Sam30

If God knows the future, doesn't that mean we have no free will?

Rate this topic

Assalamu Alakyom

Since i was a kid i have been told that God knows the future and everything that will occur. But doesn't that mean our future is already decided/known and we can't control it? If not i would like to know more about this.

20284692549_a5b8e9735b_o.jpg

Allah knows everything , what you hide and what you display , .. their is always many paths for the future , Allah know what you will do but he still give you the freedom to choose which path you want to take . 

so Allah know what you gonna do but he doesn't interfere with your will to do it .

Allah knows the future of what you will do and everything about you, But the action of disobedience that led you to hell or the action of obedience that led you to heaven came from your free will. god knows whats going to happen, but you are the one doing it, god doesnt force you to.

23 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

20284692549_a5b8e9735b_o.jpg

Allah knows everything , what you hide and what you display , .. their is always many paths for the future , Allah know what you will do but he still give you the freedom to choose which path you want to take . 

so Allah know what you gonna do but he doesn't interfere with your will to do it .

7 minutes ago, Tushi said:

Allah knows the future of what you will do and everything about you, But the action of disobedience that led you to hell or the action of obedience that led you to heaven came from your free will. god knows whats going to happen, but you are the one doing it, god doesnt force you to.

So by this you both mean that God does know what my destiny is according to what path i have chosen now, but i have the choice to change it?

Salam 

Sometimes, we make our answers complicated and ignore the the basic information we have!

Dear @Sam30, free will is self evident and needs no evidence. You go after what you desire and run away from what you fear. 

On the other hand, It is also self evidence that Allah (the unlimited existence) has no shortcomings and ...

If we can not understand two facts together, it doesn't mean that we should ignore both of them.

Lets be honest, there are so much things we don't know ...

3 hours ago, Sam30 said:

So by this you both mean that God does know what my destiny is according to what path i have chosen now, but i have the choice to change it?

yeah , that's why Allah say he forgive those who repent  and repent doors are always open so the sinners can go back from the wrong path and go into the right path . الله غفور رحيم  , كل ابن ادم خطاء وخير الخطائيين التوابيين 

5 hours ago, Sam30 said:

god already knows what your choice will be, even if you change it, he already knew you would have changed it.

On 27/04/2016 at 3:16 PM, Sam30 said:

Assalamu Alakyom

Since i was a kid i have been told that God knows the future and everything that will occur. But doesn't that mean our future is already decided/known and we can't control it? If not i would like to know more about this.

Allah ( SWT ) has already drawn a domain of your every action. Such as what will happen if you choose among various options so he already knows where you gonna end in event of any choice and He is already there before you choose because He measured and placed outcome for every act and you have to choose which outcome you like to have for you. We all are walking in His realm wherever we go, He is there. But choice is yours whether you want him to give you rewards or punishment.

Here's an analogy. If I know how the story goes in a book, that doesn't remove the author's right and ability to write the story before I read it. Similarly, God knowing how our story goes does not take away our free will. 

6 minutes ago, notme said:

Here's an analogy. If I know how the story goes in a book, that doesn't remove the author's right and ability to write the story before I read it. Similarly, God knowing how our story goes does not take away our free will. 

It's logic not analogy, there can be infinite many ways to write your own story and God knows that all.

13 minutes ago, Danish14 said:

It's logic not analogy, there can be infinite many ways to write your own story and God knows that all.

There are infinitely many ways any author can write any story. God knows our stories even when we don't.

On 4/27/2016 at 2:46 PM, Sam30 said:

Assalamu Alakyom

:salam:

I haven't read the comments above, I am a bit lazy in reading comments :D so forgive me if what I am going to say is repetitive.

Some expert teachers know which one of their students succeed and which one of them fail, some of these teachers even predict the mark of each student in exams. Despite knowing the student's succession and failure, he/she will give them the final exam just for the students to know, to prevent them from having further excuses to prove them who they are.

Allah(swt) knows who we are and what we believe, it is we who needs to be proven to ourselves. A good example of this case is Zobair ibn Awam, he was once a devoted follower of Imam Ali(as) and Imam Ali said about him:" Zobair was about to become one of us, one of Ahlulbayt." just like Salman Farsi who became one of Ahlulbayt a rank that no other Shia has ever reached beside Ahlulbayt(as), What happened Zobair climbed the ladder of redemption but it wasn't him who he was, and his inner truth was revealed when his son grew up, Zobair drew sword against Imam Ali(as) and doomed to hell. Allah(swt) knew where he belonged from the very beginning but did Zobair believed so?  Definitely not, so he was given the chance to prove himself.

Another example is about another guy you all know: Shimr ibn Dhi'l-Jawshan, he was injured in the war of Safain for Imam Ali(as), years later he killed Imam Hussain(as). Consider the stroke that injured Shimr, if it was harder instead of cursed Shimr people used this to call him: martyr Shimr, but it wasn't who he was so Allah(swt) kept him alive to be who he is.

Hor Ibn Riahee is the best example, he prevented Imam Hussain(as) from reaching Kufa or leaving to another destination, he was doomed to hell but it wasn't who he was so in the last moment he went to Imam Hussain(as) and martyred for him.

7 minutes ago, Hidaren said:

:salam:

I haven't read the comments above, I am a bit lazy in reading comments :D so forgive me if what I am going to say is repetitive.

Some expert teachers know which one of their students succeed and which one of them fail, some of these teachers even predict the mark of each student in exams. Despite knowing the student's succession and failure, he/she will give them the final exam just for the students to know, to prevent them from having further excuses to prove them who they are.

Allah(swt) knows who we are and what we believe, it is we who needs to be proven to ourselves. A good example of this case is Zobair ibn Awam, he was once a devoted follower of Imam Ali(as) and Imam Ali said about him:" Zobair was about to become one of us, one of Ahlulbayt." just like Salman Farsi who became one of Ahlulbayt a rank that no other Shia has ever reached beside Ahlulbayt(as), What happened Zobair climbed the ladder of redemption but it wasn't him who he was, and his inner truth was revealed when his son grew up, Zobair drew sword against Imam Ali(as) and doomed to hell. Allah(swt) knew where he belonged from the very beginning but did Zobair believed so?  Definitely not, so he was given the chance to prove himself.

Another example is about another guy you all know: Shimr ibn Dhi'l-Jawshan, he was injured in the war of Safain for Imam Ali(as), years later he killed Imam Hussain(as). Consider the stroke that injured Shimr, if it was harder instead of cursed Shimr people used this to call him: martyr Shimr, but it wasn't who he was so Allah(swt) kept him alive to be who he is.

Hor Ibn Riahee is the best example, he prevented Imam Hussain(as) from reaching Kufa or leaving to another destination, he was doomed to hell but it wasn't who he was so in the last moment he went to Imam Hussain(as) and martyred for him.

Well said Haidaren, may Allah  (SWT ) save us all from ignorance including me coz I'm weakest of all and include us among the followers of Ahle bait a.s. Ameen 

5 minutes ago, Danish14 said:

Well said Haidaren, may Allah  (SWT ) save us all from ignorance including me coz I'm weakest of all and include us among the followers of Ahle bait a.s. Ameen 

You are not the weakest, dear friend, I am the weakest.

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Hidaren said:

You are not the weakest, dear friend, I am the weakest.

Who knows maybe I just do good because I am tired of life, if I loved it more maybe I would be greedy and evil. Allah (swt) knows. But when your angry then seek refuge and remember Allah much, take wudhu, perform salah, calm down by liying down atleast It seems I know something.

On 4/27/2016 at 6:16 AM, Sam30 said:

Assalamu Alakyom

The more important question to ask is what it could possibly mean for God to have freewill since He knows everything (that He will do)!  how about we ask that question (if it is at all meaningful for anyone)...

Edited by eThErEaL

6 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

The more important question to ask is what it could possibly mean for God to have freewill since He knows everything (that He will do)!  how about we ask that question (if it is at all meaningful for anyone)...

When Allah already knows the future. Does the teaching and guidance by Prophets and Awlias change the destination of person .

If Allah has already knowledge a given person is going to be he'll. Is any body who can save him.

In other words does it mean Allah had destined him to he'll. 

21 minutes ago, islam25 said:

When Allah already knows the future. Does the teaching and guidance by Prophets and Awlias change the destination of person .

If Allah has already knowledge a given person is going to be he'll. Is any body who can save him.

In other words does it mean Allah had destined him to he'll. 

Can God, or Could God possibly do something other than what He knows from eternity to be the case?  Does this mean God Himself doesn't have freewill?

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

Can God, or Could God possibly do something other than what He knows from eternity to be the case?  Does this mean God Himself doesn't have freewill?

That is not answer to my question. Allah knowing a given number of persons are going into he'll. Can guidance by Prophets change destiny. 

Is it equivalent to Allah had destined them to be in he'll. 

2 hours ago, islam25 said:

That is not answer to my question. Allah knowing a given number of persons are going into he'll. Can guidance by Prophets change destiny. 

Is it equivalent to Allah had destined them to be in he'll. 

I am sorry for not trying to answer your question,

The answer is that if God knows something from eternity then that is what will happen.  So if you and I are known, in God's eternal knowledge, to be in Hell, then that means we are destined to be in Hell and there is nothing we can do to "change" what is in His knowledge.  I hope that helps you inshallah.   

40 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

I am sorry for not trying to answer your question,

The answer is that if God knows something from eternity then that is what will happen.  So if you and I are known, in God's eternal knowledge, to be in Hell, then that means we are destined to be in Hell and there is nothing we can do to "change" what is in His knowledge.  I hope that helps you inshallah.   

This is dangerous information with similar ramifications. Then justice of Allah will be questioned. 

Second why some one with limited sins in limited time will remain in he'll for eternal. 

Just now, islam25 said:

Second why some one with limited sins in limited time will remain in he'll for eternal. 

Because that person does not go "into" Hell.  Rather he is constituted of his own Hell. He is made up of the very Hell he will experience.  It is part of his essence.