sefket83

Imam Mahdi (a.s) is not Messiah?

Rate this topic

Based on shia sources Isa (a.s) will come back also Mahdi (a.s) together they will win over evil and rule the earth. I believe Isa (a.s) will be the King for all humans both physically and spiritually. Why would a previous messenger and prophet (a.s) follow a saint?

Peace belivers in truth

First it is important to understand the concept of a Messiah. Messiah comes from the Hebrew word Moshiach and the Arabic word Messih, and it means "anointed one". In the way that kings and consecrated objects were anointed with oils, the scriptures talk of those whom God has anointed for sanctity and authority. In the Old Testament, the word "messiah" has been used to describe King David (2 Samuel 23:1), the Persian King Cyrus (Isaiah 24:38), and even inanimate objects.

Most notably, the Jewish scriptures (both the OT and other scriptures) talks of the messiahs to come in the End Times. Polymessianism is the idea that God will send multiple divinely-anointed figures, which was the dominant belief in Judaism before the medieval period. In the Dead Sea Scrolls and Zohar, the Jews understood that there would be two categories of eschatological Messiahs: the priestly and the kingly. The priestly are referred to as Messiah ben Joseph and Messiah ben Cohen, and the kingly is referred to as Messiah ben David.

The former, Messiah ben Joseph, is understood to be a figure or a line of figures who are righteous, meek, and suffering. The latter, Messiah ben David, is the kingly ruler in the End Times who would bring the world to monotheism and establish justice. The two go hand-in-hand, and both are part of the redemptive process. As you may know, Judaism holds the idea of dual authority: Moses was the political head and Aaron was his vizier, and likewise, the Jewish Kings had prophets underneath them who worked as their ministers and priests.

God's religion is one, but in what we call Judaism and Islam, there are a few points of contrast with what is called Christianity. The belief in polymessianism is one: the Quran calls Jesus (as) the descendant of Aaron (19:28), and that is hinted in the Gospels as well (Luke 2:4). In other words, Jesus and Mary came from a priestly Levi family, who were to be spiritual devotees to God. Since Jesus did not have a father, his lineage through his mother would make him a candidate to be the Messiah ben Cohen. This fits with Islamic eschatology, because Jesus is expected to return to rule alongside the Mahdi, who would be the Davidic Messiah. The head of God's utopia would be the Mahdi, while Jesus will be his deputy and his minister. Even in the New Testament, Jesus did not advertise himself as a king of this world ("my kingdom is not of this world"), but rather, a divine Servant of God.

Jesus is a beautiful figure in Islam. In our literature, Jesus emphasizes asceticism, spirituality, and the purification of our intention in seeking God.

Thank you for such information. In the wise Quran God mentions Solomon (a.s) only by his name while he was the most powerful human King ever and forever. He was son of David (a.s) but never named Messiah by God. While you state that the last Messiah will be from the line of David (a.s) this I hold true but God has not said anything about Jesus (a.s) not coming back thru a natural birth into a pure sayyed family. Since both options are possible (that he will descent as a human from heaven without being born again) I hold it more likely he will be born again naturally to a pious family and because of his status in relation to saint Mahdi (a.s) he will be the King.

However it might be may God make our hearts love truth more then our wishes

There's no evidence that Jesus would be born into a sayyid family, this is conjecture. The hadiths say that he would descend and pray behind the Imam, who is not just a saint, but the designated leader of the Ummah in that age. Since Jesus was a priestly messiah, and his kingdom is not of this world, I don't see why he would need to be a King in this life.

2 hours ago, sefket83 said:

Why would a previous messenger and prophet (a.s) follow a saint?

"And about the Twelve Imams who will succeed him, the Holy Prophet declared:

Awwalona Muhammad - The First one of us is Muhammad

Ausatona Muhammad - The Middle one of us is Muhammad

Aakhirona Muhammad- The Last one of us is Muhammad

Kollona Muhammad Every one of us is Muhammad

i.e. Like the Holy Prophet Muhammad, all the Imams succeeding him, though not as apostles of God, are identical in their being the vicegerents of the Lord, on the earth with the same purity and the excellence, physical and spiritual, gifted to them by their Lord Himself.

http://www.al-islam.org/husayn-saviour-islam-sv-mir-ahmad-ali/divinely-planned-measure-everlasting-guidance-humanity#who-appoints-khalifatullah

59 minutes ago, Qa'im said:

There's no evidence that Jesus would be born into a sayyid family, this is conjecture. The hadiths say that he would descend and pray behind the Imam, who is not just a saint, but the designated leader of the Ummah in that age. Since Jesus was a priestly messiah, and his kingdom is not of this world, I don't see why he would need to be a King in this life.

I accept your argumentation as correct because I base my argumentation on personal experience of Jesus (a.s) being the spiritual and physical King of mankind this is nothing I can use as proof or require a muslim to believe in.

God bless you for your taking time to explain and may he forgive me my arrogance

42 minutes ago, S.M.H.A. said:

"And about the Twelve Imams who will succeed him, the Holy Prophet declared:

Awwalona Muhammad - The First one of us is Muhammad

Ausatona Muhammad - The Middle one of us is Muhammad

Aakhirona Muhammad- The Last one of us is Muhammad

Kollona Muhammad Every one of us is Muhammad

i.e. Like the Holy Prophet Muhammad, all the Imams succeeding him, though not as apostles of God, are identical in their being the vicegerents of the Lord, on the earth with the same purity and the excellence, physical and spiritual, gifted to them by their Lord Himself.

http://www.al-islam.org/husayn-saviour-islam-sv-mir-ahmad-ali/divinely-planned-measure-everlasting-guidance-humanity#who-appoints-khalifatullah

Thank you follower of the praised seal of the Prophets the one whom perfected moral conduct. We know the household of Ahmed (saws) were purified thru the warning Quran and since they followed the sunnah oh the prophets with the best personal conduct they are considered as able to do more good then any other previous human. 

God bless you

On 5/24/2016 at 10:56 PM, sefket83 said:

Based on shia sources Isa (a.s) will come back also Mahdi (a.s) together they will win over evil and rule the earth. I believe Isa (a.s) will be the King for all humans both physically and spiritually. Why would a previous messenger and prophet (a.s) follow a saint?

Peace belivers in truth

Imam Mahdi is the only messiah. Prophet Isa is the spirit of Truth. The Mahdi will come with Prophet Isa means the Imam will come with the spirit of truth.  At least that's how I read prophecies.  This is not the acceptable Shia view, if that was what you were seeking.

4 hours ago, Prince of spacetime said:

Imam Mahdi is the only messiah. Prophet Isa is the spirit of Truth. The Mahdi will come with Prophet Isa means the Imam will come with the spirit of truth.  At least that's how I read prophecies.  This is not the acceptable Shia view, if that was what you were seeking.

Allah the most wise says do not deviate into sects and be proud of your differences. We hold Quran the word of God, people make unintentional mistakes. I hold Isa (a.s) as the spiritual King of humanity but Gud knows best. What function will Isa (a.s) have if he will come strenghtened with the Holy Spirit?

May God have mercy on us

To answer this question, you would need to understand the mandate and scope of the Mission of Prophet Isa[as], and the mandate and scope of the mission of the Seal of the Prophets, Muhammad[pbuhahp].

You would acknowledge that it was a supportive mandate, not Leadership mandate as compared of the one who, not only delivered the Final Version of  the Message but also established a framework for its execution and  implementation in a society/state.

16 hours ago, sefket83 said:

Allah the most wise says do not deviate into sects and be proud of your differences. We hold Quran the word of God, people make unintentional mistakes. I hold Isa (a.s) as the spiritual King of humanity but Gud knows best. What function will Isa (a.s) have if he will come strenghtened with the Holy Spirit?

May God have mercy on us

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I don't believe Prophet Isa will come back in the flesh.  I believe Imam Mahdi is the Son of Man he spoke about and he will come strengthened with the spirit of God.  I'll ask you the same question, what would the function of Prophet Isa be if Imam Mahdi is here to guide us?  Prophet Isa was an imam of his time as well. Imam Mahdi is not just for Muslims, he will reaffirm Prophet Isa's message just as much as Prophet Mohamed's.  Prophet Isa doesn't need to return for the same reasons that Prophet Mohamed doesn't.  Imam Mahdi is the representative of God, and therefore he stands for all prophets of God.  As for deviating into sects, I meant that my opinions are simply just that.  When I said that it wasn't the acceptable Shia view, I meant that the official Shia view have different interpretations and my views might be considered unacceptable according to their doctrines. I didn't mean to say that their views are unacceptable.  I follow the Prophet's household but I don't consider myself Sunni or Shia, my beliefs are different but their my own.  I don't mean to spread any false information or support any sect over another, just telling you the truth for me as I see it.  God knows best. 

On 5/25/2016 at 4:30 AM, Prince of spacetime said:

Brother but doesnt the Quran call Jesus as The Messiah?

On 5/24/2016 at 4:51 AM, Qa'im said:

First it is important to understand the concept of a Messiah. Messiah comes from the Hebrew word Moshiach and the Arabic word Messih, and it means "anointed one". In the way that kings and consecrated objects were anointed with oils, the scriptures talk of those whom God has anointed for sanctity and authority. In the Old Testament, the word "messiah" has been used to describe King David (2 Samuel 23:1), the Persian King Cyrus (Isaiah 24:38), and even inanimate objects.

Most notably, the Jewish scriptures (both the OT and other scriptures) talks of the messiahs to come in the End Times. Polymessianism is the idea that God will send multiple divinely-anointed figures, which was the dominant belief in Judaism before the medieval period. In the Dead Sea Scrolls and Zohar, the Jews understood that there would be two categories of eschatological Messiahs: the priestly and the kingly. The priestly are referred to as Messiah ben Joseph and Messiah ben Cohen, and the kingly is referred to as Messiah ben David.

The former, Messiah ben Joseph, is understood to be a figure or a line of figures who are righteous, meek, and suffering. The latter, Messiah ben David, is the kingly ruler in the End Times who would bring the world to monotheism and establish justice. The two go hand-in-hand, and both are part of the redemptive process. As you may know, Judaism holds the idea of dual authority: Moses was the political head and Aaron was his vizier, and likewise, the Jewish Kings had prophets underneath them who worked as their ministers and priests.

God's religion is one, but in what we call Judaism and Islam, there are a few points of contrast with what is called Christianity. The belief in polymessianism is one: the Quran calls Jesus (as) the descendant of Aaron (19:28), and that is hinted in the Gospels as well (Luke 2:4). In other words, Jesus and Mary came from a priestly Levi family, who were to be spiritual devotees to God. Since Jesus did not have a father, his lineage through his mother would make him a candidate to be the Messiah ben Cohen. This fits with Islamic eschatology, because Jesus is expected to return to rule alongside the Mahdi, who would be the Davidic Messiah. The head of God's utopia would be the Mahdi, while Jesus will be his deputy and his minister. Even in the New Testament, Jesus did not advertise himself as a king of this world ("my kingdom is not of this world"), but rather, a divine Servant of God.

Jesus is a beautiful figure in Islam. In our literature, Jesus emphasizes asceticism, spirituality, and the purification of our intention in seeking God.

So can we refer to The Mahdi as the Messiah? pbuh

On 5/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, MohammadAli1993 said:

So can we refer to The Mahdi as the Messiah? pbuh

You certainly can, and will...Inshallah. It would be helpful if you think of "Messiah ben whoever" as the chosen one of the family of whoever. Similar to how people say the "Qaem of Aal Muhammad" instead of "messiah ben hashem".

From Wikipedia:

HaShem

"HaShem" redirects here. For other people with similar names, see Hashem.

It is common Jewish practice to restrict the use of the names of God to a liturgical context. In casual conversation some Jews, even when not speaking Hebrew, will call God HaShem (השם‎), which is Hebrew for "the Name" (cf. Leviticus 24:11 and Deuteronomy 28:58). Likewise, when quoting from the Tanakh or prayers, some pious Jews will replace Adonai with HaShem. For example, when making audio recordings of prayer services, HaShem[68] will generally be substituted for Adonai.

A popular expression containing this phrase is Baruch HaShem, meaning "Thank God" (literally, "Blessed be 'the Name'").[69]

Now obviously this meaning is not accurate and we can see the context in which "Baruch" was used is consistent with the word "Banu" or "Son of"

From Abarim Publications:

The name Baruch in the Bible (old testament)

There are three men named Baruch in the Bible, but the best known is the son of Neriah, son of Mahseiah, and faithful friend and amanuensis of the prophet Jeremiah. This Baruch's brother Seraiah also worked for Jeremiah. He delivered a message to unspecified recipients in Babylon (Jeremiah 51:59).

The other two Baruchs are:

• A son of Zabbai who worked on the wall after the return from Babylon (Nehemiah 3:30). Nehemiah also mentions a Baruch among the singers of the sealed document (10:6) but most sources equate him with the son of Zabbai.
  • A son of Col-hozeh, who took up residence in Jerusalem after the repairs (Nehemiah 11:5).

I hope this helps.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:52 PM, MohammadAli1993 said:

Brother but doesnt the Quran call Jesus as The Messiah?

Yes, and he was. The issue here is that people confuse prophecies concerning a Son of Mary, with Issa the Son of Mary. In a regular conversation or writings it would be okay to assume these things but when it comes to prophecy interpretation, it is downright careless. But that is just my opinion and to each his own.

2 minutes ago, Prince of spacetime said:

Yes, and he was. The issue here is that people confuse prophecies concerning a Son of Mary, with Issa the Son of Mary. In a regular conversation or writings it would be okay to assume these things but when it comes to prophecy interpretation, it is downright careless. But that is just my opinion and to each his own.

What you do you mean brother, do you mean that the Prophecies even in the Bible is about the Mahdi ajtfs? 

1 minute ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

What you do you mean brother, do you mean that the Prophecies even in the Bible is about the Mahdi ajtfs? 

The Prophet and the Imams are from Banu HaShem. And of course! That is all Prophet Issa spoke of, the Occultation and Return of the King. Muslims would know this if they didn't bend over backwards to make the word "Mahdi" in the Quran mean "Craddle" ;) 

10 minutes ago, Prince of spacetime said:

The Prophet and the Imams are from Banu HaShem. And of course! That is all Prophet Issa spoke of, the Occultation and Return of the King. Muslims would know this if they didn't bend over backwards to make the word "Mahdi" in the Quran mean "Craddle" ;) 

I don't get your point about the cradle part. Read this Ayat brother 

Surah Maryam, Verse 29:
فَأَشَارَتْ إِلَيْهِ قَالُوا كَيْفَ نُكَلِّمُ مَن كَانَ فِي الْمَهْدِ صَبِيًّا

But she pointed to him. They said: How should we speak to one who was a child in the cradle(mahdi) ?
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

What links are there?? 

Before I give you any links, Let me understand where you are at first. Do you see in 19:29 God is saying to us:

"(Mary) "pointed" to Isa, so they asked her: "How can we speak to who was boyish at being in a craddle?"

I added the quotation marks because I am assuming you believe they are implied by the meaning as well, am I correct?

1 hour ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

I don't get your point about the cradle part. Read this Ayat brother 

Surah Maryam, Verse 29:
فَأَشَارَتْ إِلَيْهِ قَالُوا كَيْفَ نُكَلِّمُ مَن كَانَ فِي الْمَهْدِ صَبِيًّا

But she pointed to him. They said: How should we speak to one who was a child in the cradle(mahdi) ?
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

What links are there?? 

And I assume in 3:46 God is saying Jesus was preaching to the people as a baby AND he was able to do so as an adult ?

On 5/14/2017 at 10:49 AM, Prince of spacetime said:

And I assume in 3:46 God is saying Jesus was preaching to the people as a baby AND he was able to do so as an adult ?

وَيُكَلِّمُ النَّاسَ فِي الْمَهْدِ وَكَهْلًا وَمِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ {46}

[Shakir 3:46] And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.

6 hours ago, MohammadAli1993 said:
وَيُكَلِّمُ النَّاسَ فِي الْمَهْدِ وَكَهْلًا وَمِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ {46}

[Shakir 3:46] And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.

Yes I know how it is translated by other "human beings" but I was asking if it made sense to you? This entire verse is completely false. They even went as far as inventing a new "miracle" that even Christians never thought of attributing to Jesus in order to make it work. Here is some the words that have been twisted in their epic effort to distort the truth:

صبي : lacking experience

كهل : a man of wisdom

And if مهد means cradle, then what does مهاد mean?

And before you quote someone else's "opinion" please ask yourself if they have a solid ground to support their position, Because I can defend mine down to the very basic premise that "we exist".

3 hours ago, Prince of spacetime said:

Yes I know how it is translated by other "human beings" but I was asking if it made sense to you? This entire verse is completely false. They even went as far as inventing a new "miracle" that even Christians never thought of attributing to Jesus in order to make it work. Here is some the words that have been twisted in their epic effort to distort the truth:

And before you quote someone else's "opinion" please ask yourself if they have a solid ground to support their position, Because I can defend mine down to the very basic premise that "we exist".

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 45:
إِذْ قَالَتِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ يَا مَرْيَمُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُبَشِّرُكِ بِكَلِمَةٍ مِّنْهُ اسْمُهُ الْمَسِيحُ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ وَجِيهًا فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ وَمِنَ الْمُقَرَّبِينَ

When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with a Word from Him (of one) whose name is the '. Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 46:
وَيُكَلِّمُ النَّاسَ فِي الْمَهْدِ وَكَهْلًا وَمِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ

And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

When you read it in context then it makes sense. Jesus a.s did speak from the cradle which was foretold by Allah to Mary a.s 

So how do u translate this Ayat then 

Really curious 

8 hours ago, Prince of spacetime said:

[19:29] Then she pointed to him. They said: How can we talk to one who is in the cradle, a young boy?
[19:30] He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet,
[19:31] And hath made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and hath enjoined upon me prayer and almsgiving so long as I remain alive,
[19:32] And (hath made me) dutiful toward her who bore me, and hath not made me arrogant, unblest.
[19:33] Peace on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!
[19:34] Such was Jesus, son of Mary: (this is) a statement of the truth concerning which they doubt.
[19:35] It befitteth not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should take unto Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decreeth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is

Here is more evidence that Jesus spoke from the cradle 

On 5/17/2017 at 9:34 AM, MohammadAli1993 said:

[19:29] Then she pointed to him. They said: How can we talk to one who is in the cradle, a young boy?
[19:30] He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet,
[19:31] And hath made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and hath enjoined upon me prayer and almsgiving so long as I remain alive,
[19:32] And (hath made me) dutiful toward her who bore me, and hath not made me arrogant, unblest.
[19:33] Peace on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!
[19:34] Such was Jesus, son of Mary: (this is) a statement of the truth concerning which they doubt.
[19:35] It befitteth not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should take unto Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decreeth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is

Here is more evidence that Jesus spoke from the cradle 

That's not evidence. You simply just restated the point we are debating!

On 5/17/2017 at 4:23 AM, MohammadAli1993 said:

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 45:
إِذْ قَالَتِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ يَا مَرْيَمُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُبَشِّرُكِ بِكَلِمَةٍ مِّنْهُ اسْمُهُ الْمَسِيحُ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ وَجِيهًا فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ وَمِنَ الْمُقَرَّبِينَ

When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with a Word from Him (of one) whose name is the '. Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 46:
وَيُكَلِّمُ النَّاسَ فِي الْمَهْدِ وَكَهْلًا وَمِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ

And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

When you read it in context then it makes sense. Jesus a.s did speak from the cradle which was foretold by Allah to Mary a.s 

So how do u translate this Ayat then 

Really curious 

I read it as: He preached of The Mahdi, full of wisdom, and among the righteous. See how easy that was? No invention of a "miracle" was required. The issue is, you don't want to believe The Mahdi was that big of a Deal and that's fine. But I assure you the Ancients knew otherwise.