Ruq

Surprisingly Haram Food List

Rate this topic

Salam to all,

If you find a product that you wouldnt normally expect to have a haram ingredient in (like gelatin) has one, you can post it on this thread to alert people. Today i discovered Philadelphia Sensations black and green olive spread:

7622210396976_280_IDShot_3.jpeg has gelatin in the ingredients list.

I checked the Philadelphia site and they say: ' Our products that are suitable for vegetarians carry the “suitable for vegetarians symbol”. You can find this symbol on the packs. Vegans however will not be able to eat Philadelphia as it is made from a product derived from an animal source (milk). '

@hameedeh I normally check a cheese, but because the normal Philly is vegetarian i assumed this would be too. The only reason i discovered it wasnt was because it tasted oddly sweet and i checked the ingredints to see where sugar appeared in the list.

There is this site for Americans to check for cheeses: http://cheese.joyousliving.com/

And here is a list of cheeseS approved by the vegetarian society in the UK: http://www.vegsocapproved.com/corporate08/category.asp?id=Food+-+Cheese

Hey guys, 

usually those innocent looking chocolate covered raisins, chocolate-covered almonds, chocolate-covered blueberries  etc... have something called "Confectioner's Glaze" --and guess what? 

According to Muslim Consumer Group, it's considered not Halal...and not to mention gross:

Confectionery Glaze

Confectionary Glaze or Resinous Glaze is made from Shellac (Shellac is a insect secretion) which is dissolved in alcohol, and then alcohol is evaporated and glazed on the surface of food products. It is also part of sprinkles on top of bakery products and ice cream. MCG does not consider it as a Halal ingredient because of alcohol.

(source: 

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/faq.html)

Do you know how many candies have been crossed off the list due to this ingredient?

I'm glad I found out about it. 

Edited by Sumayyeh

Bad news for Magnum lovers:

This attachment was circulated via our local whatsapp community group. I then contacted Unilever Customer Care via their website www.unilever.co.uk for further verification. They informed that the contents of the attached are correct and also encouraged that we refer to the most recently updated guide.

Unilever further added:

"To ensure the suitability of our products for consumers who consume Halal foods in the UK and Ireland, we regularly share information on our products’ ingredients with the Gloucester Muslim Welfare Association (GMWA) who compile a comprehensive Halal Foodguide. Based on this information the GMWA make a recommendation on our product suitability for Halal consumption. This decision is based on their discretion and not determined by Unilever".

I contacted GMWA who provided the following link: www.foodguide.org.uk (wealth of info available)

Please note: GMWA, based on their discretion (decision-making), derive their islamic laws primarily from the islamic school of Hanafi (Not Shia - which I don't see any problem with unless members can advise otherwise)

MAGNUM UNILEVER haram.jpg

I found the following article from GMWA's website. A VERY INTERESTING READ and hopefully it would eencourage you to double-check what lands in your shopping trolleys before checking out. Remember 'Sharing is Caring'

Assalaam-o-Alaikum, 
Why Pig Fat is not mentioned but code(s) are printed?

PIG FAT by Dr. M. Amjad Khan

In nearly all the western countries including Europe , the PRIMARY choice for meat is PIG. There are a lot of farms in these countries to breed this animal. In France alone, Pig Farms account for more than 42,000.

PIGS have the highest quantity of FAT in their body than any other animal. But Europeans and Americans try to avoid fats.

Thus, where does the FAT from these PIGS go? All pigs are cut in slaughter houses under the control of the department of food and it was the headache of the department of food to dispose of the fat removed from these pigs.

Formally, it was burnt (about 60 years ago). Then they thought of utilizing it. First, they experimented it in the making of SOAPS and it worked.

Then, a full network was formed and this FAT was chemically Processed, Packed and Marketed, while the other manufacturing companies bought it. In the meantime, all European States made it a rule that every Food, Medical and Personal Hygiene product should have the ingredients listed on its cover. so, this ingredient was listed as PIG FAT.

Those who are living in Europe for the past 40 years know about this. But, these products came under a ban by the ISLAMIC COUNTRIES at that time, which resulted in a trade deficit.

Going back in time, if you are somehow related to South East Asia , you might know about the provoking factors of the 1857 CIVIL WAR. At that time, Rifle Bullets were made in Europe and transported to the sub-continent through the Sea. It took months to reach there and the gun powder in it was ruined due to the exposure to sea.

Then, they got the idea of coating the Bullets with fat, which was PIG FAT. The fat layer had to be scratched by teeth before using them. When the word spread, the soldiers, mostly Muslim and some Vegetarians, refused to fight. Which eventually lead to the Civil War. The Europeans recognized these facts, and instead of writing PIG FAT, they started writing ANIMAL FAT.

All those living in Europe since 1970's know this fact. When the companies were asked by authorities from the MUSLIM COUNTRIES, what animal fat is it, they were told it was COW and SHEEP Fat. Here again a question raised, if it was COW or SHEEP Fat, still it is HARAAM to MUSLIMS, as these animal were not SLAUGHTERED as per the ISLAMIC LAW.

Thus, they were again banned. Now, these multinational companies were again facing a severe drought of money as 75% of their income comes from selling their goods to Muslim Countries, and these earn BILLIONS OF DOLLARS of Profit from their exports to the MUSLIM WORLD.

Finally they decided to start a coding language, so that only their Departments of Food Administration should know what they are using, and the common man is left lurking in the dark. Thus, they started E-CODES. These E-INGREDIENTS are present in a majority of products of multinational firms including, but not limited to:

TOOTH PASTE,
SHAVING CREAM
CHEWING GUM,
CHOCOLATE,
SWEETS,
BISCUITS,
CORN FLAKES, TOFFEES,
CANNED FOODS,
FRUIT TINS,

Some medication Multi-vitamins Since these goods are being used in all MUSLIM Countries indiscriminately, our society is facing problems like shamelessness, rudeness and sexual promiscuity.

So, I request all MUSLIMS or non pork eaters to check the ingredients of the ITEMS of daily use and match it with the following list of E-CODES. 
If any of the ingredients listed below is found, try to avoid it, as it has got PIG FAT;

E100, E110, E120, E140, E141, E153, E210, E213, E214, E216, E234, E252,
E270, E280, E325, E326, E327, E334, E335, E336, E337, E422, E430, E431,
E432, E433, E434, E435, E436, E440, E470, E471, E472, E473, E474, E475,
E476, E477, E478, E481, E482, E483, E491, E492, E493, E494, E495, E542,
E570, E572, E631, E635, E904.

Dr. M. Amjad Khan
Medical Research Institute
United States

SOURCE: http://www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=229

On 12/7/2016 at 11:17 PM, wolverine said:

Check the Ramen Noodles you buy. If your marja says shrimp is halal, you should know that the Ramen (shrimp flavor one) says it has shrimp and lobster in it. Throw the spice packet in the trash. 

Yes, lobster is haram. Lobsters eat haram foods. They eat clams, crabs, and other lobsters. Lobsters are Cannibals. :tongueangry:

it is always best to be on the safe side .you have loads of apps to check if the product is halal or not. one such app is "scan halal ". they blacklist all the haram and mushbooh ingredients which they obtain from halal authorities. :eat:

On 11/17/2016 at 2:52 AM, saas said:

E100

This is actually a type of ginger.

E110

This is Sunset Yellow FCF is a petroleum-derived orange azo dye.

E120

Sistani says halal: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2079/

E140

This doubtful.

E141

It is a water soluble pigment.

E153

This is usually produced from vegetable.

I cannot bother to go on but our Marjah say for those living in the west only to check the products we find suspicious not everyday items and we should act like general mass of Muslim and not delve into obsession.

Wa'aleykum Assalam.

Thank you Admins for pinning this thread.

http://www.alahazrat.net/islam/e-numbers-listing-halal-o-haram-ingredients.php

http://www.halalcertifiering.se/halal_haram_e_nummer.pdf (You can print this out and keep it with you when you go food shopping)