Shaykh Patience101

Mumtaz Qadri Executed

Rate this topic

:salam:

This morning, Mumtaz Qadri, the killer of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, was finally executed in Pakistan. Now apparently this man, who was Taseer's bodyguard, gunned him down in Islamabad a few years ago in the name of Islam because Taseer was a vocal critic of Pakistan's blasphemy laws. Taseer also apparently tried to free Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1242637

Now what I've found really interesting is the huge contrast in the reaction of many people in Pakistan. Most liberal-minded people, politicians, and the majority of the press have hailed his execution as deserved of a man who thought he could take the law into his own hands. Surprisingly however, most of the 'devout' Sunni population (although not all obviously) have responded violently, calling Qadri a martyr and 'ghazi.' Many Sunni groups have launched protests, forcibly shutting down roads, shops, and clashing with police in many major cities. Even the educated-class of practicing Sunnis have been reduced to an almost mournful state. In contrast, most Shia I've heard from didn't seem to consider Taseer a 'blasphemer' and denounce Qadri as just another a terrorist. It's really surprised me how I've heard Mumtaz Qadri described anywhere from "manhoos dehshatgard" to "ghazi" and "shaheed" in the space of a few hours today. And this time, it seems like practicing Sunnis are almost unanimously denouncing Qadri's execution.

What's your opinion of this situation? Why is there such a difference of opinion?

Input from both Sunni and Shia members is welcome.

Edited by Patience101

:ws:

Why Khomeini issued fatwa against salman rushdie ! Its compulsory on every muslim to "love" Prophet s.a.w more than everything "for" muslims ! 

(well done mumtaz qadri "SubhanAllah", inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raaji'oon) 

4 hours ago, Reader. said:

:ws:

{[Why Khomeini issued fatwa against salman rushdie ! Its compulsory on every muslim to "love" Prophet s.a.w more than everything "for" muslims !]}? 

^is it taqiyyah or Pakistani judiciary is "above" Muhammad s.a.w, @Zahra Fatimah! And you didn't replied regarding Khomeini fatwa for "salman rushdie". It seems like that fatwa was too taqiyyatic, against Iranian judiciary. 

I am not favouring blasphemy. I am against framing and such extremist acts without proper investigation and research. Mumtaz's extremist act was against Islamic law and jurisprudence. This practice should be snubbed and such persons should be condemned otherwise people will be murdered on daily basis by the people or extremists exploiting the laws and taking cover under such sensitive Islamic laws for their own ulterior motives.

This Qadri saga has brought to light a version of 'peaceful', 'moderate' Barelvi Islam we've all feared. 

Anyway, kudos to Sharif for tackling this and showing who's in charge. About time the state establishes it writ in the face of religious fundamentalism.

14 minutes ago, Brained said:

Anyway, kudos to Sharif for tackling this and showing who's in charge. 

Its the army who is fighting against extremism/terrorism in its all forms. The government as well as the judiciary was/is always scared to take such drastic steps to uproot religious fanaticism in the state. The army took the responsibility of providing security to all the persons related to execute the sentence in its lawful way thus making the justice prevail. 

Regarding fatwa,

Salman Rushdie can not be compared to Salman taseer at all. Please read about the context and background and then comment.

Salman rushdie was supported by western powers and his whole agenda was to defame Holy Prophet (pbuh).

Secondly, you also need to consider that in islamic state (so called,i know) who is responsible for punishments and justice system. What are the boundaries in which a person is allowed to take arms etc.

Mumtaz qadri acted against penal code of country and he was dealt with accordingly. If you to change the penal code, get a majority in parliament and change the laws. 

38 minutes ago, Zahra Fatimah said:

Its the army who is fighting against extremism/terrorism in its all forms. The government as well as the judiciary was/is always scared to take such drastic steps to uproot religious fanaticism in the state. The army took the responsibility of providing security to all the persons related to execute the sentence in its lawful way thus making the justice prevail. 

I didn't say which Sharif. :shifty:

21 hours ago, Zahra Fatimah said:

The army also took the responsibility of imposing Saudi-funded Islam on the country in the first place. They themselves planted the seeds of Salman Taseer's assassination decades ago, under the kingship of Zia.

1 hour ago, Patience101 said:

The army also took the responsibility of imposing Saudi-funded Islam on the country in the first place. They themselves planted the seeds of Salman Taseer's assassination decades ago, under the kingship of Zia.

That was ZIA back there who brought about the curse of extremism. Today, Its Sharif who is uprooting this curse. Individuals vary in their thoughts, views and logic. Their actions define them. Even in Zia's regime, the army was not agreed to what he induced in the state. He was only backed by the fanatics and extremist plus the cowards who were scared to call a spade a spade. 

1 hour ago, Patience101 said:

errr... Mumtaz Qadri, in case you didn't notice, was Barelvi. Barelvi activism has evolved as a response in kind to ever-expanding Deobandi reach, not in partnership with them.

Barelvi extremism =/= Deobandism.

19 hours ago, Brained said:

errr... Mumtaz Qadri, in case you didn't notice, was Barelvi. Barelvi activism has evolved as a response in kind to ever-expanding Deobandi reach, not in partnership with them.

Barelvi extremism =/= Deobandism.

Like you said, Barelvi 'activism' has evolved as a response to the Deobandi reach. In other words, such violence is only occurring due to the precedence of terrorism set by Saudi-funded groups.

There wouldn't have been an 'ever-expanding Deobandi reach' if there hadn't been Zia and the army in power a few years ago. That's why I am saying that the army shouldn't be hailed as heroes for their role in this saga.

19 hours ago, Zahra Fatimah said:

That was ZIA back there who brought about the curse of extremism. Today, Its Sharif who is uprooting this curse. Individuals vary in their thoughts, views and logic. Their actions define them. Even in Zia's regime, the army was not agreed to what he induced in the state. He was only backed by the fanatics and extremist plus the cowards who were scared to call a spade a spade. 

You have to remember that this saintly Sharif today is the same as the one who was a very senior member of Zia's administration. He came to power only through Zia. 

:bismillah:

Salam Alaykum

Lets say that in my opinion most of Pakistani laws were set for them by the British empire and are assisted by their Wahabi brethren. If you read some of their Blasphemy laws, they are unIslamic...  He did take the law in his own hand and killed a human being. Usually Wahabis do this and making "Blasphemy laws" and excuse for their terrorist activities. Allah knows best.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:06 PM, Zahra Fatimah said:

i was talking about Raheel Sharif /army....

Raheel Sharif /army are just another ministry of the state, under the control of the civilian government. I don't see why they should be seen as independent entity.

This culture of army-worship has to stop if we want to see our country move forward and progress in areas other than defense.