HumanForLife

Brain defects caused by Zika virus could set evolution back 2 million years scientists claim

That's a bit ridiculous.

First, it doesn't decrease brain size of everyone, only children born to mothers who were sick with the virus while pregnant.  Second, mentally retarded and deformed people are generally considered reproductively undesirable, so most will not have children. We need to wait for long term effects before starting a general panic.

33 minutes ago, notme said:

That's a bit ridiculous.

First, it doesn't decrease brain size of everyone, only children born to mothers who were sick with the virus while pregnant.  Second, mentally retarded and deformed people are generally considered reproductively undesirable, so most will not have children. We need to wait for long term effects before starting a general panic.

there will be chaos MARK MY WORDS

12 hours ago, notme said:

That's a bit ridiculous.

It's spread by a certain kind of mosquito's , and has the potential to get utterly out of hand. The cost of life, of disability, and the burden on healthcare and the mental and emotional impact on parent and child have led the WHO to classify this at the highest level of emergency:

Zika Virus Outbreak Prompts CDC to Activate Highest Emergency Ops Level: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/zika-virus-outbreak-prompts-cdc-activate-highest-emergency/story?id=36796510

$1.8 billion to fight Zika: CDC moves to highest alert level: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/08/obama-to-ask-congress-for-1-8-billion-to-combat-zika-virus/

In my view, this is definitely an emergency and while i don't like using the word 'panic', i believe it requires immense heightened publicity and attention. Anyone bit by the mosquito (a female woman) who then has the virus, and is pregnant i.e large swathes of women this applies to, hundreds of millions if the spread and the vaccine is not contain. The idea is not to allow to to get worse because it may yield profound damage and be much harder to control.

11 hours ago, notme said:

Are you suggesting we start to panic now? 

Panic isn't the right word. Panicking isn't going to help anyone.

I think a better word is, realize the profound implications of what damage this is causing, the WHO highest criteria level, the collective consensus among the scientific community about this, and take immediate, far reaching and radical steps before it gets even more out of hand.

43 minutes ago, Tawheed313 said:

Panic isn't the right word. Panicking isn't going to help anyone.

I think a better word is, realize the profound implications of what damage this is causing, the WHO highest criteria level, the collective consensus among the scientific community about this, and take immediate, far reaching and radical steps before it gets even more out of hand.

Yes, but by making the absurd claim that this virus will "set evolution back 2 million years", scientists decrease their credibility and nobody will listen when other, more sensible scientists have something legitimate to say.  Yes, we need to research this virus and look for a vaccine or treatment.  But no, it's not going to decrease all our brain sizes.  

Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a travel advisory because of an outbreak of an infectious disease within 1-square-mile area in the Wynwood Arts District of Miami. Pregnant women who have been in that area anytime after June 15, 2016 should be tested for Zika. There is a map of the approximate area on this webpage:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/intheus/florida-update.html

The exact location is within the boundaries of the following area: NW 5th Avenue to the west, US 1 to the east, NW/NE 38th Street to the north and NW/NE 20th Street to the south.

This timeline and map shows countries with local transmission of the Zika virus. It does not show cases of Zika that were caused by someone sick arriving in another country. When you click on the link, it shows the most recent report available, about 56 countries with local transmission of Zika. To go back in time, to the beginning of the timeline, showing the first local transmission case of Zika virus on Easter Island, Chile, click on the double arrow that looks like the "rewind" button.

http://www.healthmap.org/zika/#

On 8/26/2016 at 4:36 AM, hameedeh said:

Someone told me that the mosquito that carries the Zika virus only feeds in daylight hours, not at night. Not sure how that is helpful. 

I guess what they told you would be pretty helpful if you got bit at night. You would know to not worry. 

Mosquitoes are less attracted to people who eat plenty of onions and garlic and eating bananas will make you smell delicious to them.