Al-Hassan

Virtues of Ahlulbayt in Sunni Hadith literature

Rate this topic

On 18.10.2016 at 11:49 PM, goldenhawk said:

This research by this "student" was done by a salafi called efendi. This nasabi is known for his lies and devious propaganda on his anti shia blog.I have proof of this. Even this article above is carefully selected and cherry picked quotes that suit is aqeeda. 

Is there any difference? And could you brother please enlighten us, what makes that student nasibi? 

This thread is about the virtues of ahlulbayt in sunni literature. I was just making a quick point so the reader to know who this person is. Your question of "Now what makes that person a nasbi" would derail this thread so let's not start the discussion here. There is a thread already opened called Who is a nasabi. We should talk there and not here. 

There are different chains for this hadith and some Sunnis have declared those to be weak. However, I recommend the brothers to use this version as all the narrators are trustworthy. This hadith is 100% sahih according to sunni rijal system. Enjoy!

Mustadrak al-Hakim:

عن سفيان بن سعيد الثوري (من رجال الصحاح الستة) عن عبد الله بن عثمان بن خثيم (وثّقه : ابن معين والعجلي والنسائي وابن سعد وذكره ابن حبّان في الثقات وقال أبو حاتم : ما به بأس صالح الحديث) عن عبد الرحمن بن بهمان (ذكره ابن حبّان في الثقات ووثّقه ابن حجر في التهذيب وتقريب التهذيب ، وكذا غيرها) قال : سمعت جابر بن عبد الله يقول : سمعت رسول الله يقول : " أنا مدينة العلم وعلي بابها فمن أراد العلم فليأت من الباب ".

Sufyan ibn Sa'eed al-Thawri - Abdullah ibn Uthman ibn Khuthaym - Abdur-Rahman ibn Bahmaan - Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansar - the Holy Prophet  (PBUH) said:

"I am the city of knowledge, and Ali is the gate. Whosoever desires the city must go through the gate."

All the narrators are thiqa (trustworthy):

1. Sufyan ibn Sa'eed al-Thawri: One of the narrators of Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.

2. Abdullah ibn Uthman ibn Khuthaym: Ibn Hibban has included his name in his Thuqaat, and Ibn Ma'een, al-Ajli, Nisai, Abu Hatim and Ibn Sa'eed have all declared him thiqah.

3. Abdur-Rahman ibn Bahmaan: Ibn Hibban has included his name in his Thuqaat. Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani has declared him thiqah in both tahdheeb al-Tahdheeb and Taqreeb al-Tahdheeb.

4. Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari: A prominent Companion.

Edited by goldenhawk

What I don't get is why whenever they are grading hadith such as this one above, they feel the need to put "Saheeh but Bukhari and Muslim haven't mentioned it", as if that's some sort of criteria for accepting a tradition.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

What is the point of this post?

sunnies love the imams, Shias just live the overboard. 

Any person who the prophet loved, I love. 

The problem with our Sunni Shia split is that there are so many uneducated people. Some sunnies don't know who the imams are, only because this split has led to that. Some Shias hate omar, only because this split has led to that. 

Haram on each individual person to not know the history of Islam. To care about who lead Islam afterwards is not what Islam is about, that is your personal feelings. 

On 2/22/2017 at 8:58 AM, Whysoserious7 said:

What is the point of this post?

sunnies love the imams, Shias just live the overboard. 

Any person who the prophet loved, I love. 

The problem with our Sunni Shia split is that there are so many uneducated people. Some sunnies don't know who the imams are, only because this split has led to that. Some Shias hate omar, only because this split has led to that. 

Haram on each individual person to not know the history of Islam. To care about who lead Islam afterwards is not what Islam is about, that is your personal feelings. 

Simply because loving the Ahlulbayt (as) out of words without absolutely following their teachings does not suffice in obeying the orders of the Prophet (saw). Both the Sunni and Imami school fundamentally believe that the Prophet (saw) before his demise ordered the Muslims to follow the Quran and his Sunnah, and that one will not separate from the other until the final hour, and we believe that the only gateway to the Sunnah is via the Ahlulbayt. The Ahlulbayt from all of the Sahabah, Tabi'in and Atba' at-Tabi'in are the only ones qualified to hold an authoritative position in teaching the Prophet's Sunnah to the Muslims and they hold this unique position based on their superiority in virtues, knowledge and piety as shown in this thread. 

On 28/02/2017 at 10:09 AM, Al-Hassan said:

Both the Sunni and Imami school fundamentally believe that the Prophet (saw) before his demise ordered the Muslims to follow the Quran and his Sunnah,

No brother.

According to the hadith of Muslim, the Prophet clearly said that "I am leaving behind two things - the Quran and my itrat (family)."

The hadith of Quran and sunna comes not from one of the six books but from Muwatta of Imam Malik.

Sunnis regard Muslim as more reliable but they always quote the Muwatta hadith.

I understand the point that you're trying to reach but there is also a greater context to this. One of the meanings of the word Sunnah in Arabic is 'teachings' and in the context of the aforementioned Hadith, it is the teachings of RasulAllah (saw), so the Hadiths are not entirely mutually exclusive or conflict with each other. Malik's report is not absolutely weak and I believe its more appropriate to rather say that the issue with it is that its vague or generic since it could be interpreted to mean that the "Sunnah" of the Prophet (saw) can be taken from anyone who met him, like Abu Hurayra or Malik b. Anas and other individuals whom are not recognized by Imamis, and not restricting it to the Ahlulbayt (as).

The Prophet (saw) ordered the Muslims to follow the Ahlulbayt (as) because they are the most authentic source to reach his Sunnah. 

9 hours ago, Al-Hassan said:

....like Abu Hurayra or Malik b. Anas and other individuals whom are not recognized by Imamis, and not restricting it to the Ahlulbayt (as).

Anas b. Malik*

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ أَحْمَدَ، ثنا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ الْحَضْرَمِيُّ، ثنا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، ثنا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُفَضَّلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا جَعْفَرٌ الأَحْمَرُ، عَنْ هِلالٍ أَبِي أَيُّوبَ الصَّيْرَفِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي كَثِيرٍ الأَنْصَارِيِّ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ أَسْعَدَ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلي الله عليه وسلم: " انْتَهَيْتُ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ بِي إِلَى السِّدْرَةِ الْمُنْتَهَى، فَأُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ فِي عَلِيٍّ بِثَلاثٍ: أَنَّهُ إِمَامُ الْمُتَّقِينَ، وَسَيِّدُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ، وَقَائِدُ الْغُرِّ الْمُحَجَّلِينَ إِلَى جَنَّاتِ النَّعِيمِ 

Prophet Mohammad (saww) said, On the night of Me'raj when I reached at 'Sidrah al-Muntaha',  the following 3 were revealed (Wahee) to me regarding Ali (as), That He is Imam of the Pious and leader of the Muslims and leader of those with White forehead leading them towards heaven.

ابي نعيم الأصبهاني (متوفاي430هـ)، معرفة الصحابة، ج3، ص1587

I am an Sunni scholar there are no virtues of ahlulbayt in Sunni literature to elevate them to the same status of prophethood. The shia believe ahlulbayt Imamate is like general prophethood according to Allama majlisi. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to but the truth for theists primarily is in textual evidences. There is a context to all the ahadith about fadak, 12 khalifas and muta etc and it actually isn't what the shia believe in my humble opinion correct me if I'm wrong but I was a shia for a long time. Give me some Sunni references and I can explain them to you