zainabamy

How to boost energy

Assalam aleikum,

For the last few months I've suffered with Insomnia but al hamdulilah recently I have been able to get it under control and am sleeping a lot earlier. The only problem I have is that even if I have a good 8,9 or 10 hours sleep, I really struggle to wake up. Even on days when I can sleep until 9am or 10am, I find it impossible to wake up, and getting up for Fajr at 6am is a real problem. And then for the rest of the day I feel so tired, most days I have to have a nap in the afternoon because I can't stay awake.

Do you any of you have any advice for my situation? Its really affecting not only going to University but my prayers as well.  I need some suggestions of things I can do that can help me to boost my energy and keep me awake during the day.

Thank you in advance. :) 

وعليكم السلام

There could be many reasons; you have to experiment.

First, and foremost, each body is different and will require a different amount of sleep. No matter how much studies parade the 8-hour-sleep concept it doesn't mean it works for everyone. I am way more awake and active after 4-6 hours of sleep than 7+ hours. Usually, sleeping more than what your body needs will result in you feeling tired throughout the day; why? I personally haven't looked into it but I'm pretty sure google can tell you.

Second, your nutrition might not be great. If you're eating low net gain food your body won't get much nutrients from it and will end up feeling fatigued because it's malnourished. Eat tons of veges and fruits, that helped my feel satisfied and gave me good results in my sporting endeavors.

9-2 o'clock are the best hours of sleep. It has something to do with the energy of the night. And it works in the favor of Muslims because it means after 2 sleeping is useless, so, get up and pray Al-Layl.

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

So, I have yet to try this...but I heard that drinking algae is great as an energy booster and overall body health booster. (Zainabamy...I'm not kidding!)

I think I want to try it...but I'm scared :)

Anyways, the lady that I know with this habit has radiant skin...

so we'll see...

Eat well before your sleeping time. Avoid any type of 'screens' before going to bed i.e your phone, laptop and tv. Read a good book and just drift to sleep. Praying to Allah that you wake up at 6am. If after completing your 7 hour or 8 hour cycle you are still not feeling fresh then get your Thyroid Hormone and Cortisol levels checked. Cortisol is the hormone released naturally in early morning and can cause alertness and boost of energy. Thats the advice I can offer. :) hope it helps.

Are you going through some problems? sometimes oversleeping is a sign of depression. Read a lot of Quran, that's always helpful. Also, turn all lights off an hour before bedtime, have only light meals in the evening that consists of yogurt, bananas and chamomile tea, they work for me when I want to sleep earlier. And in time, If you manage to sleep earlier in the evening, it should get easier and easier to wake up early too, InshAllah. Best of luck

9 hours ago, billy090 said:

Eat well before your sleeping time. Avoid any type of 'screens' before going to bed i.e your phone, laptop and tv. Read a good book and just drift to sleep. Praying to Allah that you wake up at 6am. If after completing your 7 hour or 8 hour cycle you are still not feeling fresh then get your Thyroid Hormone and Cortisol levels checked. Cortisol is the hormone released naturally in early morning and can cause alertness and boost of energy. Thats the advice I can offer. :) hope it helps.

I think the avoiding screens issue is a big one...I heard that has really harmful effects when you look at your phone right before sleeping for example...

would you happen to know if caffeine has harmful effects...in the long run?

heavy coffee drinker right here...:blush:

Caffeine causes addiction. I mean when you don't get it you have headaches and can hamper you from doing routine work, nothing serious. Besides it, I don't think it has anything dangerous associated with it. It can cause insomnia also, and if used in excess it can cause GERD ( heartburn associated with stomach, can sometimes be severe.)  So you will do fine, don't worry. Just don't drink your coffee when its TOO HOT.  :)

On February 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM, billy090 said:

Caffeine causes addiction. I mean when you don't get it you have headaches and can hamper you from doing routine work, nothing serious. Besides it, I don't think it has anything dangerous associated with it. It can cause insomnia also, and if used in excess it can cause GERD ( heartburn associated with stomach, can sometimes be severe.)  So you will do fine, don't worry. Just don't drink your coffee when its TOO HOT.  :)

Thanks doc :)

We're used to drinking our tea/chai extremely hot...and like you warned that's not good...I heard that can cause throat cancer 

I also heard that too much caffeine may cause osteoporosis in the long run (esp women)