Islandsandmirrors

"Depression doesn't exist"

Rate this topic

I have some things on my mind that I just have to let out. 

I've been a lurker for a while and have only recently joined and I've noticed a few things. First, I love this forum, I think it's fantastic, but…..

Regarding mental illnesses, some of you, provide ignorant responses and that infuriates me. 

Unfortunately, most people in Muslim countries downplay and deny depression and this is so detrimental to health and wellbeing. People are told to read the Quran more, that they are not religious enough, that they need to have WILLPOWER, that religious individuals (Mu'mins) never get depressed, etc. 

As a person suffering from Bipolar disorder, I know all too well of the lows of depression. And will power does not cure everything. It's ignorant to say so. And depression, not just feeling sad, is a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE, like Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc. And lasts for MORE THAN TWO WEEKS. LEFT UNTREATED, DEPRESSION MAY LINGER FOR MONTHS/YEARS AND EVENTUALLY CAUSE THE PERSON TO HAVE UNCONTROLLABLE SUICIDAL THOUGHTS and/or ACTIONS. My Bipolar disorder, because no one took it seriously enough and in time, caused me to have episodes of psychosis along with Mania and I am a Rapid Cycler. I always had HYPO-manic states of euphoria, high energy, etc., but since the HYPO-MANIA went untreated, it developed into full blown mania. I had weeks of sleepless nights and psychosis. My parents always denied when I was depressed on-and-off since I was a child and even when I felt like dying (I never would commit suicide because I have faith in Allah.) and even when I was diagnosed my parents never thought I was Bipolar UNTIL THEY SAW HOW THE MEDICATIONS AND THERAPY HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE. I no longer feel low and I am able to function without crying at every little thing.

Depression is just like any other illness that requires treatment. If you have pneumonia, you will be given an inhaler to use for a period of time. Failure to do so may require hospitalization. You would go to the doctor and will be given the proper medication. It may take a while to find the right one, but it's so worth it. Depression is no different.

So stop shaming people with depression, people. Try to get medical help. I'm not denying that the Quran and prayer help, but it requires medication and counseling like CBT to truly get your life on track, just like a person with diabetes needs to take insulin and other illnesses. And if anybody wants, feel free to message me. :) 

15 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Regarding mental illnesses, some of you, provide ignorant responses and that infuriates me. 

I completely agree with you on this. I've been a strong proponent of more education towards Depression but sadly the ignorant stereotype still exists.

16 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Unfortunately, most people in Muslim countries downplay and deny depression and this is so detrimental to health and wellbeing. People are told to read the Quran more, that they are not religious enough, that they need to have WILLPOWER, that religious individuals (Mu'mins) never get depressed, etc. 

That's how people with no knowledge or expertise in the field of mental illness reply to people's posts regarding depression. Its a widespread problem on here unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Depression is just like any other illness that requires treatment. If you have pneumonia, you will be given an inhaler to use for a period of time. Failure to do so may require hospitalization. You would go to the doctor and will be given the proper medication. It may take a while to find the right one, but it's so worth it. Depression is no different.

You should read some of the ignorant posts made by amateurs as well as patients not agreeing with their treatment plans. Those amateurs then only reinforce those patients' complaints by saying the medical professionals don't know what they're doing.

18 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

So stop shaming people with depression, people. Try to get medical help. I'm not denying that the Quran and prayer help, but it requires medication and counseling like CBT to truly get your life on track, just like a person with diabetes needs to take insulin and other illnesses. And if anybody wants, feel free to message me. :) 

Inshallah your condition will improve. May Allah guide you back to full mental/physical health.

My cousin suffers from depression and they keep uping his dosage and he tells me he feels emotionless like a robot at times. He also gets heightened urges to commit suicide when he takes it. But then again, if he doesnt take it he gets severe withdrawal symptoms that also make him suicidal. He is bound to these prescriptions for life it seems. He is not advancing, but seems to be stuck.  Perhaps medication is not solution to all sufferers , but it does help some individuals so thats why I wouldn't rule it out.. Also the side effects to these medications are horrendous.

Edited by Miss Wonderful

9 minutes ago, Miss Wonderful said:

My cousin suffers from depression and they keep uping his dosage and he tells me he feels emotionless like a robot at times. He also gets heightened urges to commit suicide when he takes it. But then again, if he doesnt take it he gets severe withdrawal symptoms that also make him suicidal. He is bound to these prescriptions for life it seems. He is not advancing, but seems to be stuck.  Perhaps medication is not solution to all sufferers , but it does help some individuals. Also the side effects to these medications are horrendous....

So sorry of your cousin suffering from depression. Inshallah everything will improve. 

I felt emotionless on a different medication I was on, so I know what that feels like. And I agree on the side effects, but alhamdulilah I'm on a fantastic medication right now and have no longer any side effects. Has your cousin tried changing the medication? 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors
I don't know how to quote yet properly sorry

9 minutes ago, Miss Wonderful said:

@Islandsandmirrors Yes, I think now he's on Valium, and still same side effects

Aww, I'm really sorry :( It took me FOUR medications to finally get the right one that I'm on. (Latuda)

Salams!

I agree 100%. I also was diagnosed with bipolar last year and also went through a bout of depression. I hate it when people say oh just get over it or have faith you shouldn't have depression etc. Id never been the same since then. Im also going through cbt at the moment.  Im actually glad I came across this. Its nice (you know what I mean) to meet someone with similar experiences to me. It would be nice to speak to you on pm sis. InshaAllah.

32 minutes ago, Fresh-imaan said:

Salams!

I agree 100%. I also was diagnosed with bipolar last year and also went through a bout of depression. I hate it when people say oh just over it or have faith you shouldn't have depression etc. Id never been the same since then. Im also going through cbt at the moment.  Im actually glad I came across this. Its nice (you know what I mean) to meet someone with similar experiences to me. It would be nice to speak to you on pm sis. InshaAllah.

Salam Salam! :D 

I went through CBT too. How is it for you? I've also PM'ed you. :D:) <3 

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I've been a lurker for a while and have only recently joined and I've noticed a few things. First, I love this forum, I think it's fantastic, but…..

As a person suffering from Bipolar disorder, I know all too well of the lows of depression. And will power does not cure everything. It's ignorant to say so. And depression, not just feeling sad, is a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE, like Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc. And lasts for MORE THAN TWO WEEKS. LEFT UNTREATED, DEPRESSION MAY LINGER FOR MONTHS/YEARS AND EVENTUALLY CAUSE THE PERSON TO HAVE UNCONTROLLABLE SUICIDAL THOUGHTS and/or ACTIONS. My Bipolar disorder, because no one took it seriously enough and in time, caused me to have episodes of psychosis along with Mania and I am a Rapid Cycler. I always had HYPO-manic states of euphoria, high energy, etc., but since the HYPO-MANIA went untreated, it developed into full blown mania. I had weeks of sleepless nights and psychosis. My parents always denied when I was depressed on-and-off since I was a child and even when I felt like dying (I never would commit suicide because I have faith in Allah.) and even when I was diagnosed my parents never thought I was Bipolar UNTIL THEY SAW HOW THE MEDICATIONS AND THERAPY HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE. I no longer feel low and I am able to function without crying at every little thing.

If I could shake your hand right now, I really would. You my friend are a legend.

2 hours ago, Miss Wonderful said:

@Islandsandmirrors Yes, I think now he's on Valium, and still same side effects

Valium is NOT an anti-depressant.  If he is truly on Valium that could explain part of his problems.  Valium is what is used to detox people from alcohol, because it has a similar action as alcohol.  

Where do you live?  If they've actually tried multiple different anti-depressants from different classes, and tried them at their max dosages before moving onto the next one, then I'd recommend ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).  It's actually quite effective, and not at all what the movies make it out to be.

Or you can do what some people say - eat dates and honey.  It's in hadiths as a medicine, so do that and it'll cure all.  J/k.

JazakAllah for all your posts on depression

People who have not experienced it can never know what it's truly like and they often offer suggestions and advice that may do us more harm than good, it is important that we raise awareness about it.

May Allah bless you

Edited by eloquence

2 hours ago, eloquence said:

JazakAllah for all your posts on depression

People who have not experienced it can never know what it's truly like and they often offer suggestions and advice that may do us more harm than good, it is important that we raise awareness about it.

May Allah bless you

I totally agree that people giving advice on here do more harm than good. That's why I want to raise awareness. Depression and mental illness is what I'm passionate about. Fortunately, in the US, mental illness is becoming less stigmatized and more people are receiving help. 

Thank you. :) You too. :D <3 

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I wish I could make everyone read this forum. Thank youuuu

While what you say is true, it's also important to acknowledge that much of what is now diagnosed as depression is in fact just in the mind, and can be cured with not much more than willpower. It is also the case that most people who are diagnosed with depression are not bipolar, or victims of other major chemical imbalances is the brain (at least prior to taking powerful drugs that may then put them in that state).

Life has its challenges sister and that phrase that psychiatrists often use, that "you will be on medication your whole life," is untrue. I went 5 years almost with no medication, but I was aware that I still had a behavioral illness. I was able to control it during those years, and again, things got worse because of life-changing events, and I am back on them. No problem. Try to think of it like catching a bad cold. You will overcome, don't worry. Thank you for being so brave babe. 

Reading your post was very therapeutic. I suffer from both depression and generalized anxiety. Been on and off medication for the past 5 years. Also been going to CBT sessions for a few years now. No matter how much I read and practice and learn about anxiety, no matter how many skills I acquire in tackling an oncoming episode, I have come to accept that this disease is in fact chronic, which in itself causes more anxiety. One series of Lectures by Brother Khalil Jaffer: The End of Negative Suffering, have been very enlightening in this matter.