, Şeyh Safî, Geyikli Baba, Taptuk Emre, Aşık Paşa, Akyazılı Sultan,Sultan Şucaeddin Velî, Kaygusiz Abdal, Yunus Emre, Kolu Açık Hacım Sultan, Seyit Ali Sultan (Kızıl Deli), Otman Baba, Barak Baba, Hacı Bayram Velî, Fazlullah Hurufî, Seyyid Nesimî, Balım Sultan Pîr Sultan Abdal, Şah İsmail (Hataî), Kalender Çelebî, Oğlan Şeyh etc 

This is just a few, Alevîlik is Turkic Islam tasavuuf with love of Ahlibeyt

for examples Dedeler were still in Turkic culture  before Islam (Dede Korkut), they did not accept Abbasid and Ummayad Islam, when Əhli-beyt came to Turkic tribes, their was marriage and Aləvî was born.

2) Bəktaşî and Aləvî is the same, same belief, same structure etc 

Aləvi is bloodline 

Bəktaşî anyone can be but have to accepted by an Aləvî Dede 

Basicall 100 years ago we were known as kizilbaş, not Alevis, the term Aləvî was given to us past 100 years

Kizilbaş is a 5000 year old Turkic thing but also used by şah ismayıl Xətai for Turkic tribes 

Ottomans also used it as an insult, they even called Turkmens donkeys 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.alevi.dk/ENGELSK/Turkish_Alevis_Today.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjG0Mn1zLHSAhVLJ8AKHay3AcsQFggpMAY&usg=AFQjCNGqMPl1vHZqdrr908yRGE44KOud_g&sig2=NN9vOyxeHtwJ-Zf0UJetN

Btw they got the Kurdish kizilbaş wrong

As kizilbaş is a Turkic word 

Also those areas are Turkmen areas as confirmed by dedes and their seçere 

Thanks a lot Brother, very useful information at the links. I read Trix´book about Baba Rexeb and I think he was a very impressive spiritual leader. Very clear about the distintion Alevi/Bekhtashi. It is amazing they have a very important role in the formation of two high culture languages - Turkish and Albanese - giving them their literary forms.

Just one aditional info. Is this site reliable: http://www.bektashiorder.com/ ?

I believe because Sari Saltuk (Türkmen alevi) teached albanians with the their own books via Bible to convert them

Belief system is the same however not everyone can be an Aləvî but Bəktaşî 

Balım Sultan(Türkmən Aləvî), started the Bəktaşî tarikat

Hacı Bektaş Veli grandchild Veliyettin Ulusoy sits above everyone, one word from him will uprise Alevis in Turkey, his grandpa Cemalettin Ulusoy gathered all Alevis in Turkey to fight against enemies at independence war 

Veliyettin Ulusoy also has a wife Arife Ana. These are the true Aləvî Bəktaşîs   

Which is why we love ATATÜRK

For a Bəktaşî to be a Baba or an elder such as aan Mürşit, they have to be accepted by an Aləvî Dede (Seyyid)

On Mon Mar 13 2017 at 3:01 PM, hilal_Iskandar_gomes said:

Thanks again, brother. There are so much fake sites about everything so one need to get safe references on the reliable one. You help me a lot. Jazakallah Khair.

https://www.alevibektasi.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=46&Itemid=69

Great site, a professor too