Rate this topic

What is the meaning of life?

This is a very important question that every body has to answer it. The question can be posed in different ways: What is the purpose of life? Why we should tolerate all the evils and sufferings in this life? Is it reasonable to continue this life?

Many thinkers have tried to answer to the question. Some believed that there is no meaning in life. Others believe that life is not hallow and meaningless.

But even those who think that life is meaningful, are divided into two groups: 1. Those who believe that we need to God for having a meaningful life 2. others who tried to present an image of meaningful life without reference to God.

What is your idea? Do you think that life is meaningful and if it is so, do we need God for meaningful life?  

Salam

Those who don't worship God will find life meaningful, yet, the best purpose and meaning in life is to worship God and that is what we are created for. In reality everything else is unworthy of a purpose for humans.  And God tries us by a whole system of misguidance called the Taghut, to see, if we truly value God enough to follow and obey him.  He tries us with evil to see if we believe in his right to try us and be patient for his sake, and he tries by good to see if we are grateful and appreciate his favours. It's been my experience that those who want to follow men will use God to follow them and those who want to follow God will eventually look for those who God manifested their purity and exalted status and manifested his favour upon them.

This is an intense trial and it's all to test our sincerity. That said he has put rejecting and avoiding and disbelieving in the Taghut to be one with worshipping God, the Kalima even starts with "there is no god..." that is rejecting anything is to be valued on par with God, "but God". Of course, intellectually it is easy to convince oneself that God is one God, but when it comes to our hearts, what our hearts truly believe ought to be valued, it takes more then intellectual logic to find out there is no one to be valued on par with God.

It takes total detachment to all that is other then God and clinging to those who God appointed, to find true meaning.

It's upon people who value God to find out those who are the elite of humanity and who God distinguished and chosen over the rest. This is because their love of submitting to God and being lead by God. This is because of their realizing their Lord is the one who guides to the truth and is more worthy of being followed then those who are not guided unless God guides them.

This is an intense trial. 

Thank you for your answer

I think if we want to find a true meaning for life, we have no way other than following God. If we look at this material world and consider all the limitations, evils, sufferings, etc. what can lead us to meaning if we don't benefit from the divine light?

So, I am with you that the best way for having meaningful life is to follow God and obey his orders but I seriously doubt the possibility of meaningful life without God.

Do you think it is possible?

That's right. For knowing about the usage of a product, we need to be aware of its manual. Then, we'll be able to use it properly and know it better.

However, I think this question goes beyond this level.

Not only our actions and behaviors but also our insights, understanding and search for meaning depend on a divine grace. If we confine ourselves in this material world, and limit out life to this universe, then finding a meaning for life is very difficult (if not impossible).

If we don't believe in God and the hereafter, what can justify tolerating all these sufferings, evils and problems in our lives?

That is why I think life can be meaningful, if we believe in God because otherwise, there are lots of questions that we can not answer them.

On 4 May 2016 at 10:38 AM, Sajjad1414 said:

What is your idea? Do you think that life is meaningful and if it is so, do we need God for meaningful life?  

Salamun Alaykum,

We do not need God for a meaningful life.    One can live a very meaningfully rich life without having God in his or her heart.  Richard Dawkins is, mashallah, an excellent example.   His life is wonderfully rich with meaning and purpose.  

Edited by eThErEaL

Thank you for taking part in the discussion. 

I think there is a clear difference between claiming and proving. One can claim that his life is meaningful but he should be able to give an image of an ideal life that is meaningful and show how his current life is following that pattern. 

In the other word, What is the definition of meaningful life according to Dawkins? And do you think his definition is sufficient for the concept of "meaningful life"?

1 hour ago, Sajjad1414 said:

I think there is a clear difference between claiming and proving. One can claim that his life is meaningful but he should be able to give an image of an ideal life that is meaningful and show how his current life is following that pattern. 

In the other word, What is the definition of meaningful life according to Dawkins? And do you think his definition is sufficient for the concept of "meaningful life"?

You would have to ask Dawkins  to find out, believers do not have a monopoly on "meaningful" life.

It's a consistent disconnect between most believers and non believers.

The problem is yours if in order to have meaning and be "special" you require "Creators" "perfect beings" and "first causes". The source of my "self-worth" does not need Gods.  
You seem to think that because without God your life has no meaning, then others must also, have a God, who gives meaning to life. That is not so.

I am just fine with being a meaningless spec in the grand scheme of things; a single transient spark which extinguishes itself after a fleeting moment in this universe. 

I have no God that measures my worth, my future, my past, or my right to exist. I simply am. And when I cease to be, then oblivion will be my fate. 
I am that I am, and it is my responsibility to ensure that my future and the future of my loved ones, my planet, and my existence are bettered. 

"Religion is the process of unconscious wish fulfilment, where, for certain people, if the process did not take place it would put them in self-danger of coming to mental harm, being unable to cope with the idea of a godless, purposeless life." (Sigmund Freud)

wslm.

On 5/8/2016 at 5:55 AM, eThErEaL said:

Salamun Alaykum,

We do not need God for a meaningful life.    One can live a very meaningfully rich life without having God in his or her heart.  Richard Dawkins is, mashallah, an excellent example.   His life is wonderfully rich with meaning and purpose.  

As Kant has eloquently put, without God there is no rational reason to be good. Yet we are rationally inclined to be good, therefore there must be more than this life.

http://www.medinaminds.com/proof-god-moral-laws/

15 hours ago, Sajjad1414 said:

Dawkins is passionate about informing everyone that they don't have to believe in things like the invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster.   His entire life is dedicated to disillusioning all those who want to know the truth.  This is what drives him!  It is who he is, it is the meaning of his life!  That is how he helps people.  

Wha else does it mean to live a meaningful life?

On Monday, May 09, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Quisant said:

You would have to ask Dawkins  to find out, believers do not have a monopoly on "meaningful" life.

It's a consistent disconnect between most believers and non believers.

The problem is yours if in order to have meaning and be "special" you require "Creators" "perfect beings" and "first causes". The source of my "self-worth" does not need Gods.  
You seem to think that because without God your life has no meaning, then others must also, have a God, who gives meaning to life. That is not so.

I am just fine with being a meaningless spec in the grand scheme of things; a single transient spark which extinguishes itself after a fleeting moment in this universe. 

I have no God that measures my worth, my future, my past, or my right to exist. I simply am. And when I cease to be, then oblivion will be my fate. 
I am that I am, and it is my responsibility to ensure that my future and the future of my loved ones, my planet, and my existence are bettered. 

"Religion is the process of unconscious wish fulfilment, where, for certain people, if the process did not take place it would put them in self-danger of coming to mental harm, being unable to cope with the idea of a godless, purposeless life." (Sigmund Freud)

wslm.

I am sure Freud felt a meaning with writing those words.

23 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Dawkins is passionate about informing everyone that they don't have to believe in things like the invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster.   His entire life is dedicated to disillusioning all those who want to know the truth.  This is what drives him!  It is who he is, it is the meaning of his life!  That is how he helps people.  

The Universe caused this meaning in him is his reality.

Anyway.. i am not really an Atheist.. but also not really a Theist.  These categories are meaningless to me.

For those who identify themselves with theism, and who have tried to prove to me what they believe in... I find their arguments so weak that I find it useless to respond.

Just wanted to say  that.

Thanks

Ethereal

31 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Anyway.. i am not really an Atheist.. but also not really a Theist.  These categories are meaningless to me.

For those who identify themselves with theism, and who have tried to prove to me what they believe in... I find their arguments so weak that I find it useless to respond.

Just wanted to say  that.

Thanks

Ethereal

Whats the meaning with your life?

On 5/10/2016 at 3:55 AM, eThErEaL said:

I guess thats why there is la illaha first. A rejection of all the nonsense theories about god and gods , and then just Allah. 

Some points:

- I think there is a misunderstanding about what I said.

I didn't mean to defend all traditional religion in one post. That is simply impossible. I am not discussing about religious beliefs, rituals etc. My question was clear. Is it possible/ consistent to have meaningful life without believing in "god" and "life after death".

- There are some religious ideas that we may or may not find it Convincing but the question is in more basic level. If we don't believe in God and life after death, how can we imagine a meaningful life? How can we justify all the suffering that exist in life which make our lives really difficult. If we don't believe that there is life after death and that there is a god who will Compensate all the suffering we have in this life, how can we tolerate all the problems in this life?

- If we present an image of life that is confined to material world, how can we talk about virtues that goes beyond material? How can we continue a life which is full of disappointments, suffering, illness, losses, etc.

In materialistic view of world, it is really difficult (if not impossible) to depict harmonic image but if we believe in God and life after death,  we have a good explanation that can make our lives meaningful.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:38 PM, Sajjad1414 said:

What is the meaning of life?

This is a very important question that every body has to answer it. The question can be posed in different ways: What is the purpose of life? Why we should tolerate all the evils and sufferings in this life? Is it reasonable to continue this life?

Many thinkers have tried to answer to the question. Some believed that there is no meaning in life. Others believe that life is not hallow and meaningless.

But even those who think that life is meaningful, are divided into two groups: 1. Those who believe that we need to God for having a meaningful life 2. others who tried to present an image of meaningful life without reference to God.

Very interesting question brother,

We have experienced our life & the life present on earth in different forms, heard about other forms of life.

Our definition of life therefore will be very limited to our observations e.g., anything which can grow, which can reproduce or other functional activities or any condition which can distinguish between animal, plant from inorganic matter etc. Even this is not the definition of life, this can be said as properties of living systems. 

Now if we consider what we have heard about different forms of life, the problem starts from there e.g., Jinn are made from fire or heat. How would be that form of life which originated from fire or heat? We cannot define this.

Another form of life is Allah Himself who is Al-Haye (Ever-Living), He is Al-Awwal (first) & He is Al-Akhir (last), He neither begets nor is He begotten. He is the beginning & He is the end, How can we perceive His life! For Him, everything is living, busy in His hamd & tasbeeh.

One can only try to define this worldly life (Hayatudduniya) as the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional plant or animal from a dead body, or as a state of living characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction.

Scientists have tried to define our worldly life as the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional plant or animal from a dead body or as a state of living characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction. This definition will be revised definitely when they observe alien life for which they don't have any observation or knowledge.

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 9:55 AM, eThErEaL said:

Salamun Alaykum,

Ohh Yes, the pumpkin & napkin brothers, i mean dawkin & hawking, they know the outward of this worlds life, but of the hereafter they are absolutely heedless.