Jump to content
strangelove

Honor Killing in Pakistan

Recommended Posts

MODERATOR'S NOTE:  WARNING - GRAPHIC VIDEO 

Saw this video today on facebook. Thought I'd share it here.

Link to the video : 

Description of the video 
"This is 16 year old Sumaira, who was stabbed multiple times on her neck, chest and back and left bleeding to die on the steps of her house. 
Her 20 year old bother Hayat Khan (sicko in purple in the video) did this to her to save his "honor" because he had caught her talking to a man on her cellphone.
The anti-honor killing law which was created to prevent such horrific murders (of women) from happening is the one of the many opposed by all the religious parties and so called scholars in Pakistan.

(The police has arrested the murderer themselves without any formal report from the families so that later on they can't take it back due to pressure or forgive the savage.) "



The guys in the video are talking in Pashto. Since I speak Pashto, I'll translate what they are saying, though I don't think it's that necessary.

Guy 1 : Leave this thing [don't know what they are talking about] and put her in a car or something so that we can take her
Guy 2 : It's[The car] coming! It's coming.
*horn honks in the background*
Guy 3 : I think the car is here.

 

 

This is a pretty big issue in the villages and backward areas of Pakistan especially in the Pashtun culture. What really makes my blood boil is that these people use Islam to defend themselves when they do all this out of completely selfish reasons such as their own "dignity' and "honor" being tarnished in the eyes of others.

And the other thing is the perpetrator is just sitting there and no one is really saying anything. They're acting like there is nothing wrong with what he did

Edited by starlight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strangelove said:

What really makes my blood boil is that these people use Islam to defend themselves when they do all this out of completely selfish reasons such as their own "dignity' and "honor" being tarnished in the eyes of others.

It is completely UnIslamic and forbidden by the Sharia honor killings in the Muslim world actually started in the 1800's for more on what I mean see this video:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

It is completely UnIslamic and forbidden by the Sharia honor killings in the Muslim world actually started in the 1800's for more on what I mean see this video:

 

I think it's ancient asian culture , cuz it is present in ancient china before their communist party try to destroy all the religious and oldest traditions in china , same for japan the samurai honor killing/suicide , and even in korea where the queen would drink poison to keep her husband the king honor , or the daughter who got raped kill herself to safe the family honor , their is many examples of honor killing in asia cultures , and in india hindus used to burn the wife with her deceased husband to protect her husband honor and that she not marry again , cuz hindus only marry for one time .

it's not islamic , it's either remenet of their old tradition or just culture .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sakura1994 said:

it's not islamic , it's either remenet of their old tradition or just culture

You are right.

Have you seen the video by the way? It shows that in Middle Eastern countries honor killings were actually adopted from French and British common law particularly those segments that had a "crime of passion" i.e. in the 1800's to 1900's Europeans had very oppressive and patriarchal rules towards women in this case if a man was angry or under set of particular emotions that impaired his judgement it was seen as a "crime of passion."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's absolutely horrific how low humans can get. It's ridiculous how little progress is being made on an international scale about the issue. The documentary that won an Oscar this year, "A Girl in The River: The Price of Forgiveness" is about honor killing in Pakistan. I think the more people are aware of the issue the more pressure there will be for change. I haven't been able to get a hold of the documentary myself to watch but I highly recommend anyone who can to watch it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Holy Qur'an 4:93And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his punishment is hell; he shall abide in it, and Allah will send His wrath on him and curse him and prepare for him a painful chastisement.

Murder

The fifth Greater Sin is the murder of that person whose execution has not been ordered by Allah (S.w.T.) and the Holy Prophet (S). 

http://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fifth-greater-sin-murder#murder

Clearly, a person accused of wrongdoing or a crime must undergo an arraignment and a trial then a judge or jury would decide innocence or guilt. Islam has laws and regulations that must follow procedure. To become a vigilante and murder people is not allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sakura1994 said:

I think it's ancient asian culture , cuz it is present in ancient china before their communist party try to destroy all the religious and oldest traditions in china , same for japan the samurai honor killing/suicide , and even in korea where the queen would drink poison to keep her husband the king honor , or the daughter who got raped kill herself to safe the family honor , their is many examples of honor killing in asia cultures , and in india hindus used to burn the wife with her deceased husband to protect her husband honor and that she not marry again , cuz hindus only marry for one time .

it's not islamic , it's either remenet of their old tradition or just culture .

 

10 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

It is completely UnIslamic and forbidden by the Sharia honor killings in the Muslim world actually started in the 1800's

Exactly. It's just a part of the culture and it has nothing to do with Islam. But these people will use Islam as a defense(and even make up stuff about Islam) to say that women are not allowed to do such things and thus killing her wasn't wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya Allah ! these devils need to be castrated for what they have done ! how could he kill his own sister like that?!! even if my sister was to commit whatever sin it is between her and Allah swt my honor has nothing to do with it , these sickos are the same child molesting, Isis joining war mongers , they have a deep rooted blood lust , they are beyond sick and i feel as their is no cure for their kind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Enlightened Follower said:

You are right.

Have you seen the video by the way? It shows that in Middle Eastern countries honor killings were actually adopted from French and British common law particularly those segments that had a "crime of passion" i.e. in the 1800's to 1900's Europeans had very oppressive and patriarchal rules towards women in this case if a man was angry or under set of particular emotions that impaired his judgement it was seen as a "crime of passion."

Dont know where this guy is coming from sometimes - he makes some really odd connections and then presents them as fact.  

Honour killing is in the Christian bible (and the Judaic books too I believe) and has been around for millennia before the 1800's.  It is a cultural tradition that is so deeply rooted in the psyche of those in the east that it is reflected in the common law codes.  It has nothing to do with Islam; it is just that culture and Islam are so enmeshed that you cant see one for the other sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Maryaam said:

Dont know where this guy is coming from sometimes - he makes some really odd connections and then presents them as fact.  

Honour killing is in the Christian bible (and the Judaic books too I believe) and has been around for millennia before the 1800's.  It is a cultural tradition that is so deeply rooted in the psyche of those in the east that it is reflected in the common law codes.  It has nothing to do with Islam; it is just that culture and Islam are so enmeshed that you cant see one for the other sometimes.

Actually many Hindus also abide by it so it is not a Biblical thing.

What I was getting at is the Sharia punishes any acts of "Honor" killings as they are seen as abhorrent as the scholar indicated. As Muslims began to secularize and adopt legal traditions from Western powers it became encapsulated into their culture.

Edited by Enlightened Follower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Enlightened Follower said:

Actually many Hindus also abide by it so it is not a Biblical thing.

What I was getting at is the Sharia punishes any acts of "Honor" killings as they are seen as abhorrent as the scholar indicated. As Muslims began to secularize and adopt legal traditions from Western powers it became encapsulated into their culture.

It was very much entrenched culturally loooooong before Western powers invaded, etc, or shared legal traditions. In fact, it is something that has been actively prosecuted by western common law and not ignored as it is in other parts of the world. 

I didn't mean it was JUST a biblical thing - I was giving examples to show that it had been part of the culture of the east for millenia... 

And it is in the Christian bible - it is written in the bible verse, Deuteronomy 22:21, that it is permitted to stone a woman to death if the groom thought her not to be a virgin on her wedding - thereby dishonouring him and her father.  Just ... even if she has thought to be a non virgin - no proof of pregnancy etc.....  Also:  Leviticus 21:9  "If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire."

Honour (or "dishonour killings" would be more accurate) are still active, accepted, acquiesced to, and have little to no effective accountability in the East. The murderers are allowed to be "forgiven by the family" and are released after their pseudo-imprisonment. It is the ancient way; it was not introduced nor encapsulated by the West, and it is not going away anytime soon.  

There are people who move to the West and really think they can do that here as they can in their homeland. I am sure some cover it up quite well, so probably more goes on then we know about.  Some, like the wealthy Afghani immigrant father and son who mudered one wife and 3 or 4 daughters in Ontario by pushing their car into a canal, were  not so lucky and were convicted and imprisoned on lengthy sentences - well....lengthy for Canada, that is. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.businessinsider.com/honor-killing-in-pakistan-2016-5?ref=yfp

The 16-year-old girl was set on fire last week in the town of Donga Gali, about 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the capital, Islamabad, on the orders of the council, said district police chief Saeed Wazir.

Police said the honor killing was ordered as punishment for what the council deemed irreparable damage to the village's reputation. The couple appeared to have escaped.

The girl's mother and brother were also arrested, Wazir said, as they were present during the meeting and allegedly agreed to the sentence.

Jirgas, or tribal councils, are often called in Pakistan's northwestern regions as a means of local conflict resolution, but their edicts have no legal standing under Pakistani law.

The girl's mother told police her daughter had helped a couple from the nearby village of Makol elope, in defiance of cultural norms.

"The jirga then took her to an abandoned place outside the village and made her unconscious by injecting her with some drugs," said Wazir.

"Then they seated the girl in a van in which the couple had escaped. They tied her hands to the seats and then poured petrol on her and the vehicle."

The vehicle was set ablaze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×