Shian e Ali

How to Gain Weight!?

Salam/Hi!

I'm a guy who's 20+ with 55 kg weight. Even if I eat to my full, it just doesn't work! I don't get fat (I don't plan on doing it anyway) & I don't seem to gain weight. Ever since I turned 14, my weight just seemed to stop as well as my height (5.8 ft/172 cm). In Ramadhan, it drops down to 53 Lol! I never got the chance to experience being above 60 kgs :P

No, I am not too slim & I don't look like a Zombie either.

Any suggestions?

Its simple, eat some carbohydrates and go lift some weights :pushup:

So basically you should stick to workout for now, because if you just ate and sit all day long without doing nothing you would gain body fat, but if you ate properly and commit to working out you would gain muscle mass and an excellent shape of a body through time. If you want to message me for further information you are welcome. 

Wassalam.

20 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

this way he will accumulate the ugly fat. Best way for men to add weight is to add muscle. work outs and protein shakes.

Common misconception. You cannot gain muscle without a caloric surplus. Muscles don't pop out of nowhere, unfortunately. 

Let us suggest that your caloric maintenance is 2000 calories. To add muscle and minimal fat (there is no possible way to add muscle without fat, unless you're using steroids) you increase your caloric intake by 200-500. But you have to workout out, otherwise the extra intake will be stored as just fat.

I also have to throw this here, if people are drinking Whey protein they're pretty much consuming a low net gain protein. Meaning that it has went through so much processing that the 20-25g protein per scoop has very little nutritional value in it.

Also, the other misconception is that if you're trying to lose fat you should drop your caloric intake and workout. That's actually wrong. If you're working out you're already burning calories. If you drop your intake to 1500 and workout you'll have consumed around 1200-1300 cals. That'll put your body into starvation mode, meaning that your body will start to store fat, rather than burning it. If you, however, eat your maintenance (e.g 2000 cals) then you'll be left with 1700-1500 cals, which means you've consumed enough so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and you've burned 300-500 cals.

36 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

there is no possible way to add muscle without fat, unless you're using steroids

That's untrue. A human being drops in these 4 ways: 1- gain muscle and fat go up on scale 2- gain muscle and lose fat go up on scale 3- gain muscle and lose fat and stay the same on scale 4-lose fat and maintain muscle mass and drop on scale based on the fat you lost.

Number 4 is what less than 0.5% of the world can do. Because they don't know how to eat nor how to workout. You can train in a way that you drop fat and maintain your BMI, but of course you should know what training Exactly you should do, such thing is so delicate and it's extremely hard and needs patience.

Now moving on to the food, which is the important part cause you train let's say for 2 hours a day? and the rest 22 hours you are eating throughout the day, sleeping, etc...so you go my point.  I myself am an addict of gym/sports/muay thai, so i eat more than a man that weights 90kgs. It is true what you said a person who trains shouldnt cut food or whatever. Further more let's take 2 scenarios and you can try them and see the differences, if you load proteins before you train to lose some fat/gain muscles, you will lose musclemass instead of burning fat/gaining muscles, but if you load carbs before you train you will indeed lose fat or gain muscles depends on your goal/workout, and that is what our fellow @Shian e Ali needs to do. Workouts and dieting needs experience, and food is the secret on the long run, because you will attain your workout goal eventually.

Edited by random username

51 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

If you drop your intake to 1500 and workout you'll have consumed around 1200-1300 cals. That'll put your body into starvation mode, meaning that your body will start to store fat, rather than burning it.

If your calorie intake is less than what you are using up via exercise, where does the difference come from?

25 minutes ago, random username said:

That's untrue. A human being drops in these 4 ways: 1- gain muscle and fat go up on scale 2- gain muscle and lose fat go up on scale 3- gain muscle and lose fat and stay the same on scale 4-lose fat and maintain muscle mass and drop on scale based on the fat you lost.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how you could add muscle without fat. I have not read any research paper or book that have claimed you can add pure muscle without fat. You can maintain muscle while losing fat, indeed, but you cannot add muscle without fat.

7 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

If your calorie intake is less than what you are using up via exercise, where does the difference come from?

Oh, no. You misunderstood me. I meant if you consume 1500 calories then workout, you'll lose 200-300 calories, which, in-turn, means you've consumed 1200-1300 cals that day.

6 hours ago, Shian e Ali said:

Salam/Hi!

I'm a guy who's 20+ with 55 kg weight. Even if I eat to my full, it just doesn't work! I don't get fat (I don't plan on doing it anyway) & I don't seem to gain weight. Ever since I turned 14, my weight just seemed to stop as well as my height (5.8 ft/172 cm). In Ramadhan, it drops down to 53 Lol! I never got the chance to experience being above 60 kgs :P

No, I am not too slim & I don't look like a Zombie either.

Any suggestions?

Pay my sister to cook for you. At three meals a day you can easily and happily eat for 3 hours a day.

We had turkey dinner today.

16 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Common misconception. You cannot gain muscle without a caloric surplus. Muscles don't pop out of nowhere, unfortunately. 

Let us suggest that your caloric maintenance is 2000 calories. To add muscle and minimal fat (there is no possible way to add muscle without fat, unless you're using steroids) you increase your caloric intake by 200-500. But you have to workout out, otherwise the extra intake will be stored as just fat.

I also have to throw this here, if people are drinking Whey protein they're pretty much consuming a low net gain protein. Meaning that it has went through so much processing that the 20-25g protein per scoop has very little nutritional value in it.

Also, the other misconception is that if you're trying to lose fat you should drop your caloric intake and workout. That's actually wrong. If you're working out you're already burning calories. If you drop your intake to 1500 and workout you'll have consumed around 1200-1300 cals. That'll put your body into starvation mode, meaning that your body will start to store fat, rather than burning it. If you, however, eat your maintenance (e.g 2000 cals) then you'll be left with 1700-1500 cals, which means you've consumed enough so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and you've burned 300-500 cals.

Let's consider these situations :

1- Eating Potatoes as carb for calorie vs eating a bar of chocolate for calories.

Potatoes is a carb but it is also a special type of carbs. The potato also has fibres which will bind to fat and some toxic materials in the intestine and will take it with it down and out, which is the concept behind one class of high cholesterol drugs. Potatoe also contains other items like vitamins and micro nutrients which are needed in very small amounts. These nutrients have the ability to reshape the lumen of the intestine, improve the immunity of the intestine and harmonise the type and number of friendly gut bacteria.

Let's examine the other option: Bar of chocolate.

bar f chocolate has LOADS of calories . It is the simplest form of cars: simple sugar, plus the high fructose glucose syrup. Glucose is the main cause of dental caries these days. It plays a role in changing the population of bacteria of the whole digestive system. The over sweetness is masked by loads of salts too. Salts shouldn't be harmful but today research shows other wise. Bar also contain fats. Unlike the olive oil that lowers the levels of harmful cholesterol, the fats used in chocolate is the worst. The human gut can't easily break it down. To add to that, most fats in chocolate should be kept from getting old , so preservatives are added. Many fat preservatives have hormonal disturbing properties, they tend to accumulate fat in certain areas of the body regardless of the amount of calories we consume.

Body can break down proteins and turn them to calories as well. It just won't do that unless no single sugar molecule is left to consume, then it will go on breaking down the muscles.

Milk is full of protein and fat. One big glass of milk can keep you sustained from 6 am to 12 pm at work. The same amount of calories in that big milk glass can be found in some chocolate bar but chocolate bar will sustain you from 6 am to 8 am maximum. That's because sugars are broke down as early as they touch mouth while fat and protien got to wait till food reach stomach or intestine. 

Bar of chocolate will give a a spike increase in insulin which will work as an emergency state in the body to reduce the ridiculously large amount of calories all entering blood stream at once. Brain and eyes got no protection against large amount of sugar inside cells , sugar inside cells turns to toxic molecule. So insulin is their only saviour and it has to work quick and efficiently. Insulin will bring all sugar down , sharply down that after 2 hours you will feel headache and dizzy and in need of saving piece of chocolate.

CALORIES ISNT THE FULL STORY. THE FOOD HAS MUCH MORE TO OFFFER TO US OTHER THAN CALORIES, HUMANS ARE NOT CARS! THEIR BODY INTERACT WITH THEIR ENVIRONMENT INCLUDING THE FOOD.

Oils and sugars cause major weight gain(fats) .But overdose causes obesity and other diseases .
Eat all kinds of food ,fruits ,veges ,have full breakfast ,but don't stop physical work ,it makes person obese .Why don't you visit a doctor ?I mean a diet nutritionist ????? :) 

@Chaotic Muslem You're missing the whole point of my posts. I never stated anything about what to eat. I simply stated what HAS to be done in order to GAIN weight. Regardless of what you're eating, be it healthy or junk, you NEED a caloric surplus to GAIN weight. The OP asked for a weight to gain weight. 

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

On 2/14/2016 at 10:48 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand how you could add muscle without fat. I have not read any research paper or book that have claimed you can add pure muscle without fat. You can maintain muscle while losing fat, indeed, but you cannot add muscle without fat.

That's another misconception. You can build up musclemass from fat and remain the same on scale or even go up, which is bad. In all cases you should be burning fat not transforming it to muscles. You build muscle throughout carbohydrates.

Some people's bodies are just shaped different.

You can't just gain weight easily due to the pobably fast metabolism that you might have.

Also, you always have to watch out for eating too much of something.

Before you try to gain any weight you should also think about your health. 

Too much sugar for example results in diabetes, even if you're very slim.

@Ibn Al-Shahid @yasahebalzaman.313 @Chaotic Muslem

How possible is it to measure your exactly calorie intake, especially if you usually eat cultural food that is not mainstream, and thus does not come with as much nutritional information?

Secondly, from where can someone seeking to begin living according to this lifestyle obtain nutritional guidance? Is the gym a good place to start?

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

@Shaykh Patience101 Usually the cultural food are best measured by a dietitian, he tells you for example eat 2 small bowls of rice with 1 small bowl of veggies. I can tell you this, watch the fatty ingredients that you put, if you use milk, use skimmed milk, if you use fried oil, use 0 fat fried oil, if you use fresh cream, use 0 fat, be healthy and eat organic food. This is a long discussion, because you cant start all by yourself measuring cultural food, it comes with experience. I eat home cooked lebanese food so i know what you mean. However you can know about the nutritional information on google. They give you exact measurements about main ingredients and products.

Gym will push you give you a bit of motivation cause you start seeing people working out. It depends what is your goal, if you want to build muscles, lose weight, lose weight and fat. You should do some tests, to see your fat and musclemass % in your body, and check your BMR and start working accordingly. The main rule is to load carbs before working out.

@Shaykh Patience101 You can't calculate the exact caloric value of a meal. If you do know the ingredients to the culture food, however, you can get an estimate. You can find the nutritional facts of each thing online (rice, chicken, oil, etc.).

A gym will only help you if you know what you're doing. Are you looking for aesthetic body or a functional strength? Aesthetic is what bodybuilders do. Functional strength is what gymnasts and olympic powerlifters/weightlifters do. Find out what suits you best.

Also, there are tons of nutritional plans you can follow. I'm currently doing Intermittent Fasting, because I'm not looking to add weight and it works well with spiritual practices. Find out what works for your body and goals because not all nutritional plans will work for everyone. 

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

6 hours ago, yasahebalzaman.313 said:

@Shaykh Patience101 Usually the cultural food are best measured by a dietitian, he tells you for example eat 2 small bowls of rice with 1 small bowl of veggies. I can tell you this, watch the fatty ingredients that you put, if you use milk, use skimmed milk, if you use fried oil, use 0 fat fried oil, if you use fresh cream, use 0 fat, be healthy and eat organic food. This is a long discussion, because you cant start all by yourself measuring cultural food, it comes with experience. I eat home cooked lebanese food so i know what you mean. However you can know about the nutritional information on google. They give you exact measurements about main ingredients and products.

Gym will push you give you a bit of motivation cause you start seeing people working out. It depends what is your goal, if you want to build muscles, lose weight, lose weight and fat. You should do some tests, to see your fat and musclemass % in your body, and check your BMR and start working accordingly. The main rule is to load carbs before working out.

47 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

@Shaykh Patience101 You can't calculate the exact caloric value of a meal. If you do know the ingredients to the culture food, however, you can get an estimate. You can find the nutritional facts of each thing online (rice, chicken, oil, etc.).

A gym will only help you if you know what you're doing. Are you looking for aesthetic body or a functional strength? Aesthetic is what bodybuilders do. Functional strength is what gymnasts and olympic powerlifters/weightlifters do. Find out what suits you best.

Also, there are tons of nutritional plans you can follow. I'm currently doing Intermittent Fasting, because I'm not looking to add weight and it works well with spiritual practices. Find out what works for your body and goals because not all nutritional plans will work for everyone. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Would the healthy eating come first, or the exercise? Realistically speaking, I think I will have to get back into sports/exercise before I can convince myself to monitor my eating. Also, if anything, I'm towards underweight, so, I think to start off, eating isn't that big of a concern. What I'm worried about is that whether or not I will have proper guidance with regards to exercise when I join a gym, which I plan to do this summer. Are the gym attendants/assistants usually helpful in that regard? For example, would I learn of aesthetic vs functional strength at an average franchise gym? And do I really need to consult a dietititan separately? I'm kind of hoping to learn all of this science behind getting fit, on the go after I start going to a gym.

How were you able to get on the right track?

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

3 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Would the healthy eating come first, or the exercise? Realistically speaking, I think I will have to get back into sports/exercise before I can convince myself to monitor my eating. Also, if anything, I'm towards underweight, so, I think to start off, eating isn't that big of a concern. What I'm worried about is that whether or not I will have proper guidance with regards to exercise when I join a gym, which I plan to do this summer. Are the gym attendants/assistants usually helpful in that regard? For example, would I learn of aesthetic vs functional strength at an average franchise gym? And do I really need to consult a dietititan separately? I'm kind of hoping to learn all of this science behind getting fit, on the go after I start going to a gym.

How were you able to get on the right track?

I can't tell you if you should change your nutrition first or exercise. Everyone's body's different. When I switched to Vegan I felt great. Other people claimed to be lethargic, lightheaded, etc. the first few weeks.

Why would it be hard to start both at once? Is it because of not enough time? You can cook in bulk if you don't have much time.

I can't tell you if your gym is good either. It really depends on where you are. I never bothered with any gym that has loads of bodybuilders. My goal has always been functional strength; aesthetic should be a byproduct of your training.

Ever considered crossfit? It's pretty good. I've tried it for a few months and seen some very good changes and you'll get a lot of help from the guys there. Everything's done in classes so if you're doing something wrong they'll correct you.

I don't know if you really need a dietitian. You can generally learn a lot of things from books and forums around the internet. I personally wouldn't recommend it but it's up to you.

On 15/2/2016 at 0:07 AM, yasahebalzaman.313 said:

Its simple, eat some carbohydrates and go lift some weights :pushup:

So basically you should stick to workout for now, because if you just ate and sit all day long without doing nothing you would gain body fat, but if you ate properly and commit to working out you would gain muscle mass and an excellent shape of a body through time. If you want to message me for further information you are welcome. 

Wassalam.

I am facing same problem and i will try this too. Hope will gain weight..

Try to eat vegetables and fruits, it will help you to keep your body fit and healthy. Eating your breakfast on time is a healthy activity because it keeps you energetic all the day. Most of the people nowadays don't take their breakfast as they wake up late which causes body weakness. 

If you only care about gaining weight then here is how you do it:

You eat more than your body tells you to.

You eat late at night and then go straight to bed.

1 month later you will have gotten a nice baba belly, congratulations!