Salam alakum 

I'll be moving to Houston soon and I wanted to know where are some  safe places to live. Any addresses of mosques. In general how Houston is for Muslims I don't know anyone in Houston and really need some info about it. 

5 hours ago, Yaimamzaman said:

Salam alakum 

I'll be moving to Houston soon and I wanted to know where are some  safe places to live. Any addresses of mosques. In general how Houston is for Muslims I don't know anyone in Houston and really need some info about it. 

Like most other large, diverse cities, pretty much no-one will care if you're Muslim and they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.  There are also areas with million dollar homes next to ghettos, so it's hard to give an exact area that's "safe to live."  And areas where I grew up that used to be more family friendly, aren't really any longer.

Honestly, if you want a "safe" place to live, just find a mostly white neighborhood and live there.  I'm not racist, but it's the truth.

I don't live in Houston anymore, so can't give any up to date advice.

8 minutes ago, coldcow said:

Honestly, if you want a "safe" place to live, just find a mostly white neighborhood and live there.  I'm not racist, but it's the truth.

Would a reasonable proxy be areas where there is a Whole Foods Market store? The logic is that communities able to support a healthy and organic food store, with a focus on transparency of product sourcing are less likely to be violent.

1 hour ago, hameedeh said:

Sister, I'm sure that you can get in touch with a female teacher at the IEC school and find out about their religious programs and meet other Sisters. InshaAllah soon you will feel more at home. :) 

InshAllah I hope so too. Jazakallah khier for the info 

3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Would a reasonable proxy be areas where there is a Whole Foods Market store? The logic is that communities able to support a healthy and organic food store, with a focus on transparency of product sourcing are less likely to be violent.

Like I said, Houston has areas with million dollar homes next to ghettos, so you could have a Whole Foods frequented by the upper class just a few blocks away from a small chain grocery store or Walmart frequented by the lower class folks.  There has been some sort of "urban revival" stuff going on, and areas that used to not be so great have become a little more trendy places to live.   Those areas are often in the middle of areas that used to be off limits to anyone who didn't want to get shot.  But crime has decreased a lot since I grew up there.

Houston has a very large shia community.

IEC - mostly Iranians and pakistani/indian

IPF - mostly arab and pakistani/indian

Al-Murtaza - mostly pakistani

Al-Ghadeer - mostly indian

AhlulBayt Foundation of America -  - mostly pakistani

Dar-e-Abbas  - mostly pakistani (punjabi)

These are the ones I know of but I think there are a couple more