Gaius I. Caesar

What do I need to do before going to the UK?

:salam:

Dear brothers and sisters,

I have considered moving to the UK soon to study, I have not applied to uni yet because I don't have a visa and passport yet. (Yanks need a visa and passport to apply.) I have considered a source of income, price of my flight ticket, plan on arranging disability services for uni. Been looking for a ground floor apartment or studio in Leicester/ Leicestershire area. Might consider a park home, although it might be really risky, I don't know what they are like across the pond. The ones in the US are pretty scary places sometimes and I speak experience. I also like that I can get a disability pass for riding a train or bus, although I probably won't use it often. Could you Britons tell me whether or not, I can apply for the Meals on Wheels program and what is this tv license business? In the US, there is no such thing and I am rather unsure as to what make of it? Is there anything that I left out when considering things? Anything I should be aware of? I am not sure what to write, so I'll stop here. Your advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

42 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

and what is this tv license business?

A tv licence is required for all households that have the ability to receive broadcast television, but it's not a big deal about US$150. It pays for the BBC. You can wriggle out of it by saying you don't have a TV and that you only watch pre-recorded tv (or some such). Usually it isn't worth the hassle and people pay the money.

In terms of provisions for disability, your best bet would be to ask the university where you are applying in terms of the facilities that they have. Universities are likely to have on-site accommodation and may have specially adapted housing for disabled students.

Also, the Students' Union of that university will have a disabilities officer (or some other more politically correct title), whose job it is to advise.

AFAIK, meals on wheels are delivered by local authorities to local residents (usually the elderly) incapable of feeding themselves. But even if you are not eligible for this, there are lots of take-away delivery services from private fast food places and restaurants.

5 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Could you Britons tell me whether or not, I can apply for the Meals on Wheels program and what is this tv license business?

Salam Gaius,

Even if you wouldn't be eligible for Meals on Wheels, all the big supermarkets do home delivery which is what me and my housemates do as it saves a 20 minute walk to town and then back again. :) 

3 hours ago, zainabamy said:

Salam Gaius,

Even if you wouldn't be eligible for Meals on Wheels, all the big supermarkets do home delivery which is what me and my housemates do as it saves a 20 minute walk to town and then back again. :) 

:ws:  Amy

Nice, any halal supermarkets do this?  Another question, why is it that most cars for sale in the UK are manual transmission? Is there a reason behind this, am I curious about this.

9 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

:ws:  Amy

Nice, any halal supermarkets do this?  Another question, why is it that most cars for sale in the UK are manual transmission? Is there a reason behind this, am I curious about this.

I've heard that Ocado has a halal range. Bigger supermarkets like Tesco have certain things that halal but not all.

With regards to cars, I think its because Manual cars are cheaper to run than Automatics. But there's positives and negatives to both really. 

Hi Gaius

if you are moving to leicester/ birmingham area thats khoja central, you wont need to worry about availability of halal food/ halal food delivery etc. just pop into the khoja masjid and have a chat with someone there. 

On 6/1/2016 at 3:41 AM, Haji 2003 said:

A tv licence

I'm American, in the US ( not sure about Canadians), it is license. Licence or license, you knew what I was talking about.

On 6/1/2016 at 0:16 PM, zainabamy said:

I've heard that Ocado has a halal range. Bigger supermarkets like Tesco have certain things that halal but not all.

Ocado does have a nice selection, interesting to see a Jamaican jerk line that is halal.

On 6/1/2016 at 0:49 PM, DigitalUmmah said:

f you are moving to leicester/ birmingham area thats khoja central, you wont need to worry about availability of halal food/ halal food delivery etc. just pop into the khoja masjid and have a chat with someone there. 

Ok, I'll try that if I can. Sounds good to me. 

22 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I'm American, in the US ( not sure about Canadians), it is license. Licence or license, you knew what I was talking about.

u wot m8?

you cum 2 are country, you speak are LANGUGE! I swear on me mum

8 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Ok, explain what a chav is? I am unfamiliar with British slang. I'm assuming it's short for chauvinist but probably men something else in the slang.

They are ill-mannered ruffians (usually white males between 18-25 – but they can be female too) with poor fashion sense, and can be easily identified through their fake designer track-suits. The chav is usually uneducated and/or unemployed, so don’t be surprised if you come across one and find that his/her vocabulary is limited to: ‘U wot m8’, ‘Oi u, got a fag (cigarette)?’, ‘innit’, ‘bruv’, and other vulgar language’ --- all spoken in a ‘chav accent’. Sometimes you’ll see them with their hands in their track-suit bottoms (not in their pockets) – they think it’s cool.

1399238388836.jpg

I live in an area in Birmingham which is predominantly Paki-populated, so don't have much experience with them. Inshallah you'll never be so unfortunate as to meet these plebs in person. If you do then pay them no heed. They are insignificant pebbles in the face of Gaius I. Caesar.