Salaam,

My mother's father was an Uyghur Chinese man who was born and raised in Kashkar, China (Also known as Urumchi, China). My mother has always said that her father would tell her that they were the "decedents of the rightful ones." I'm not too sure what that means. My mother's side family are sunni, but she believes that her father and past generations may have been shias. What I'm curious to know is that is there any proof of shias in Urumchi, China? My grandfather told my mother that there was a time when certain muslims were killed for following a certain sect of Islam. Could it be possible that my mother's family afterall be decedents of shias, but converted to sunni to keep themselves safe?? I don't know was wondering if anyone else has any idea. 

JazakAllah Kheyr in advance :) 

:salam:

This is interesting . I do not know the answer to your question but I do know this;

Holy Quran:

And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another.(35:18)

So regardless of what they were,now you can make or continue with your research and use this point as a glimmer of light,of who the Ahlul bayt are thru their words, to find out the truth, which is the main responsibilty for each one of us, regardless of what our ansectors followed.

Imam Ali:

***Seek the truth and you shall know it's people.

*** Follow principles not personalities.

All the best in your quest.

Edited by certainclarity

Salam, 

Don't know specifically about this region but historically followers of the Wilayat of Imam Ali(a.s) and his descendants(a.s), the Imam of Ahl Al Bayt(a.s), commonly known as the Shia, have existed in every muslim community that I am aware of. I don't think that China is an exception to this. When I lived in California, I had some friends from Lebanon who traveled back and forth to Korea (South Korea) and there were Shia there who were Korean. So Why not China ? 

But like was said above, the important things is not whether or not your ancestors were Shia, but whether you yourself try, in your own life, to emulate beliefs and actions of the 'rightly guided ones' who are Ahl Al Bayt(a.s). 

16 hours ago, sarariz said:

My mother has always said that her father would tell her that they were the "decedents of the rightful ones." 

That would make her a Syed.

What I'm curious to know is that is there any proof of shias in Urumchi, China?

There were a lot of Shia from Persia that migrated into Asia into Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. There would no reason to think that they didn't migrate further East into China as well. 

My grandfather told my mother that there was a time when certain muslims were killed for following a certain sect of Islam.

That's still going on unfortunately and will probably continue til the Zuhoor.

Could it be possible that my mother's family afterall be decedents of shias, but converted to sunni to keep themselves safe??

Its not that uncommon. Happened more often that we realize.

I was read a research article on Shia islam here, it says there are in Xinjiang around 6,000 Uyghur Shia here, the number given by a Mosque imam, there are no official statics.

But they are recent converts ?

Maybe there are some recent converters, but i don't think most of them are recent converters. They has long history, in that article says their ancestors were comes from India, Afghanistan... to here during 17th century.

Could you give us this article ?